Options

Seattle Talk Show Host calls Pearl Jam/Nickelback a skurge

quasiquasi Posts: 492
edited June 2008 in The Porch
Luke Burbank of Seattle's KIRO 710 tonight called Pearl Jam and Nickelback a "similar scourge" and that they were nothing but "power chords" and that nobody with "good musical taste over the age of 35" listens to them anymore. His show is an evening "pop culture/film/music" type talk show and he's kind of a joker...but he tends to have opinions that he stands by. He said that he would continue this discussion tomorrow. Mr. Burbank seems to pride himself on his musical taste and brings up a bunch of cool bands in his nightly discussions....but this comment really showed that he does not know what he is talking about musically (or is deaf). I wrote an e-mail telling him and that I had lost all musical respect for him (kind of sad because it has been a nice change from what KIRO usually offers at night). Let's see how he responds (if at all).
SEA 9/20/92, SEA 12/7/93, SEA 12/31/94 (MS), SEA 11/5/00, SEA 11/6/00, SEA 12/8/02, SEA 12/9/02, BEN 10/22/03, GOR 9/1/05, SD 7/7/06, LA 7/10/06, LA 7/12/06, LA (EV) 4/12/08, LA (EV) 4/13/08, LA 7/12/08, LA 9/30/09, LA 10/7/09, SEA 12/6/13, SEA 8/8/18
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    rebornFixerrebornFixer Posts: 4,917
    I love the whole "nothing but power chords" thing ... First off, its not true in PJ's case, but even if it was, its fucking rock music. If you're too cultured for power chords, go to the fucking opera.
  • Options
    LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    He obviously hasn't listened to any Pearl Jam album past Ten. What a douchebag.
  • Options
    It's spelled "scourge".

And why would anybody care what some lame-ass DJ (who can't tell the difference between Pearl Jam and Nickelback) thinks?

I remember Howard Stern talking about how Pearl Jam was washed up and how nobody listens to them anymore, and then somebody called in to tell him that they just sold out two nights at MSG, and he was surprised, and pleaded ignorance.
  • Options
    zenithzenith Posts: 3,191
    i have a friend who hates pj - she think ed is dreary and mumbles too much.

she is atm very very excited about buying tix to def leppards up&coming tour of australia.

different tastes ...... :rolleyes:
    impatience is a gift ........
  • Options
    MattyJoeMattyJoe Posts: 1,424
    He obviously hasn't listened to any Pearl Jam album past Ten. What a douchebag.

But even Ten isn't all power chords. Not even close. Has he listened to Once?
    I pledge to you a government that will not only work well, but wisely, its ability to act tempered by prudence, and its willingness to do good, balanced by the knowledge that government is never more dangerous than when our desire to have it help us blinds us to its great power to harm us.
    -Reagan
  • Options
    quasiquasi Posts: 492
    JWBusher wrote:
    It's spelled "scourge".

And why would anybody care what some lame-ass DJ (who can't tell the difference between Pearl Jam and Nickelback) thinks?

I remember Howard Stern talking about how Pearl Jam was washed up and how nobody listens to them anymore, and then somebody called in to tell him that they just sold out two nights at MSG, and he was surprised, and pleaded ignorance.

Ah yes. Corrected. I think I had the comic book in my head. Yeah, I just thought it was funny because this talk show guy really talks about music a lot (talks about MIA, Arcade Fire etc.) but in reality, he just drops a lot of hot music names but doesn't really know a lot about them in depth. Also, he's not really a lame-ass DJ...he's got quite a respectful following and a lot of people enjoy his show (including me). But, I was just really disappointed when he revealed his musical ignorance (he was doing a great job pretending to be Mr. Music until tonight).

Also, I think it's a similar thing to the Howard comment. He's making comments based on 1991 and generalities.
    SEA 9/20/92, SEA 12/7/93, SEA 12/31/94 (MS), SEA 11/5/00, SEA 11/6/00, SEA 12/8/02, SEA 12/9/02, BEN 10/22/03, GOR 9/1/05, SD 7/7/06, LA 7/10/06, LA 7/12/06, LA (EV) 4/12/08, LA (EV) 4/13/08, LA 7/12/08, LA 9/30/09, LA 10/7/09, SEA 12/6/13, SEA 8/8/18
  • Options
    Evo2010Evo2010 Posts: 90
    quasi wrote:
    Luke Burbank of Seattle's KIRO 710 tonight called Pearl Jam and Nickelback a "similar scourge" and that they were nothing but "power chords" and that nobody with "good musical taste over the age of 35" listens to them anymore. His show is an evening "pop culture/film/music" type talk show and he's kind of a joker...but he tends to have opinions that he stands by. He said that he would continue this discussion tomorrow. Mr. Burbank seems to pride himself on his musical taste and brings up a bunch of cool bands in his nightly discussions....but this comment really showed that he does not know what he is talking about musically (or is deaf). I wrote an e-mail telling him and that I had lost all musical respect for him (kind of sad because it has been a nice change from what KIRO usually offers at night). Let's see how he responds (if at all).

Fuck Him
  • Options
    evenflowmanevenflowman Posts: 1,345
    Why did he mention nickelback and them even in the same sentence this man is a idiot. PJ has one of the biggest followings for a band he must be a john tesh fan.
  • Options
    jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    LOL. He was a traffic boy on Seattle radio for a while looking at traffic cameras and telling those of us sitting in traffic what we already knew. He was good when he didn't have to think. Then he produced shows for awhile. He went off to NPR and did a couple of interesting things, and returned to Seattle and got his new show which I don't enjoy listening to. I think he was at his best as the traffic dude.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Options
    obiwon76obiwon76 Posts: 568
    Sounds like upper management lit a fire under his ass to get ratings. Poor soul.
    San Fran 92, San Fran 93, Berkeley 93, Indio 93, Fairfax 94, DC 95, San Fran 95, DC 95, Va Beach 98, Columbia 98, Dc 98, Va Beach 00, Columbia 00, Philly 03, Bristow 03, Chicago 06, Chicago 06, Dc 06, DC 08
  • Options
    Brain Of EBrain Of E Posts: 499
    i guess it's cool if he doesn't like PJ, but you don't bash them in their hometown, i'm sure he's going to lose a lot of listeners
    Down in the hole, Jesus tries to crack a smile beneath another shovel load.
  • Options
    PJ_PhilPJ_Phil Posts: 84
    Can you post a link to his email so that we can all give him a piece of our minds? Sounds like this guy is the type of blowhard who says stuff just to get a reaction out of people. Well, even though it's probably what he craves, I'd love to give him my reaction.

Phil
    Shows:

Montreal 2003
    Boston (1&2) 2004
    Montreal 2005
    Ottawa 2005
    Halifax 2005
    Boston (1&2) 2006
    Hartford 2008
    Mansfield (1&2)2008
  • Options
    chromiamchromiam Posts: 4,114
    JWBusher wrote:
    It's spelled "scourge".

Exactly.... I love how people can just bash someone for their opinion when it doesn't agree with their own.
    This is your notice that there is a problem with your signature. Please remove it.

Admin

Social awareness does not equal political activism!

5/23/2011- An utter embarrassment... ticketing failures too many to list.
  • Options
    gibbitsgibbits Posts: 500
    quasi wrote:
    (talks about Arcade Fire etc.)

If you already knew his tastes were piss poor why be upset now?
  • Options
    rebornFixerrebornFixer Posts: 4,917
    gibbits wrote:
    If you already knew his tastes were piss poor why be upset now?

I must agree. Arcade Fire is one of those bands that people who think they are "indy" have to say they like ... I'd be stunned if anyone actually did, though.
    ;)