Options

Interviewer- "What Is Pearl Jam?" Eddie-"We'd Rather Challenge Our Fans"

SoapMakesUTallerSoapMakesUTaller Posts: 230
edited August 2008 in The Porch
Right before the 2000 tragedy.....Great interview with Eddie.
NYROCK:
Critics could claim you try to keep people from your music. For instance, your single "Nothing As It Seems" is five and a half minutes, far too long for radio. And truth be told, although some bands would probably build a career around a song that has the quality of "Nothing As It Seems," compared to the rest of Binaural, it seems to be the weakest link of an otherwise strong album.

EDDIE:
We're not trying to put people off deliberately. It's not as if we want to stop them from buying our albums. You know as well as I do that it doesn't work. You can't stop them from buying albums, just as you can't make the audience buy albums. But we don't want to lead them on. For example, if we'd have a song with some earworm quality and great hook lines as a single, a lot of people would think the album is like the single and they'd be disappointed. OK, a lot of people would like that, especially the record companies wouldn't mind if we'd sell more albums this way. But for us, it just wouldn't be right. It's not the way we do it. It's not Pearl Jam.

NYROCK:
I'm curious, what is Pearl Jam then?

EDDIE:
We'd rather challenge our fans and make them listen to our songs than give them something that's easy to digest. There is a lot of music out there that is very easy to digest but we never wanted to be part of it.

NYROCK:
And you're known for your dislike of interviews and PR....

EDDIE:
I know our record company would like nothing better than to do a huge PR campaign, a real marketing bash, but I can't even stand the thought. It makes me physically sick just to think about it.

NYROCK:
Do journalists bother you or do you dislike giving interviews?

EDDIE:
I don't mind talking to people. I don't mind giving interviews so much, but the way it's all organized and regulated. That's almost like being in the army. I don't like rules and regulations.

NYROCK:
On the last track of the album one can hear you frustratingly hacking away on your typewriter. Rumor has it that you were suffering from a severe writer's block....

EDDIE:
I almost went completely crazy. I kept changing the lyrics and then changed them again, just to write another version. I ended up with several versions and then used the best and just put them together and that worked surprisingly well. But before I did that, I thought it would never happen, I'd never be able to finish it.

NYROCK:
Knowing writer's block it sounds pretty hellish to me....

EDDIE:
It was my own personal hell. I had a great time but at the same time the lyrics just didn't come together and I was wrecking my head. Somehow I still can't believe that it's all done and over with, that I finally got the lyrics together.

NYROCK:
Many bands would give an arm and a leg for success, but you seem to dislike it....

EDDIE:
I don't hate success, but I never wanted to be the spokesperson for my generation. So I just kind of sat it out for almost seven years and decided to wait it out and see if it would pass. I like music. Finally writing songs and performing is fun again. But I would like it a lot better if I could just do it, then walk away and be anonymous again.

NYROCK:
You're the president of the Pete Townshend fan club and perform his songs with your cover band, just for fun or in little clubs in Seattle....

EDDIE:
Eddie Vedder of Pearl Jam
Eddie Vedder, Verona, Italy,
June 20, 2000
Photo © Pearl Jam and Liz

Just the other day I thought, "When Pete was my age he had already written Tommy," and that made it much harder to come up with good lyrics. I was always comparing my lyrics to great lyrics. There's so much junk on the radio – I still don't have MTV and I really don't miss it – that I set myself very high standards. I wanted to avoid bad lyrics at all costs. I'm not even talking about the Backstreet Boys or NSYNC; they're something completely else. I think they're in a world, or maybe even a universe, of their own. I'm talking about a lot of rock bands don't seem to have anything to say and they just don't move me.

NYROCK:
You also seem to have some issues with the U.S. ....

EDDIE:
I'd like to be proud of my country. There are a lot of great people in this country and I meet people every day that I truly admire. But, on the other hand, there are also so many idiots in this country. We're one of the super powers, but what good does it do? We may have the biggest weapons, but sometimes I think the smallest brains control them.

NYROCK:
You still use a typewriter instead of a computer to write your lyrics and from what you say, it seems as if you're vehemently anti-technology....

EDDIE:
I think technology went wrong somewhere. It just went into the wrong direction. Instead of helping us and freeing us, it seems to enslave us. That's what I talk about in "Grievance," about the dangers and what a lot of people don't see or don't want to see. There's the line. For every tool they lend us a loss of independence and it's true. Everything happens so fast. The technology is supposed to make everything simple, easy. It tries to make us believe that it's some sort of freedom we have. Of course, it's easy and comfortable if you can do all your shopping via the internet, if you don't need to leave the house to do anything. But, on the other hand, what is going to happen? You lose touch with people. You don't meet new people except on the internet and whatever you do can be traced. They know everything about you; they know what you buy; they know which papers you read, how long you stay on a page and they look at your statistics and they're going to offer you the products they think you might buy – most of them you don't really need anyway. What is going to happen to individuality?

NYROCK:
How do you feel that you've lost against Ticketmaster? I do admire you on the courage to take them on, but it is sad that now you are forced to work with them again....

EDDIE:
OK, we might have lost the war and we're forced to work with them again, but, on the other hand, I really do think it was a wake-up call for a lot of people and they started to notice what was going on. Especially on the East Coast, there are a lot of independent promoters who don't work with Ticketmaster and we're trying to work with them as much as we can. It might not be a lot that we have achieved, but at least we tried and we did our best.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    IgottagoIgottago Posts: 483
    I hope they want to challenge us again with the new record.
  • Options
    G ForceG Force Posts: 1,392
    That is a good interview. The interviewer was really going after Ed. Made it quite interesting.

Gracias. Good post.
  • Options
    I really don't think that Nothing as it Seems is the weakest link on the album. I fucking love that song, and I wish they would play it more often.

But thanks for the interview...some good reading
  • Options
    memememe Posts: 4,693
    "I almost went completely crazy. I kept changing the lyrics and then changed them again, just to write another version. I ended up with several versions and then used the best and just put them together and that worked surprisingly well. But before I did that, I thought it would never happen, I'd never be able to finish it."

Sounds like me writing my dissertation :D

thanks for posting :)
    ... and the will to show I will always be better than before.
  • Options
    gndcd402gndcd402 Posts: 2,558
    EDDIE:
    I think technology went wrong somewhere. It just went into the wrong direction. Instead of helping us and freeing us, it seems to enslave us. That's what I talk about in "Grievance," about the dangers and what a lot of people don't see or don't want to see. There's the line. For every tool they lend us a loss of independence and it's true. Everything happens so fast. The technology is supposed to make everything simple, easy. It tries to make us believe that it's some sort of freedom we have. Of course, it's easy and comfortable if you can do all your shopping via the internet, if you don't need to leave the house to do anything. But, on the other hand, what is going to happen? You lose touch with people. You don't meet new people except on the internet and whatever you do can be traced. They know everything about you; they know what you buy; they know which papers you read, how long you stay on a page and they look at your statistics and they're going to offer you the products they think you might buy – most of them you don't really need anyway. What is going to happen to individuality?

Seems kind of hyprocritical now with him and his iPhone haha.
  • Options
    NAIS is a good tune but as a single I always thought it was a weird choice. "Grievance" or "Breakerfall" would've made more sense.

I like Binaural a lot--"In the Moonlight" and "Sad" should never have been cut though!
    So this life is sacrifice...
    6/30/98 Minneapolis, 10/8/00 East Troy (Brrrr!), 6/16/03 St. Paul, 6/27/06 St. Paul
  • Options
    gndcd402 wrote:
    Seems kind of hyprocritical now with him and his iPhone haha.

Not so much hypocritical it's just hindsight is 20-20. In 2000 I could see some his concerns about individuality and losing touch with people but with the rise of social networking and ultraportable devices (like the iPhone) technology has actually put us in touch with real people in ways never thought possible. I know more about what's going on in my friends lives than ever because of Facebook.
    So this life is sacrifice...
    6/30/98 Minneapolis, 10/8/00 East Troy (Brrrr!), 6/16/03 St. Paul, 6/27/06 St. Paul