Any word on Pearl Jam helping Seattle save the Sonics?

pearljammin41pearljammin41 Posts: 465
edited March 2008 in The Porch
so sorry if there is a thread about this already.
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/080229&sportCat=nba

City: New Haven, Conn.
Name: Ben

I just read your "Save the Sonics" mailbag, and I know this e-mail is too late for its inclusion, but I can't believe no one suggested getting Pearl Jam involved in the fight to save basketball in Seattle. The band members would be perfect spokesmen as NBA fans (as you know, the original name of the band was Mookie Blaylock and their first album is named for his jersey number) and Seattle legends. Plus, you know Eddie would love to take on backstabbing, heartless, billionaire businessmen in a public fight. I'm sure you can use your column or other channels to appeal to the band to join the cause; their support makes too much sense for it not to happen.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• so sorry if there is a thread about this already.
    http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/080229&sportCat=nba

City: New Haven, Conn.
    Name: Ben

I just read your "Save the Sonics" mailbag, and I know this e-mail is too late for its inclusion, but I can't believe no one suggested getting Pearl Jam involved in the fight to save basketball in Seattle. The band members would be perfect spokesmen as NBA fans (as you know, the original name of the band was Mookie Blaylock and their first album is named for his jersey number) and Seattle legends. Plus, you know Eddie would love to take on backstabbing, heartless, billionaire businessmen in a public fight. I'm sure you can use your column or other channels to appeal to the band to join the cause; their support makes too much sense for it not to happen.

I think you've got something here. I would love to see Pearl Jam fight to keep the Sonics in Seattle if that's what it comes down to.

It'd be like fighting Ticketmaster all over again only there'd be a way better chance they could win.
  • I think you've got something here. I would love to see Pearl Jam fight to keep the Sonics in Seattle if that's what it comes down to.

It'd be like fighting Ticketmaster all over again only there'd be a way better chance they could win.

not my idea. I just read it on Bill Simmon's Mailbag on ESPN.com

But i love the idea... but if the band is not into, i understand
  • LONGRDLONGRD Posts: 6,036
    Vote For No Change Tour '08!
    PJ- 04/29/2003.06/24,25,27,28,30/2008.10/27,28,30,31/2009
    EV- 08/09,10/2008.06/08,09/2009
  • JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,395
    I think you've got something here. I would love to see Pearl Jam fight to keep the Sonics in Seattle if that's what it comes down to.

Do you mean as in buying the team?
  • JOEJOEJOE wrote:
    Do you mean as in buying the team?

Haha, that'd be one way to do it!

But no, I just meant Eddie & Co. taking a stand against the Sonics owner(s) to keep the team in Seattle, if that's what it comes down to. Who knows what will happen...
  • i always liked the sonics........... kemp and payton... good times
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    there was another pearl jam reference there:

City: Seattle
    Name: Joe

I read every word of the Sonics mailbag (nearly crying several times) and have to say I was a little disapointed that no Pearl Jam lyrics were included anywhere. So, I will let Mr. Vedder summarize my thoughts on the string of events leading to the Sonics showing promise as a franchise as they are about to leave for OKC.

"I know someday you'll have a beautiful life
    I know you'll be a star
    In somebody else's sky
    But why, why, why can't it be
    Why can't it be mine?"

bill simmons' blog is great.
  • for sure... simmons is the best
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,119
    That would be too bad if they left. I think Jeff lives near the Key. I'm sure he is probably pushing the band to get involved, but at this point it looks grim.

In the five years I lived in Seattle, I thought they supported the Sonics very well. It was a great basketball city.
  • Jason P wrote:
    That would be too bad if they left. I think Jeff lives near the Key. I'm sure he is probably pushing the band to get involved, but at this point it looks grim.

In the five years I lived in Seattle, I thought they supported the Sonics very well. It was a great basketball city.

they still draw more fans than new orleans.. yet stern is hell bent on keeping that team there.... and memphis too
  • vluggagevluggage Posts: 69
    I used to be a big NBA fan. But now, I think the NBA product is complete shit. I hope the band does not waste their time on trying to keep a team in a useless league. There are much more important issues that I think they may want to focus their resources on.
    "I think I kinda want it."
  • oktacomaoktacoma Posts: 335
    Jason P wrote:
    I lived in Tacoma for three years but am now in Oklahoma. I actually thought the level of support for the Sonics was a bit weak, although I grew up in NYC so I'm used to the insanity of New York fans. Nevertheless, being a big hoops fan, I would now love to see professional basketball in Oklahoma, although like many other people here, I'm not happy with how this whole thing is going down.
  • 1/2 Empty wrote:
    I used to be a big NBA fan. But now, I think the NBA product is complete shit. I hope the band does not waste their time on trying to keep a team in a useless league. There are much more important issues that I think they may want to focus their resources on.

um ok
  • godpt3godpt3 Posts: 1,020
    Ha! This is probably the only way PJ will ever visit Oklahoma City again.
    "If all those sweet, young things were laid end to end, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised."
    —Dorothy Parker

http://img210.imageshack.us/img210/6902/conspiracytheoriesxt6qt8.jpg
  • godpt3 wrote:
    Ha! This is probably the only way PJ will ever visit Oklahoma City again.

don't say that!
  • bump this.. someone else trying to steal my thunder with another thread about this
  • Seattle can probably have the Hornets. i dont think New Orleans will be able to keep them around much longer.
  • aNiMaLaNiMaL Posts: 7,118
    MrSmith wrote:
    Seattle can probably have the Hornets. i dont think New Orleans will be able to keep them around much longer.
    See, there is a team that will be moving and a city that wants a team. My point; The Hornets should be the team moved to OK.

The Supes should stay put in Seattle and be re-sold to local owners.
  • rhinomagicrhinomagic Charlottesville, VA Posts: 2,547
    I heard on the radio tonight that some vote in OKC moved the deal one step closer to being done.

Why does Stern want so badly for Seattle to lose their team when there are terribly-supported franchises in Charlotte, New Orleans, Memphis, and Atlanta?

Maybe PJ could play a series of benefits to help S.O.S. Charity is one thing that's always gotten them to stage shows in Seattle.

Memphis 1994
    New Orleans 1995
    Fort Lauderdale 1996
    Atlanta & Birmingham 1998
    New Orleans 2000
    Tampa 2003
    Kissimmee 2004
    New York City (x 2) 2008
    East Troy (x 2) 2011
    Chicago & New Orleans 2013
    Hampton, Raleigh, Boston 2016
    Baltimore 2020
    Louisville 2022
    Philadelphia & Baltimore 2024
  • slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,740
    rhinomagic wrote:
    I heard on the radio tonight that some vote in OKC moved the deal one step closer to being done.

Why does Stern want so badly for Seattle to lose their team when there are terribly-supported franchises in Charlotte, New Orleans, Memphis, and Atlanta?

Maybe PJ could play a series of benefits to help S.O.S. Charity is one thing that's always gotten them to stage shows in Seattle.

Because Clay Bennett wants to move them, and Stern and Bennett are big buddies.
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • This is ridiculous. The Sonics have been in Seattle since 1967.

Of all three major Seattle teams (Sonics, Mariners, Seahawks), the Sonics are the only team to have won a championship.

Besides that, Oklahoma? Seriously? C'mon...