Parting Ways sound tested in 96?

rival.rival. Chicago Posts: 7,776
edited March 2008 in The Porch
anyone know the meaning behind this?????

11/21/96 - Sports Palace: Barcelona, Spain [125m]
attendance: 8,000
support act: The Fastbacks
soundcheck: Parting Ways, ? (instrumental), Around the Bend, In My Tree, In My Tree, Hard to Imagine (16m version), Garden, Leaving Here, I'm Open (10m version) [70m = entire soundcheck]
set: Wash, Last Exit, Hail Hail, Animal, Red Mosquito, Who You Are, Corduroy, Better Man, Off He Goes, Habit, Even Flow, Jeremy, Daughter/(Happiness is a Warm Gun)/(Bull in the Heather)/(Androgynous Mind), Sometimes, Lukin, Rearviewmirror, Immortality, Alive, Porch
enc 1: Mankind, Once, State of Love and Trust, Present Tense, Smile, Blood/(Fame)
enc 2: Around the Bend
notes: 'Parting Ways,' a song which is not released for four years on Binaural, is soundchecked. Ed breaks out a bit of his Spanish to communicate: "Cuidado" ("be careful") a few times to the crowd; during 'Habit,' "Hablando como un niño de los 90s." Stone gets into the act opening 'Mankind' with, "Que pasa? I'm gonna sing one for you." A "hey, hey" chant between the crowd and PJ gets going during the 'Blood' jam. Returning for a final encore, Ed says, "OK, in English; this one's a lullabye, so when you go home, have nice dreams tonight, leading to 'Around the Bend,' and a "Adios, amigos. Buenos noches." 'Smile' from this show later appears on the '96 fan club single.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• It's just what it says... I have this on CD somewhere and it's definitely the early version of what became Parting Ways.
  • anyone know the meaning behind this?????

It definitely happened. There used to be a link to it on theskyiscrape.com. Its a long version with very few lyrics. I believe it was just Ed on his sitar-guitar thingy (not sure of the proper name). Pretty damn cool music.

I don't know the story behind it though.
  • me too
  • If nobody else beats me to it, I'll try to post it if I can find it, but it won't be until around 7:00 pm at the earliest due to being at work and having to pick up my son afterwards.
  • elvistheking44elvistheking44 Posts: 4,226
    I have a triple disc called The Longest Day and on the end of disc three it has

2 different versions of Parting Ways from a soundcheck, as well as 3 instrumental versions as well as one with vocals of Hard to Imagine and 2 different sound checks of In My Tree with a little Garden mixed in....its very cool....

I think it might be the entire soundcheck from the show mentioned above.....
  • I have a triple disc called The Longest Day and on the end of disc three it has

2 different versions of Parting Ways from a soundcheck, as well as 3 instrumental versions as well as one with vocals of Hard to Imagine and 2 different sound checks of In My Tree with a little Garden mixed in....its very cool....

I think it might be the entire soundcheck from the show mentioned above.....

Hey that's exactly what I have!
  • orig_long redorig_long red Posts: 2,029
    yup, i have a copy of this ... couple of long versions from a Barelona soundcheck.
    Jam out with your clam out.
  • Kilgore_TroutKilgore_Trout Posts: 7,334
    im also interested if someone wouldnt mind upping it to mediafire and posting a link :D
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/
  • Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    Hey that's exactly what I have!
    Me too, I remember paying $60 for it back in the day, before bootlegs became accesible from the internet.
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • Hey look at that! I almost made my 7:00 prediction.

Anyways, I just tried this MediaFire thing so I hope it worked...

http://www.mediafire.com/?nwdn3zpyymk
  • 100 Pacer100 Pacer Toronto, ON Posts: 8,496
    Hey look at that! I almost made my 7:00 prediction.

thanks a lot :)
    To quote the 10C from Newsletter #8: "Please understand we have a lot of members and it is very hard to please everybody. If you are one of those unhappy people...please call 1-900-IDN-TCAR."

"Me knowing the truth, I can not concur."

1996: Toronto - 1998: Chicago, Montreal, Barrie - 2000: Montreal, Toronto - 2002: Seattle X2 (Key Arena) - 2003: Cleveland, Buffalo, Toronto, Montreal, Seattle (Benaroya Hall) - 2004: Reading, Toledo, Grand Rapids - 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Quebec City - 2006: Toronto X2, Albany, Hartford, Grand Rapids, Cleveland - 2007: Chicago (Vic Theatre) - 2008: NYC X2, Hartford, Mansfield X2 - 2009: Toronto, Chicago X2, Seattle X2, Philadelphia X4 - 2010: Columbus, Noblesville, Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford - 2011: Montreal, Toronto X2, Ottawa, Hamilton - 2012: Missoula - 2013: London, Chicago, Buffalo, Hartford - 2014: Detroit, Moline - 2015: NYC (Global Citizen Festival) - 2016: Greenville, Toronto X2, Chicago 1 - 2017: Brooklyn (RRHOF Induction) - 2018: Chicago 1, Boston 1 - 2022: Fresno, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto, NYC, Camden - 2023: St. Paul X2, Austin X2 - 2024: Vancouver X2, Portland, Sacramento, Noblesville, Philadelphia X2, Baltimore
  • Marie CurieMarie Curie Posts: 1,250

Thanks!
    “Life is life everywhere. Life is in ourselves and not outside us. There will be men beside me, and the important thing is to be a man among men and to remain a man always, whatever the misfortunes, not to despair and not to fall - that is the aim of life, that is its purpose.”
    Fyodor Dostoyevsky
  • Rossum20Rossum20 Posts: 910
    good find...im actually studying abroad in France for the semester and im in Barcelona right now for my spring break (first half in amsterdam) and I am having a blast...too bad no PJ shows in Europe ahhh id never have any money or get anything accomplished so its probably a good thing!
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175

So rad....thanks
  • BinFrogBinFrog MA Posts: 7,292
    Cool coincidence....Parting Ways (studio) just came up on shuffle on iTunes and I click on Synergy and this is the 2nd post I see.
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • Yield98Yield98 Posts: 151

Very cool!! Thanks!!
    Peace, Love, Pearl Jam

Alpine 98,00,03 TFC 99, Chicago 00,03,09(2X) St. Louis 03, Champagne 03, St. Paul 03, 06(2X), 14, Noblesville 03, Toledo 04, Grand Rapids 04,06, Thunder Bay 05, Cleveland 06, Lolla 07, Roo 08, PJ20 X2, Wrigley 13 & 16, Portland/Spokane/Seattle 13, Milwaukee 14, Fenway 18X2, Quebec City/Ottawa 22
  • rival.rival. Chicago Posts: 7,776

niiiice!! thanks so much!!
  • There was also a 16-min soudcheck of I'm Open
    93: Slane
    96: Cork, Dublin
    00: Dublin
    06: London, Dublin
    07: London, Copenhagen, Nijmegen
    09: Manchester, London
    10: Dublin, Belfast, London & Berlin
    11: San José
    12: Isle of Wight, Copenhagen, Ed in Manchester & London x2
  • teflonsteveteflonsteve Posts: 275
    is there a sitar in there somewhere?
    9/20/05 - Quebec City
    9/22/05 - Halifax
    6/19/08 - Camden 
    6/28/08 - Mansfield 
    9/07/11 - Montreal
    5/05/16 - Quebec City
  • pjtaperpjtaper Posts: 3,020
    you know, I have this implanted in my brain, the date, the venue, the city... I must have listened to that tape 1,000 times when I first got it.
    I love parting ways.
  • There was also a 16-min soudcheck of I'm Open

that one is great too.
  • chiquimonkeychiquimonkey Posts: 9,337
    thank you for posting the link, i had never heard this before :)