Options

so did i miss something?????? also, fellow southerners. come hear me.

Chitownjb3Chitownjb3 Posts: 10
edited July 2008 in The Porch
um, do we know why pearl jam doesnt want to play the south? was there an announcement i somehow didnt hear? do they hate us? if anyone can shed some light on this, that would be great.

also, fellow southerners, what can we do to get them down here. im up for just about anything. do we need to gather i giant petition. a hand written as opposed to message board petition. i live in dallas texas. lets do something. something big. if it doesnt work, then so be it. but lets try hard. we want pearl jam. we need pearl jam. LETS FUCKING DO THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    lets really do this.
  • Options
    RiotAct10RiotAct10 Ohio Posts: 1,613
    ???

They just played a mini tour of 13 shows, where 5 of the shows, almost 40%, were in Florida, Tennessee, South Carolina and Virginia. Did I miss something, or are those states in the south? I think what you meant to say is, you just want Pearl Jam to come to Texas.
    words seem so out of place.

8.21.00 Columbus | 6.24.03 Columbus | 7.9.03 NYC | 10.2.04 Toledo | 9.11.05 Kitchener | 5.20.06 Cleveland | 8.5.07 Chicago | 5.6.10 Columbus | 5.7.10 Noblesville | 5.9.10 Cleveland | 9.3.11 East Troy | 9.4.11 East Troy | 7.19.13 Chicago | 10.11.13 Pittsburgh | 10.1.14 Cincinnati | 4.8.16 Ft. Lauderdale | 4.9.16 Miami | 8.8.18 Seattle | 8.10.18 Seattle | 9.26.21 Dana Point | 10.1.21 Dana Point | 10.2.21 Dana Point | 9.16.22 Nashville | 9.17.22 Louisville | 9.18.22 St. Louis | 9.2.23 St. Paul | 9.15.23 Ft. Worth
    6.26.11 Detroit (EdVed) | 9.23.17 Louisville (EdVed) | 9.25.21 Dana Point (EdVed) | 10.01.22 Dana Point (EdVed) | 2.6.22 Newark (EdVed)
  • Options
    BinFrogBinFrog MA Posts: 7,292
    This just in: major earthquake rocks east coast, sending Florida, South Carolina, Virginia and Tenneesee 1000 miles north.
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • Options
    pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,717
    jeez, another bleeding post about why PJ need to go play the south,

the band are so mean, your all hard done by, blah blah blah.....

work it out, word is the band didnt sell out the last shows they did in your area, its expensive to tour, they can sell out other places so they will go there....easy
  • Options
    not being judgemental here, but maybe part fo the problem was the 2 Florida shows didn't sell out. I don't know how many seats were unsold, but there were tickets available right up until the shows. They've also stated before that they base their decision where to play (and how many nights) partly on album sales.
  • Options
    John BudgeJohn Budge Posts: 260
    I have an idea! Why not start a thread petitioning PJ to play the south?!
  • Options
    RockMamaRockMama Deep Creek Lake, MD Posts: 478
    Mike said a while ago that ticket sales were not as good in the south.
    107 total First-Summerfest, Milwaukee '95
    Most recent: 2018 Stadium shows: Seattle 2, Missoula, Fenway 1 and 2; 2022: Oakland 1 and 2
  • Options
    markymark550markymark550 Columbia, SC Posts: 5,110
    BinFrog wrote:
    This just in: major earthquake rocks east coast, sending Florida, South Carolina, Virginia and Tenneesee 1000 miles north.
    hey, don't joke about that

I'd hate to become a yankee :p
  • Options
    RockMama wrote:

I hate when starting bands try to please anyone anywhere just to get the chance to be heard, and when audiences give them that chance and make them big, they show their real intentions over the years...
    Maybe they should play in smaller venues then, I don't think that bothered him when they play at The Vatican in 10/11/1991 in Houston... or is it about the money? ohhh... my bad.
    Alt-Wrong
  • Options
    suns22suns22 Posts: 94
    RockMama wrote:

That quote always gets brought up, but I think it's BS though. Every popular band in the world routinely plays Texas....except Pearl Jam. Texas has two of the biggest cities in the country, but gets no love.

They hate Bush and they associate Texas with Bush. When Ed was talking shit about Bush at Bonnaroo, he referred to him as a "Texan." Did he have to do that...no.

Maybe when Bush it out of the whitehouse they'll come back.
    San Antonio '03
    Houston '03
    Dallas '03
    Hopefully more to come in TX.......some day.
    Bonnaroo '08
  • Options
    RiotAct10RiotAct10 Ohio Posts: 1,613
    I have to admit, I to wonder why they don't just play smaller venues sometimes. It shouldn't hurt their ego or anything, some markets just don't sell as well.

At the same time, I understand it can be hard to find an in between venue, since there are a lot of clubs that seat 500-2000 people, and bigger places that seat 18,000-20,000, but not really many that seat 12,000-15,000. I live in Columbus, Ohio and I saw Audioslave at a place that seats about 4,000 people, and that worked out pretty well, but Pearl Jam can obviously sell more tickets than that.

It would be nice if they played some two night stands though in places like that, so they could make more money by not having to travel, and still sell a fair amount of tickets. Hopefully on the 2009 tour they will hit some markets that have been skipped on previous tours.
    words seem so out of place.

8.21.00 Columbus | 6.24.03 Columbus | 7.9.03 NYC | 10.2.04 Toledo | 9.11.05 Kitchener | 5.20.06 Cleveland | 8.5.07 Chicago | 5.6.10 Columbus | 5.7.10 Noblesville | 5.9.10 Cleveland | 9.3.11 East Troy | 9.4.11 East Troy | 7.19.13 Chicago | 10.11.13 Pittsburgh | 10.1.14 Cincinnati | 4.8.16 Ft. Lauderdale | 4.9.16 Miami | 8.8.18 Seattle | 8.10.18 Seattle | 9.26.21 Dana Point | 10.1.21 Dana Point | 10.2.21 Dana Point | 9.16.22 Nashville | 9.17.22 Louisville | 9.18.22 St. Louis | 9.2.23 St. Paul | 9.15.23 Ft. Worth
    6.26.11 Detroit (EdVed) | 9.23.17 Louisville (EdVed) | 9.25.21 Dana Point (EdVed) | 10.01.22 Dana Point (EdVed) | 2.6.22 Newark (EdVed)
  • Options
    tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    John Budge wrote:
    I have an idea! Why not start a thread petitioning PJ to play the south?!
    Been there, done that...:cool:....and yes, I bought a tee-shirt. :p
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • Options
    Yellow LedbellyYellow Ledbelly Posts: 3,749
    Hey, Bush may be a Texan but we've got plenty of idiot democrats from the south too! Slick Willie and Internet Al need 'em a PJ fix sometimes too
    All I have to do is revel in the everyday....then do it again tomorrow

They say every sin is deadly but I believe they may be wrong...I'm guilty of all seven and I don't feel too bad at all
  • Options
    PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,778
    BinFrog wrote:

ah, I needed that laugh :)
  • Options
    Chitownjb3 wrote:
    um, do we know why pearl jam doesnt want to play the south? was there an announcement i somehow didnt hear? do they hate us? if anyone can shed some light on this, that would be great.

also, fellow southerners, what can we do to get them down here. im up for just about anything. do we need to gather i giant petition. a hand written as opposed to message board petition. i live in dallas texas. lets do something. something big. if it doesnt work, then so be it. but lets try hard. we want pearl jam. we need pearl jam. LETS FUCKING DO THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

are you from texas? because if you were you'd know that no texan would EVER call himself a southerner. they're texans.
  • Options
    robowskirobowski Posts: 143
    i don't know about you but i was happy to see the guys in south carolina - i drove 5 hours to see them. i think that if they were anywhere within a few hundred miles of you - you should travel to see them because the south (florida, sc, virginia) is not that far away. so suck it up and get out on the road - a nice pj road trip is good for the soul!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    As you live your life in sometimes quiet desperation, facing adversity and tragedy: if you have hope and love, that mixture helps you overcome that tragedy and go on with the rest of your life.”
    --Jack Lengyel
  • Options
    disilluziondisilluzion Posts: 1,015
    They haven't played a full show in MN since '03. Before that was '98. Can I complain as well?
  • Options
    To the people who have to be smart assess. What the fuck? I’m just simply trying to get something going. Sorry I forgot they played some east coast southern shows. If they can’t make as much money down here then what is that saying about the band. I thought they weren’t into being so selfish.
    I have to attend college, I have college loans and I barely have any money. AND I have to work. So it’s hard to travel. But you know what, I’ve spent plenty of money on bootlegs, books and memberships with the little money I have. Why shouldn’t they come to Texas? Dallas or Austin. Austin is a huge music city. Why wouldn’t they want to go to Austin?

Because Bush is from Texas? That’s a big fucking stupid reason. I would like to think the band was smarter and above that sort of nonsense. Most people hate him anyways. Also, if you live in the north. Fuck off, and don’t read my post if you’re only going to insult me. I’m just trying to get people together and get Pearl Jam down here.

Yes Ralph, you can complain as well. I'm just saying if you want them to come. do something about. thats all im saying. gather the masses and lets let our voices be heard!

I posted this question originally cause when I go around reading stuff, some people make it sound like they heard Pearl Jam say they are never coming to the south. Stuff of that nature. So I just wanted to clear things up. Also, I thought maybe we could get some stuff started.

If you think this is stupid then I question how much of a Pearl Jam fan you really are. Because, when you badmouth this idea, you are just another one of the naysayers. You are the kind of people Pearl Jam has been rising above. To try and get them to play here and go against all the odds is what the band is all about. To go against the grain. To stand up for what you believe in. Just trying and not giving in is what it’s all about.

So, I’m gonna speak to just the Texas people. This will be easier to start. Fellow residence of Texas, we need to do something. Lets get Pearl Jam to Texas. I live in Dallas. Lets talk. Lets get something started. I bet we could get them to play in Austin. Lets show them we care just as much as the people who are lucky enough to live in awesome places.

Yes Ralph, you can complain as well. I'm just saying if you want them to come. do something about. thats all im saying. gather the masses and lets let our voices be heard! also, im not originally from Texas. Chicago is where im from. Go Cubs.
  • Options
    Dogman3Dogman3 Posts: 330
    The South supports the wrong President.
  • Options
    just saying. whats the worst that could happen if we try.

go obama!
  • Options
    Stone is a germaphobe now and he heard the south was "dirty".

...oh and the Bush fam are from Ct not Texas.not that I'm happy he is from New England...well actually they are from Hell so i guess none of US can claim them.
  • Options
    Dogman3 wrote:
    The South supports the wrong President.

I don't, and I'm in the south... read my sig.
    Alt-Wrong
  • Options
    disilluziondisilluzion Posts: 1,015
    I'm not being a smart ass. I'm serious. 2 full shows in MN in the past 10 years. The closest they come is WI or IL, but it isn't as close as one may think, especially with the cost of travel the past few years.

But what is a petition going to do? They'll play the markets they want to play and that's that. Sad but true.
  • Options
    Ralph wrote:
    I'm not being a smart ass. I'm serious. 2 full shows in MN in the past 10 years. The closest they come is WI or IL, but it isn't as close as one may think, especially with the cost of travel the past few years.

But what is a petition going to do? They'll play the markets they want to play and that's that. Sad but true.

nahhh... not where they want, to me is just business, and there is nothing wrong with that. After all, we all work for money...
    It just bugs me that they weren't like that before.
    Alt-Wrong
  • Options
    AcesUpAcesUp Posts: 79
    suns22 wrote:
    That quote always gets brought up, but I think it's BS though. Every popular band in the world routinely plays Texas....except Pearl Jam. Texas has two of the biggest cities in the country, but gets no love.

Actually Texas has 3 of the largest cities in America.
  • Options
    mattmidgettmattmidgett Posts: 128
    robowski wrote:
    i don't know about you but i was happy to see the guys in south carolina - i drove 5 hours to see them. i think that if they were anywhere within a few hundred miles of you - you should travel to see them because the south (florida, sc, virginia) is not that far away. so suck it up and get out on the road - a nice pj road trip is good for the soul!!!!!!!!!!!!!

People who aren't from Texas really do not realize how enormous this state is. I live in Dallas and can drive 5 hours and not even be close to the state lines West or South. It isn't as easy as just driving to shows. The band can play wherever they want to. I wish they would play here more often, but that is about where I will leave it.

People get ridiculous on this board and say if you like them so much, travel to see them. I have done that and will continue to do so, but that is not a viable option for those who have families or who don't have the disposable income to do so.

If people from TX, or any other place that hasn't gotten a show for an extended period for that matter, want to talk about how bummed they are to once again be excluded from touring iteneraries, let them/us. What is it to you? Why be negative? Be happy that you have a better and more affordable opportunity to see an amazing show, don't spend your time being an asshole, and know that there are tons of people who are super jealous of your opportunity. Hopefully you won't waste it.

-matt
  • Options
    KertokovichKertokovich Posts: 193
    Texass sucks, I hate it here, but no I can't move. I do think the ticket sales are a big part of it. It costs a hell of a lot to go on tour and they don't sell as well down here, though I must say I would think the last two shows at Starplex, Smirnoff, whatever it is now sold out or close. But to do a tour that makes any sense economically they have to hit areas in that geographical area, and there is just not enough places around here that sells well. My closest concert during this tour was Bonnaroo and I did not want to do the festival thing and I am too damn poor to afford it when I have to worry about providing for my wife and three kids. I think I have finally faced the reality that there is a good chance I will never see Pearl Jam live again as long as I live down here in this shithole of a state. Luckily for me I got to see them starting in 93 and back in 03. I keep my membership up to date just in case something happens, like I start making more money, my wife goes back to work, the cost of gasoline goes down or the small chance they play somewhere close. Any young PJ fans around here who have never seen them need to bite the bullet, especially if they are in college, and get a credit card or whatever it takes to travel and see them as that very well may be their only chance from now on. I don't think they have much plans to put their carbon footprint on places that don't sell out to see them. I also don't think there is anything we can do to change that. They are older, have families and will likely never tour like they did in 03 or a couple of years ago. Some things suck but you just have to get over it or do something about it like traveling to where you know they are going to play.
    Can't You Feel This World, With Your Heart and Not Your Brain
    Nov. 1993 OKC
    Sept. 1995 Austin
    July 1998 Kansas City
    Oct. 2000 Dallas
    June 2003 Dallas
  • Options
    Yellow LedbellyYellow Ledbelly Posts: 3,749
    People who aren't from Texas really do not realize how enormous this state is. I live in Dallas and can drive 5 hours and not even be close to the state lines West or South. It isn't as easy as just driving to shows. The band can play wherever they want to. I wish they would play here more often, but that is about where I will leave it.

People get ridiculous on this board and say if you like them so much, travel to see them. I have done that and will continue to do so, but that is not a viable option for those who have families or who don't have the disposable income to do so.

If people from TX, or any other place that hasn't gotten a show for an extended period for that matter, want to talk about how bummed they are to once again be excluded from touring iteneraries, let them/us. What is it to you? Why be negative? Be happy that you have a better and more affordable opportunity to see an amazing show, don't spend your time being an asshole, and know that there are tons of people who are super jealous of your opportunity. Hopefully you won't waste it.

-matt

Well put
    All I have to do is revel in the everyday....then do it again tomorrow

They say every sin is deadly but I believe they may be wrong...I'm guilty of all seven and I don't feel too bad at all
  • Options
    red mosred mos Posts: 4,953
    Chitownjb3 wrote:
    To the people who have to be smart assess. What the fuck? I’m just simply trying to get something going. Sorry I forgot they played some east coast southern shows. If they can’t make as much money down here then what is that saying about the band. I thought they weren’t into being so selfish.
    I have to attend college, I have college loans and I barely have any money. AND I have to work. So it’s hard to travel. But you know what, I’ve spent plenty of money on bootlegs, books and memberships with the little money I have. Why shouldn’t they come to Texas? Dallas or Austin. Austin is a huge music city. Why wouldn’t they want to go to Austin?

Because Bush is from Texas? That’s a big fucking stupid reason. I would like to think the band was smarter and above that sort of nonsense. Most people hate him anyways. Also, if you live in the north. Fuck off, and don’t read my post if you’re only going to insult me. I’m just trying to get people together and get Pearl Jam down here.

Yes Ralph, you can complain as well. I'm just saying if you want them to come. do something about. thats all im saying. gather the masses and lets let our voices be heard!

I posted this question originally cause when I go around reading stuff, some people make it sound like they heard Pearl Jam say they are never coming to the south. Stuff of that nature. So I just wanted to clear things up. Also, I thought maybe we could get some stuff started.

If you think this is stupid then I question how much of a Pearl Jam fan you really are. Because, when you badmouth this idea, you are just another one of the naysayers. You are the kind of people Pearl Jam has been rising above. To try and get them to play here and go against all the odds is what the band is all about. To go against the grain. To stand up for what you believe in. Just trying and not giving in is what it’s all about.

So, I’m gonna speak to just the Texas people. This will be easier to start. Fellow residence of Texas, we need to do something. Lets get Pearl Jam to Texas. I live in Dallas. Lets talk. Lets get something started. I bet we could get them to play in Austin. Lets show them we care just as much as the people who are lucky enough to live in awesome places.

Yes Ralph, you can complain as well. I'm just saying if you want them to come. do something about. thats all im saying. gather the masses and lets let our voices be heard! also, im not originally from Texas. Chicago is where im from. Go Cubs.
    I'm with ya dude! I'd love to see some more pearl jam shows in Texas. US Texans know how to Rock especially shows in Dallas, some of the best shows I ever attended while living in Denton and I saw at least 40- 50 concerts in the 5 year span I lived in Dallas.
    I really am suprised they don't play Houston too because Ed's sister lives here. (He's talked about it at the shows) and dedicated songs to his nephew. So it is kind of weird they wouldn't play here. I'm with ya on the Texas bashing from people it's old. Start an online petion on here and I'll sign it. remember it worked for the fans in South America. There was a bunch of media articles about it. I can't afford to travel either. I'm out of college, but even with a job it's rough with rent and utilities ect. I'd love to see pearl jam back in Texas- you got my support. Start the play Texas thread! :D
    I know some of my myspace friends from here who aren't from Texas will support this cause for us Texans! ROCK! :D
    PJ: 10/14/00 06/09/03 10/4/09 11/15/13 11/16/13 10/08/14
    EV Solo: 7/11/11 11/12/12 11/13/12
  • Options
    good to see some reasonable, polite people.

but if there are any people from texas that think we can get them here, hit me up. if we can get them here for just one show in one city, that would be awesome.

and ralph, i wasn't being rude to you. that sucks that they haven't been there in such a long time.