Options

Clive Davis out, Pearl Jam's next record?

2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,144
edited April 2008 in The Porch
just read that Clive Davis was removed from running Sony BMG and that someone new will be running J Records. i know they only signed a one album deal with J Records, but am wondering how this might impact the next record? any thoughts out there? wonder if they were planning on continuing on with J Records.
www.cluthelee.com
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    just read that Clive Davis was removed from running Sony BMG and that someone new will be running J Records. i know they only signed a one album deal with J Records, but am wondering how this might impact the next record? any thoughts out there? wonder if they were planning on continuing on with J Records.

I'd be so pleased if they found another label for the next album.
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,144
    there's always Radiohead's most recent idea...
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    they have a distribution deal with J (if my memory is correct). they aren't signed to a label.
  • Options
    aNiMaLaNiMaL Posts: 7,118
    Didn't PJ just recently work with Rhino Records on something?
  • Options
    aNiMaLaNiMaL Posts: 7,118
    hobbes wrote:
    they have a distribution deal with J (if my memory is correct). they aren't signed to a label.
    According to Mike McCready, they did have a 1 record deal with J for the last record. And yeah, it was mostly for distribution purposes.

I'm sure that no matter which record label they go with (because even Radiohead had to have a large company eventually distribute it to stores), it would be for distribution purposes only. PJ is smart enough now to retain ownership of their material.
  • Options
    Who says they'll even have another record?
  • Options
    MKTerpMKTerp Posts: 66

Pretty sure they've talked about going back into the studio this year, and mentioned working with Brendan O'Brien on the next album.
  • Options
    Kilgore_TroutKilgore_Trout Posts: 7,334
    i think Stone said something in that recent online interview that they intended on switching things up alot from now on... i dont think the next one wouldve been with J regardless of Davis... and i dont see it effecting the outcome of the album all that much
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/
  • Options
    New music from Pearl Jam soon would be awesome.

For the first few days after a new record, for me, it's like the closest thing to flying. This band puts amazing amounts of emotion into their music!
    Chicago 8-23-09

• Options
    FahkaFahka Posts: 3,187
    I'd be so pleased if they found another label for the next album.

ditto... they should just start their own :D
  • Options
    Stone should get LooseGroove back up and running...:D
    Smokey Robinson constantly looks like he's trying to act natural after being accused of farting.
  • Options
    UnkeptUnkept Posts: 65
    Don't think they'll be with J...Hopefully they just put it out themselves...The demise of the big labels can't come soon enough. Tons of acts are abandoning the old label system, and I think it's the best thing that can happen for music. They make more money, don't have to try to target the general mass, and the quality of music goes up..And at this point I wanna hear whatever direction they wanna go without regard for trying to write those hit singles..Not that they worry about that too much.
  • Options
    VOLITIONVOLITION Posts: 328
    didn't Mike or Ed say the other night that they have been back in the studio?
    "it feels like it's the end of the world and we all got a good seat. you know -- step right up, get your tickets...here we go."

- EV
  • Options
    abyanksabyanks Posts: 59
    yeah i thought they said they were meeting to write.. but idk
  • Options
    Sub Pop
    Let's see those 2013 dates in the southern states.
  • Options
    IAmMyselfIAmMyself Posts: 667

They've said, and I tend to live in this world!
    "Please help me to help you, help yourself." EV