Options

"They write most there own songs?" ... "Heh. You're full of shit!"

DriftingByTheStormDriftingByTheStorm Posts: 8,684
edited March 2008 in The Porch
Uh.
Is it THAT uncommon for bands to write ALL their own songs?

I was just talking to my coworker, after he asked me, "You going to Tennessee?"

He means well, i've been tryin to buff him up on some learnin and what not. I'm in Georgia, and he's got the drawl and chews dip, and goes hunting and all that stuff ... but he's a nice kid.

Anyhow, we were talking this and that, and music too, and he was listening to his ipod and i had said Metallica was playing Bonaroo and i was generally disinterested in seeing them. He put "enter sandman" on his ipod, then the next song that came on, he was like "Hey what's this song?"

I listened to it, and instantly "recognized" it as one of those shit (in my opinion) 5th-tier wanna-be hard-rock seattle inspired type tunes ... it was just the intro riffage ... i said, oh yeah ... "I'm doin the best i ever i did, i'm doin the best i ever had" ... or whatever.

He says, "yeah".

I said, "Man i dunno. I don't even listen to that kind've music. I think it's like POD, or Godsmack, or one of those type bands."

He says, "Yeah, Godsmack, that's it!"

I say, "Yeah ... i guess. I always just got irritated cause i thought they were a cheap and seedy Alice In Chains."

"I never liked bands like that man, there were a bunch of 'em that i never paid attention to."

[keep in mind this kid has all kinds of late 90s rock on his ipod, Nickleback included]

He says, "You like Staind?"

I say, "Man, not really. It's just not my thing. I also kinda got mad cause they covered 'Black' by Pearl Jam."

[not because no one can cover PJ, i just have always maintained, long before this cover originated, that if there was ONE song in PJs cataloge that should never be covered, but probably would be anyhow, it was Black. Because it was a highly personal song that is just "emotional larceny" to cover, imho.]

So i try to explain that to him, and he says,
"Heh. So no one is allowed to cover Pearl Jam?"

And i said, "No man, ah. Nevermind. I just don't think they should have done that song."

He said, "Why?"

I explained that it was highly personal, and it seemed like a "special" song, and it just didn't seem right for someone to cover it and make a buck, or gain popularity on the back of it.

He said, "Oh, so Pearl Jam write most of their own songs?"

I said, "No man. They write all of their own songs."

[to this point he was actualy just asking, and not being condescending at all]

but then he chuckles, and i mean like a bit of a snear too ...
and says, "Yeah right, your full of shit!" ... all while giggling.

IS IT THAT UNCOMMON FOR BANDS TO WRITE THEIR OWN MATERIAL IN FULL?

I mean, seriously? This was like standard for most "grunge" era bands, they never had covers on their albums, and they never had credits to other people [like the Grateful Dead all go to Robert Hunter or whatever, and Axl Rose had that friend that helped with a bunch] ... but i mean, REALLY, IS IT THAT UNCOMMON?

It just kind of got to me.
I mean. Artistic integrity?
People should try seeking it out sometime.
:(
If I was to smile and I held out my hand
If I opened it now would you not understand?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    NewJPageNewJPage Posts: 3,300
    well, the guy obviously has "different" taste in music than myself, or yourself. and he sounds like a dumbass. but as for the covering bit, my problem with the cover of Black is that it is such a shitty band doing it. covering songs is a way to pay respect to the band and that bands music. while i can understand your point, PJ has covered a shit-ton of songs, and i would hope that fans of those bands dont rip shit on Pj for doing it...

even though staind deserves all the crap they do get, cause they fucking suck.
    6/26/98, 8/17/00, 10/8/00, 12/8/02, 12/9/02, 4/25/03, 5/28/03, 6/1/03, 6/3/03, 6/5/03, 6/6/03, 6/12/03, 6/13/03, 6/15/03, 6/18/03, 6/21/03, 6/22/03, 7/12/03, 7/14/03, 10/3/04, 10/5/04, 9/9/05, 9/11/05, 9/16/05, 5/16/06, 5/17/06, 5/19/06, 6/30/06, 7/23/06, 8/5/07, 6/30/08, 8/23/09, 8/24/09, 5/4/10, 5/7/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/11/13, 10/17/14, 8/20/16
  • Options
    I thought bands like Stand and Godsmack wrote all their own songs. You guys sure that they don't?
    Well, do you need a lot of what you've got to survive?
  • Options
    I thought bands like Stand and Godsmack wrote all their own songs. You guys sure that they don't?

NO.
    I'm just saying this guy laughed in my face, because i said PJ write all their own songs.

I thought it was pretty common too.
    But i dunno.

I tend to agree on the Staind being "shitty" from the above post, but
    a. i was trying to be diplomatic here
    b. i know some people on this board think they are good, so who am i?

c. as far as my point about not covering black because of the song itself, i think we can mesh that with your comment about paying respect to a band ... i'm not sure i really can think of a cover pearl jam has done that really ties so deeply to a PERSONAL relationship and loss like Black does to Eddie & PJ, but if they have, i'm also going to step out and make the assumption that Ed and the Boys are probably cordial with that band or artist ... in fact, i think most bands PJ has covered, Eddie personaly knows the members, and has a mutual affinity with them ... so i see that as much different. If you're covering Dylan, Young, Petty, Townshend etc ... and you have personally hung out with, know, and are friends with those guys, its a bit different. IMHO.

PLUS, none of those covers MADE pearl jam. IMHO, staind got a HUGE boost in their career by covering Black. That song was on the radio a LOT in DC at least ... and i just think its shitty. That is someone else's life story, basicaly, and you just robbed it and used it for your career. Whether you were aware of that or not. I dunno.
    ?
  • Options
    NO.
    I'm just saying this guy laughed in my face, because i said PJ write all their own songs.

But i dunno.

c. as far as my point about not covering black because of the song itself, i think we can mesh that with your comment about paying respect to a band ... i'm not sure i really can think of a cover pearl jam has done that really ties so deeply to a PERSONAL relationship and loss like Black does to Eddie & PJ, but if they have, i'm also going to step out and make the assumption that Ed and the Boys are probably cordial with that band or artist ... in fact, i think most bands PJ has covered, Eddie personaly knows the members, and has a mutual affinity with them ... so i see that as much different. If you're covering Dylan, Young, Petty, Townshend etc ... and you have personally hung out with, know, and are friends with those guys, its a bit different. IMHO.

?

I defeinitely see where you're coming from about the Blac cover thing. You're right that it has something to do with respect when it comes to covering an artist. Simply put, if you cover a song and be respectful about it, you should want to make sure that what you come up with is something that the original artist would approve of. Just doing a cover because of can do so from a legal standpoint and butchering a song is disrespecting the artist.

But on the other hand, I personally find it easier not to be so serious about music and try to amend people's views. I can get really excited when I like a song but I choose not to argue with people when they like different stuff or have uninformed views about artists. Giving some info is fine, but if they are set in their views in a stubborn manner, I don't feel like I should try and alter their worldview. Live and let live in that regard. Just my 2 cents...
  • Options
    NewJPageNewJPage Posts: 3,300
    NO.

But i dunno.

PLUS, none of those covers MADE pearl jam. IMHO, staind got a HUGE boost in their career by covering Black. That song was on the radio a LOT in DC at least ... and i just think its shitty. That is someone else's life story, basicaly, and you just robbed it and used it for your career. Whether you were aware of that or not. I dunno.
    ?

oh no, i totally get what you are saying about Black. i, personally, would not cover that song.

but i also know that PJ was covering RITFW and BABA before they met neil young or pete. its not a matter of getting "permission," per se, but PJ covering those songs endeared them to neil and pete. a personal song like Black may not have, but who's to say? they've covered so many fucking songs over the years...what the hell do i know about james taylor's personal relationship or feeling towards Millworker, and how does he feel about eddie covering it? my guess is that he is probably totally cool with it, but dont know for sure. how about dead kennedy's? they may think PJ are sellout bitches, and be pissed at PJ covering them. i bet a bunch of their fans are thinking that way...

bottom line, i'm not disagreeing with you. i think this, overall, just says more about staind, how much they suck, and how they choose the wrong songs to cover.
    6/26/98, 8/17/00, 10/8/00, 12/8/02, 12/9/02, 4/25/03, 5/28/03, 6/1/03, 6/3/03, 6/5/03, 6/6/03, 6/12/03, 6/13/03, 6/15/03, 6/18/03, 6/21/03, 6/22/03, 7/12/03, 7/14/03, 10/3/04, 10/5/04, 9/9/05, 9/11/05, 9/16/05, 5/16/06, 5/17/06, 5/19/06, 6/30/06, 7/23/06, 8/5/07, 6/30/08, 8/23/09, 8/24/09, 5/4/10, 5/7/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/11/13, 10/17/14, 8/20/16
  • Options
    j3trowkillj3trowkill Posts: 103
    bands supposed to write ALL of their songs...

shit I'm in a band... and we never.. I mean NEVER wanted to play cover songs... and what's up with that question, "They write most there own songs?"
    that was not even a question, it's a fuckin insult!
    Of course you write your own songs dumbass!!! why call yourself an artist??

hehehhe!
    "I had a false belief
    I thought I came here to stay
    We're all just visiting
    All just breaking like waves.."

07/09/06
    07/10/06
    07/15/06
  • Options
    NO.

But i dunno.

?

just for arguments sake...the peak of pearl jam on the billboard 100 chart was a cover...last kiss at #2 (and yea, i know that wws got to number 1 on the rock charts, but noone really seems to pay attention to that in the mainstream media)
    and yes i am aware that this song did not make pj, it was just interesting to notice (and also one thing that bothers me about casual pj fans, whenever they say they listen to pj, almost the first thing out of their mouth is "i LOVVVVE last kiss" while i know deep down its not really their song....)
  • Options
    just for arguments sake...the peak of pearl jam on the billboard 100 chart was a cover...last kiss at #2 (and yea, i know that wws got to number 1 on the rock charts, but noone really seems to pay attention to that in the mainstream media)
    and yes i am aware that this song did not make pj, it was just interesting to notice (and also one thing that bothers me about casual pj fans, whenever they say they listen to pj, almost the first thing out of their mouth is "i LOVVVVE last kiss" while i know deep down its not really their song....)

2 things wrong with that.

1. it was a christmas single given away for free.

2. it was released commercialy with all proceeds going to CHARITY. Correct me if i am wrong. Wasn't it some Kosovo relief fund? I really can't remember. Its was Last Kiss, for fucks sake. :cool:

Otherwise, i hear you.
    I guess you're saying, Pearl Jam does covers too.
    And they have an equal, arguably bigger case of getting mainstream airplay with it. But, it was originaly intended for fans only, unless they secretly sent them to radio stations with the intention to get airplay (wouldn't say it was not a possibility), and when they realized the masses wanted it, they put it up for charity.

Back to NewJPage, you're right, they played Baba and RITF long before they met Neil or Pete, but neither of those songs are highly introspective emotional ballads. They are, for lack of a better term, "anthem", which is why my original position was, "just not BLACK".

Please not that argument goes back to like 94-95. I had always thought that. "Black" is just one of those songs. I dunno. Just my opinion. Clearly it didn't stop Aaron Lewis.

;)
  • Options
    pjsycopjsyco Wilmington, NC Posts: 642
    WOW!! You've really made this guy out to be "Goober" because he hunts, dips and has a drawl. Not trying to be an asshole, but I dip and have a drawl. I also have my Master's in International Business from one of the top IMBA schools in the country. Just because we're from the south doesn't mean we're all in-breds.

Uh.
    Is it THAT uncommon for bands to write ALL their own songs?

I was just talking to my coworker, after he asked me, "You going to Tennessee?"

He means well, i've been tryin to buff him up on some learnin and what not. I'm in Georgia, and he's got the drawl and chews dip, and goes hunting and all that stuff ... but he's a nice kid.

Anyhow, we were talking this and that, and music too, and he was listening to his ipod and i had said Metallica was playing Bonaroo and i was generally disinterested in seeing them. He put "enter sandman" on his ipod, then the next song that came on, he was like "Hey what's this song?"

I listened to it, and instantly "recognized" it as one of those shit (in my opinion) 5th-tier wanna-be hard-rock seattle inspired type tunes ... it was just the intro riffage ... i said, oh yeah ... "I'm doin the best i ever i did, i'm doin the best i ever had" ... or whatever.

He says, "yeah".

I said, "Man i dunno. I don't even listen to that kind've music. I think it's like POD, or Godsmack, or one of those type bands."

He says, "Yeah, Godsmack, that's it!"

I say, "Yeah ... i guess. I always just got irritated cause i thought they were a cheap and seedy Alice In Chains."

"I never liked bands like that man, there were a bunch of 'em that i never paid attention to."

[keep in mind this kid has all kinds of late 90s rock on his ipod, Nickleback included]

He says, "You like Staind?"

I say, "Man, not really. It's just not my thing. I also kinda got mad cause they covered 'Black' by Pearl Jam."

[not because no one can cover PJ, i just have always maintained, long before this cover originated, that if there was ONE song in PJs cataloge that should never be covered, but probably would be anyhow, it was Black. Because it was a highly personal song that is just "emotional larceny" to cover, imho.]

So i try to explain that to him, and he says,
    "Heh. So no one is allowed to cover Pearl Jam?"

And i said, "No man, ah. Nevermind. I just don't think they should have done that song."

He said, "Why?"

I explained that it was highly personal, and it seemed like a "special" song, and it just didn't seem right for someone to cover it and make a buck, or gain popularity on the back of it.

He said, "Oh, so Pearl Jam write most of their own songs?"

I said, "No man. They write all of their own songs."

[to this point he was actualy just asking, and not being condescending at all]

but then he chuckles, and i mean like a bit of a snear too ...
    and says, "Yeah right, your full of shit!" ... all while giggling.

IS IT THAT UNCOMMON FOR BANDS TO WRITE THEIR OWN MATERIAL IN FULL?

I mean, seriously? This was like standard for most "grunge" era bands, they never had covers on their albums, and they never had credits to other people [like the Grateful Dead all go to Robert Hunter or whatever, and Axl Rose had that friend that helped with a bunch] ... but i mean, REALLY, IS IT THAT UNCOMMON?

It just kind of got to me.
    I mean. Artistic integrity?
    People should try seeking it out sometime.
    :(
  • Options
    pjsyco wrote:
    Just because we're from the south doesn't mean we're all in-breds.

That is a hilarious statement :D

(I'm not being sarcastic, I like dry humor sometimes)
  • Options
    That is a hilarious statement :D

(I'm not being sarcastic, I like dry humor sometimes)
    Thanks for the compliment.....we might be a "little more prone to be in-bred", I guess.
  • Options
    pjsyco wrote:
    Thanks for the compliment.....we might be a "little more prone to be in-bred", I guess.

When I read it, I thought it had bumper sticker potential ;)
  • Options
    When I read it, I thought it had bumper sticker potential ;)
    hey, that's not a bad idea! Do I have your blessing?
  • Options
    PJ writes their own songs?? i thought those guys that wrote Avrils stuff wrote it for them
    {if (work != 0) {
    work = work + 1;
    sleep = sleep - work * 10;}
    else if (work >= 0) {
    reality.equals(false);
    work = work +1;
    }system("pause");
    return 0;}
  • Options
    pjsyco wrote:
    hey, that's not a bad idea! Do I have your blessing?

Why would you need that? Don't you guys have that freedom of speech provision in your constitution? ;)

And aside from that, if karma driving over dogma is on bumper stickers, then anything goes... :D
  • Options
    pjsyco wrote:
    WOW!! You've really made this guy out to be "Goober" because he hunts, dips and has a drawl. Not trying to be an asshole, but I dip and have a drawl. I also have my Master's in International Business from one of the top IMBA schools in the country. Just because we're from the south doesn't mean we're all in-breds.

Thank you for illustrating the point i just raised over in AMT.

Namely, we all have engrained cultural prejudices, and unintentionaly attempt to differentiate "other" peoples, and in doing so draw glaringly oversimplfied generalizations about race, culture, gender, religion, etc.

Apologies for any offense i may have made.

It wasn't done to paint him as a "goober", i actually said he was a nice guy and he tries. He is no IMBA like yourself, but he is attending the local college, and hes a smart kid, i guess. I was merely attempting to say he was not a "hipster" or what have you. I guess i failed at that. Trying to paint him as your average simple joe who likes what he hears, but doesn't go seeking out vast caches of music, i guess. Not sure what the gun and the dip had to do with that, per se... but i wasn't aiming to paint him the braindead redneck, if that is how you took it. Looking back, i guess i just was trying to get on with the story, and skipped the character description a bit, left it to a 2 sentence generalization. :(
  • Options
    shows how much you all know...

Pearl Jam's next 2 studio albums have already been written thanks to the Matrix, Desmond Child and Linda Perry.