Options

Why doesn't Stone sing?

freetibet1freetibet1 Posts: 35
edited June 2008 in The Porch
I remember a few tours ago Stone would sing "Mankind" and that was the only song he would ever do. Any reason why he doesn't sing more?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    paddypaddy Posts: 104
    It's because he's a crap singer. Lock 'er up!
    Hello, is there anybody in there?
  • Options
    Super VedderSuper Vedder Posts: 1,531
    As above.

Have you actually heard him sing? He's certainly not what i would call a great singer that's for sure!!!

Sorry Stone (as you are obviously gonna read this :rolleyes: )
    Black, the greatest without a doubt........
  • Options
    Smellyman2Smellyman2 Posts: 689
    because Eddie Vedder is on the same stage
  • Options
    DanimalDanimal Posts: 2,000
    Cause he has laryngitis.
    "I don't believe in PJ fans but I believe there is something, not too sure what." - Thoughts_Arrive

• Options
    freetibet1 wrote:
    Any reason why he doesn't sing more?

because they really DO care about us fans :D
  • Options
    ozsmalltowngirlozsmalltowngirl Posts: 14,362
    Who cares....thank goodness he doesn't!!! His singing is beyond bad :( I'm glad he sticks to what he can do :D
  • Options
    MrsOakleyMrsOakley Posts: 181
    Who cares....thank goodness he doesn't!!! His singing is beyond bad :( I'm glad he sticks to what he can do :D

Stone has a great voice, one reason he probably doesn't sing on PJ tours anymore is that he's realized the caliber of a lot of the people he's singing TO...it's evolution, baby...
    "Over the dirt, we soar,
    on a search for anything pure."
    Say Goodbye
    jeff aTONEment
    "See, he's got me kinda riled already...jerk..."
    Stoney, about Eddie, with love! (And to his face!)
  • Options
    paddypaddy Posts: 104
    The post above gave me laughs.
    Hello, is there anybody in there?
  • Options
    What's with the Stone-hate? He has an great voice! Haven't you people heard Bayleaf? :(
    Smokey Robinson constantly looks like he's trying to act natural after being accused of farting.
  • Options
    AFJAMMERAFJAMMER Posts: 51
    Stage fright
    9/1/00
    5/28/06
    7/6/06
  • Options
    LONGRDLONGRD Posts: 6,036
    What's with the Stone-hate? He has an great voice! Haven't you people heard Bayleaf? :(
    Yeah seriously...Stone can sing! Bayleaf is much much better than Into The Wild.

Stone, if you're reading this, you owe us a tour my man! :)
    Bayleaf Tour...please make it happen Stone.
    PJ- 04/29/2003.06/24,25,27,28,30/2008.10/27,28,30,31/2009
    EV- 08/09,10/2008.06/08,09/2009
  • Options
    100 Pacer100 Pacer Toronto, ON Posts: 8,543
    freetibet1 wrote:
    I remember a few tours ago Stone would sing "Mankind" and that was the only song he would ever do. Any reason why he doesn't sing more?

because the last time the crowd had his back he instead decided to DANCE!

;):D
    To quote the 10C from Newsletter #8: "Please understand we have a lot of members and it is very hard to please everybody. If you are one of those unhappy people...please call 1-900-IDN-TCAR."

"Me knowing the truth, I can not concur."

1996: Toronto - 1998: Chicago, Montreal, Barrie - 2000: Montreal, Toronto - 2002: Seattle X2 (Key Arena) - 2003: Cleveland, Buffalo, Toronto, Montreal, Seattle (Benaroya Hall) - 2004: Reading, Toledo, Grand Rapids - 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Quebec City - 2006: Toronto X2, Albany, Hartford, Grand Rapids, Cleveland - 2007: Chicago (Vic Theatre) - 2008: NYC X2, Hartford, Mansfield X2 - 2009: Toronto, Chicago X2, Seattle X2, Philadelphia X4 - 2010: Columbus, Noblesville, Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford - 2011: Montreal, Toronto X2, Ottawa, Hamilton - 2012: Missoula - 2013: London, Chicago, Buffalo, Hartford - 2014: Detroit, Moline - 2015: NYC (Global Citizen Festival) - 2016: Greenville, Toronto X2, Chicago 1 - 2017: Brooklyn (RRHOF Induction) - 2018: Chicago 1, Boston 1 - 2022: Fresno, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto, NYC, Camden - 2023: St. Paul X2, Austin X2 - 2024: Vancouver X2, Portland, Sacramento, Noblesville, Philadelphia X2, Baltimore
  • Options
    blueeyedevilblueeyedevil Posts: 173
    I was really hoping to hear a Stone vocal at Camden 1 or 2. Thought that it might be the stop on this tour to finally hear the man live, but it was not to be. Still holding out hope for MSG1, but not holding my breath either.

By the way, some of us really enjoy Stone's vocals. He's not a "classic" singer like Ed, but his songwriting, guitar playing, and yes vocals, are part of what makes this band great. "Bayleaf" still gets alot of play in my house, and I can't wait for a follow up.

If some of you only enjoy Ed's vocals, that's just a matter of taste. But as someone who enjoys singers like Johnny Rotten, Joey Ramone, etc., I find it to be a bit narrow minded to say that Stone isn't a good vocalist.

No reason to bash something because it's not why YOU like the band.

Peace.
    Philly-4/28/03, Holmdel-7/14/03, Reading-10/1/04, Philly-10/3/05, Camden-5/27/06, Camden-5/28/05, Camden-6/19/08, Camden-6/20/08, MSG- 6/25/08
  • Options
    flyinwhole313flyinwhole313 Posts: 1,651
    I actually ran into Stone on Thursday and asked him to sing Mankind and he said "No" without any hesitation, when I asked him why not he just kinda smiled, very funny thinking about it now.
  • Options
    I actually ran into Stone on Thursday and asked him to sing Mankind and he said "No" without any hesitation, when I asked him why not he just kinda smiled, very funny thinking about it now.
    how/where you bump into him...I NEED details and info to find a way to meet my man-crush! :)
  • Options
    Evo2010Evo2010 Posts: 90
    Stones such an amazing singer he doesnt want to steal the spotlight from Eddie. He also doesnt solo that much cause he doesnt want to outshine Mike
  • Options
    UndyTakerUndyTaker Posts: 358
    Evo2010 wrote:
    Stones such an amazing singer he doesnt want to steal the spotlight from Eddie. He also doesnt solo that much cause he doesnt want to outshine Mike

No offense, but there's no way those are the reasons.
    I shit and I stink. I'm real, join the club.

A friend, he called, I didn't mention a thing. The last thing he said was, "Be sound". Sound. I contemplated an awful thing, I hate to admit. I just thought those would be such appropriate last words. But I'm still here.
  • Options
    Evo2010 wrote:

yeah, and he doesn't play ball anymore cuz the NBA kept bothering him to sign.
  • Options
    bernmodibernmodi Posts: 631
    LongRd. wrote:
    Bayleaf is much much better than Into The Wild.

With all respect for Stone and his work - but HELL NO!!
  • Options
    blueeyedevilblueeyedevil Posts: 173
    bernmodi wrote:
    With all respect for Stone and his work - but HELL NO!!

Actually, I agree that Stone's album is the stronger of the two, but I freely admit that Ed's CD isn't really a solo album, so it's apples and oranges. However, I rarely listen to ITW, while Bayleaf has been keeping me company forever.
    Philly-4/28/03, Holmdel-7/14/03, Reading-10/1/04, Philly-10/3/05, Camden-5/27/06, Camden-5/28/05, Camden-6/19/08, Camden-6/20/08, MSG- 6/25/08
  • Options
    CitizenRickCitizenRick Posts: 1,079
    LongRd. wrote:
    Yeah seriously...Stone can sing! Bayleaf is much much better than Into The Wild.

Stone, if you're reading this, you owe us a tour my man! :)
    Bayleaf Tour...please make it happen Stone.

I know we're all on the same team...but this statement is laughable. I mean it's all opinion really...but are you kidding me? Into the Wild is crazy good!
    "Had my eyes peeled both wide open, and I got a glimpse...of my innocense, got back my inner sence, baby got it...still got it"
  • Options
    ealasaid76ealasaid76 Posts: 95
    He should stick to guitar. He's da man there.

I think the only person in rock who's a decent back up, is the bassist of STP, Robert DeLeo. Awesome blend for Scott's vocals.

Sorry to be OT...but it had to be said.
    FREE THE WEST MEMPHIS THREE!
    www.wm3.org
    9/13/98 Hartford,CT - 9/18/98 Columbia,MD
    8/23/00 Jones Beach (Wantagh,NY) - 7/8/03 NYC (DVD show)
    9/28/04 Boston,MA (VFC Benefit-10C) - 6/23/06 Pittsburgh,PA
    6/27/08 Hartford, CT
  • Options
    LUV2ROCKLUV2ROCK Posts: 140
    because jeff is a dictator and runs a very tight ship.everything stone or jeff would like to,has to be run by each other for approval.it's their band ;)
    73,XXX

Member since day 1 here in August 2003
  • Options
    ItIsEvolutionBabyItIsEvolutionBaby Rogers, AR Posts: 397
    He sang Drifting pretty effectively in Oklahoma City few years back.
    Oh please, let it rain today, this city's so filthy, like my mind in ways . . .
    Memphis, TN 08.15.00
    Oklahoma City, OK 04.03.03
    Little Rock, AR 06.10.03
    Bonner Springs, KS 06.12.03
    St. Louis, MO 10.05.04
    Chicago, IL 05.17.06
    New York, NY 06.24.08
    New York, NY 06.25.08
    Kansas City, MO 05.03.10
    East Troy, WI 09.03.11
    East Troy, WI 09.04.11
    Chicago, IL 07.19.13
    Dallas, TX 11.15.13
    Oklahoma City, OK 11.16.13
    Tulsa, OK 10.08.14
    Memphis, TN 10.14.14
    Boston, MA 08.05.16
    Boston, MA 08.07.16
    Chicago, IL 08.20.16
    Chicago, IL 08.22.16
    Seattle, WA 08.08.18
    Seattle, WA 08.10.18
    Boston, MA 09.02.18
    Boston, MA 09.04.18
  • Options
    I know we're all on the same team...but this statement is laughable. I mean it's all opinion really...but are you kidding me? Into the Wild is crazy good!
    I thought ITW was above average at best, but like blueeyeddevil said, Ed's debut wasn't technically a solo. It was based on the film.

Bayleaf was superb in my opinion. I listen to it more than TOTD and Mad Season's Above.
  • Options
    se7v7ense7v7en Philadelphia, PA Posts: 328
    Evo2010 wrote:

The 2nd reason could be true.
  • Options
    Iva...Iva... Posts: 5
    Stone's voice is totally OK and I love "Mankind". :)

And wait a minute, what's this about?
    Speeddiva8 wrote:
    I think the only person in rock who's a decent back up, is the bassist of STP, Robert DeLeo. Awesome blend for Scott's vocals.

Errr...I know that this isn't what PJ fans want to hear (or so I was told), but ...followed any other really famous rock bands of the past decade? Methinks there's a certain lead guitar player who sings in five octaves and provides amazing backing vocals to a not-so-good-singer.

I didn't mean to offend or anything, so...I'll just go back to the lurk mode now and I'm sending a big smile to the Stone fans.
  • Options
    CitizenRickCitizenRick Posts: 1,079
    Evo2010 wrote:

Whaaaaaaaaat! Silly statement man. You can't be serious. Stone is a riffmaster/legendary rhythum guitar hero who can solo... and there is nothing wrong with that.

Give me a break with that other stuff!
    "Had my eyes peeled both wide open, and I got a glimpse...of my innocense, got back my inner sence, baby got it...still got it"
  • Options
    MattyJoeMattyJoe Posts: 1,424
    I pledge to you a government that will not only work well, but wisely, its ability to act tempered by prudence, and its willingness to do good, balanced by the knowledge that government is never more dangerous than when our desire to have it help us blinds us to its great power to harm us.
    -Reagan
  • Options
    KravenKraven Posts: 829
    It's all just inadvertent imitation
    And I don't mean mine
    It's all across this nation
    If it's just inadvertent simulation
    A pattern in all mankind
    What's got the whole world fakin' it

Genius! Let Stone Sing! Let Stone Sing! They haven't played this song about 5 years, nuts no?
    32 shows and counting...