Options

Mansfield II..did it feel like the last show?

JP2026766JP2026766 Posts: 1,125
edited July 2008 in The Porch
Yes, we heard rarities in the main set (Wash, Education, Satan's Bed, MFC)...but did it feel like it was the last show of a tour to you guys? I didn't get that feeling personally. It was a great show, but I found the encores fairly regular besides Garden and Bee Girl. I was just a little surprised that other less played songs werent included in the encores.

Mansfield II '08

EV Solo Shows:

NYC I
NJPAC

I. LOVE. YIELD.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Yes, we heard rarities in the main set (Wash, Education, Satan's Bed, MFC)...but did it feel like it was the last show of a tour to you guys? I didn't get that feeling personally. It was a great show, but I found the encores fairly regular besides Garden and Bee Girl. I was just a little surprised that other less played songs werent included in the encores.

i know what you mean,this tour wasn't promoting an album so i expected more b-side shit than they played.

don't get me wrong,it was still a fucking great show but i was really hoping for other side or crown of thorns
  • Options
    SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 NYC Posts: 25,891
    People were a little disappointed after the last US tour too (Gorge II). I was there and loved it and learned that night to not have any expectations about any show.
    severed hand thirteen

2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17
  • Options
    UpSideDownUpSideDown Posts: 1,966
    i think the curfew really put a restraint on the band..............
  • Options
    luvisatowerluvisatower Posts: 1,078
    it never feels like the last show because they always leave you wanting MORE......
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Get it now, get enough, before its gone, let's everybody carry on, carry on....
    www.wishlistfoundation.org
    WE WANT YOU!!!!
    join the street team
    http://wishlistfoundation.fancorps.com

"headphones are highly recommended...." Jeff Ament
  • Options
    InMyTree4InMyTree4 Posts: 1,239
    i think the curfew really put a restraint on the band..............

i agree
    PJ:7/2/03.9/28/04.5/25/06.8/5/07.6/14/08.6/27/08.6/28/08.6/30/08.
    10/30/09.10/31/09.5/17/10.9/7/11
    EV:boston 1+2.albnay 1.boston 2010
  • Options
    slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,758
    The encores were pretty regular except Garden and a song they've played like twice live, eh?
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • Options
    Bathgate66Bathgate66 Posts: 15,813
    no,
    the next night at the beacon did tho .

:)
    For the ones who had a notion, a notion deep inside
    That it ain't no sin to be glad you're alive
    platessmall.jpg
    ORGAN DONATION SAVES LIVES
    http://www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
  • Options
    BeerBaron wrote:
    But the problem was definitely the curfew. Who knows what we would have seen that night had the band been able to play till midnight...

how about at an indoor , air-conditioned arena , for starters. ?
    i wont even go into " the legendary boston area " pearl jam shows.
    it was a good show- dont get me wrong.
    but this doesnt , and couldnt possibly touch , an MSG show.
    platessmall.jpg
  • Options
    Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,490
    yeh i dont think it did, its just becuase of the bloody beacon.

But im glad they whacked out a few special songs... probably becuase it was the "end" of the tour.

I just kept thinking, dam this is my last show out of 5 :(
  • Options
    I BrisK I wrote:
    yeh i dont think it did, its just becuase of the bloody beacon.

But im glad they whacked out a few special songs... probably becuase it was the "end" of the tour.

i did enjoy the wash opener, satans bed, 1/2 full , glorifydG , all immensely.
    platessmall.jpg
  • Options
    BlackCorduroyBlackCorduroy Posts: 1,374
    I BrisK I wrote:
    haha same here. the show was still amazing, but the reason it didn't feel like the end was definitely cause of the curfew, hopefully they'll play the garden next time.
  • Options
    Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,490
    haha same here. the show was still amazing, but the reason it didn't feel like the end was definitely cause of the curfew, hopefully they'll play the garden next time.

in just pissed how ed made all these pep breaking crufew speaches, when to my watch they really didn't break the curfew much anyway... well i dont know the curfew for usa venues but when they say break curfew i get the impression of 2 hour 30 + and i dont think any show went over that.

Is it standard just to play for 2 hours and anything more is breaking curfew or what :S?
  • Options
    I BrisK I wrote:
    Is it standard just to play for 2 hours and anything more is breaking curfew or what :S?

pretty sad , isnt it ?

that is unless, we are talking about The Boss
    platessmall.jpg
  • Options
    CanvasAdamCanvasAdam Posts: 134
    luvistower wrote:
    it never feels like the last show because they always leave you wanting MORE......

you should have been at the 11/6/2000 show in seattle. not only did it feel like the last show of the tour... it felt like the last show period.

i think that of all the tours throughout the years, the 2000 tour had the most fitting closing show ever.

there was a lot of drama and emotions on that tour, from the roskilde incident to the political climate at the time(gore vs. bush)... it was intense the whole time.

after roskilde, who even knew if they would continue at all?

but they trudged on and put their heart and soul into it. alive was put on the shelf(likely due to roskilde) and this led to all the sign campaigns during the tour for the song.

i think even the fans were tired by the time they got to seattle. at any rate, i flew out to seattle for the shows, and i'll never forget the feeling in the arena on the 2nd night. when stone played the opening riffs of alive i thought the roof was gonna blow off of key arena. the band never even made a mention of the significance of that event. every person in there knew what it meant so there was no point in saying anything.

not to mention earlier in the set when eddie dedicated off he goes to anthony hurley(one of the roskilde victims)... you could just feel all the tension that had been building up all tour being released.

and then there was the speech before yellow ledbetter. that sounded more like a retirement speech than anything. it really made people wonder if they would continue after that or not. and the funny thing about it was, election day was just the very next day. i'll never forget eddie saying, "if you don't vote, let them put that on your gravestone... john smith... he didn't vote".

and then at the end of ledbetter, during mike's solo... eddie, jeff, matt, and stone all giving each other hugs on stage... yeah, that show more than any other to me felt like a true tour closer.

i have been to 21 shows, and 3 eddie solo shows and i don't even rank that show in the top 2 or 3, but in terms of just pure specialness(is that a word?), it was a truely moving night, and it felt like the perfect end to such a wild tour.

the end
    1998... 9/3
    2000... 8/7, 8/15, 11/5, 11/6
    2001... 10/20, 10/21, 10/22
    2002... 12/8, 12/9
    2003... 4/9, 4/18, 4/19, 7/8, 7/9
    2004... 10/6, 10/8
    2006... 5/16, 5/17, 5/30
    2008... EV Solo 4/12, 4/13, 4/16
    2008... PJ 6/14, 7/12
    2008... Stone Solo 10/11
  • Options
    luvisatowerluvisatower Posts: 1,078
    CanvasAdam wrote:
    you should have been at the 11/6/2000 show in seattle. not only did it feel like the last show of the tour... it felt like the last show period.

i think that of all the tours throughout the years, the 2000 tour had the most fitting closing show ever.

there was a lot of drama and emotions on that tour, from the roskilde incident to the political climate at the time(gore vs. bush)... it was intense the whole time.

after roskilde, who even knew if they would continue at all?

but they trudged on and put their heart and soul into it. alive was put on the shelf(likely due to roskilde) and this led to all the sign campaigns during the tour for the song.

i think even the fans were tired by the time they got to seattle. at any rate, i flew out to seattle for the shows, and i'll never forget the feeling in the arena on the 2nd night. when stone played the opening riffs of alive i thought the roof was gonna blow off of key arena. the band never even made a mention of the significance of that event. every person in there knew what it meant so there was no point in saying anything.

not to mention earlier in the set when eddie dedicated off he goes to anthony hurley(one of the roskilde victims)... you could just feel all the tension that had been building up all tour being released.

and then there was the speech before yellow ledbetter. that sounded more like a retirement speech than anything. it really made people wonder if they would continue after that or not. and the funny thing about it was, election day was just the very next day. i'll never forget eddie saying, "if you don't vote, let them put that on your gravestone... john smith... he didn't vote".

and then at the end of ledbetter, during mike's solo... eddie, jeff, matt, and stone all giving each other hugs on stage... yeah, that show more than any other to me felt like a true tour closer.

i have been to 21 shows, and 3 eddie solo shows and i don't even rank that show in the top 2 or 3, but in terms of just pure specialness(is that a word?), it was a truely moving night, and it felt like the perfect end to such a wild tour.

the end
    Wow! I wasnt there but I can definitely understand what you're saying
    Get it now, get enough, before its gone, let's everybody carry on, carry on....
    www.wishlistfoundation.org
    WE WANT YOU!!!!
    join the street team
    http://wishlistfoundation.fancorps.com

"headphones are highly recommended...." Jeff Ament
  • Options
    I BrisK I wrote:
    in just pissed how ed made all these pep breaking crufew speaches, when to my watch they really didn't break the curfew much anyway

i know what you mean, i was a little dissapointed about that too, and kinda wondered if they ever even intended breaking the curfew like ed said. when he came back out and said something like "turns out it's not really a money issue..", it was pretty obvious they weren't going to go over.
  • Options
    DillsnufusDillsnufus Posts: 1,165
    definitely a overhyped show cause of the '03 show but still a good show.
  • Options
    Rarities for me definitely doesn't make a great show. For instance, I thought Satan's Bed was a terrible choice to break out at this show. Cool guitar riff, but the song isn't that strong. Education was a bit of a buzz kill too. They had the crowd really into it, but it really didn't carry by mixing in those songs. Wash is awesome, perfect opener.

I'm not saying I want all hits all show, but some songs are better in a live setting than others. I would have liked to have heard more songs from No Code thru Self Titled, but they covered quite a few early songs, Ten-Vitalogy. Even Flow has to go, I'm baffled as to why they still play this. Even Once, great song but Ed struggles on it so it's not that enjoyable. I guess I'm saying a show with more later material is what I'm looking for mixed in with a few old school songs.

Either way, it's always a treat to see the band and I don't go in with high expectations just because it was the last show of a tour.
  • Options
    BeerBaron wrote:
    To each his own.

I thought Satan's Bed and Education were the best moments of the show.
    me too, especially education. it sounded great.
  • Options
    UpSideDownUpSideDown Posts: 1,966
    Rarities for me definitely doesn't make a great show. For instance, I thought Satan's Bed was a terrible choice to break out at this show. Cool guitar riff, but the song isn't that strong. Education was a bit of a buzz kill too. They had the crowd really into it, but it really didn't carry by mixing in those songs. Wash is awesome, perfect opener.

I'm not saying I want all hits all show, but some songs are better in a live setting than others. I would have liked to have heard more songs from No Code thru Self Titled, but they covered quite a few early songs, Ten-Vitalogy. Even Flow has to go, I'm baffled as to why they still play this. Even Once, great song but Ed struggles on it so it's not that enjoyable. I guess I'm saying a show with more later material is what I'm looking for mixed in with a few old school songs.

Either way, it's always a treat to see the band and I don't go in with high expectations just because it was the last show of a tour.

not really sure why they played Once two nights in a row.......that was weird to me.
  • Options
    JP2026766JP2026766 Posts: 1,125
    I agree about hearing Satan's Bed and Education, highlights for me. Also hearing MFC for the first time in 8 shows. I think the only reason why I was expecting more was because I was at Philly 05, and the situations of both shows were quite similar, so I was expecting similar shows. Plus, both opened with Wash, which got me thinking. Either way, a fantastic show! Except for that fucking parking lot at the end...

Mansfield II '08

EV Solo Shows:

NYC I
    NJPAC

I. LOVE. YIELD.