Options

Am I the only one who would prefer Eddie solo to a PJ show?

walkunafraidwalkunafraid Posts: 2,557
edited February 2008 in The Porch
Don't get me wrong, I don't think Eddie by himself is better than Pearl Jam as a band...

But, I've seen Pearl Jam a shitload of times now, and although every time has been -- and will continue to be -- magical, the thought of seeing Eddie solo is more exciting to me right now than seeing a full-band show.

I mean, he's never done a solo "tour" of any sort, so this could be really fucking special. Who knows what he has up his sleeve? Special guests, completely unexpected PJ "covers," new songs we've never heard before? (after all, when he played some benefits solo a few years back, it was our first exposure to songs like Broken Hearted, Goodbye, Satellite, etc.).

Call me crazy, but I'm actually feeling more psyched for this than I would be for a Pearl Jam show, with the only qualification being that a full-PJ tour will happen in the next year or so.

So...some Eddie solo shows now + a full PJ tour in the next year or two = heaven to me.
Everything has chains...Absolutely nothing's changed. - PJ

“The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.” - Albert Camus
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    SENROCKSENROCK Posts: 10,736
    im callin you CRAZY. and HOPING the rest of the band doesnt hear or SEE this. :D
    ~~~~~~ALWAYS HAVE A GOOD TIME~~~~~~
    Sir Mike McCready is....THE MASTER!!! WAHHH!!!
    EVENFLOW PSYCHOS H.N.I.C~FEEL THE FLOW!!!

"Pearl Jam fans are obsessed, they'd see the boys in HELL if tickets were sold."-CROJAM95

It takes balls to put out a UKE album!
  • Options
    SENROCK! wrote:
    im callin you CRAZY. and HOPING the rest of the band doesnt hear or SEE this. :D

agreed.

can't/won't speak for everyone but....HELL NO! while sure, i think it will be VERY enjoyable to see what ed has to offer solo, i would most definitely choose a FULL-BLOWN, full band pearl jam show over any of em, solo. i could never get bored with that. 22 shows, i am no where near bored with that. they are so vastly entertaining, each of em, in their own unique way....and i love to see/hear ALL of em. if i had the time/means/inclination to make it over for ed's shows, would love to see em...but given the choice? give me ALL of pearl jam!
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• Options
    __ Posts: 6,651
    Don't get me wrong, I don't think Eddie by himself is better than Pearl Jam as a band...

But, I've seen Pearl Jam a shitload of times now, and although every time has been -- and will continue to be -- magical, the thought of seeing Eddie solo is more exciting to me right now than seeing a full-band show.

I mean, he's never done a solo "tour" of any sort, so this could be really fucking special. Who knows what he has up his sleeve? Special guests, completely unexpected PJ "covers," new songs we've never heard before? (after all, when he played some benefits solo a few years back, it was our first exposure to songs like Broken Hearted, Goodbye, Satellite, etc.).

Call me crazy, but I'm actually feeling more psyched for this than I would be for a Pearl Jam show, with the only qualification being that a full-PJ tour will happen in the next year or so.

So...some Eddie solo shows now + a full PJ tour in the next year or two = heaven to me.

I don't think you're crazy. I think this is a wonderful and rare opportunity and hope I get to experience it. I'm sure it will be amazing! Plus, I'd be thrilled to hear all of those protest songs so many complain about. :)

Maybe seating should be arranged according to how excited people actually are to see him solo. :p
  • Options
    Please don't give eddie vedder ideas that he has to break out of his shell and go solo!
    98: East Rutherford
    00: Saratoga Springs
    03: Albany, Uniondale, DC, MSG I & II, Holmdel
    04: Boston I
    05: Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Pittsburgh
    06: Toronto I & II, Hartford, Chicago I, Cleveland, Boston I & II, Philly I & II, DC, Milwaukee I, Vegas
    07: Lollapalooza
    08: Philly I, DC, MSG I & II
    09: Chicago I & II, LA III & IV, Philly I, II & IV
    10: St. Louis, Columbus, Buffalo, DC, Hartford, Boston
    11: PJ20 I & II, Montreal, Toronto I & II, Ottawa, Hamilton, Winnipeg, Calgary, Edmonton, Vancouver, Sao Paulo I & II, Rio, Costa Rica, Mexico City
    12: Berlin I & II, Stockholm, Oslo, Copenhagen, Philly, Pensacola
    13: Chicago, Worcester I & II, Brooklyn II, Philly I & II, Hartford, Baltimore, Charlotte, Phoenix, San Diego, LA II, Oakland, Vancouver
    14: Milan, Trieste, Cincinnati, Austin I, Memphis, St Paul, Denver, Bridge School II
    15: NYC, Bogota, Mexico City
    16: Miami, Tampa, Hampton, NYC I & II, Quebec, Toronto I, Fenway II, Wrigley II
    18: Barcelona, Madrid, Seattle I, Boston I & II
    22: Glendale, Oakland I, Sacramento, Toronto, Quebec, Hamilton, MSG, Camden, Nashville, Denver, Amsterdam I, Zurich, Vienna, Prague
  • Options
    LONGRDLONGRD Posts: 6,036
    Can someone
    ban
    him,
    please?
    PJ- 04/29/2003.06/24,25,27,28,30/2008.10/27,28,30,31/2009
    EV- 08/09,10/2008.06/08,09/2009
  • Options
    NY PJ1NY PJ1 Posts: 9,533
    no fricking way
  • Options
    AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    ed is the man, and he definitely brings a big part to what makes pearl jam pearl jam. but to say that you would PREFER ed solo rather than pearl jam is just insane.
  • Options
    you're not crazy, i hear you
    MSG 2 - 03
    Ed Sullivan Theater - 06
    Irving Plaza - 06
    Albany - 06
    Hartford - 06
    East Rutherford 1 & 2 - 06
    San Francisco 1 & 2 - 06
    Bonnaroo - 08
    MSG 1 & 2 - 08
    Hartford - 08
    Mansfield 1 - 08
  • Options
    you're not crazy, i hear you
    you are an
    elderly man
    is that why?
  • Options
    shadowcastshadowcast Posts: 2,177
    Ed by himself is like a car with 4 cylinders. Him with the band like a well oiled machine. So no....Ed is better with the boys.
  • Options
    12345AGNST112345AGNST1 Posts: 4,906
    as ed sings in baba o riley...... "oh no no no nonono!!!"

i think it wouldve been great if he did it earlier... but now? i really hope this doesnt get in the way of PJ touring. id much rather hear PJ then just ed.
    5/28/06, 6/27/08, 10/28/09, 5/18/10, 5/21/10
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
  • Options
    SDHSClassof82SDHSClassof82 Seattle Posts: 306
    Am I the only one who would prefer Eddie solo to a PJ show

<whispering, very, very quietly so no one else can hear>....You're not alone.

Maybe I can take some heat off you by going so far as to say: I really hope it is just him on stool with his acoustic guitar. That voice, that passion, all those beautiful Into The Wild songs. That's all I need.

Of course this means I'll probably run into the rest of the band tomorrow...in an elevator...with Barack Obama. They will have read this and it will be VERY awkward.
    “Wind in my hair, I feel part of everywhere...
    Late at night I hear the trees, they're singing with the dead...overhead...”
  • Options
    SCRIBLING C-MENTSCRIBLING C-MENT Springfield, IL Posts: 248
    SENROCK! wrote:
    BINGO, hello!(?)
  • Options
    SCRIBLING C-MENTSCRIBLING C-MENT Springfield, IL Posts: 248

Maybe I can take some heat off you by going so far as to say: I really hope it is just him on stool with his acoustic guitar. That voice, that passion, all those beautiful Into The Wild songs. That's all I need.

Of course this means I'll probably run into the rest of the band tomorrow...in an elevator...with Barack Obama. They will have read this and it will be VERY awkward.

You're an idiot!
  • Options

I
    hope
    you're
    drunk or on drugs.
  • Options
    SDHSClassof82SDHSClassof82 Seattle Posts: 306
    You're an idiot!

Such harshness from someone with such a uplifting signature line....and a word misspelled in their location.

Glad they'll be one less person scrambling for West Coast tix on Monday morning.
    “Wind in my hair, I feel part of everywhere...
    Late at night I hear the trees, they're singing with the dead...overhead...”
  • Options
    Ed by himself is like a car with 4 cylinders. Him with the band like a well oiled machine. So no....Ed is better with the boys.

I think you, and many others, are missing my point.

I clearly stated in my original post in this thread that I DON'T think Eddie by himself is better than Eddie with the rest of the band.

My point is that I am more intrigued/excited to see Eddie solo than to see a full band show right now. That's not implying that I hope he goes solo for good, or that he takes time away from the band to do his own thing (both of which I would be devastated about)...

...it simply means that I already pretty much know what to expect with a Pearl Jam show (having been to so many), but I really have no idea what to expect at an Eddie Vedder solo show (having been to none). For that reason, and that reason only, I am more excited for this than I would be for a full-PJ show.

To draw an analogy, Jeff Tweedy (lead singer of Wilco) has gone on a few solo tours in the past. I fucking LOVE Wilco, and 1000% believe that their shows are amazing. However, I saw Tweedy solo for the first time last year, and it completely blew me away.

It was just a man and many guitars, putting completely new spins on Wilco songs, treating them in a brand new way that was really quite amazing. There is much beauty in that. Even if I wouldn't say his solo show is "better" than Wilco's full band show, on that night I was very happy that he was alone, because what he brought to the songs he played was something he couldn't have done with the rest of the band.
    Everything has chains...Absolutely nothing's changed. - PJ

“The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.” - Albert Camus
  • Options
    SENROCKSENROCK Posts: 10,736

I clearly stated in my original post in this thread that I DON'T think Eddie by himself is better than Eddie with the rest of the band.

My point is that I am more intrigued/excited to see Eddie solo than to see a full band show right now. That's not implying that I hope he goes solo for good, or that he takes time away from the band to do his own thing (both of which I would be devastated about)...

...it simply means that I already pretty much know what to expect with a Pearl Jam show (having been to so many), but I really have no idea what to expect at an Eddie Vedder solo show (having been to none). For that reason, and that reason only, I am more excited for this than I would be for a full-PJ show.

To draw an analogy, Jeff Tweedy (lead singer of Wilco) has gone on a few solo tours in the past. I fucking LOVE Wilco, and 1000% believe that their shows are amazing. However, I saw Tweedy solo for the first time last year, and it completely blew me away.

It was just a man and many guitars, putting completely new spins on Wilco songs, treating them in a brand new way that was really quite amazing. There is much beauty in that. Even if I wouldn't say his solo show is "better" than Wilco's full band show, on that night I was very happy that he was alone, because what he brought to the songs he played was something he couldn't have done with the rest of the band.
    i totally get what your saying. i personally prefer to see/hear the whole band. Eds voice is unmatchable, he's one of a kind, his voice can soothe you thru ANY pain, its like a choir of angels. However, im not a big fan of him doing PORCH alone during a preset dammit!!! see what i mean? And im more for the faster songs rather than the itw stuff. but thats MY opinion. :D not to mention alot of 'front men' have started out doing a small group of solo shows and they dont go back to their band!!! :eek: Jonathan Davis did this last year and now.....theres NO KORN! :mad:
    ~~~~~~ALWAYS HAVE A GOOD TIME~~~~~~
    Sir Mike McCready is....THE MASTER!!! WAHHH!!!
    EVENFLOW PSYCHOS H.N.I.C~FEEL THE FLOW!!!

"Pearl Jam fans are obsessed, they'd see the boys in HELL if tickets were sold."-CROJAM95

It takes balls to put out a UKE album!
  • Options

i think many of us *get your point*...and yet, still disagree, that's all. sure, it would be cool to see ed solo, see what he has to offer on his own...said as much earlier. however, given the choice...i'd take ALL of pearl jam over that. just differing perspectives is all. you asked a question....many answered. :)

oh and yes...while i love many of the slower pj songs, i really don't have any crazy love for into the wild. i thought it a great soundtrack to the movie, loved it while WATCHING the movie, but for me personally....listened a couple times, and it doesn't *grab* me like pearl jam. c'est la vie!
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• Options
    pjalive21pjalive21 St. Louis, MO Posts: 2,818
    solo shows are special, but nothing beats the whole band together and the chemistry they have, so i politely disagree
  • Options
    I think a lot of people's opinions would change if they lived in the areas of where the solo shows would take place.

If I lived in the East Coast I think I would have to play these shows down just to keep my disappointment to a manageable level.

Bottom line is, if you are going to any of the shows there is a definite interest--and what would really further prove walkunafraid's question is if you find yourself going to more than one, what does that say about how excited you really are? I don’t think anyone PREFERS seeing Ed solo over PEARL JAM, but if that’s what’s on the table than I’m going to grab on to it and celebrate it as much as I would any other Pearl Jam tour news.

...and as far as the unexpected surprises go at an Ed show...I wouldn’t be at all disappointed if it was something so "familiar" as a member of the band (Jeff would be an AWESOME surprise ;) )

Either way, I am TOTALLY excited for these shows!!!!
  • Options
    __ Posts: 6,651

I completely agree! It's all about Eddie's voice and energy for me. I don't even care if he has a guitar. Hell, I don't even care if he has a stool. (He can sit in my lap. :p ) I will hope for many songs in addition to Into the Wild songs though.

[Obvious disclaimer: Yes, I still LOVE the band and would never want them to break up. But what does one have to do with the other? This is a rare opportunity. If I were Eddie and I read all the comments on the board about "Why would we want to pay $65 when it's ONLY Eddie" and "What a punk for only playing the west coat" and stuff, I'd just keep my ass at home and play for my family and friends who appreciate me.]

Glad they'll be one less person scrambling for West Coast tix on Monday morning.

Too bad this probably isn't true. It's going to be sad when those who are genuinely excited about seeing Eddie solo don't get tickets because of those who are pissy about it but still feel the need to make it to every show. :(
  • Options
    I think a lot of people's opinions would change if they lived in the areas of where the solo shows would take place.

If I lived in the East Coast I think I would have to play these shows down just to keep my disappointment to a manageable level.

Bottom line is, if you are going to any of the shows there is a definite interest--and what would really further prove walkunafraid's question is if you find yourself going to more than one, what does that say about how excited you really are? I don’t think anyone PREFERS seeing Ed solo over PEARL JAM, but if that’s what’s on the table than I’m going to grab on to it and celebrate it as much as I would any other Pearl Jam tour news.

...and as far as the unexpected surprises go at an Ed show...I wouldn’t be at all disappointed if it was something so "familiar" as a member of the band (Jeff would be an AWESOME surprise ;) )

Either way, I am TOTALLY excited for these shows!!!!

nope. not in the least. absolutely would go see ed solo, already said as much. would love to witness it, think it would be special...sure! but given the CHOICE between solo ed or pearl jam....give me pearl jam! the question posed was 'am i the only one more excited to see ed solo over pj'...and to that i say...YES! at least from my personal perspective. hell yes, tho, i'd go! so absolutely...those going, enjoy, celebrate! :)
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• Options
    dawngdawng Posts: 644
    I am very excited about seeing Eddie doing the into the wild solo show - it will not be the same as a PJ show, but it will be great in a completely different way. I am hoping to see just Eddie on a stool with his guitar in a beautiful venue with great acoustics.
    Check out my Sudsy Chick Etsy Store for all natural homemade bath products!
  • Options
    smile05smile05 Posts: 600

Dont let all that good work you did on the survivour rounds go wasted man!!!

Just joking,just as long has doesnt quit the jam on us.
    1:Black 2:Corduroy 3:All Those Yesterdays 4:I Got ID 5:Smile

They can buy but cant put on my clothes
    Throw down my ace in the hole~~~~~~

Let's go for three in a row, no sorry i can't think of anything thats not funny. - Paul Merton

London96,Manchester00,Berlin06,London07
  • Options
    i would love to see ed solo but theres no way i can say i'd "prefer" it.
  • Options
    tofatofa Posts: 51
    SENROCK! wrote:

Yes! Over and out!!!
    Wembley 07
    "You'll never walk alone"
    ***** LFC
  • Options
    I'll support you on this, walkunafraid. I've always looked forward to Ed's presets before PJ shows. It always shocked me that so few people would be there early enough to catch it. While Ed by himself doesn't provide the emotion and catharsis of the whole band, there's just something so personal about those sets. It's like Ed talking to us directly with no barriers.

And I'm not just saying this because I'm one of the fortunate ones who will be able to go to the shows. I live in New York, so the logistics are a lot more complicated -- and expensive. But I'll probably still try for tickets tomorrow. It's something I really don't want to miss.
  • Options
    einatshauleinatshaul Posts: 2,219
    I'll be looking to the left... But I won't be seeing you...
  • Options
    whoyouare72whoyouare72 Chicago IL Posts: 2,070
    Call me crazy......

Yes you are crazy!!!!!