Options

How does Vedder sing Arc on his solo shows?

bovy_jbovy_j Posts: 1,008
edited April 2008 in The Porch
How does Vedder sing Arc? Is there some type of musical equipment he uses?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    bovy_j wrote:

Just a guess but I'd think he could pull it off maybe with some type of loop machine so that he can sing a part, loop it, and then harmonize with himself.
    Bob Loblaw's Law Blog: "Why should YOU go to jail for a crime someone else noticed?"
  • Options
    bovy_jbovy_j Posts: 1,008
    Just a guess but I'd think he could pull it off maybe with some type of loop machine so that he can sing a part, loop it, and then harmonize with himself.

That's what I figured. Something to that effect, actually. But, was just curious if I was right or wrong.
  • Options
    meisteredermeistereder Posts: 1,555

This is it, but you have to see and hear it to appreciate how awesome it is. It is very moving.
    San Diego 10/25/00, Mountain View 6/1/03, Santa Barbara 10/28/03, Northwest School 3/18/05, San Diego 7/7/06, Los Angeles 7/9/06, 7/10/06, Honolulu (U2) 12/9/06, Santa Barbara (EV) 4/10/08, Los Angeles (EV) 4/12/08, Hartford 6/27/08, Mansfield 6/28/08, VH1 Rock Honors The Who 7/12/08, Seattle 9/21/09, Universal City 9/30/09, 10/1/09, 10/6/09, 10/7/09, San Diego 10/9/09, Los Angeles (EV) 7/8/11, Santa Barbara (EV) 7/9/11, Chicago 7/19/13, San Diego 11/21/13, Los Angeles 11/23/13, 11/24/13, Oakland 11/26/13, Chicago 8/22/16, Missoula 8/13/18, Boston 9/2/18, Los Angeles 2/25/22 (EV), San Diego 5/3/22, Los Angeles 5/6/22, 5/7/22, Imola 6/25/22, [Los Angeles 5/21/24], [London 6/29/24], [Boston 9/15/24]
  • Options
    rmst09rmst09 Posts: 57
    I'm not sure what the equipment is called(Liam Finn uses it extensively). It allows Eddie to record his vocals and play them back while singing over them. He can do this a seemingly infinite amount of times to layer the different sounds on top of one another. It sounded like there were 5 or 6 Eddies on stage singing. It sounded unbelievable. He really exerted on that one. It was intense. It reverberated off the walls and ceiling. I wanted to close my eyes and listen but couldn't take my eyes off the stage. Probably the musical highpoint of the evening. Would love to have a recording of it.
  • Options
    Stephen FlowStephen Flow Posts: 3,327
    When I saw it in 03, he had this little machine (probably loop machine?) and he was wearing headphones and he harmonized with himself, layering tracks and playing them back and building a track as he went along until finally he had this really beautiful and powerful track that was playing.
  • Options
    nfanelnfanel Posts: 2,558
    This is it, but you have to see and hear it to appreciate how awesome it is. It is very moving.
    yeah, words don't do it justice. i was excited to see it but it exceeded all expectations. very powerful and cool experience.
  • Options
    Kilgore_TroutKilgore_Trout Posts: 7,334
    surprised he hasnt done "the wolf" yet doing the same thing... would be cool
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/
  • Options
    justamjustam Posts: 21,394
    RMST09 wrote:
    It sounded like there were 5 or 6 Eddies on stage singing. It sounded unbelievable. He really exerted on that one. It was intense. It reverberated off the walls and ceiling. I wanted to close my eyes and listen but couldn't take my eyes off the stage. Probably the musical highpoint of the evening. Would love to have a recording of it.

I would like to hear and see that so much!
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • Options
    cd21millercd21miller Columbia, MO Posts: 302
    saw it in san diego (the first time they played it) and it was amazing. ed got a little pissy because the crowd wouldn't quiet down at the beginning -- i'm assuming the crowd up close may have messed with the machine a bit -- but he pulled it off.

and then they went ahead and didn't put it on the boot...

sigh...
  • Options
    McJuicyMcJuicy Posts: 747
    i think wolf has been incorporated into arc,
    buf dtw buf sce yyz tol grr yhm yyz pit yyz yyz pit bna cae aus lax lax san phl phl cle buf mke mke atl pit buf clt san lax lax gsp cae bna sea sea
  • Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,147
    bovy_j wrote:

i wish i could describe it to ya....he has 2 mic's and starts howling on one and loops it and then with the other mic he howls some more....it was one of the most powerful experiences i've ever seen and am honored ed chose to share this song with us again.....
  • Options
    Smellyman2Smellyman2 Posts: 689
    Check out this dude use the looping. Pretty f'n cool if you ask me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79hJ1hkklf0
  • Options
    sweet adelinesweet adeline Posts: 2,211
    very carefully.
  • Options
    dawngdawng Posts: 644
    it's magic :) and I was lucky enough to hear it at Vancover 2!
    Check out my Sudsy Chick Etsy Store for all natural homemade bath products!
  • Options
    LukinTimerLukinTimer Posts: 538
    bovy_j wrote:
    How does Vedder sing Arc? Is

Really, really well. :D

Badda bing....

I think it's just looping, but however he does it, it's amazing!!
    "Holly f**k, that was so amazing, I just forgot who I came here to see!!" - Courtesy of the guy in the U2 t-shirt standing next to me in Aloha Stadium, Post PJ
  • Options
    PJPixiePJPixie Posts: 3,026
    To experience this..........there are no words. Wow, I can't believe the way it makes you feel to see him onstage performing this.

The lab coat was hilarious tho!
    The best use of Life is Love.
    The best expression of Love is Time.
    The best time to Love is Now.

I'm never as good as when you're there.........
  • Options
    RMST09 wrote:
    I'm not sure what the equipment is called(Liam Finn uses it extensively). It allows Eddie to record his vocals and play them back while singing over them. He can do this a seemingly infinite amount of times to layer the different sounds on top of one another. It sounded like there were 5 or 6 Eddies on stage singing. It sounded unbelievable. He really exerted on that one. It was intense. It reverberated off the walls and ceiling. I wanted to close my eyes and listen but couldn't take my eyes off the stage. Probably the musical highpoint of the evening. Would love to have a recording of it.

sounds great, would have loved to expierience that.
    Some people have religion I have Pearl Jam.

no more shows