Options

Vitalogy might have the greatest continuity..

harmless_little_f***harmless_little_f*** Posts: 8,005
edited December 2007 in The Porch
of any PJ album.

Discuss.
'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    it rocks.
    When life gives you lemons, throw them at somebody.
  • Options
    it took me until very recently to really get into vitalogy and now i can't listen to anything else. it's an incredible album!
    madison, wi october 16, 1991
    east troy, wi august 29, 1992- stage two set by eddie and chris cornell
    vancouver, bc september 2, 2005- backstage with the supersuckers
    george, wa july 23, 2006
  • Options
    Hitch-HikerHitch-Hiker Posts: 2,873
    I disagree. No continuity at all. too much filler. Granted the non-filler stuff is very very good, but there's 3 or 4 tracks that I don't even consider real songs.
    I'll Ride The Wave Where It Takes Me
  • Options
    CorsoCorso so poor I can't afford to comment on the PJ forum Posts: 201
    of any PJ album.

Discuss.
    Just listened to it last night for the first time in several months. Great album.
  • Options
    The "filler" is what provides the cohesiveness of the album.
    “Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It’s hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It’s round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you’ve got about a hundred years here. There’s only one rule that I know of, babies — ‘God damn it, you’ve got to be kind.’” - Kurt Vonnegut
  • Options
    CitizenRickCitizenRick Posts: 1,079
    I disagree. No continuity at all. too much filler. Granted the non-filler stuff is very very good, but there's 3 or 4 tracks that I don't even consider real songs.

That's the point of the "filler" songs...they connect the songs and make the album flow.

The filler songs keep with the theme of the album for the most part. It's a fine piece of art IMO.

A very dark art piece! Brilliant!
    "Had my eyes peeled both wide open, and I got a glimpse...of my innocense, got back my inner sence, baby got it...still got it"
  • Options
    Vitalogy and Vs have the greatest flow in my opinion. Both amazing albums. And the fact that the band produced these two masterpieces in two years is just astonishing.
    "This town deserves a better class of criminal... and I'm gonna give it to them."

• Options
    That's the point of the "filler" songs...they connect the songs and make the album flow.

The filler songs keep with the theme of the album for the most part. It's a fine piece of art IMO.

Doesn't work for me. I just want to skip those tracks.
  • Options
    It's not a favorite of mine from Pearl Jam because it's a little too dark for my tastes no adays. It is still a great album though. I actually love the filler songs though for some reason, it makes the album deeper to me. Something strange was going on in their lives and I think it got to Eddie's head during the Vitalogy era.
  • Options
    Best songs on Vitalogy:

Last Exit
    Spin the Black Circle
    Not For You
    Tremor Christ
    Whipping
    Pry, To
    Satan's Bed
    Immortality
    Betterman
    Corduroy
    Bugs
    Nothingman
    Aye Davanita

They are all good. But I don't like heyfoxymophandlemama....
    When life gives you lemons, throw them at somebody.
  • Options
    PegasusPegasus Posts: 3,754
    yep.

I wouldn't know about continuity since I've always skipped those tracks..and my first copy was a tape! (still got it though I bought the CD since)..never been so glad of the skip function on my car radio! I even think it was the only album I used it on!

seriously, the songs are fantastic, but the fillers are stopping it to be even in the first half of PJ albums.
    Vs on the other hand hasn't got any even average song on it whatsoever :D
  • Options
    It's the kind of album I love. It took a while for me to get into but now I love it, I'll love it forever. Besides, Stone shines on that album. (I think).
  • Options
    JP2026766JP2026766 Posts: 1,125
    I think Binaural has a much better flow...

Mansfield II '08

EV Solo Shows:

NYC I
    NJPAC

I. LOVE. YIELD.
  • Options
    I think Binaural has a much better flow...
    You're right. Binaural has the best flow of all Pearl Jam albums IMO. My favourite changes from day to day, but that is fact about Binaural.
  • Options
    I think that Vitalogy, Binaural, Riot Act, and No Code all have great continuity. I love the way the songs are placed. Its really cool to listen to those albums in full. It gives the the full impact of their greatness and beauty. It seems the more experimental stuff has greater continuity. Go figure.
    My first PJ show to witness was at Bonnaroo. How is that for lucky?
  • Options
    SENROCKSENROCK Posts: 10,736

sweet! you said "FLOW"! :D

i agree with the fine piece of art exxxpression. vitalogy is somn u can listen to all the way thru without skipping. well, i can. LOVE IT.
    ~~~~~~ALWAYS HAVE A GOOD TIME~~~~~~
    Sir Mike McCready is....THE MASTER!!! WAHHH!!!
    EVENFLOW PSYCHOS H.N.I.C~FEEL THE FLOW!!!

"Pearl Jam fans are obsessed, they'd see the boys in HELL if tickets were sold."-CROJAM95

It takes balls to put out a UKE album!
  • Options
    Due to the filler I don't think it flows at all. O loved it when it was released, but I tend to think of the albums Yield and beyond for my favorites as I still listen to them all the way through so often.

No Code has no flow despite being great, Vitalogy is a little dark with no flow whatsoever, Vs. is a little light for me but a great album, and Ten is so overplayed.
    9/7/98, 8/3/00, 9/4/00, 4/15/03, 7/1/03, 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 5/24/06, 5/25/06, 6/17/08, 6/22/08, 6/28/08, 6/30/08, 5/17/10, 10/15/13, 10/16/13.
  • Options
    deadnotedeadnote Posts: 1,678
    i like yield and riot act
    set your laughter free

dreamer in my dream

we got the guns

i love you,but im..............callin out.........callin out
  • Options
    rival.rival. Chicago Posts: 7,776
    You're right. Binaural has the best flow of all Pearl Jam albums IMO. My favourite changes from day to day, but that is fact about Binaural.

evacuation kills this album. it is it's only flaw.

right after breakerfall and gods dice... two great rockers, you are set back with the worst PJ song of all time.
  • Options
    It does have great flow....

Its weird, I seem to fall in love with their more obscure for a lot longer...

Vitalogy, Binaural, Riot Act and No Code get more play on my stereo than Avacado, Ten and Vs...

And of course Im ALWAYS listening to Yield :D
    'The more I studied religions the more I am convinced that man never worshipped anything but himself.' - Sir Richard Francis Burton