Options

Getting to Bonnaroo early..

No Fear Of FallingNo Fear Of Falling Posts: 419
edited May 2008 in The Porch
We are traveling from NY in an RV and will be arriving the night before the gates open.. does anyone know of any spots close to the entrance where we can park and maybe get some shut eye? Empty parking lots, anything? This is my first 'roo, so im not too sure how this all works..
2004 - 10/1, 10/11
2005 - 9/15, 9/16, 9/30, 10/1, 10/3
2006 - 5/5, 5/12, 5/13, 5/27, 5/28, 5/30, 6/1, 6/3, 6/23, 7/22, 7/23, 12/2
2007 - 6/27, 8/3
2008 - 6/14, 6/19, 6/20, 6/22, 6/24, 6/25, 6/27, 6/28, 6/30, 7/1
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    JosephKJosephK Posts: 217
    What time are you arriving? The gates open at 7AM on Thursday. Perhaps you can wait on line and take turns passing out while one person drives? I dunno dude!
  • Options
    pjscreamerpjscreamer Posts: 593
    We are traveling from NY in an RV and will be arriving the night before the gates open.. does anyone know of any spots close to the entrance where we can park and maybe get some shut eye? Empty parking lots, anything? This is my first 'roo, so im not too sure how this all works..
    Look $ da kid hanging wit His boys from Wisconsion bro We'll be partying all weekend the wiskey crew R drivin gDa kid is flying into Ten and busing to Roo.on Thurs afternoon.
    Let's Go Yanks!
    96)Randalls Island I,II
    98)NJ,MSG I,II
    00) Virginia Beach Jones Beach I,II,III Saratoga Springs Seattle I
    03)Nassau Camden I MSG I,II NJ
    04)Boston I,II Reading
    05)Montreal Ottawa Toronto Borgata I,II Philly
    06) Irving plaza Albany Hartford Camden I,II NJ I,II LA I,II Gorge I,II
    07)Lolla
    08)Roo Camden I,II MSG I,II Hartford Beacon
    09)Chicago I,II Philly II,III,IV
    10)Hartford Newark MSG I,II
    11)PJ20 I,II
    13)Wrigley Brooklyn I,II Hartford
    14)Moline,milwaukee
    15)Central Park
    16)MSG I,II
    17)Wrigley I,II
    18)Wrigley I,II
    22)MSG,Camden
  • Options
    NeilJamNeilJam Posts: 1,191
    You can park at the Wal Mart nearby. I think it is one of the last exits before the Roo exits if you are traveling west. You should also note that those who get in the earliest (they usually open the gates early because people line up long before 7AM Thursday) often end up in the camping spots farthest from Centeroo.
  • Options
    Sprunkn7Sprunkn7 Posts: 5,277
    I heard police are cutting people off and no mare WalMart. Just what I heard, a rumor at best but be prepared.
    Thank you fellow 10 clubber for saving my ass....again!!!
  • Options
    LukinFanLukinFan Florida Posts: 29,010
    Sprunkn7 wrote:
    I heard police are cutting people off and no mare WalMart. Just what I heard, a rumor at best but be prepared.
    I've heard the same
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • Options
    NeilJam wrote:
    You can park at the Wal Mart nearby. I think it is one of the last exits before the Roo exits if you are traveling west. You should also note that those who get in the earliest (they usually open the gates early because people line up long before 7AM Thursday) often end up in the camping spots farthest from Centeroo.

Not totally true...I was there early last summer (7am) and I feel I had the best spot at Bonnaroo...right over the fence from the main entrance. I suggest getting in line early bc once daybreak arrives traffic piles up fast.
  • Options
    RobbieC2008RobbieC2008 Posts: 432
    Sprunkn7 wrote:

I am coming down from NYC on Wednesday morning,we are leaving Hoboken @ 8am,should be there around 9pm Wed night...I heard the same thing as well..the Wal Mart party will be no more...all hotels are booked within reach as well...I have to meet @ a hotel for my VIP exchange and I still have no idea where...all I know is 2 weeks from right now Ill be priming for Metallica on Friday night...I cant fucking wait for the roo!!!!!!!
  • Options
    Indian SummerIndian Summer Posts: 2,296
    Good luck to all of you traveling to that clusterfuck. I've been to Roo once, and will never to it again.
    "It's all happening"
  • Options
    Good luck to all of you traveling to that clusterfuck. I've been to Roo once, and will never to it again.

We will all miss you!!!
  • Options
    I've been there once too...I'm not sure I would do it again either. However, I don't regret going bc I had a great time.
  • Options
    AndySlashAndySlash Posts: 3,208
    The line to get in is what you make of it. It can be a moving tailgate if you want it to be, or it can be 3-4 hours or more of pure hell.

If you're not going because it takes awhile to get in, then good riddance.
  • Options
    LukinFanLukinFan Florida Posts: 29,010
    AndySlash wrote:

:D
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • Options
    AndySlash wrote:
    The line to get in is what you make of it. It can be a moving tailgate if you want it to be, or it can be 3-4 hours or more of pure hell.

Ha! 3-4 hours would have been great...I waited almost 9 hours the 2nd time I went to get in and I cannot remember how long I waited the first time but it was pretty intense and HOT. We were drunk when we got there b/c there was nothin' else to do in line waiting for that long. I went the first two years and after that last time I decided not to go back, but mostly b/c of all the people who act like idiots...sorry if that sounds harsh, but people were rude, all about themselves and just a lot of idiots (for lack of a better word).
    I suggest getting there really early, even though I was there the wednesday before both times...good luck! Have fun!
  • Options
    AndySlash wrote:

Sorry, I hit the submit reply button twice by accident
  • Options
    Anyone hear about the VIP line? I hear we basically cruise right in....and to the above post, I have heard not a bad thing about the crowd there, thats a 1st saying people were rude & idiots...I guess Im going to have to find out for myself...but what better way to do it with Pearl Jam headlining...even if we have to wait at the end of the day we see Pearl Jam play on a fucking farm in the middle of no where...that is what its all about!!!! 60,000 people could be the biggest dicks in the world and its not ruining my weekend
  • Options
    Ha! 3-4 hours would have been great...I waited almost 9 hours the 2nd time I went to get in and I cannot remember how long I waited the first time but it was pretty intense and HOT.

what years were those?
  • Options
    Anyone hear about the VIP line? I hear we basically cruise right in

Not really sure- the instructions direct us to a parking lot and then we go from there. My first time VIPing, so it'll all be new to me this year.
  • Options
    AndySlash wrote:
    what years were those?

The first two years.
  • Options
    Anyone hear about the VIP line? I hear we basically cruise right in....and to the above post, I have heard not a bad thing about the crowd there, thats a 1st saying people were rude & idiots...I guess Im going to have to find out for myself...but what better way to do it with Pearl Jam headlining...even if we have to wait at the end of the day we see Pearl Jam play on a fucking farm in the middle of no where...that is what its all about!!!! 60,000 people could be the biggest dicks in the world and its not ruining my weekend

Don't get me wrong...I had a good time and I didn't let other people ruin my good time, I have just been to festivals where there's more a family feeling where people look out for each other. I did not get this feeling at bonnaroo. I am sure you will have a great time!!
  • Options
    Im going too! We went last year. It was awesome!!!! However VIP is the way to do it!!! VIP people go in through another entrance. We still had alittle bit of a wait but money well spent!! I dont think they will be able to stop people from parking at Walmart. But you never know!!! All the police stay at the hotel Holiday Inn Express hotel & suites in Manchester, Tn right down the street from Walmart.
  • Options
    NeilJamNeilJam Posts: 1,191
    Don't get me wrong...I had a good time and I didn't let other people ruin my good time, I have just been to festivals where there's more a family feeling where people look out for each other. I did not get this feeling at bonnaroo. I am sure you will have a great time!!

You also haven't been there in 5 years so I don't think you can gauge what the crowds that have gone in recent years are like. Like any large event there will be some jerks, but most people I've met there the past 3 years have been pretty nice. The crowd changes a bit each year along with the schedule (i.e. many people here going to Roo that wouldn't go if PJ wasn't playing) but there's always been a good vibe there. I was even able to enjoy the weekend last year after my car got totaled getting in line.
  • Options
    NeilJam wrote:
    You also haven't been there in 5 years so I don't think you can gauge what the crowds that have gone in recent years are like. Like any large event there will be some jerks, but most people I've met there the past 3 years have been pretty nice. The crowd changes a bit each year along with the schedule (i.e. many people here going to Roo that wouldn't go if PJ wasn't playing) but there's always been a good vibe there. I was even able to enjoy the weekend last year after my car got totaled getting in line.

Sorry that I told about my experience and shared what I had seen & done. I am not trying to gauge what the crowds are like, I just told you what I experienced and why I hesitate on going back. I agree the crowd changes depending on who plays there.
    I have been lurking here at the message pit and have hesitated on sharing stories etc.. I told you guys about my experience, and that despite the negative things I still had a great time and wished you guys well on your trip. So again, sorry to have rained on your parade, it was never my intention. -S.
  • Options
    The first two years.

well, that explains it. Yeah, the first couple years were brutal for many. It's not like that anymore- they've got traffic patterns figured out and stuff and it goes much more efficiently.
  • Options
    wickedmonkeyzwickedmonkeyz Posts: 489
    Not totally true...I was there early last summer (7am) and I feel I had the best spot at Bonnaroo...right over the fence from the main entrance. I suggest getting in line early bc once daybreak arrives traffic piles up fast.

I think he was referring to the fact that they let people in much earlier than the posted time to alleviate traffic

gates open at 7 am local time according to the website, but in reality they start letting people in wednesday night...otherwise the backup would be insane...those people get stuck in east bumblebuck
    looking for 2 to Columbia...

***GOT EM***
  • Options
    UKpearljammerUKpearljammer Bath, UK Posts: 910
    All those going early should try and catch Newton Faulkner, he's huge in the UK right now and seems to be touring the US hard so maybe some of you will of heard of him. If not basically he's a rootsy guitarist with an interesting guitar technique of basically playing while using it for precussion at the same time, perhaps the best example being his cover of Massive Attacks 'Teardrop.' He's also very entertaining doing a great impression of the Kings Of Leon and an incredible one man version of Queen's Bohemiem Rhapsody. Not everyone's cuppa tea granted but if you wanna be entertained and enjoy some great acoustic based songs then you'll love it. Okay shameless plug over, he's from my hometown and played my festival a few years back ya see.

Newton Faulkner
    Thurs 12th June
    That Tent
    6:15-7pm
    My PJ shows:
    London 28/10/96, Las Vegas 11/7/98, London 29/5/00, Nurnburg 11/6/00, Prague 14/6/00, Salzburg 18/6/00, Verona 20/6/00, Milan 22/6/00, Zurich 23/6/00, New York 8-9/7/03, Boston 11/7/03, Reading Festival 27/8/06, Shepards Bush 11/8/09, Berlin 15/8/09, Manchester 17/8/09, London 18/8/09, Dublin 22/6/10, Belfast 23/6/10, London (HRC) 25/6/10, Alpine Valley (PJ20) 3-4/9/11, Manchester 20-21/6/12, Leeds 8/7/14, Milton Keynes 11/7/14 To be continued....