has this weird phenomenon every happened to you?

GreenTeaDiseaseGreenTeaDisease Posts: 3,359
edited December 2007 in The Porch
At boston 1, 2003, I was tailgating before the show, and the topic, as it always did on that tour, turned to the set list and what they'd open with. I had only heard of Oceans as an opener once at that point, and I said "I would love Oceans, but it will never happen." the people I was talking to thought it was a rather novel idea.

they opened that show with Oceans.

Then at Boston 2, 2006, I was having dinner across the street at the Harp before the show with my brother and we were discussing what we wanted to hear that night. After careful consideration, I'm like "State of Love and Trust. and Rearviewmirror." and my brother goes, "and Parachutes would be awesome."

wouldn't you know. they played SOLAT and RVM *and* they played Parachutes for the first time ever.

freaky.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• my wife and I always try to guess the opener....I think we've got it right maybe once out of 12 shows.
    "It's all happening"
  • pjfan31pjfan31 Posts: 7,331
    Well i went to sydney 3 with a mate who isnt a pearl jam fan, but he loves Last kiss, I said i hope for ur sake they play it. Sure enough they did, and it sounds strange but last kiss was one of the great moments of that night, the whole atmosphere was special. Pus he got all of the hits that he knows, while he enjoyed the show i havent converted him from all that gangster rap bullshit
    Sydney 11/02/2003
    Sydney 14/02/2003
    Sydney 07/11/2006
    Sydney 18/11/2006
    Sydney 22/11/2009
    EV Sydney 18/03/2011
    EV Sydney 19/03/2011
    EV Sydney 20/03/2011
    Melbourne 24/01/2014
    Sydney 26/01/2014
    EV Sydney 13/02/2014
  • Waiting in line for the Quebec City show in 2005, me and some other folks were talking about what songs we'd like to hear and I said "It'd be great if they ended with Fuckin' Up and Ledbetter"

Low and behold, that's exactly what they ended with.

God damn, that was a great concert, my only PJ one yet...that is tragic.
  • my wife and I always try to guess the opener....I think we've got it right maybe once out of 12 shows.

honestly this sounds really dumb, but I actually think that ed may have heard me say that at that show. Not long after I said it he rode his bike by us, talking to fans. I mean it is a real long shot, but I've just always had a weird feeling it wasn't a coincidence, and it was totally possible.
  • At boston 1, 2003, I was tailgating before the show, and the topic, as it always did on that tour, turned to the set list and what they'd open with. I had only heard of Oceans as an opener once at that point, and I said "I would love Oceans, but it will never happen." the people I was talking to thought it was a rather novel idea.

Then at Boston 2, 2006, I was having dinner across the street at the Harp before the show with my brother and we were discussing what we wanted to hear that night. After careful consideration, I'm like "State of Love and Trust. and Rearviewmirror." and my brother goes, "and Parachutes would be awesome."

wouldn't you know. they played SOLAT and RVM *and* they played Parachutes for the first time ever.

freaky.

NO WORD OF A LIE, I JUST DOWNLOADED THIS SHOW!

FFREAKy FRIDAY! :D
    I will be what i could be
    Once I get out of this town

9/29/04;6/27/08;6/30/08;8/23/09;08/24/09;5/17/10
  • At boston 1, 2003, I was tailgating before the show, and the topic, as it always did on that tour, turned to the set list and what they'd open with. I had only heard of Oceans as an opener once at that point, and I said "I would love Oceans, but it will never happen." the people I was talking to thought it was a rather novel idea.

freaky.
    cant say that has really happened to me. but you mentioned the harp. ahh what a great place that was on the vfc warm up:)
    Just, not enough.
    I need more.
    Nothing seems to satisfy.
    I said, I dont want it.
    I just need it.
    To breathe, to feel, to know Im alive.
  • mohomoho Posts: 540
    In the crowd waiting for th eopening act in Dublin 06 people were talking about PJ's opener and release, long road, sometimes, severed hand were mentioned. I was the only person to say Inside Job and people kinda brushed me off.... then what did they open with? Inside Job!

Also in Copenhagen I had said Long Road from the moment the dates were announced, but that one was easy. During the gig though my girlfriend says "I hope they play Love Reign O'er Me next" next thing we hear is those opening piano chords!
    JUST PLAY THE F***ING NOTE!!!
  • My mate came to his first PJ show at newcastle.
    He didnt care what was played exept that he wanted to hear yellow ledbetter. when at the end of the show they went into RITFW I looked at him and went Sorry mate but then they went on to play YL and added Little wing ( my mates wedding song). he was in a state of bliss He couldnt believe it
    what a sweet ending for a fantastic night
    AUSSIE AUSSIE AUSSIE
  • I really wanted them to play Evenflow...and they did!

I was sooo surprised.
    "Don't lose your inner heat...ever" - EV 5/13/06
  • I was real good at calling out openers during the 2003 tour. Since then its all gone down hill. lol
  • pjtaperpjtaper Posts: 3,020
    try guessing the last song... you will be right at least 25% of the time if you stick to YLB, RITFW, Indifference, or Baba!
  • pjtaper wrote:
    try guessing the last song... you will be right at least 25% of the time if you stick to YLB, RITFW, Indifference, or Baba!

Or ''Smile'' when they play Summerfest or Alpine. :D
  • BinFrogBinFrog MA Posts: 7,292
    At boston 1, 2003, I was tailgating before the show, and the topic, as it always did on that tour, turned to the set list and what they'd open with. I had only heard of Oceans as an opener once at that point, and I said "I would love Oceans, but it will never happen." the people I was talking to thought it was a rather novel idea.

freaky.

And it was the best RVM I have ever seen, and probably in my top 2-3 concert moments ever. The ending jam with the crowd going nuts and Mike up on the amps is seared in my brain.
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • OttOtt Posts: 403
    On the way out form Seattle to the Gorge in '05, while the radio station was playin 107 PJ songs, I told my friend that I reeeaaallly hoped they'd play "I Believe in Miracles." The acoustic set begins and they play the first chords. I knew then it was gonna be a special night.

Ott
    'Give me some music; music, moody food/ of us that trade in love'
    -Shakespeare
  • 12345AGNST112345AGNST1 Posts: 4,906
    5/28/06 my only pj show i had leash stuck in my head, hoping they would play it. and of course they did, little did i know it was the 3rd time they played it since 94.
    5/28/06, 6/27/08, 10/28/09, 5/18/10, 5/21/10
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
  • a5pja5pj Hershey PA Posts: 3,834
    i love guessing the opener, been right a few times, other times wayyyy off, especially with lolla and the vic. I still need to hear sometimes as an opener though. and oceans is one of the best openers ever, wash may top it though :)
    Wouldn't it be funny if the world ended in 2010, with lots of fire?

• Best I've ever gotten was telling my wife prior to the Cleveland 5/20/06 show that I could die happy if they played Don't Gimme No Lip. And then they did.
    - Justin

You think the Slayer tour is out, or what?

"Finally! I get to save the earth with deadly lasers instead of deadly slide shows." -- Al Gore.
  • Best I've ever gotten was telling my wife prior to the Cleveland 5/20/06 show that I could die happy if they played Don't Gimme No Lip. And then they did.

WTF!!! That's your dying request!!!!
    "It's all happening"
  • WTF!!! That's your dying request!!!!

It was that night. What can I say, I'm fan of the Gossard. However, I have since devised a new dying request.
    - Justin

You think the Slayer tour is out, or what?

"Finally! I get to save the earth with deadly lasers instead of deadly slide shows." -- Al Gore.
  • BinFrog wrote:
    And it was the best RVM I have ever seen, and probably in my top 2-3 concert moments ever. The ending jam with the crowd going nuts and Mike up on the amps is seared in my brain.

hahaha I almost passed out during it!!! I was just kinda standing there jumping around and I start just getting chills...and then I'm thinking "hmm I feel a little dehydrated" and then I'm thinking "woo, I feel a little light headed" and then I'm like "hmm I should probably sit down..." but I just couldn't.
  • pjfan31pjfan31 Posts: 7,331
    I really wanted them to play Evenflow...and they did!

I was sooo surprised.

Haha. Are u tht alsion dubois? ur good.

I tell you Ive been to 4 concerts, they have opened with Long road, Can't keep, Release and Betterman.

release and Betterman were the best operners ever. Personally i like it when they start off with a slow song thwen they get stuck into last exit or something. Sweeeeeet
    Sydney 11/02/2003
    Sydney 14/02/2003
    Sydney 07/11/2006
    Sydney 18/11/2006
    Sydney 22/11/2009
    EV Sydney 18/03/2011
    EV Sydney 19/03/2011
    EV Sydney 20/03/2011
    Melbourne 24/01/2014
    Sydney 26/01/2014
    EV Sydney 13/02/2014
  • At my 3rd show which was the 2nd Detroit show on the Riot Act tour we were standing in line waiting to claim our tickets and some guy from Toronto asked what I would like to hear them play. I said I'd like to hear Whipping and what do you know, they played it! Amazing show, lots from No Code played. Not to mention Leatherman.
  • pjfan31 wrote:
    Haha. Are u tht alsion dubois? ur good.

I tell you Ive been to 4 concerts, they have opened with Long road, Can't keep, Release and Betterman.

release and Betterman were the best operners ever. Personally i like it when they start off with a slow song thwen they get stuck into last exit or something. Sweeeeeet

Hell yeah! I totally agree. In Nijmegen this year, they opened with Release and then went straight into 'Go'! I felt like i had just had my ass kicked!
    "This town deserves a better class of criminal... and I'm gonna give it to them."

• been to 4 concerts awesome!!!!
  • HinnyHinny Posts: 1,610
    Newcastle 06, thinking 'they can't possibly play anything that would be cooler than that last song'.

Well, it just kept happening, over and over.
    Binary solo..000000100000111100001110
  • yep.
    calgary 2005. i was being interviewed for the touring van dvd and was asked what song do you most hope to hear this tour...and i said oceans s i'd never heard it live just yet. the show opened with oceans/ :D twas beautiful! sadly, that part didn't make the dvd, only incoherent drunken blabbing from em did. :p
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow