a Live 'Vs.'

tremorstremors Posts: 8,051
edited October 2010 in The Porch
Turpentine & Nepotism: Vs. Live

http://rearviewmirrorbootlegs.blogspot. ... ion-3.html

(The finished collection!!)

_______________________________________________________________________________________

Hey!

Some people may have noticed a few of us trying to compile and put together a 'Live Backspacer' mix, partly to pick up on some of the issues raised in Stip from Red Mosquito's 'Guided Tour of Backspacer' thread.

Cameron4Presisdent really stepped up to the challenge with this - and we have between us managed to compile a live album now known as 'Mixed Metaphor - Backspacer Live'. Have a listen and see what you think. I think it works really well. In fact, having listened to Cameron4President's mix a fair few times these past few days, I am enjoying it more than the album currently! Many thanks also to Pap for giving us the core of the thing in the first place!

You should be able to find 'Mixed Metaphor' over at Cameron4President's awesome bootleg blog

http://rearviewmirrorbootlegs.blogspot. ... pacer.html

We are wondering about continuing this approach and tackling some of the other albums - starting with 'Vs' and maybe focusing on live versions from the 'tour' of each album, rather than from across the whole live catalogue. Cameron4President, are you up for trying to continue onto Vs or do you want a bit of time to catch your breath?? I'll wait until you are ready. I think Vs will be much harder to agree on, and we'll need to find a process which can take account of different people's views, yet still produce something that 'works'. I have a few ideas on how this could work, but will wait to see if Cameron4President is wanting a break first, before sharing them. Watch this space!

You can find the discussion leading up to the completed 'Mixed Metaphor' mix over here:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=142297

And Stip's 'Guided Tour of Backspacer' over here:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=141478
Cancel my subscription to the Ressurection
Send my credentials to the house of detention

lettherecordsplay1x.gif?t=1377796878
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• If it's versions just from the tour of the album, that makes it a little easier. The lazy version would be to just dig up a quality "Leash" to add to the Atlanta 03/04/94 versions of all the other songs. Lazy, but killer.
    93: Slane
    96: Cork, Dublin
    00: Dublin
    06: London, Dublin
    07: London, Copenhagen, Nijmegen
    09: Manchester, London
    10: Dublin, Belfast, London & Berlin
    11: San José
    12: Isle of Wight, Copenhagen, Ed in Manchester & London x2
  • tremorstremors Posts: 8,051
    'Lazy but killer'.... I'm all for that!! Sometimes

The previous mix we tried to take a song each from a different show - was kind of fun to do. There are certainly some great versions from the Fox, great sound quality too.

• tremors wrote:
    Hey!

Some people may have noticed a few of us trying to compile and put together a 'Live Backspacer' mix, partly to pick up on some of the issues raised in Stip from Red Mosquito's 'Guided Tour of Backspacer' thread.

Cameron4Presisdent really stepped up to the challenge with this - and we have between us managed to compile a live album now known as 'Mixed Metaphor - Backspacer Live'. Have a listen and see what you think. I think it works really well. In fact, having listened to Cameron4President's mix a fair few times these past few days, I am enjoying it more than the album currently! Many thanks also to Pap for giving us the core of the thing in the first place!

You should be able to find 'Mixed Metaphor' over at Cameron4President's awesome bootleg blog

http://rearviewmirrorbootlegs.blogspot. ... pacer.html

We are wondering about continuing this approach and tackling some of the other albums - starting with 'Vs' and maybe focusing on live versions from the 'tour' of each album, rather than from across the whole live catalogue. Cameron4President, are you up for trying to continue onto Vs or do you want a bit of time to catch your breath?? I'll wait until you are ready. I think Vs will be much harder to agree on, and we'll need to find a process which can take account of different people's views, yet still produce something that 'works'. I have a few ideas on how this could work, but will wait to see if Cameron4President is wanting a break first, before sharing them. Watch this space!

You can find the discussion leading up to the completed 'Mixed Metaphor' mix over here:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=142297

And Stip's 'Guided Tour of Backspacer' over here:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=141478

I am definitely in on this project and we will plan to start on Monday. Anyone have any song ideas? Atlanta is an obvious choice, but how about St. Pete '94 or Las Vegas '93? Let's here some suggestions.
    I am the artist formally known as "Cameron4President"....
    1998: Va Beach VA
    2000: Va Beach VA, Columbia MD
    2003: Raleigh NC, Bristow VA
    2008: Washington DC
    2009: Philly 3
    2010: Bristow VA
    2013: Baltimore MD, Charlottesville VA, Charlotte NC
    2014: Cincinnati, OH
    2016: Hampton, VA, Raleigh, NC
  • I am definitely in on this project and we will plan to start on Monday. Anyone have any song ideas? Atlanta is an obvious choice, but how about St. Pete '94 or Las Vegas '93? Let's here some suggestions.

The '94 St. Pete show if anybody wants a copy:
    http://dp-rearviewmirror.blogspot.com/2 ... march.html
    I am definitely in on this project and we will plan to start on Monday. Anyone have any song ideas? Atlanta is an obvious choice, but how about St. Pete '94 or Las Vegas '93? Let's here some suggestions.

The '94 St. Pete show if anybody wants a copy:
    http://dp-rearviewmirror.blogspot.com/2 ... march.html

Cool! Am listening now. Haven't heard this one in quite a while - I have a crate of bootleg CDs upstairs, with this amongst them, but it's a lot quicker to download yours than it would be to find it!!

If we are going to 'filter' them down - so far I would say 'Yes' to animal, yes to dissident (I've always heard a magic there), and a 'no' to Go, & daughter. I think there are better RVMs. off the top of my head the Fox is a lot better there. Just provisional filtering really. I'll get the Atlanta from either my collection or yours, as a reference point.

Had a listen to a few choice cuts last night. The Fox is certainly going to be hard to beat on certain tracks - but it would be a bit boring if we mainly only draw from the Fox. I'll put a vote in for Rearviewmirror from there, certainly!

Just listening on the PJ Sirius Radio to the 'Go' dedicated to Kurt..... this could be a good opener

• tremors wrote:
    Had a listen to a few choice cuts last night. The Fox is certainly going to be hard to beat on certain tracks - but it would be a bit boring if we mainly only draw from the Fox. I'll put a vote in for Rearviewmirror from there, certainly!
    tremors wrote:
    Just listening on the PJ Sirius Radio to the 'Go' dedicated to Kurt..... this could be a good opener

I had a quick listen to some Vs era shows and songs last night when I got home from work and I think that we are going to be forced into using material mainly from Las Vegas '93, St. Pete '94, and Atlanta '94 if we want the best possible sound quality.

It's ashame that there are not more SB or higher quality audio from the '93 and '94 Tours. I was listening to some of the '94 New York show last night (Dave A.'s last show) and that has to be the best version of Sonic Reducer ever, but the sound quality is subpar :cry:

What show does the version of 'Go' dedicated to Kurt come from?

Does anybody have any info on other 93-94 SB shows? I am only aware of a few. Does anybody have a list of SB shows from the Vs Tour?
  • TT8270TT8270 Posts: 429
    This has been done before. I guess sometime in 2000 when the first official boots came out someone made a live binaural (from the 200 tour) and I guess other albums too (from bootlegs). Anyone else remember more precisely?
    134xxx
    Soundgarden - 1996-10-15
    Pearl Jam - 2000-06-30
    Fugazi - 2000-10-10
    The Mars Volta - 2003-03-24
  • TT8270 wrote:
    This has been done before. I guess sometime in 2000 when the first official boots came out someone made a live binaural (from the 200 tour) and I guess other albums too (from bootlegs). Anyone else remember more precisely?

Even more of a reason to do it again!!

I remember it was when Kurt was 'missing' before his body was found on April 8th 1994, four or five days before - so I think April 3rd, the second Fox show would be most likely. I'll check that version in a minute.

Sounds like a good idea to select from the best sounding / soundboard shows on this one. I concur!!

tremors wrote:

I remember it was when Kurt was 'missing' before his body was found on April 8th 1994, four or five days before - so I think April 3rd, the second Fox show would be most likely. I'll check that version in a minute.

Sounds like a good idea to select from the best sounding / soundboard shows on this one. I concur!!

Yeah, just checked over at pearljambootlegs.org, and it is definitely before 'Go' from that show, although over there they have that MP3 split so that the dedication comes at the end of the previous song (daughter). The quality sounds pretty good for that show mind you. The PJ radio version this morning sounded great - but that was probably from the vault ! :( :lol:

• tremors wrote:
    tremors wrote:

Yeah, just checked over at pearljambootlegs.org, and it is definitely before 'Go' from that show, although over there they have that MP3 split so that the dedications comes at the end of the previous song (daughter). The quality sounds pretty good for that show mind you. The PJ radio version this morning sounded great - but that was probably from the vault ! :( :lol:

I could edit the file so that the dedication is either by itself or together with "Go", or we could have the dedication w/ a different version of "Go". It has been a long time since I have listened to the April 3rd show, but I will give a listen later on tonight when I get off of work.

Let me throw another idea at you...

If the whole '93-'94 tour doesn't workout the way we hope, or it sounds like shit because of the difference in sound quality, then I have a plan B and C (or a future project). It goes like this:

Plan B = "Pearl Jam Vs. 2010"
    This would be where we only use live tracks from the 2010 tour to create a live version of Vs. (WMA would have to be edited from one of the "Daughter tags" in order to do this).

Plan C = "Pearl Jam Vs. the Backspacer Tour"
    This would be where we only use live tracks from the 2009 and 2010 tour to create a live version of Vs. (WMA would have to be edited from one of the "Daughter tags" in order to do this).

Let me know what you think, and you won't hurt my feelings if you think that my two ideas are crap.

If the whole '93-'94 tour doesn't workout the way we hope, or it sounds like shit because of the difference in sound quality, then I have a plan B and C (or a future project). It goes like this:

This would be where we only use live tracks from the 2010 tour to create a live version of Vs. (WMA would have to be edited from one of the "Daughter tags" in order to do this).

This would be where we only use live tracks from the 2009 and 2010 tour to create a live version of Vs. (WMA would have to be edited from one of the "Daughter tags" in order to do this).

Let me know what you think, and you won't hurt my feelings if you think that my two ideas are crap.

I think it's an interesting idea. The band have been tight this tour, and I've heard great versions of nearly every song in the catalogue!!

One of the problems I could foresee would be in 'sharing' multiple songs online; respecting band policy on official bootlegs etc- this is a lot easier with non-official recordings.

Also, Ed's voice has changed a lot over the years, and I think has a tone and style which I associate with each album, each period - so I was quite looking forward to hearing a Vs-era 'Vs'! :D

I could edit the file so that the dedication is either by itself or together with "Go", or we could have the dedication w/ a different version of "Go". It has been a long time since I have listened to the April 3rd show, but I will give a listen later on tonight when I get off of work.

All of that show that I listened to from pearljambootlegs.org sounded very good quality to me. Have no idea about the source etc

• tremors wrote:

I think it's an interesting idea. The band have been tight this tour, and I've heard great versions of nearly every song in the catalogue!!

One of the problems I could foresee would be in 'sharing' multiple songs online; respecting band policy on official bootlegs etc- this is a lot easier with non-official recordings.

Also, Ed's voice has changed a lot over the years, and I think has a tone and style which I associate with each album, each period - so I was quite looking forward to hearing a Vs-era 'Vs'! :D

I definitely don't want to piss anybody off in the PJ camp by 2009/2010 tracks. I figured that it wasn't a big deal with Backspacer project, but we may be pushing our luck with more songs from those tours.

We will make the best Vs. era Vs. we can and the sound quality will just have to be what it is. All of us hardcore fans understand and remember what it was like in the early to mid-nineties concerning the quality of boots, so I believe that people will understand.

I think that I am about 5 hours behind you, so that means when I start to piece this thing together tomorrow night, it will be around 3am Monday morning your time. I should be able to give you some feedback as to how the project is going sometime late Monday afternoon your time. I think that we can piece this thing together by mid-week and make it available to download by Wednesday or Thursday.
    Yeah, they seem to have a 'spirit of fair play' policy towards these things - and I think the backspacer was hopefully cool - we weren't exactly sharing half the catalogue or anything!! I too don't want us to get into 'taking the piss' mode either - (do you say this phrase??) :lol:

Your plan sounds cool! This is what I like to see - someone who's organised!! hahaha

I will hopefully have time to listen Monday evening my time - and give my opinions that night. Don't think I'll be available until the evening though on Monday, but have different flexibility throughout the week. All will be cool!!

• tremors wrote:
    Yeah, they seem to have a 'spirit of fair play' policy towards these things - and I think the backspacer was hopefully cool - we weren't exactly sharing half the catalogue or anything!! I too don't want us to get into 'taking the piss' mode either - (do you say this phrase??) :lol:

Your plan sounds cool! This is what I like to see - someone who's organised!! hahaha

I will hopefully have time to listen Monday evening my time - and give my opinions that night. Don't think I'll be available until the evening though on Monday, but have different flexibility throughout the week. All will be cool!!

"we weren't exactly sharing half the catalogue or anything" :lol:

Next week will be good for me too, I am off of work the whole week and have plenty of time to mess with this project.

btw...

I have been playing the hell out of the Live Backspacer project we did. Between that and a heavy dose of the Ramones, that's all that been playing on my iPod.
    tremors wrote:

Next week will be good for me too, I am off of work the whole week and have plenty of time to mess with this project.

btw...

I have been playing the hell out of the Live Backspacer project we did. Between that and a heavy dose of the Ramones, that's all that been playing on my iPod.

Yes, I've listened to it multiple times now, and I have to say it 'rocks!'. I think we make a pretty good team - we got that one knocked out pretty sharpish, and you seemed to be able to pick out some great versions based on my feedback - so all bodes well for more projects I think!

• tremors wrote:
    tremors wrote:

btw...

Yes, I've listened to it multiple times now, and I have to say it 'rocks!'. I think we make a pretty good team - we got that one knocked out pretty sharpish, and you seemed to be able to pick out some great versions based on my feedback - so all bodes well for more projects I think!

Amen to that. :thumbup:

It just occured to me that the Mesa, AZ show from November 94 might be a decent sounding show. If you get the time check it out. I do not have a copy of that show so I will probably download it tonight from pearljambootlegs.org. I think this one could fit into our Vs. plan.
    tremors wrote:

btw...

Amen to that. :thumbup:

It just occured to me that the Mesa, AZ show from November 94 might be a decent sounding show. If you get the time check it out. I do not have a copy of that show so I will probably download it tonight from pearljambootlegs.org. I think this one could fit into our Vs. plan.

OK - will do - a lot to fit in, what with Serious PJ Radio, currently streaming MSGII 2010 - sounding LARGE!, staying up for the Bridge Setlist (maybe), and Mesa 94 - meanwhile my friends are texting me to watch Simon Cowell's X-factor in half an hour - which I do enjoy!! Think I'm gonna disconnect the phone and go into PJ hiding mode instead tho!! :lol: Thanks for putting in the time and the attention to these projects. I think it's worthwhile. Also I haven't listened to Vs era boots for ages and ages - getting a bit wistful!!..... *sigh* Pearl Jam - don't you love'em!??

• tremors wrote:
    OK - will do - a lot to fit in, what with Serious PJ Radio, currently streaming MSGII 2010 - sounding LARGE!, staying up for the Bridge Setlist (maybe), and Mesa 94 - meanwhile my friends are texting me to watch Simon Cowell's X-factor in half an hour - which I do enjoy!! Think I'm gonna disconnect the phone and go into PJ hiding mode instead tho!! :lol: Thanks for putting in the time and the attention to these projects. I think it's worthwhile. Also I haven't listened to Vs era boots for ages and ages - getting a bit wistful!!..... *sigh* Pearl Jam - don't you love'em!??

I would like to be listening to that MSG show, but I am still at work, and I will be here for about 4 more hours :cry:
    tremors wrote:

I would like to be listening to that MSG show, but I am still at work, and I will be here for about 4 more hours :cry:

I ended up buying it - possibly for the second time. I certainly haven't listened to that one for a while - if ever. My last laptop broke, and all my links expired, and then to cap it all my external HD packed in too!! I'm travelling light these days.

Actually the real reason for buying it was so that I could pause the Sirius broadcast to watch the pop idol wannabes....! It was horrible, I had to keep returning to the broadcast to gather strength!

• tremors wrote:
    tremors wrote:

I ended up buying it - possibly for the second time. I certainly haven't listened to that one for a while - if ever. My last laptop broke, and all my links expired, and then to cap it all my external HD packed in too!! I'm travelling light these days.

Actually the real reason for buying it was so that I could pause the Sirius broadcast to watch the pop idol wannabes....! It was horrible, I had to keep returning to the broadcast to gather strength!

PM sent.

Have you had a chance to listen to the Mesa boot yet? I don't leave work for about another hour, but when I get home I am going to download it.
  • Scratch Mesa, Audio quality sucks!!
  • Off thetop of my head; st. Pete isnot a soundboard but these are:
    Atlanta FM 94
    Las vegas 93
    Gilimi manatoba 93
    Shoe the shoeless show forget the city in CA 93
    Netherlands FM 93
    1996: Hartford; 1998: Hartford, Mansfield I & II
    2000: Saratoga, Mansfield I & II; 2003: West Palm, Tampa, Mansfield I & II & III; 2004: Boston I & II; 2005: Montreal; 2006: Albany, Hartford, Boston I & II, East Rutherford; 2007: Lolla
    2008: Tampa, MSG I & II, Hartford, Mansfield I & II; 2009: Chicago I & II, Philly I, III & IV; 2010: Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford, Boston & MSG II.
  • TheRealDanPatchTheRealDanPatch Posts: 1,854
    edited October 2010
    Off thetop of my head; st. Pete isnot a soundboard but these are:
    Atlanta FM 94
    Las vegas 93
    Gilimi manatoba 93
    Shoe the shoeless show forget the city in CA 93
    Netherlands FM 93

St. Pete is not a soundboard, but it sounds so good that you kinda forget that it's an audience recording. I had not heard about the Netherlands FM 93 and Gilimi manatoba 93 being such high quality, I will have to check them out. Thanks :D
    Post edited by TheRealDanPatch on
  • i_lov_iti_lov_it Perth, Western Australia Posts: 4,007
    If it's versions just from the tour of the album, that makes it a little easier. The lazy version would be to just dig up a quality "Leash" to add to the Atlanta 03/04/94 versions of all the other songs. Lazy, but killer.

Definately "GO" from that Show would be on it...:)
  • i_lov_it wrote:
    If it's versions just from the tour of the album, that makes it a little easier. The lazy version would be to just dig up a quality "Leash" to add to the Atlanta 03/04/94 versions of all the other songs. Lazy, but killer.

Definately "GO" from that Show would be on it...:)

+1, without a doubt.

I was not impressed with the Netherlands 93 show and Gilimi manatoba 93 show (and Mesa 93), so as of right now we only have 3 candidates to pull songs from and they are:

ATL 94
    ST.Pete 94
    Las Vegas 93

Does anybody else have any suggestions or can point me in the right direction to find any other high quality boots from 93 and 94?