Memorable Eddie solo performances

||Release_Me||||Release_Me|| Posts: 1,871
edited February 2008 in The Porch
After re-watching Storytellers this evening, i'm totally in love with that version of "Here's to the State of Mississippi". It's absolutely beautiful.

I've always loved Ed's cover of 'Let My Love Open The Door' from Carnegie Hall in '94 for Roger Daltrey's birthday. I used to have the mp3 of it but i seem to have misplaced it. It wasn't filmed as far as i know, but i'd love to see a video of this performance one day. Ed completely nails it.

I also have to mention 'No More' from Nijmegen '07. For me, this is the definitive version of the song. It was still such a new song but there were about 40,000 people treating it as if it were an old classic. The audience participation for this one was just insane. And good ol' Ed really belted it out too; you could tell he was feeling it.

Feel free to post some of your own personal favourites!
"This town deserves a better class of criminal... and I'm gonna give it to them."

Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• pjtradekingpjtradeking Posts: 4,045
    After re-watching Storytellers this evening, i'm totally in love with that version of "Here's to the State of Mississippi". It's absolutely beautiful.

I've always loved Ed's cover of 'Let My Love Open The Door' from Carnegie Hall in '94 for Roger Daltrey's birthday. I used to have the mp3 of it but i seem to have misplaced it. It wasn't filmed as far as i know, but i'd love to see a video of this performance one day. Ed completely nails it.

I also have to mention 'No More' from Nijmegen '07. For me, this is the definitive version of the song. It was still such a new song but there were about 40,000 people treating it as if it were an old classic. The audience participation for this one was just insane. And good ol' Ed really belted it out too; you could tell he was feeling it.

Sheraton Gibson, The Kids are alright (ca. 92-93) and Sleepless nights(w/Beck) a few years back are a few of my favs...He and Beck sound GREAT together imho...
    Never, ever, flipping forget
    "Free Shipping" SPEEDY MCCREADY

My friend was going to see Eddie last night. Since he was in Vegas, I gave him 5 Grand to gamble with. I told him I wanted it all to go on Black. Bastard! PhillyCrownOfThorns-11-2-12
  • After re-watching Storytellers this evening, i'm totally in love with that version of "Here's to the State of Mississippi". It's absolutely beautiful.

i can't find that Carnegie Hall performance...anybody have it and wanna send it to me?? thank you much.
    me you wouldn't recall, cause i'm not my former.
  • i can't find that Carnegie Hall performance...anybody have it and wanna send it to me?? thank you much.

good thinking, i'd love to hear it again too.
    "This town deserves a better class of criminal... and I'm gonna give it to them."

• Throw Your Arms never hurt a soul.
  • Masters of War, Benaroya
    " Jump from a cliff to fly, not to fall..."
  • __ Posts: 6,651
    Masters of War at the Bob Dylan 30th Anniversary concert has got to be one of the most powerful performances - of any song, by anyone - I've ever heard.
  • "The Seeker"
    2004 CCFA show

I almost sung it louder than Ed, and was rewarded with his guitar pic, lol (I was right in front of him at the stage)..all about The Who baby!
    "Music, for me, was fucking heroin." eV (nothing Ed has said is more true for me personally than this quote)

Stop by:
    http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=14678777351&ref=mf
  • __ Posts: 6,651
    I Am a Patriot
    Nader Rally
  • simpleman wrote:
    Masters of War, Benaroya

awesome, but not solo.
  • awesome, but not solo.
    oops, sorry. I just got excited about it!! I would have to say when he sang Happy Birthday to me in my living room. What an 85th birthday party that was!!
    " Jump from a cliff to fly, not to fall..."
  • darthvedderdarthvedder Posts: 2,465
    Trouble at the Dead Man Walking concert.
  • brainofPJbrainofPJ Posts: 2,361
    scb wrote:
    Masters of War at the Bob Dylan 30th Anniversary concert has got to be one of the most powerful performances - of any song, by anyone - I've ever heard.

hell yes.

i woke up to this version every morning for about 6 months...

what a way to wake up.

Esther's here and she's sick?

hi Esther, now we are all going to be sick, thanks
  • red mosred mos Posts: 4,953
    scb wrote:
    Agreed, it is fucking Amazing. Just Mike and G.E. Smith as Ed's backing band if I recall. Oh, man I love that version. :D

I also really liked Tracy Chapman's version of "the times they are A changin" as well from that show.
    PJ: 10/14/00 06/09/03 10/4/09 11/15/13 11/16/13 10/08/14
    EV Solo: 7/11/11 11/12/12 11/13/12
  • After re-watching Storytellers this evening, i'm totally in love with that version of "Here's to the State of Mississippi". It's absolutely beautiful.
    You should hear the version he played at Sleater-Kinney's last show. And the reception it got from a S-K audience. Amazing.

Both the solo shows in LA in 2002 (Royce Hall & Wiltern) are unbelievable, in particular the new uke songs - You're True, Satellite, Goodbye, Broken Heart & Longing to Belong (although the last one is not quite solo).
    93: Slane
    96: Cork, Dublin
    00: Dublin
    06: London, Dublin
    07: London, Copenhagen, Nijmegen
    09: Manchester, London
    10: Dublin, Belfast, London & Berlin
    11: San José
    12: Isle of Wight, Copenhagen, Ed in Manchester & London x2
  • The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Verona??? it's all surmountable
    Dublin 23.08.06 "The beauty of Ireland, right there!"
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Copenhagen?? your light made us stars
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
    Had I not found this love with you
  • QuarterToTenQuarterToTen Cincinnati, Ohio Posts: 3,626
  • You should hear the version he played at Sleater-Kinney's last show. And the reception it got from a S-K audience. Amazing.

Where might i find this?