Options

Anyone Know Why Ed Was SO Pissed..?

binauralonthecapebinauralonthecape Posts: 257
edited June 2008 in The Porch
during evenflow and black? seemed to have an effect on the whole band, im guessing he was pissed at his crew, anyone up close see anything happen?
8.29.00-4.29.03-4.30.03-5.2.03-7.2.03-7.3.03-7.8.03-7.9.03-7.11.03-9.28.04-9.29.04-10.1.04- 10.2.04-10.3.04-5.12.06-5.24.06-5.25.06
...i know all the rules but the rules do not know me, guaranteed...
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    the cooling fans were doing a Steven Tyler thing with his hair.
  • Options
    BinFrogBinFrog MA Posts: 7,292
    I was pretty close and cannot say for sure. I am guessing there were monitor/gear issues?
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • Options
    shareshare Posts: 551
    cubbies were in the process of getting swept??
    just a guess.
    we're all sentient snowflakes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    I'm a number that doesn't count
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    the nothing ventured - the nothing feigned
  • Options
    1STmammal2wearPants1STmammal2wearPants Worcester, MA Posts: 2,838
    I did notice it too being up real close -- it was tech issues. but he wasn't pissed the whole night i didn't think -- the band had tremendous energy and this only was a portion of the show.
    2003 Mansfield III 
    2004 Boston I 
    2006 Boston I 
    2008 Bonnaroo, Hartford, Mansfield I 
    2010 Hartford 
    2013 Worcester I, Worcester II, Hartford 
    2016 Bonnaroo, Boston I, Boston II 
    2018 Boston I, Boston II 
    2021 Sea.Hear.Now
    2022 Camden
    2024 Boston I, Boston II
  • Options
    maccimacci Posts: 1,057
    I think it was either a tech issue.....or he was already pissed about the curfew. ;)
    My lips are shaking.......
  • Options
    NY PJ1NY PJ1 Posts: 9,533
    he was in the sticks of mansfield and not nyc ;)
  • Options
    maccimacci Posts: 1,057
    NY PJ1 wrote:
    he was in the sticks of mansfield and not nyc ;)

BOOOO-YAH!!!!!!!!!
    My lips are shaking.......
  • Options
    100 Pacer100 Pacer Toronto, ON Posts: 8,541
    during evenflow and black? seemed to have an effect on the whole band, im guessing he was pissed at his crew, anyone up close see anything happen?

posted this earlier in the Mansfield I reviews thread:
    100 Pacer wrote:
    i haven't seen anything else mentioned in this thread about the subject, so,...

the pipes visible on stage were blowing cold air in Ed's direction to help him keep cool, there were ducts positioned on either side of Ed's on-stage monitors. during previous shows (MSG shows onward) we've seen Ed complain to Rick (his tech) about the pipes not being positioned to Ed's satisfaction and Rick has done his best to ensure they're angled just right to blow cold air right at Ed, but it clearly hasn't always worked out that way.

last night, however, it seemed not enough cold air was being blown in Ed's direction, which made it difficult for Ed to keep cool. in addition to Ed's frustration with the lack of cold air, on 2-3 occasions during last night's set Ed turned towards Rick to inform him about the issue but Rick's attention was elsewhere as he was tuning Ed's guitars everytime Ed turned to him (Stone's tech had to get Rick's attention each time to let him know Ed needed his assistance). needless to say, Ed was losing his patience and feeling frustrated.

i'm not sure where you were sitting, perhaps the angle was off; however, when Ed left the stage during the McCready Even Flow solo, he walked towards Rick and THREW the bottle of wine right at the backdrop, at which point the bottle did indeed SHATTER on impact. the moment the bottle shattered, we could see the wine just spill everywhere and fragments of glass fly everywhere. none of the crew were prepared for it, and you could see some fear in their facial expressions - matter of fact, Jill was standing side-stage next to Kerrie and even she had a nervous look on her face, although she and Ed didn't communicate while he was standing side-stage after once again complaining to Rick.

after Ed watched Mike's solo from side-stage, he proceeded to take a new bottle of wine and then headed straight to Matt. Ed spent a minute or two sitting on the back of Matt's drum-riser where a cooling fan is positioned, and he had a smoke and likely enjoyed the comfort of the fan before returning to the front of the stage to wrap up the song.
    To quote the 10C from Newsletter #8: "Please understand we have a lot of members and it is very hard to please everybody. If you are one of those unhappy people...please call 1-900-IDN-TCAR."

"Me knowing the truth, I can not concur."

1996: Toronto - 1998: Chicago, Montreal, Barrie - 2000: Montreal, Toronto - 2002: Seattle X2 (Key Arena) - 2003: Cleveland, Buffalo, Toronto, Montreal, Seattle (Benaroya Hall) - 2004: Reading, Toledo, Grand Rapids - 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Quebec City - 2006: Toronto X2, Albany, Hartford, Grand Rapids, Cleveland - 2007: Chicago (Vic Theatre) - 2008: NYC X2, Hartford, Mansfield X2 - 2009: Toronto, Chicago X2, Seattle X2, Philadelphia X4 - 2010: Columbus, Noblesville, Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford - 2011: Montreal, Toronto X2, Ottawa, Hamilton - 2012: Missoula - 2013: London, Chicago, Buffalo, Hartford - 2014: Detroit, Moline - 2015: NYC (Global Citizen Festival) - 2016: Greenville, Toronto X2, Chicago 1 - 2017: Brooklyn (RRHOF Induction) - 2018: Chicago 1, Boston 1 - 2022: Fresno, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto, NYC, Camden - 2023: St. Paul X2, Austin X2 - 2024: Vancouver X2, Portland, Sacramento, Noblesville, Philadelphia X2, Baltimore
  • Options
    NY PJ1NY PJ1 Posts: 9,533
    macci wrote:
    BOOOO-YAH!!!!!!!!!

hehe ,,had to throw that in

he was like ,, i cant believe im out here in the middle of nowhere instead of MSG chanting for my ny rangers ;)
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,245
    NY PJ1 wrote:
    hehe ,,had to throw that in

he was like ,, i cant believe im out here in the middle of nowhere instead of MSG chanting for my ny rangers ;)
    Nah, he stopped chanting "1940" fourteen years ago. ;)

(Couldn't let that one slide)
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    mattcozeamattcozea Posts: 377
    share wrote:
    cubbies were in the process of getting swept??
    just a guess.
    :D
    6-27-98 Alpine Valley
    10-8-00 Alpine Valley
    10-9-00 All State Arena, Chicago
    4-23-03 Assembly Hall, Champaign
    5-16-06 United Center, Chicago
    6-30-06 Marcus Amphitheater, Milwaukee
    8-05-07 Grant Park, Chicago
    8-21-08 EV, Auditorium Theater, Chicago
    8-22-08 EV, Auditorium Theater, Chicago
  • Options
    PJ_LukinPJ_Lukin Posts: 2,049
    I think that these short tours are short on some of the fine tuning that you might have on a typical tour. You can bet Rick will be keeping his eyes glued to Ed tonight.
    ~!~ Peace ~!~ Love ~!~ Pearl Jam ~!~
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,245
    PJ_Lukin wrote:
    You can bet Rick will be keeping his eyes glued to Ed tonight.
    Assuming he's still employed. :D
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    100 Pacer wrote:

Great reporting. Thanks, man.
    I can get you a toe by three o'clock...
  • Options
    swardsward Posts: 586
    Geez Ed...Kanye much? I guess we're all surmising about what really happened, but that certainly sounds a litte Diva-ish. That said, there are a host of medical reasons why he might need the cool air coming in, but to throw a bottle? Not sure I can defend that.
  • Options
    Eliot RosewaterEliot Rosewater Posts: 2,684
    100 Pacer wrote:
    what a diva.
  • Options
    IgottagoIgottago Posts: 483
    I find it a bit odd that some of you guys are on a first name basis with the stage tech.
  • Options
    nfanelnfanel Posts: 2,558
    Igottago wrote:
    I find it a bit odd that some of you guys are on a first name basis with the stage tech.
    this made me lol.
  • Options
    Phantom PainPhantom Pain Posts: 9,876
    If thats case how sad is that

Sounds like a Mariah Carey moment
    My drinking team has a hockey problem

The ONLY thing better than a glass of beer is tea with Miss McGill

A protuberance of flesh above the waistband of a tight pair of trousers
  • Options
    3inputchick3inputchick Posts: 845
    25 thousand people clapping at you chanting your name can cause this type of behavior!

The Narcissistic defense is addicted to power and control, without which he feels exposed to his real feelings of inferiority, inadequacy and worthlessness.

Eddie!
    A pessimist is a man who thinks all women are bad. An optimist is one who hopes they are.
  • Options
    FinsburyParkCarrotsFinsburyParkCarrots Seattle, WA Posts: 12,223
    Rick can come and work for me, as long as he switches the hair dryer onto cold, and doesn't stand too near my mic.
  • Options
    AnnaMelindaAnnaMelinda Posts: 331
    Aside from the fact that Ed is usually fucking with the air ducts to move them away from him.

I have a feeling he dislikes those air conditioning ducts and thinks they f with his guitars (tuning and such.) That's what it appears to be.

I don't think it was his tech's fault. Ed appeared to be really pissy the other night.... I don't think his tech EVER really takes his eyes off Ed unless he's doing something else that Ed has requested.

That guy works his ass off and has been ed's tech since the mid-90's.....

Just my observations........
    sometimes life don't leave you alone
  • Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479
    A little birdy told me it was because his smokes werent where they were supposed to be.
  • Options
    Get_Right wrote:
    A little birdy told me it was because his smokes werent where they were supposed to be.

Ha...Well that appeared to be a problem earlier when he threw his wine.

To me...Ed appeared to be PARTICULARLY grumpy that night.

He was f*ing with the ac later...and does at EVERY show. He was kicking the ac OFF the stage. Actually hit a venue security guard with the vent.

When his tech went to adjust it for him he waved him off. Trying to fix the ac ducts to Ed's liking appears to be futile.
  • Options
    Originally Posted by 100 Pacer
    "i haven't seen anything else mentioned in this thread about the subject, so,...

the pipes visible on stage were blowing cold air in Ed's direction to help him keep cool, there were ducts positioned on either side of Ed's on-stage monitors. during previous shows (MSG shows onward) we've seen Ed complain to Rick (his tech) about the pipes not being positioned to Ed's satisfaction and Rick has done his best to ensure they're angled just right to blow cold air right at Ed, but it clearly hasn't always worked out that way."

I was upfront in Hartford and it was beastly hot and humid. Ed said it was like 'breathing under water' - implying that the singing was tough as well. The tech's were indeed messing with the cooling pipes and his mic chord was hung up on Alive when he wanted to move about the stage. I thought he took all this in stride and was pretty pleased that they were able to pull hartford out of the bag.
    They were obviously tired going into the show and hartford, well, I don't mean any harm, but I don't think it's their fave east coast stop - though it does have some of the most storied and eventful incidents!. Ed even said that they really needed the boost from the crowd that night.

I was so beat myself to turn around and do it all over again on Saturday - I can only imagine how whipped they must have been (and I've only been travelling since Tuesday!). Ed can be pretty cranky - especially when he 'lives for the moment;'.. Obviously I don't know Ed, I construe all this together from quotes and actions directly form the source! I have to say that I have been impressed by his sobriety. I have not seen him drink more than two or 3 swigs before passing the bottle on to the crowds for their enjoyment and they all seem to be having a pretty wicked good time. this way.

My point is that he may just be exhausted, dehydrated (he was drinking Gatorade or similar in Hartford) and sorry that they added that second show (hahah!!!) and thus pulled a hissy fit.
    Though I do agree that throwing glass is frightening, and over the edge. But it sure as shit does feel good!

Let's see what happens tonight...I think they'll blow us away becaue they love Boston. I don't realyy know if they have a preference for the Garden or Great Woods. Personally- I've never seen a bad show in Boston since 92 and I've seen them all.

BTW I have a spare for tonight, but am not sure exactly when I'll get there - maybe 7:30-7:45ish. PM if you are interested with your cell#. Face + ticket bastard charges if that's copascetic with the 10c. Oh yeah, no drunking yahoos or screaming chicks need respond. Thanks ;->
    nikita
    10c number 159xxx (yeah, I let it lapse and will forever be kicking myself)
  • Options
    obiwon76obiwon76 Posts: 568
    Ed throwing wine bottles, yelling at his crew, who does he think he is Axl Rose?
    San Fran 92, San Fran 93, Berkeley 93, Indio 93, Fairfax 94, DC 95, San Fran 95, DC 95, Va Beach 98, Columbia 98, Dc 98, Va Beach 00, Columbia 00, Philly 03, Bristow 03, Chicago 06, Chicago 06, Dc 06, DC 08
  • Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479
    suppafreak wrote:
    Ha...Well that appeared to be a problem earlier when he threw his wine.

To me...Ed appeared to be PARTICULARLY grumpy that night.

He was f*ing with the ac later...and does at EVERY show. He was kicking the ac OFF the stage. Actually hit a venue security guard with the vent.

When his tech went to adjust it for him he waved him off. Trying to fix the ac ducts to Ed's liking appears to be futile.
    I guess he still has hissy fits once in a while.
    Probably the venue that was telling him to shut it down at 11, the tech the AC......
    who the heck really knows
  • Options
    Rick can come and work for me, as long as he switches the hair dryer onto cold, and doesn't stand too near my mic.

Huh??????

Ha. Rick can stand by my mic any time. ;)

And ps ..... It is easy to know his name as Ed introduced him to the crowd at MSG II.

He's done that at past shows as well.... :)
  • Options
    Tuolumne MamaTuolumne Mama Posts: 1,210
    The bottle throwing thing was a bit much: however as a singer, humidity can really fuck with your breathing and vocal chords, not to mention the difficulty keeping the guitars tuned. Ed has always been a perfectionist and his age and quick tour schedule has probably done a number on him by now. Think he just flips when he can't be at his best or give his all. Everything was probably fine by the end of the show. Maybe they should stick to indoor venues in the summer. Just my idea on what may have happened.
    ======================================================================
    "What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal." Albert Pine.

• Options
    pateljampateljam Posts: 340
    obiwon76 wrote:
    Ed throwing wine bottles, yelling at his crew, who does he think he is Axl Rose?

man that's funny!!!
    2000-10-28 San Bernardino
    2003-06-02 Irvine
    2003-10-26 Mountain View-Bridge School
    2006-07-09 Los Angeles
    2006-07-10 Los Angeles
    2006-10-22 Mountain View- Bridge School
    2008-07-19 UCLA-Who Rock Honors
    2009-10-1 Los Angeles-2
    2009-10-9 San Diego