Options

When you listen to PJ do you associate them still with grunge?

musicismylife78musicismylife78 Posts: 6,117
edited March 2008 in The Porch
In a previous thread I stated that I felt even after the band is non existent, they will forever be associated with the Grunge scene and seattle. This would true even if the truly absurd were to happen, like they recorded a countryish Wilco inspired album or something.

My question to you all is, when you attend a PJ gig or listen to a PJ album do you still picture Seattle and Grunge and the 90’s in your mind? Do you personally still associate the band and the times they rose out of? When you hear Tremor Christ do you picture 1994, and how weird it felt that Kurt was gone and how that permeated the album, and to bring it current when you listen to Life Wasted or Inside Job do you picture the 1990’s, grunge and seattle?

Oddly enough I don’t know if I would. I still picture the crazy, amazing and often scary early 90’s and how I felt, how mindblowing it was to feel like an entire scene was speaking to me and my generation. But I don’t even think the band necessarily considers themselves Seattlians(?) Ed still lives there obviously, but doesn’t Stone live in Montana and don’t Jeff and Mike live elsewhere, Portland maybe. So its not like they are all in Seattle anymore.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    pjalive21pjalive21 St. Louis, MO Posts: 2,818
    In a previous thread I stated that I felt even after the band is non existent, they will forever be associated with the Grunge scene and seattle. This would true even if the truly absurd were to happen, like they recorded a countryish Wilco inspired album or something.

My question to you all is, when you attend a PJ gig or listen to a PJ album do you still picture Seattle and Grunge and the 90’s in your mind? Do you personally still associate the band and the times they rose out of? When you hear Tremor Christ do you picture 1994, and how weird it felt that Kurt was gone and how that permeated the album, and to bring it current when you listen to Life Wasted or Inside Job do you picture the 1990’s, grunge and seattle?

Oddly enough I don’t know if I would. I still picture the crazy, amazing and often scary early 90’s and how I felt, how mindblowing it was to feel like an entire scene was speaking to me and my generation. But I don’t even think the band necessarily considers themselves Seattlians(?) Ed still lives there obviously, but doesn’t Stone live in Montana and don’t Jeff and Mike live elsewhere, Portland maybe. So its not like they are all in Seattle anymore.

i dont with PJ, but i do think about the 90's and grunge when i hear Soundgarden and Smashing Pumpkins and as much as i dont want to say it Alice in Chains as well

PJ has evolved enough not to be pegged with a certain era
  • Options
    No.
    Because the band has survived and evolved for many years past the days of "grunge".

And that is a good thing.
    :D

I do in ways still associate them, sentimentaly, with my youth and the feeling i had during those "grunge" years ...
    and certainly it brings back memories. But i don't consciously view them as currently trying to relive of emulate any of that.
    Things were different then. All is different now.
    :cool:
    If I was to smile and I held out my hand
    If I opened it now would you not understand?
  • Options

You assume that I ever associated them with grunge, lol. Always are always have been and always will be PURE rock
    "So forget the other boys because my love is real.
    Come off your battlefield."
  • Options
    augustwestaugustwest Posts: 739
    i'm with pilatesB...grunge was a term created to sell a hype...it was only rock and roll in disguise.
  • Options
    faithful227faithful227 Posts: 352
    Like the few posts before me I never really got the term "grunge". Wasn't it really just rock?

Couldn't stand the word then and I still don't care for it now.

Pearl Jam however will be forever associated with the term :(
    VHC member #155***

Ft Lauderdale '96:::West Palm Beach '98:::Tampa '00:::Tampa '03:::Camden 1&2 '06::: DC '06:::West Palm Beach '08:::Tampa '08:::Columbia '08:::Virginia Beach '08

• Options
    pjstarrpjstarr Posts: 269
    Don't associate Pearl Jam with Grunge, Have to agree with Harper here "greatest band in the world" Whatever genre you want to call them, I say rocknroll.
    "I think this is the coldest red wine I've ever had"
    E.V- Ice Bowl, Alpine Valley 2000

Alpine Valley 6 -27-98 Palace 10-7-00 Alpine Valley 10-8-00
    Shoreline 6-1-03 DTE 6-25-03 DTE 6-26-03
    Pepsi Center 7-2-06 Pepsi Center 7-3-06
    Riverside Theater E.V solo 8-19-08
  • Options
    stillalivejlpstillalivejlp Massachusetts Posts: 76
    I still picture the crazy, amazing and often scary early 90’s and how I felt, how mindblowing it was to feel like an entire scene was speaking to me and my generation.

I feel the same way. I was in college when Ten came out, and PJ was part of the whole defining movement of alternative rock, along with Nirvana, Soundgarden, AIC, the Pumpkins, the Chili Peppers, and even Green Day (although they seemed more punk at the time). So, when I hear any of those bands, it brings me back to the 90s and I'm nostalgic. It's what I still listen to - it pretty much defined my muscial taste. But, years pass and people grow, events happen, music shifts. I think Pearl Jam has stayed true to their original sound, but have also grown and evolved into something better than they were. They turned us on to something new in the 90s, but they've been with us ever since - whether it's helping us get through our own personal journeys or helping us make sense of the times in which we live. Still producing amazing music we can all relate to. And take awe in. I mean, Mike McCready has got to be one of the best guitarists of all time, and Eddie - his lyrics and voice are perfection. So I guess what I'm trying to say is that yeah, I still think of the 90s because that's where it all began. But, since they're still with us today and still rocking - one terms comes to mind. Legendary.

Sorry, maybe I got a little carried away and this was more about "why I love Pearl Jam" than the grunge thing. But, I'm sure you can all appreciate. :)
    Dante: "You hate people!"
    Randal: "But I love gatherings. Isn't it ironic?"
  • Options
    dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    PJ is a flat out rock band...whether it's grunge, alternative..whatever. Point being. Pearl Jam is so diverse in the stuff they write...and In my opinion I think Kurt Cobain was a real shit bag for saying that he liked Eddie but his band sucked. If Cobain was still around I don't hink Nirvana would've went nearly as far as Pearl Jam did...I just never saw that potential in them...

Alice In Chains and Soundgarden are the true grunge bands...Nirvana was just an infatuation at the time...people were turned on by the idea that such a big rock star was such a tortured soul...

Pearl Jam out weighs Nirvana by a landslide. Think about it...Dave Grohl is doing things now days that really have no relevant relationship to Nirvana, at least the sound and style of the music...
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
  • Options
    pjfan85pjfan85 Posts: 124
    I though Ed admitted in Rolling Stone that he had to leave Seattle because of a stalker or something.

I don't associate them with "grunge" anymore, maybe because I was born in 1987. I associate them with Seattle. I'm so sick of that word "grunge", anyways. I'd be really sick of it if I was a teenager during the "grunge" years. I think "grunge" should describe what went on in Seattle. It isn't a specific type of music, just a scene. And, Nickelback, Godsmack, Creed, Puddle of Mudd aren't "grunge" bands like people always claim.
  • Options
    bacojbacoj Posts: 120
    When listening to Ten I can't help but feel a little Grungy. As a whole I associate PJ with the best Rock band ever status. Especially live.
    mmmmm, it does go well with the chicken.....delicious again peter

E. Troy 98, E. Lansing 98, Barrie 98, Hartford 98, Noblesville 00, Detroit 00, E. Troy 00, Champaign 03, Detroit 03 x 2, Grand Rapids 06, Detroit 06, EV Milwaukee 08, SLC 09, Missoula 12
  • Options
    HoochHooch Posts: 37

I was a teenager in the 80's, college in the early to maid (to late) 90's. I always heard people trying to say, "this new band is the next Led Zeppelin". They were usually talking about some hair band thru the 80's. I have to agree with one of the previous posts. Pearl Jam is Legendary at this point. They are the next Zep. Song after song of saying to yourself, "I can't believe they came up with this incredible/beautiful/hairs on the back of your neck standing up amazing song!"

I hope Zeppelin tours later this year as rumored. I hope they can somehow get PJ to open for them at least once or twice. I hope its in Boston, but wherever it is it would be very cosmically appropriate.

Both bands have played, the crowd is going crazy, a few minutes pass in pitch darkness. Two spotlights hit two figures on either side of the stage, it's Jimmy Page and Mike McCreedy each with their double necked guitars slung over their shoulders. The first few chords of Ten Years Gone are played and the place fucking erupts. Plant and Vedder take turns and sing some parts together thru Ten Years Gone, into Yellow Ledbedder.

So, no, I don't think Grunge anymore when I think I PJ. I guess I really never did...
    Been to lots of shows. I love shows...
  • Options
    hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Southwest Burbs of Chicago Posts: 4,869
    but I still consider them an "Alternative" band

really I think they'll go down as a rock band vs seattle/grunge
  • Options
    i consider them more of a classic retro rock band honestly.

Nirvana was punk, Pumpkins was Goth.

I would only consider AiC and Soundgarden as grunge.
  • Options
    what is grunge?
    can't escape from the common rule
    if you hate something, don't you do it too...