Options

Mike said this in Guitar Legends 1995...

eldermanelderman Posts: 180
edited March 2008 in The Porch
"Yeah, Jack's amazing, Dave was a great musician but I think Jack is a little more of a Matt Cameron (Soundgarden) type of drummer and is better suited to us. We actually feel like a complete band now for the first time.
We're Spinal Tap when it comes to drummers (laughs), but I think this is gonna be the final change"

I had a bit of a laugh when I came across this again recently seeing the way things worked out. 10 years now with Matt.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    wma11wma11 Posts: 790
    Yeah, that is funny how things played out...
    I met my wife here...you can too! Don't lose hope!
  • Options
    Stone IronsStone Irons Posts: 430
    I don't find Jack and Matt to be that similar at all playing-wise. Maybe he was talking about their personalities.
    Can't escape from the common rule...
    If you hate something, don't you do it too
  • Options
    einatshauleinatshaul Posts: 2,219
    I don't find Jack and Matt to be that similar at all playing-wise. Maybe he was talking about their personalities.

In my opinion as well, odd... However, glad they finally got the original! :)
  • Options
    12345AGNST112345AGNST1 Posts: 4,906
    yea i have that same magazine and saw that also. i found it ironic.
    5/28/06, 6/27/08, 10/28/09, 5/18/10, 5/21/10
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
  • Options
    gotIDgotID Posts: 9
    elderman wrote:
    "Yeah, Jack's amazing, Dave was a great musician but I think Jack is a little more of a Matt Cameron (Soundgarden) type of drummer and is better suited to us. We actually feel like a complete band now for the first time.
    We're Spinal Tap when it comes to drummers (laughs), but I think this is gonna be the final change"

I had a bit of a laugh when I came across this again recently seeing the way things worked out. 10 years now with Matt.

The drumming comparison makes absolutely no sense at all. Two totally different drummers. It has to be more of a personality vibe Mike is talking about. I think it was also en vogue to trash Dave a little after he left. If you read earlier articles about the VS recordings they bash Dave K. a little while propping Dave A.

Typical statement after a person leaves a band. I just don't get the drumming comparison though?

I guess the real test on how well a drummer or musician fits with a band (musically) is how well they do when said musician is in the band. In that regard both Dave A. and Jack fit the band better musically. Personality wise, I guess Matt is the best choice, they just haven't much success.
  • Options
    PappasPappas Posts: 809
    dave a was more funk and technical compared to jack and matt i think, maybe thats what mike was talking about

Even Flow Psycho Member #039

******Message Pit Australian Tour Members********
    rumour starter President & Member #1

www.myspace.com/pappas99
  • Options
    MichaelMcKevinMichaelMcKevin Posts: 1,161
    Pappas wrote:
    dave a was more funk and technical compared to jack and matt i think, maybe thats what mike was talking about

Agreed. I think he was saying that Jack was more geared towards rock as Matt was. Let's face it, once you go from Matt Cameron to Dave A, the next person after Dave A is going to sound a lot more Matt-like. I enjoyed Dave, but I can see why he was too much for the band.
    Camden I '06, Camden II '06, Bonnaroo '08, Camden I '08, Camden II '08, Philly Spectrum II/III/IV '09, MSG I '10, MSG II '10, Made In America '12, Wrigley '13, Brooklyn II '13, Philly I '13, Philly II '13, ...
  • Options
    beachdwellerbeachdweller Posts: 1,532
    elderman wrote:

started with Matt, ends with Matt (a long time from now, hopefully)
    "Music, for me, was fucking heroin." eV (nothing Ed has said is more true for me personally than this quote)

Stop by:
    http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=14678777351&ref=mf
  • Options
    UKpearljammerUKpearljammer Bath, UK Posts: 910
    I remember something I saw recently (could've been an old article) where Neil Young was talking about how he loved Jack Irons as a drummer and how he couldn't say enough nice things about his drumming, guess he liked his feel.
    My PJ shows:
    London 28/10/96, Las Vegas 11/7/98, London 29/5/00, Nurnburg 11/6/00, Prague 14/6/00, Salzburg 18/6/00, Verona 20/6/00, Milan 22/6/00, Zurich 23/6/00, New York 8-9/7/03, Boston 11/7/03, Reading Festival 27/8/06, Shepards Bush 11/8/09, Berlin 15/8/09, Manchester 17/8/09, London 18/8/09, Dublin 22/6/10, Belfast 23/6/10, London (HRC) 25/6/10, Alpine Valley (PJ20) 3-4/9/11, Manchester 20-21/6/12, Leeds 8/7/14, Milton Keynes 11/7/14 To be continued....