Options

response from wmmr

rftuckerrftucker Posts: 25
edited June 2008 in The Porch
June 6, 2008

Dear WMMR listener:

Thanks for your recent email regarding WMMR’s Pearl Jam feature, The Ten Club. The Monday-Thursday feature has been placed on hiatus. You deserve an explanation why.

Our night-time host, Matt Cord loves Pearl Jam as much as you do and was also quite upset at the programming change. Matt is one of the best radio hosts in the country. The fact we are not as competitive at night, ratings-wise, as in our other dayparts leads me to deduce the cause as a musical one and certainly not the host’s.

20 minutes of Pearl Jam music every night isn’t the sole reason for the change but when combined with myriad features (The Perfect 10- a listener programmed hour of songs each night at 9pm, The 11 O’clock News- a block of all new songs at 11pm, etc) it creates a somewhat inconsistent experience when tuning into WMMR at night. The box of chocolates analogy may be good for Forrest Gump but not so much for night time ratings.

We have also pulled these other features as well. We will evaluate the move in 8 weeks.

I thank you for your support thus far and for your passionate involvement in WMMR’s programming. WMMR plays more Pearl Jam than any other station in the USA. Trust we’ll offer plenty of special programming surrounding their upcoming concerts in Philadelphia.

Thank you again for providing us with feedback,

Sincerely,

Bill Weston, program director WMMR
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    memememe Posts: 4,693
    Sounds kind and reasonable.
    ... and the will to show I will always be better than before.
  • Options
    JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,444
    Its very cool that they were honest, and cited business reasons.
  • Options
    Summary: Pearl Jam isn't cool right now, and we only care about the listeners who want to hear what's on the top of the Billboard charts.
    You can't spell "dumb" without DMB
  • Options
    Summary: Pearl Jam isn't cool right now, and we only care about the listeners who want to hear what's on the top of the Billboard charts.

A business trying to turn a profit... Who the fuck do they think they are? :mad:
    Smokey Robinson constantly looks like he's trying to act natural after being accused of farting.
  • Options
    MattyJoeMattyJoe Posts: 1,424
    A business trying to turn a profit... Who the fuck do they think they are? :mad:

Haha
    I pledge to you a government that will not only work well, but wisely, its ability to act tempered by prudence, and its willingness to do good, balanced by the knowledge that government is never more dangerous than when our desire to have it help us blinds us to its great power to harm us.
    -Reagan
  • Options
    Chris1401Chris1401 Posts: 354
    Logical....and at least he decided to answer you.
  • Options

They already turn a profit. a very large one. It's the reason every station in the country is owned by one super enormous corporation that also sells you your concert tickets and owns all the venues.

With that kind of NON-competition, you'd think they might be able to afford to throw in an hour or 2 of music that isn't the flavor-of-the-week

"oh darn, we made 3.268 billion dollars profit this week instead of 3.269. Bankruptcy here comes Clear Channel!"
    You can't spell "dumb" without DMB
  • Options
    AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    i use to listen to Matt Chord on WMMR back in highschool but that was over 10 years ago. WMMR, just like WYSP, has been playing it safe for years. i remember hearing cutting new edge music on MMR on Chord's Planet M show... now all i hear on FM stations is the same fucking 10 Led Zeppelin songs, the same 7-8 AC/DC songs, the same 10 Pink Floyd songs, etc. if i do listen to the radio it's EPSN Radio on AM, where the content is different everyday for the most part. i hear stories from back in the 70s where FM radio was something special.. they'd play the entire Beatles White Album in order.. or Springsteen's Greetings From Asbury Park, NJ album front to back because the DJ wanted to. over the years FM radio has gotten so huge that i think they forgot their roots, .. now i know XM and Sirius are options but to be honest, they're not much better. nowadays the only thing i can be TRUELY happy with is my iPod. my own personal radio station. i don't know... i've been drinking bourbon and i think this post got a little off track but hopefully some of you see the point i was trying to make.. maybe.
  • Options
    They already turn a profit. a very large one. It's the reason every station in the country is owned by one super enormous corporation that also sells you your concert tickets and owns all the venues.

With that kind of NON-competition, you'd think they might be able to afford to throw in an hour or 2 of music that isn't the flavor-of-the-week

"oh darn, we made 3.268 billion dollars profit this week instead of 3.269. Bankruptcy here comes Clear Channel!"
    right on my brother..
  • Options
    IAmMyselfIAmMyself Posts: 667
    i use to listen to Matt Chord on WMMR back in highschool but that was over 10 years ago. WMMR, just like WYSP, has been playing it safe for years. i remember hearing cutting new edge music on MMR on Chord's Planet M show... now all i hear on FM stations is the same fucking 10 Led Zeppelin songs, the same 7-8 AC/DC songs, the same 10 Pink Floyd songs, etc. if i do listen to the radio it's EPSN Radio on AM, where the content is different everyday for the most part. i hear stories from back in the 70s where FM radio was something special.. they'd play the entire Beatles White Album in order.. or Springsteen's Greetings From Asbury Park, NJ album front to back because the DJ wanted to. over the years FM radio has gotten so huge that i think they forgot their roots, .. now i know XM and Sirius are options but to be honest, they're not much better. nowadays the only thing i can be TRUELY happy with is my iPod. my own personal radio station. i don't know... i've been drinking bourbon and i think this post got a little off track but hopefully some of you see the point i was trying to make.. maybe.

Got the point and agree completely, wish I could join you and have a drink of bourbon and talk about how it used to be, at least for a little while.
    "Please help me to help you, help yourself." EV
  • Options
    the wolfthe wolf Posts: 7,027
    at least they were honest.
    Peace, Love.

"To question your government is not unpatriotic --
    to not question your government is unpatriotic."
    -- Sen. Chuck Hagel
  • Options
    irieinindy wrote:
    Got the point and agree completely, wish I could join you and have a drink of bourbon and talk about how it used to be, at least for a little while.
    if you're ever close to Reading PA let me know myman, we'll have a session. i'd love to get to know my fellow Porch members face to face.
  • Options
    chromiamchromiam Posts: 4,114

Guess you don't know much about WMMR and Greater Media...
    "Today, Greater Media is the parent company of 23 AM and FM radio stations in Boston, Charlotte, Detroit, Philadelphia and New Jersey; a modern printing plant and a group of weekly newspapers in central New Jersey; and several telecommunications towers throughout the United States."

Hmmm no ticket sales, no concert venues.. just a privately owned company who's in business to turn a profit and put out a solid quality product.
    This is your notice that there is a problem with your signature. Please remove it.

Admin

Social awareness does not equal political activism!

5/23/2011- An utter embarrassment... ticketing failures too many to list.
  • Options
    TemoryianTemoryian Posts: 40
    I got the same crappy response too. I wonder if they know that I live in Wisconsin. I don't even know where philadelphia is on a map. I barely know how to read. Time to go milk the cows. I love my goat.
    08-10-00 East Troy, WI..."The Icebowl"
    10-03-04 Grand Rapids, MI
    09-09-05 Thunder Bay, ON
    05-16/17-06 Chicago, Ill.
    06-26/27-06 St. Paul, MN.
    08-02-07 Chicago, Ill.
    08-05-07 Chicago, Ill.
    http://www.myspace.com/mitchperzichilli
  • Options
    CitizenRickCitizenRick Posts: 1,079
    Temoryian wrote:
    I got the same crappy response too. I wonder if they know that I live in Wisconsin. I don't even know where philadelphia is on a map. I barely know how to read. Time to go milk the cows. I love my goat.

Goat the goatless!
    "Had my eyes peeled both wide open, and I got a glimpse...of my innocense, got back my inner sence, baby got it...still got it"
  • Options
    muppetmuppet Posts: 980
    I think that's a resonable response, and TBF I'm not sure why people were complaining in the first place. A Pearl Jam dedicated programm is obviously great, but only to fans. They've got to cater to much more people than posters on this forum.
  • Options
    flyinwhole313flyinwhole313 Posts: 1,651

Fuckin' eh right!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    Fuckin man about town...
  • Options
    chromiam wrote:
    Guess you don't know much about WMMR and Greater Media...
    "Today, Greater Media is the parent company of 23 AM and FM radio stations in Boston, Charlotte, Detroit, Philadelphia and New Jersey; a modern printing plant and a group of weekly newspapers in central New Jersey; and several telecommunications towers throughout the United States."

Hmmm no ticket sales, no concert venues.. just a privately owned company who's in business to turn a profit and put out a solid quality product.

Finally, someone who actually did some research and didn't jump on the "big corporations are terrible . . . waaaaahhhh!!!" bandwagon.