Options

Anyone remember

yokeyoke Posts: 1,440
edited May 2008 in The Porch
When PJ debuted Animal on MTV? I remember planning my night around that show and I have to say I was blown away. Then to top it off, Neil comes out to play with them and blew the roof off that place. I remember that night and the next day at work(I was a bus boy at a local bar/rest, I was 18 at the time) and me and the other wait staff tried to recreate the performance. I had "taped"(looped from my tv into my stereo) it off MTV and played on the bar sound system about 10 times that night.

When that album was comin out it was so anticipated it was unreal, my local record shop had a section just for that CD and tape with a sign over it that said "Eat it". To this day at least in my travels of music I have never had that same type of experience with any other band, maybe it will happen again and maybe it won't but I would like to think that another band can come out and captivate the industry again like they did.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AIgfYVq5Y5A
Thats a lovely accent you have. New Jersey?

www.seanbrady.net
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    yellowled24yellowled24 Posts: 3,118
    I was only young back then, maybe 8 or 9 and I remember Ed and his fuzzy hair and I think the back drop was, like, red or something.....
    All I remember thinking was "Wow, that guy has sticky-outtie hair!"

Little did I know I would idolise him one day :rolleyes:
    "....and was very surprised to see that he didnt actually have a recipe for anus-ankle soup." - Big Ed
  • Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,146
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=AIgfYVq5Y5A

that's for bring up this memory.....i was anxious to hear any new pj and from the opening chords i was blown away......when uncle neil came out....well....wow!!! :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nd5-ZTyaMMs

and i'm pretty sure i still have this on vhs :eek:
  • Options
    elmerelmer Posts: 1,683
    remember that alright! was highly anticipating Vs at the time, think It musta seen a replay cos it was around midnight(UK)when I saw. Animal impressed me but I didn't know who Neil Young was at the time so the Rockin... performance passed me by a little.............
  • Options
    pearljammerpearljammer Posts: 237
    A short but explosive song.

WHY WOULD YOU WANT TO HURT ME?!
    EvenFLOW PsYcHo #29

~ is your Pearl Jam cup half empty, or 1/2 Full?
  • Options
    yellowled24yellowled24 Posts: 3,118

I said a one, two, three, four, five, five ......
    "....and was very surprised to see that he didnt actually have a recipe for anus-ankle soup." - Big Ed
  • Options
    still one of my favorite performances to this day

www.seanbrady.net
  • Options
    LONGRDLONGRD Posts: 6,036
    Dude, I'd wish I have seen Ed's on-stage performance like that circa -'91-'93. You know, where he seems like a drunk. :)
    PJ- 04/29/2003.06/24,25,27,28,30/2008.10/27,28,30,31/2009
    EV- 08/09,10/2008.06/08,09/2009
  • Options
  • Options
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YuPsqWx-5hA[/quote]

I remember this one also man that blew away too. I had the album but never really saw anything of them live.

www.seanbrady.net
  • Options
    Yellow BedwetterYellow Bedwetter NYC Posts: 2,832
    i have that video on my iPod w/no sound...only downside
    2005: Borgata 2, Philly
    2006: Camden 1&2, East Ruth 1&2
    2008: BONNAROO, MSG1, MSG2, Hartford
    2009: Philly 1, 2, 4
    2010: Hartford, MSG1, MSG2
    2012: Made in America
    2013: BK1, BK2, Hartford
    2015: Global Citizens
    2016: MSG 2 (ISO MSG1)
    EV Solo: NJPAC 2008; Tower Theatre, PA 2009; Hartford 2011
  • Options
    yoke wrote:

I remember this one also man that blew away too. I had the album but never really saw anything of them live.[/quote]
    I love Stone's crazy Dervish dance there. :)
  • Options
    whispering handswhispering hands Under your skin Posts: 13,527

When... I'm... so frightened of your face!?!? That night was a great night... many things going on at once, Let's see, that's the night my cousin and I got the Church Deacons and Elders stoned on Pot Brownies, snuck out the back window to go to our friends' house to watch the awards, got caught crawling back IN the window, and My puppy ate my cassette of Ten.. which is how she got her name, (R.I.P. Ten you were a kickass dog!!) Oh yeah the other memory, this brings up, is that my cousin and I were in Wisconsin when the album FINALLY got released "for real" and we went to this midnight release of Vs. And Gn'R's Use You Illusion album and right near a quarter til 12, that mob fucking took out that window and went after it!! what a sight.. was like a huge human wave that just consumed the window. Wow that was a great memory...thanks for reminding me of all that..
  • Options
    chiquimonkeychiquimonkey Posts: 9,337
    cutback wrote:
    and i'm pretty sure i still have this on vhs :eek:
    me too :o hahaha

good stuff, fun reliving that!
  • Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,146
    SOLAT319 wrote:
    me too :o hahaha

good stuff, fun reliving that!

I'm pretty sure it's a prerequisite to have this one on vhs in your collection in order to be considered a Pearl Jam fan.
    So yeah, I have this one on vhs too ;-)

and now all we have to do is wait an hour and it will be on youtube.....which is cool but sometimes i miss doing things the old fashion way....if video tape is old fashioned....;) :o
  • Options
    chiquimonkeychiquimonkey Posts: 9,337
    cutback wrote:
    and now all we have to do is wait an hour and it will be on youtube.....which is cool but sometimes i miss doing things the old fashion way....if video tape is old fashioned....;) :o
    that's true, there's that anticipation factor. of course i like not having to worry about whether i'll run out of tape anymore :p haha
  • Options
    HermanBloomHermanBloom Posts: 1,764
    I remember it clearly and was blown away.
    SLC 11/2/95, Park City 6/21/98, Boise 11/3/00, Seattle 12/9/02, Vancouver 5/30/03, Gorge 9/1/05, Vancouver 9/2/05, Gorge 7/22/06, Gorge 7/23/06, Camden I 6/19/08, MSG I 6/24/08, MSG II 6/25/08, Hartford 6/27/08, Mansfield II 6/30/08; Eddie Albany 6/8/09, 6/9/09; Philly 10/30/09, 10/31/09; Boston 5/17/10
    I thought the world...Turns out the world thought me
  • Options
    Housing JimHousing Jim Posts: 644
    In the U.K., those of us who didn't have MTV at the time, which was most folk back then, only got to see Rockin In the Free World as Channel 4 cut Animal out of the broadcast.

I still have it on tape, nestling inbetween two episodes of Newman and Baddiel In Pieces, a comedy show which was very popular in U.K. at the time.

"Here to play a brand new song for the first time anywhere...Pearl Jam"

Then it cut to Neil Young walking on stage and Eddie saying "You know this guy".

It's a mesmerising performance, I remember it mostly for Jeff and Stone doing bunny hop jumps at each other and Mike McCready smashing his amp to pieces at the end.

I read later that they had originally intended to play Go but chose to Animal at the last minute without informing MTV.
    A democracy on paper, apparently well ordered, regularly subverted by irrational chaos.

Manchester - 4/6/2000
    London - 20/4/2006
    Dublin - 23/8/2006
    London - 18/6/2007
    New York City - 24/6/2008
    New York City - 25/6/2008 - we will be "what is up" New York
    Manchester - 18/8/2009
    Manchester - 20/6/2012
    Leeds - 6/7/2014
    London - 18/6/2018
  • Options
    prince119prince119 Posts: 104
    I love the "Stone circle gallop" In the Jeremy performance.

Really love the way Mike trashes that guitar at the end of RITFW.

One of the best moments in MTV history for sure.
  • Options
    elmerelmer Posts: 1,683
    In the U.K., those of us who didn't have MTV at the time, which was most folk back then, only got to see Rockin In the Free World as Channel 4 cut Animal out of the broadcast.

I still have it on tape, nestling inbetween two episodes of Newman and Baddiel In Pieces, a comedy show which was very popular in U.K. at the time.

"Here to play a brand new song for the first time anywhere...Pearl Jam"

Then it cut to Neil Young walking on stage and Eddie saying "You know this guy".

It's a mesmerising performance, I remember it mostly for Jeff and Stone doing bunny hop jumps at each other and Mike McCready smashing his amp to pieces at the end.

I read later that they had originally intended to play Go but chose to Animal at the last minute without informing MTV.
    I was one of the lucky fuckers!

Remember that Vs was released on the same day as a Take That album, the guy in me local record store siad how surprised he was that PJ were outselling them up to that point in the day, twas early though.

• Options
    prince119 wrote:
    I love the "Stone circle gallop" In the Jeremy performance.

Really love the way Mike trashes that guitar at the end of RITFW.

One of the best moments in MTV history for sure.
    Yeah Stone's crazy dance was totally awesome! Best dancer in the band. :)