Options

Columbia,sc Wow!!!

JamonitJamonit Posts: 21
edited March 2008 in The Porch
I cant believe that they are playing here! I wonder if Ed knows about the Confederate Flag that flies on the state house grounds? EWWWEEEE its gonna be good mama!!Cant believe it!!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    alabamaalabama Posts: 101
    I am planning on coming to Columbia for the show, as I don't think Birmingham, AL is going to ever get any more shows! :) Any advice on places to stay?
  • Options
    alex_scalex_sc Posts: 116
    This made my night. Coming to SC?!?!? wooooohooooooo
    Philly 05 ~ Camden I 06 ~ DC 06 ~ Columbia 08 ~ Va. Beach 08 ~ Camden I 08 ~ Atlanta 12 ~ Charlotte 13 ~ Columbia 16
  • Options
    encompassing tripencompassing trip Columbia SC Posts: 160
    bamajam wrote:
    I am planning on coming to Columbia for the show, as I don't think Birmingham, AL is going to ever get any more shows! :) Any advice on places to stay?
    Hampton Inn in the Vista. Gervais Street.
    There is also The Clausen Inn in the 5points area.
    Other than that, try the Clarion House also on Gervais Street. Lots of nightlife in each location but from the Clarion you may have to take a cab 1 mile. Anything around the state house you should be set. Nightlife may be dull on a Monday night.
  • Options
    Red LukinRed Lukin Canada Posts: 2,994
    *cough* Please let's keep this show on the down low. I heard the venue sucks, you get kicked out for smoking, they have a 10:30 cerfew..probably the worst place to see PJ : )
  • Options
    ThunderclapThunderclap Lexington, KY Posts: 108
    Other than that, try the Clarion House also on Gervais Street. Lots of nightlife in each location but from the Clarion you may have to take a cab 1 mile. Anything around the state house you should be set. Nightlife may be dull on a Monday night.

what's the area around the venue like? Is it in a decent neighborhood or will I need a gun or a baseball bat? Would I be crazy to walk or bike from the Clarion to the venue?

And I agree with Red Lukin. I hear the roof leaks, the beer at the concession stand (yeah, there's only one) is always flat, and the acoustics are horrible.
    TEACHER SEEKS PUPIL
    Must have an earnest desire to save the world
    Apply in person
  • Options
    Red LukinRed Lukin Canada Posts: 2,994
    I'm glad you're with me Thunder. Yes TCers, stay away from SC. Go to New York, or even Virginia Beach
  • Options
    alabamaalabama Posts: 101

Thanks for the info! I'm coming either way, but is the venue really that bad??
  • Options
    Drew263Drew263 Birmingham, AL Posts: 602
    Thanks for the info...staying at the Hampton..

but I too heard that the venue blows, they don't allow hippies in Columbia, and there is a 10:30 curfew!

I'd stay away too uhhh..... if it wasn't my only choice. :eek:
  • Options
    fuckfuck Posts: 4,069
    bamajam wrote:
    Thanks for the info! I'm coming either way, but is the venue really that bad??
    They're trying to get people not to try for tickets.

Anyway, this is probably a move to try to sway some people into voting Democrat or something.
  • Options
    markymark550markymark550 Columbia, SC Posts: 5,104
    They're trying to get people not to try for tickets.

Anyway, this is probably a move to try to sway some people into voting Democrat or something.
    I am a liberal living in South Carolina, and if that's part of the reason they are coming, they need to just give it up now. It's almost pointless to vote for the dems in this state.

Other than that, I'm really excited about this. I will great parking as they are literally playing across the street from where I work. I'll see all you guys there, if you are able to make the trip!
  • Options
    intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,225
    I'll be trying to make the Columbia show too. I know tickets will be hard to get so many people from all over GA, SC, NC will be trying to get to this show.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Options
    Red Lukin wrote:
    *cough* Please let's keep this show on the down low. I heard the venue sucks, you get kicked out for smoking, they have a 10:30 cerfew..probably the worst place to see PJ : )

There is a Non-Smoking policy that was just placed on most public places.
    It is a 2-3 year old arena style venue.

There is a Budweiser distributer just a few miles away so I can't imaging the beer being flat. If it is, just ask for your money back.

There is a 11 o'clock curfew so "Keely, hit the lights" will probably be around 10:30. Hopefully PJ will go on early.

The city is pretty safe. I wouldn't recommend any girl walking alone because people are crazy. It's a pretty clean city especially near the venue.

Columbia has always had a bad wrap with concerts. Mainly due to the crowd being subdued. If you're not into the journey it then just don't buy a ticket and let someone more appreciative enjoy it.

If you get there early and looking for something to do then try Riverbanks Zoo, Kayak down the Congaree River (Boat Rentals next to Starbucks) Visit The Columbia Museum of Art or The State House (yes, with the confederate flag), or there are plenty of bars and restaurants in the area.

It is also a Hippie Friendly city but common sense should tell you that if you look or act like a stoner you better leave your stash in the hotel room. Monday night isn't usually the best nightlife and the police usually need something to do to justify their job.

Looking for more info? vistacolumbia.com
  • Options
    intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,225
    I went to college there.

Hunter & Gather is a decent little microbrewery you can check out. It is on main street behind the capital.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Options
    intodeep wrote:
    I went to college there.

Hunter & Gather is a decent little microbrewery you can check out. It is on main street behind the capital.

Yes! Good food with a excellent atmosphere! Probably my favorite bar in Columbia. I also like The Blue Martini and Wild Wing Sports bar. I have a feeling that everyone will be at The Flying Saucer, Jillians, or Liberty. It's the closest place to the Colonial Center.

I forgot to mention, Parking is ample at the Colonial Center. Probably okay around town also on a Monday.
  • Options
    I'll be there, though last time i saw PJ in SC in '96, my seats were next to 4 piss-drunk morons that kept falling all over me and my friend, nearly knocking us both off the bleachers.

:rolleyes:

But i think this will be a good show.
    PJ will be on their "best" behavior trying to win over all the southies they pissed off over the last few years.
    :D
    If I was to smile and I held out my hand
    If I opened it now would you not understand?
  • Options
    my seats were next to 4 piss-drunk morons that kept falling all over me and my friend, nearly knocking us both off the bleachers.

:rolleyes:
    :D
    Sorry, too much tequila that night.

Why will the SC show be good?
    They've played SC only TWICE.
    Look at the past setlists.

1998-09-04 Greenville South Carolina Bi-Lo Center
    Set 1
    Oceans,
    Do The Evolution,
    Animal,
    Given To Fly,
    Corduroy,
    I Got Id,<
    In Hiding,
    Jeremy,
    Even Flow,
    Nothingman,
    Not For You,
    Rearviewmirror,
    Wishlist,
    Brain Of J.,
    All Those Yesterdays<
    Porch
    Encore 1
    Go,
    Hail Hail,
    Daughter/(Noise of Carpet)/(W.M.A.),
    Mankind,
    Elderly Woman Behind The Counter In A Small Town,
    Fuckin' Up
    Encore 2
    Indifference

1996-10-05 Charleston South Carolina N. Charleston Coliseum
    Set 1
    Sometimes,
    Last Exit,
    Animal,
    Go,
    Hail Hail,
    Dissident, <
    In My Tree,
    Corduroy,
    Better Man,
    Not For You,
    Jeremy,
    Black, State Of Love And Trust, <
    Habit,
    Rearviewmirror,
    Elderly Woman Behind The Counter In A Small Town,
    Alive,
    Blood/(Fame ,Bowie Cover) <

Encore 1
    Present Tense, <
    Even Flow,
    Daughter,
    My Friend, <----(Improv)
    Off He Goes,
    Mankind,
    Whipping,
    Footsteps,<
    Yellow Ledbetter<
    (As if Footsteps wasn't enough!!)
  • Options
    Maybe a "2001" tease during YLB this time??
  • Options
    Drew263 wrote:
    but I too heard that the venue blows, they don't allow hippies in Columbia, and there is a 10:30 curfew!

Oh yes they do. ;)

And I've been at a club down there once that stayed open til around 1, I'm pretty sure.
    If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.

Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.
    -Oscar Wilde
  • Options
    for those who are thinking of heading to columbia who haven't been there before you should definitely try to spend the day hanging out. columbia is a great place. being a west coast kid it took me a bit to adjust being there. the south could be another country as far as i'm concerned. but do spend some time roaming around....if anyone is interested i could throw out some suggestions..i just need a minute to think about them..
  • Options
    two so far..

the whig (1200 main street) is right by the capital. easy to miss. it's below street level (the stairs are right off the sidewalk). small place. great food. awesome atmosphere.

papa jazz (2014 greene street) is a solid independent record store. they had the s/t album on the shelf a few days before its official release
  • Options
    fordmoofordmoo Posts: 2
    I'm so suprised PJ is coming to Columbia of all places. Anyway I grew up there and will deffinatly be going back to see old friends and to see a good band. Can't wait.
  • Options
    faithful227faithful227 Posts: 352
    I'll be making the trek all the way from NC :)

With a short detour to West Palm Beach and Tampa.
    VHC member #155***

Ft Lauderdale '96:::West Palm Beach '98:::Tampa '00:::Tampa '03:::Camden 1&2 '06::: DC '06:::West Palm Beach '08:::Tampa '08:::Columbia '08:::Virginia Beach '08

• Options
    PorchsitterPorchsitter Loganville, GA Posts: 1,069
    I will be doing what I can to make it to Columbia for this. It's the closest they are coming to Atlanta, and it seems I'm just going to have to grow accustomed to the idea of traveling to see them live. At least I don't have to drive all the way to Cinci like 06.
    We are the facilitators of our own creative evolution.--Bill Hicks
  • Options
    I will definitely be traveling the 4.5 hours to see the show. Have never been to Columbia...anyone been to a show at the venue? How are the acoustics? How large/how many people does it hold/how good are my chances for tickets? Do they charge for parking all over town like most large cities or it is more of a smaller city feel? Thanks for the restaurant/bar recommendations, I'm a curious traveler...any info is welcome!
  • Options
    Oh yes they do. ;)

And I've been at a club down there once that stayed open til around 1, I'm pretty sure.
    The curfew for concert noise is 11. Most bars stay open until 2 AM. There are a few that go all night but you need a "membership" (City Regulations). I'm pretty sure there are a few strip clubs that stay open late if you aren't through partying.
  • Options
    I will definitely be traveling the 4.5 hours to see the show. Have never been to Columbia...anyone been to a show at the venue? How are the acoustics? How large/how many people does it hold/how good are my chances for tickets? Do they charge for parking all over town like most large cities or it is more of a smaller city feel? Thanks for the restaurant/bar recommendations, I'm a curious traveler...any info is welcome!

I don't think they charge for parking at the venue. If they do you could park on the street somewhere for free. I'm pretty sure venue parking is free. The acoustics are probably ok for an indoor show.
    It holds 19,000 people for Gamecock Basketball games although I don't think it has ever sold out.
    Prince, Elton John, Britney Spears, The Hives w/ Maroon 5 and Jimmy Buffet are a few big acts that have played here so I'm sure they considered acoustics before erecting this structure and booking them.

Tickets should be pretty easy to obtain. Most shows don't sell out and a Monday isn't exactly a convenient night for concert goers. As the old saying goes "There's always a ticket"

Scalpers beware! It's illegal to charge over face value for tickets in this state! So if you decide to rip off some desperate fan looking for a ticket, it may be an undercover agent........and you'll be in the slammer for the night. Be fair, FACE VALUE SALES ARE NOT ILLEGAL.

Every bar that has been recommended so far is ideal for any PJ fan. Parking lot tailgating is likely also. May be hot in June so bring a dining canopy, and lots of ice. Walk down to the river to cool off and take a swim. It's only 2 blocks away.
  • Options
    UKpearljammerUKpearljammer Bath, UK Posts: 910
    According to the official site the capacity is 18,000.

http://www.thecolonialcenter.com/600/GeneralInformation.asp
    My PJ shows:
    London 28/10/96, Las Vegas 11/7/98, London 29/5/00, Nurnburg 11/6/00, Prague 14/6/00, Salzburg 18/6/00, Verona 20/6/00, Milan 22/6/00, Zurich 23/6/00, New York 8-9/7/03, Boston 11/7/03, Reading Festival 27/8/06, Shepards Bush 11/8/09, Berlin 15/8/09, Manchester 17/8/09, London 18/8/09, Dublin 22/6/10, Belfast 23/6/10, London (HRC) 25/6/10, Alpine Valley (PJ20) 3-4/9/11, Manchester 20-21/6/12, Leeds 8/7/14, Milton Keynes 11/7/14 To be continued....
  • Options
    AtlantaJammerAtlantaJammer Posts: 2,611
    Already booked a room at the Hampton Inn.
  • Options
    never been to Columbia SC but that never stopped me before

pre party???????????
    PEARL JAM~Lubbock, TX. 10~18~00
    PEARL JAM~San Antonio, TX. 4~5~03
    INCUBUS~Houston, TX. 1~19~07
    INCUBUS~Denver, CO. 2~8~07
    Lollapalooza~Chicago, IL. 8~5~07
    INCUBUS~Austin, TX. 9~3~07
    Bonnaroo~Manchester, TN 6~14~08
  • Options
    18,000 is quite a lot of people for outside of Atlanta (to me anyway!) so that's exciting. Makes me think that even if the 10C tickets sell out we've got a really good chance of scoring some through TM. I've never been to SC besides Greenville, but I'm up for an adventure. Possibly Tampa as well. I hate being broke!!