Options

Pearl Jam : Top Selling Artist Of All Time?

broken_joystickbroken_joystick Posts: 137
edited May 2008 in The Porch
I was at my local FYE, and I went to look at the Pearl Jam section and they had a black card where they usually have the band name on it, except it was this..

05-15-08_2223.jpg

I asked them if they had any information on it or anything, and they said they had no idea that Pearl Jam even still made music (figures)

I went to another FYE and they had and said the same thing, these weren't behing any other artists, just Pearl Jam. I thought it was weird, and thought I should share it with you guys and see if you had any information on it.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    MattyJoeMattyJoe Posts: 1,424
    Pearl Jam doesn't even compare to artists like the Beatles, Michael Jackson, Elvis. There's no way they are the best selling artist of all time. Those guys are up there in the 500 million record range. Pearl Jam is around 75 million.
    I pledge to you a government that will not only work well, but wisely, its ability to act tempered by prudence, and its willingness to do good, balanced by the knowledge that government is never more dangerous than when our desire to have it help us blinds us to its great power to harm us.
    -Reagan
  • Options
    EquallyWorthlessEquallyWorthless Posts: 3,993
    yeah i think the beatles, elvis, led zep and metallica have sold more records then PJ gfor sure
    {if (work != 0) {
    work = work + 1;
    sleep = sleep - work * 10;}
    else if (work >= 0) {
    reality.equals(false);
    work = work +1;
    }system("pause");
    return 0;}
  • Options
    cbbjrcbbjr Posts: 233
    Not sure what that is referring to. I believe when the 2000 boots were released they set a record for most albums in the top 100 or 200 chart at any one time. And Vs. sold more copies in its opening week than any other at the time, but I believe that has now been broken a few times.
    98-KC; 00-Indianapolis, StL, KC; 03-KC, DC; 04-DC; 06-Camden2, DC, Pittsburgh; 08-DC; 09-Chicago1, Spectrum3; 10-DC; 13-Baltimote; 16-Chicago1; 18-Seattle2; 22-NY
  • Options
    500 million records or more
    Artist ↓ Country ↓ Period ↓ Genre ↓ Source
    The Beatles United Kingdom 1960–1970 Rock / Pop / Psychedelic / Experimental [1]
    Bing Crosby U.S. 1926–1977 Jazz / Vocal / Pop [2]
    Elvis Presley U.S. 1953–1977 Rock / R&B / Gospel / Blues / Rockabilly / Pop / Country [3]
    Frank Sinatra U.S. 1935–1995 Pop / Easy Listening / Vocal / Jazz / Swing [4]
    Michael Jackson U.S. 1967–Present Pop / R&B / Rock / Soul / Dance/ Disco / Motown / Funk / New jack swing

i doubt their in the 500 mil club, i doubt theyve even sold 100 mil

yep their listed in the 50-75 million group
    {if (work != 0) {
    work = work + 1;
    else if (work >= 0) {
    reality.equals(false);
    work = work +1;
    }system("pause");
    return 0;}
  • Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,146
    i think that includes the boots released on cd
  • Options
    jordn6971jordn6971 Posts: 675
    I think Ten sold more copies than any other bands debut album or something.
    "There was a band playing in my head, and I felt like getting high"
  • Options
    Stephen FlowStephen Flow Posts: 3,327
    jordn6971 wrote:

that was vs.
  • Options
    No no, I don't believe it either. I just thought it was really weird that 2 of the FYE stores down here both had them. I was just wondering if there was a legit explination.
  • Options
    CitizenRickCitizenRick Posts: 1,079
    that was vs.

No...that was Ten. Vs sold the most copies in it's first week.
    "Had my eyes peeled both wide open, and I got a glimpse...of my innocense, got back my inner sence, baby got it...still got it"
  • Options
    BrainofdzBrainofdz Posts: 1,617
    I noticed that at an FYE in Long Island. It wasn't just for Pearl Jam though. Many well known artists had the same card behind their cd's.
    "Stunned by my own reflection, It's looking back, sees me too clearly and I swore I'd never go there again, Not unlike a friend that politely drags you down,down,down"

When you see me on the street, yell out "FAVO!!!"

I've been to alot of Pearl Jam shows;So fucking what.
  • Options
    Stephen FlowStephen Flow Posts: 3,327
    No...that was Ten. Vs sold the most copies in it's first week.

I knew that about Vs. I should have clarified. (but obviously vs. isn't the debut album lol) I didn't know that about Ten though and thought he was confusing Vs.
  • Options
    CitizenRickCitizenRick Posts: 1,079
    I knew that about Vs. I should have clarified. (but obviously vs. isn't the debut album lol) I didn't know that about Ten though and thought he was confusing Vs.

Whatever it is...when your first two albums combine for over 20 million sold in the U.S. alone...that's just plain insane!
    "Had my eyes peeled both wide open, and I got a glimpse...of my innocense, got back my inner sence, baby got it...still got it"
  • Options
    Brainofdz wrote:
    I noticed that at an FYE in Long Island. It wasn't just for Pearl Jam though. Many well known artists had the same card behind their cd's.

Oh I guess that explains it better, I specifially looked for it behind other artists thought and they didn't have them here :(

It's still pretty cool I guess though.
  • Options
    GR8DaneGR8Dane Posts: 957
    I think it is due to the boots that they have the most extended music collection, or have released the most music, or, something like that anyway.....
    Everybody made a movie....
    Everybody had a one line.....
    Everybody misses Andy....
    We'll be seeing him in no time.... Oh Yeah.....

We are Red, we are White, we are Danish Dynamite!
  • Options
    Since you won't answer in PM, i'm gonna keep calling you out publicly dude.

broken_joystick, when are you gonna come good on our trade? Where's my 'extra' Gorge box set i've been waiting months for?

You've got a lot of nerve sticking around after fucking me and at least one more guy over w/what seems like the exact same trade

Gonna man up any time soon?
    -Chris
    Male, 34

I'm on Facebook - facebook.com/christopher.leesye1

1998 Brisbane 2
    2003 Brisbane 1
    2006 LA 1 & 2
    2008 LA 2, San Diego 1 (EV)
    2009 LA 1, 2, 3 & 4, San Diego
    2011 St. Louis (EV)
    2012 Tulsa 1 & 2 (EV)
    2013 Chicago, Dallas & OKC
  • Options
    JulienJulien Posts: 2,457
    10 years ago, I had a poster with Vs cover and it was written something like "fastest selling album ever...".
    I think I heard back then that Vs. had been sold very well (many many copies) during the first week after its release and that this was the reason why this was written on the poster.
    2006: Antwerp, Paris
    2007: Copenhagen, Werchter
    2009: Rotterdam, London
    2010: MSG, Arras, Werchter
    2012: Amsterdam, Prague, Berlin
    2014: Amsterdam, Stockholm
  • Options
    Since you won't answer in PM, i'm gonna keep calling you out publicly dude.

broken_joystick, when are you gonna come good on our trade? Where's my 'extra' Gorge box set i've been waiting months for?

You've got a lot of nerve sticking around after fucking me and at least one more guy over w/what seems like the exact same trade

Gonna man up any time soon?

Ouch shitty buzz man....

Not cool dude.
    {if (work != 0) {
    work = work + 1;
    else if (work >= 0) {
    reality.equals(false);
    work = work +1;
    }system("pause");
    return 0;}
  • Options
    HebejebeHebejebe Posts: 108
    jordn6971 wrote:
    Ten must certainly be one of the biggest selling debuts but I doubt it sold more than say Jagged Little Pill or whatever the hell hootie and the blowfish debut was called. Plus surely Appetite for Destruction has sold more.