Options

Worst support act you've seen?

Comments

• Options
    jets521jets521 Posts: 804
    Serj Tankian (from System of a Down) opened up for the Foo Fighters when i saw them in Philly at the Spectrum...

it was the worst piece of $hit performance i have ever seen. disgusting lyrics and just a bunch of noise and screaming. honestly seemed like NOBODY was digging it. i even booed it was so horrible
    Wachovia Center, Philadelphia - 10/3/05
    Tweeter Center, Camden - 5/27/06
    Verizon Center, Wash. DC - 5/30/06
    Bonnaroo, Manchester, TN - 6/14/08
    Madison Square Garden, NYC - 6/19/08
    Spectrum, Philadelphia - 10/28/09
    Spectrum, Philadelphia - 10/30/09
    Spectrum, Philadelphia - 10/31/09
    Madison Square Garden, NYC - 5/21/10
    Wells Fargo Center, Philadelphia - 10/21/13
    1st Mariner Arena, Baltimore - 10/27/13
    Wells Fargo Center, Philadelphia - 4/28/16
    Enterprise Center, Saint Louis - 9/18/22
  • Options
    jr19jr19 Posts: 338
    whoever said Sonic Youth is fucking retarded!
  • Options
    keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    demetrios wrote:
    arq wrote:
    demetrios wrote:
    Kayne West opening for The Rolling Stones.

0.jpg

Yep! It was Sloan, Alice Cooper, Kayne West opening for The Rolling Stones @ the Halifax Commons. Who ever is booking these acts on the same bill should be dragged out into the street and shot!

www.teesforall.com_images_Garfield_Kidding_Orange_Shirt.jpg
    Sloan is kind of fun, but definitely not the venue for them.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    As far as PJ support:
    1. Surprised to see some Ted Leo votes, but to each his/her own.
    2. I can't really form an opinion on Sonic Youth. By the time I saw them in '00, they only had one original band member left on the tour. It was a lot of noise and not much music or vocals. But then again, it wasn't 100% Sonic Youth.
    3. Sparta. They just bored me.

As far as other bands' support:
    1. Sugar Ray opening for 311 circa 1998. They were booed off the stage by the entire arena because Mark McGrath a) abruptly stopped during the middle of a song and announced he was going back stage to take a shit, b) stage dove then bitched and moaned about someone taking his shoe & refused to play music til he got it back, and c) requested someone from the upper level shine a laser pointer on his forehead, then proceed to call that person a redneck because he "had good aim from being a hunter."
    2. G. Love opening for 311 in '03. According to the set list, they played 11 songs. I only head two, which lasted about 24 minutes each.
    3. De la Soul opening for 311 in 1997. Spent the better part of an hour just asking "Where da party at? Party over here? Or party over here?" while pointing to various sections of the crowd.

Moral of the story: 311 pretty much sucks it up with openers.
  • Options
    RYEzupSFRYEzupSF Posts: 6,003
    This summer Lauryn Hill was the opening headliner at Rock the Bells. She was terrible!! One of the worst performances I have ever seen and she kept the crowd waiting for over an hour. I was so disappointed. I actually can't think of a worse performance I have ever seen.
    BrowserPreview_tmp_zps26eff4aa.gif

Don't fuck sheep. -EV 7/11/11
    You can never have enough Neil in the mix. -EV 10/24/10
    There's only one commandment: Don't be an asshole. -EV 5/6/10
  • Options
    Dyer wrote:
    As far as PJ support:
    2. I can't really form an opinion on Sonic Youth. By the time I saw them in '00, they only had one original band member left on the tour. It was a lot of noise and not much music or vocals. But then again, it wasn't 100% Sonic Youth.

1. Sugar Ray opening for 311 circa 1998. They were booed off the stage by the entire arena because Mark McGrath a) abruptly stopped during the middle of a song and announced he was going back stage to take a shit, b) stage dove then bitched and moaned about someone taking his shoe & refused to play music til he got it back, and c) requested someone from the upper level shine a laser pointer on his forehead, then proceed to call that person a redneck because he "had good aim from being a hunter."
    2. G. Love opening for 311 in '03. According to the set list, they played 11 songs. I only head two, which lasted about 24 minutes each.
    3. De la Soul opening for 311 in 1997. Spent the better part of an hour just asking "Where da party at? Party over here? Or party over here?" while pointing to various sections of the crowd.

WOW, I've seen G-Love probably 5 or 6 times and always have a kickass time. Then again, he's always headlining, but have never experienced long dragged out songs.
    We were but stones your light made us stars
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,891
    Dyer wrote:
    As far as PJ support:

I remember seeing Papa Roach opening up for 311 about 5 years ago. Didn't care for them. Also saw The Roots too opening for 311 so that was pretty cool.
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    back in 06 i saw kanye west open for U2. i remember thinking wtf! and let me tell you brisvegas is not exactly a hiphop nation. they were extremely unappreciative of him. and he was smarting after touch the sky didnt win best video. he had a whinge about it but no one cared. :lol: when they tour in december U2 have decided jay z is a good bet.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,436
    Dolly Parton's bra
  • Options
    JP Incorporated opening for devo

i just didn't get it...
  • Options
    KevbwoyKevbwoy Posts: 11
    Starsailor opening for the Rolling Stones. And Feeder opening for the Rolling Stones... Boring as hell.

Some cool opening acts were The Cranberries opening for the Stones (been to a lot of Stones shows xD ), Har Mar Superstar opening for The Strokes and a really awesome opening act were Village People for the german punk band "Die Ärzte" (kinda like a joke to mess with the fans) xD
    "I'm sick of chasing my dreams, man. I'm just going to ask them where they're going and hook up with them later."
    Mitch Hedberg
  • Options
    MK1980MK1980 Nottingham, UK Posts: 291
    Prima Donna opening for Green Day, crowd basically ignored them through the whole set.
    How I choose to feel is how I am...I will not lose my faith, It's an inside job today.
    Manchester Aug 17th 2009
    Hyde Park June 25th 2010
    Manchester June 20th & 21st 2012
    Leeds July 14th 2014
  • Options
    I was let down by Sonic Youth opening for Pearl Jam at the LA Forum in 2006. The sound was really bad, so that might have been the reason.
  • Options
    Going way back, Testament was doing a small club tour and had Green Jello opening for them. Words cant describe it...

Lamb Of God opened for Metallica on the Death Magnetic tour. Its was just this... RARRRRRR!! WHATS UP NEW YORK!! RARRRRRRRRR!!!! lol 2 nights in a row of that. Atleast they provided a nice pee break. lol
  • Options
    mookeywrenchmookeywrench Posts: 5,757
    Dyer wrote:

Sonic Youth has always had Lee Renaldo, Thurston Moore, and Kim Gordan as members of the band (touring and recording) since their inception.
    350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    Dyer wrote:

Sonic Youth has always had Lee Renaldo, Thurston Moore, and Kim Gordan as members of the band (touring and recording) since their inception.

Right, I should've worded that a little differently... When I finally saw them (on the last night of the 2000 tour), Lee was the only member still traveling at the time. All the other members had abandoned the tour for various reasons.
  • Options
    veddertownveddertown Scotland Posts: 5,260
    Dyer wrote:
    Dyer wrote:

Right, I should've worded that a little differently... When I finally saw them (on the last night of the 2000 tour), Lee was the only member still traveling at the time. All the other members had abandoned the tour for various reasons.
    Although Sonic Youth never played another gig on the tour after the NJ shows when Kim Gordon had to rush off for personal reasons Jim, Steve and Lee did stay around and do a few pre-set songs with Ed on a few dates. Don't think there was any attempt at an actual SY show without Kim though?
    Like a book among the many on a shelf...

Dublin 02 Arena - 22/6/10. Belfast Odyssey Arena - 23/6/10. London Hyde Park - 25/6/10. Berlin Wuhlheide - 30/6/10.
    Manchester MEN - 20/06/12. Manchester MEN - 21/06/12
  • Options
    Sharon_Hearts_PJSharon_Hearts_PJ Bristol, PA Posts: 1,383

also: danko jones opening for gnr
    So glad to see this band mentioned in this thread! Saw them open for OLP and we couldn't get over how awful they were!
    *Rock and/or Roll!*
  • Options
    dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    Worst support act? Ummm. Nelson. Yeah, that's easy. :sick:
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
  • Options
    JLF78JLF78 Posts: 96
    metsfan wrote:
    mc rut

opened for aic and i don't understand why they did

woulda much rather seen aic play for 3 hours

I completely agree with you. Ugh, they were just terrible.
  • Options
    tallman72tallman72 Posts: 353
    The meanies in 1995......and kings of Leon in 2006 both supporting pearljam also wolfmother supporting Ac/dc this year
  • Options
    iluvcatsiluvcats Posts: 5,153
    In 2000, the Unband opened for Def Leppard. They were not good.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Unband

don't blast me for seeing DL. I was surprised at how good they were...
    9/98, 9/00 - DC, 4/03 - Pitt., 7/03 - Bristow, 10/04 - Reading, 10/05 - Philly, 5/06 - DC, 6/06 - Pitt., 6/08 - Va Beach, 6/08 - DC, 5/10 - Bristow, 10/13 B'more
    8/08 - Ed solo in DC, 6/09 Ed in B'more,
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
  • Options
    RD171825RD171825 Posts: 440
    Sleater-Kinney
  • Options
    I'm usually in the pub when the support band is playing.
  • Options
    Lamb of God opening for Metallica last year. The 5 minutes I heard them were enough to qualify them as the worst opening act I have ever seen.

I saw Turbo Negro open for Queens of the Stone Age a few years ago. That wasn't the worst I've ever seen, but definitely the most unique. I had a total "WTF?" moment while watching them, as did everyone else at the 40 Watt Club that night. Definately entertaining.
  • Options
    Gary CarterGary Carter Shea Stadium Posts: 13,940
    JLF78 wrote:
    metsfan wrote:
    mc rut

opened for aic and i don't understand why they did

woulda much rather seen aic play for 3 hours

I completely agree with you. Ugh, they were just terrible.
    i don't know if it's cause i was right on the rail or they just flat out sucked. i love punk music to death but least make it be so i can fucking hear it and understand lyrics.
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• Options
    SENROCKSENROCK Posts: 10,736
    sleater kinney

gob roberts :sick:

and by far the worst.......x japan. i have never wanted to puke so much in my life. having to endure them before soundgarden was definitely......dedication.
    ~~~~~~ALWAYS HAVE A GOOD TIME~~~~~~
    Sir Mike McCready is....THE MASTER!!! WAHHH!!!
    EVENFLOW PSYCHOS H.N.I.C~FEEL THE FLOW!!!

"Pearl Jam fans are obsessed, they'd see the boys in HELL if tickets were sold."-CROJAM95

It takes balls to put out a UKE album!
  • Options
    Alan Vega, opening for BIlly Idol back in '84 or '85. He was literally booed off the stage and gave a nice, angry "FU" to the crowd at Nassau Coliseum. At the time I was laughing but thinking about it, I feel bad for the guy.
  • Options
    idvedderidvedder Missouri Posts: 27
    Moby opening for Bush. Bush was pretty bad, too. But not as bad as Moby...he just jumped around and pretended to be doing things with his keyboard, while he had a very obvious back track playing. It was just awful. Then he proceeded to tell the booing crowd that we just "didn't get it". :roll: I guess he was right. I don't get it, nor do I want to.
    St. Louis, 2003; Kansas City, 2010; Alpine Valley 1&2 2011; Wrigley Field, 2013; OKC, 2013; St. Louis, 2014; Memphis, 2014
  • Options
    Lone Drawn MeteorLone Drawn Meteor Vancouver, BC, Canada, Northern Hemishpere, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe Posts: 1,230
    Jann Arden opening for Bob Dylan. Ugh.
    "If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a fire exit." - Mitch Hedberg