Options

If you're bored and want to annoy an Ebay flipper...

drsluggodrsluggo Posts: 4,742
edited April 2008 in The Porch
This guy's listings all have Best Offer capabilities, and I put some low offers (like $65 and then I think I did like $20 just to be a jerk) on some of his Hawaii Klausen poster with comments like "I'll pay you what you paid plus a few bucks for your time."

Anyway, i got some priceless replies back... he has since banned me from best offers to him, but if anyone wants to send him some awful offers and post the responses its a fun few minutes. :)

http://stores.ebay.com/REARVIEWMIRROR-COLLECTABLES

Go to town......
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    jesus that guy has a lot of stuff!
    Recording Artist Coalition 2002, Irvine 6/2/03, Irvine 6/3/03, San Diego 6/5/03, San Diego 7/7/06, LA 7/9/06, LA 7/10/06, LA 9/30/09, LA 10/01/09, LA 10/6/09, LA 10/7/09, San Diego 10/9/09, San Diego 11/21/13, LA 11/23/13, LA 11/24/13, Seattle 12/6/13
  • Options
    mindimindi Posts: 1,858
    drsluggo wrote:
    This guy's listings all have Best Offer capabilities, and I put some low offers (like $65 and then I think I did like $20 just to be a jerk) on some of his Hawaii Klausen poster with comments like "I'll pay you what you paid plus a few bucks for your time."

Anyway, i got some priceless replies back... he has since banned me from best offers to him, but if anyone wants to send him some awful offers and post the responses its a fun few minutes. :)

Go to town......
    Sooo what did he reply to you????? :D
    To 10c; "Your PJ tshirt should be tight enough to show you're a woman and loose enough to show you're a lady." - bionicamy
  • Options
    nfanelnfanel Posts: 2,558
    jesus that guy has a lot of stuff!
    a lot of signed guitars that all look alike? :confused: hmmm....
  • Options
    PegasusPegasus Posts: 3,754
    drsluggo wrote:

Go to town......
    anything to annoy a flipper :D .. I'm on to it ;)
  • Options
    nfanel wrote:
    if I was an artist, I wouldn't sign anything. certainly not anything so obviously meant to be flipped!
  • Options
    quarterpastquarterpast Posts: 185
    Pegasus wrote:
    if I was an artist, I wouldn't sign anything. certainly not anything so obviously meant to be flipped!
    If artists sign nothing, they won't be able to connect with real fans quite as well. It's a hard thing, choosing who to sign autographs for and who not to. I've worked very closely with big name artists and sometimes kids run up with 10 pick guards they want signed. When they weren't signed one of the kids shouted "Hey man, do you want me to sell drugs or your autograph on ebay?" It hit us kind of hard after we left, the fact that that will actually be true for some of the street kids who hang at hotels and whatnot, looking for stars. But then, when you get a true fan...seeing the look on their face when they get a handshake and autograph, it's priceless.

btw - this doesn't mean I condone flipping. I don't like it any more than you do.
    rock bands may come and rock bands may go...
    but rock n roll will live forever! - ray davies
  • Options
    If artists sign nothing, they won't be able to connect with real fans quite as well. It's a hard thing, choosing who to sign autographs for and who not to. I've worked very closely with big name artists and sometimes kids run up with 10 pick guards they want signed. When they weren't signed one of the kids shouted "Hey man, do you want me to sell drugs or your autograph on ebay?" It hit us kind of hard after we left, the fact that that will actually be true for some of the street kids who hang at hotels and whatnot, looking for stars. But then, when you get a true fan...seeing the look on their face when they get a handshake and autograph, it's priceless.

btw - this doesn't mean I condone flipping. I don't like it any more than you do.
    a true fan should care a hell of a lot more about the handshake than the autograph...I've learned that over 15 years ago: hell of a lot better to shake someone hand, look them in the eyes and say thanks than shove a piece of whatever under their nose to be signed (that if you're not flipping will just end up in a drawer) and never make eye contact! better memories for both parties!
    the only exception would be kids, they don't know yet..
  • Options
    JP2026766JP2026766 Posts: 1,125
    Pegasus wrote:
    a true fan should care a hell of a lot more about the handshake than the autograph...I've learned that over 15 years ago: hell of a lot better to shake someone hand, look them in the eyes and say thanks than shove a piece of whatever under their nose to be signed (that if you're not flipping will just end up in a drawer) and never make eye contact! better memories for both parties!

I'd say that's a valid assessment of the situation. If I ever met any of the guys, I don't think I'd ask for an autograph. I'd probably just say thanks for everything they do, what they mean to me, maybe a picture but that's it. That's if I ever actually got lucky enough to run into one of em ;)

Mansfield II '08

EV Solo Shows:

NYC I
    NJPAC

I. LOVE. YIELD.
  • Options
    Kilgore_TroutKilgore_Trout Posts: 7,334
    Pegasus wrote:
    my cousin met all the boys at a baseball game and had them sign a baseball for him... i think its a nice momento of where he met them and its displayed proudly in his apt... something as obscure as that is definitely cool and as an artist im sure they knew he wanted it for himself...

i agree tho that the actual meeting is whats important... never understood people that would pay for an autograph from a store without the actual interaction... to each his own tho
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/
  • Options
    gozzo5058gozzo5058 Posts: 611
    nfanel wrote:

this typically means just the fellow had a wad of pick-guards signed then applied to the guitars, just like sports memorabilia dealers do, just have the numbers signed then adhered to the jersey.
    s

Montreal/98, Toronto/00'03'05'06x2, Brad Toronto/02, Buffalo/03, Kitchener/05, London/05, Hamilton/05, Late Show Taping/06, Cleveland/06, Pittsburgh/06, Bridge School Benefit Concert/06, Hartford/08, Mansfield 1/08, EV Montreal/08x2, EV Toronto/08x2...
  • Options
    LukinFanLukinFan Florida Posts: 29,011
    Pegasus wrote:
    anything to annoy a flipper :D .. I'm on to it ;)
    I just did the same :)
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • Options
    You can see the pickguards stacked on the guitar with another underneath in a few of the photos. At least all of the signatures are real. I have a Slash and a Cornell. Zakk and Kerry King look legit.
    Let's see those 2013 dates in the southern states.
  • Options
    LukinFanLukinFan Florida Posts: 29,011
    You can see the pickguards stacked on the guitar with another underneath in a few of the photos. At least all of the signatures are real. I have a Slash and a Cornell. Zakk and Kerry King look legit.
    Where/How did you meet slash and CC?
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • Options
    decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,976
    it's called supply and demand folks. i will NEVEr understnad how some pewople here take such *issue* with people selling shite on ebay. if people weren't willing to buy, there would be no sellers. it is what is is. bottomline, i am THANKFUL for ebay. MOST of my BEST deals for pj posters - sans one - have happened on EBAY, not expresso beans.
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• Options
    quasiquasi Posts: 492
    Just offered $4.00 for Eddie's West Seattle poster.
    SEA 9/20/92, SEA 12/7/93, SEA 12/31/94 (MS), SEA 11/5/00, SEA 11/6/00, SEA 12/8/02, SEA 12/9/02, BEN 10/22/03, GOR 9/1/05, SD 7/7/06, LA 7/10/06, LA 7/12/06, LA (EV) 4/12/08, LA (EV) 4/13/08, LA 7/12/08, LA 9/30/09, LA 10/7/09, SEA 12/6/13, SEA 8/8/18
  • Options
    Motown322Motown322 Posts: 465
    it's called supply and demand folks. i will NEVEr understnad how some pewople here take such *issue* with people selling shite on ebay. if people weren't willing to buy, there would be no sellers. it is what is is.

I think it's because there's a bunch of people around here who feel like they're "owed" something... you see it all the time with the threads bitching about the 10C and seats and whatnot. The holier-than-thou shit gets a little annoying after a while. How much time and effort and energy are you spending worrying about what some fuckin' dude is doing on ebay? :confused:

decides2dream is exactly right... if there weren't people willing to pay the price asked, there's no market
  • Options
    Motown322 wrote:
    I think it's because there's a bunch of people around here who feel like they're "owed" something... you see it all the time with the threads bitching about the 10C and seats and whatnot. The holier-than-thou shit gets a little annoying after a while. How much time and effort and energy are you spending worrying about what some fuckin' dude is doing on ebay? :confused:

decides2dream is exactly right... if there weren't people willing to pay the price asked, there's no market

RIGHT ON MAN!!! YOU ARE SO RIGHT.

If you have time to mess with this guys Ebay account then you have way to much time on your hands!!! do something productive with your time!!! Besides this person has some cool shit and I might buy one of his posters. What you just did backfired on you.....instead of negative publicity that you wanted him to get he is now getting positive publicity.

I JUST BOUGHT A POSTER THAT I DO NOT HAVE. THANKS FOR THE POST (drsluggo). PEACE!!
  • Options
    slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,758
    I don't think eBay is the devil or anything ... but it is kind of frustrating when you can't buy something you want because it's sold out ... only to find out that some other douche bought the same thing just to sell it.

This is especially frustrating when people game the system to acquire such items ... scalpers snapping up all the EV tickets in 30 seconds and what not. That sucks for true fans.
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • Options
    Motown322Motown322 Posts: 465
    I don't think eBay is the devil or anything ... but it is kind of frustrating when you can't buy something you want because it's sold out ... only to find out that some other douche bought the same thing just to sell it.

This is especially frustrating when people game the system to acquire such items ... scalpers snapping up all the EV tickets in 30 seconds and what not. That sucks for true fans.

Don't the true fans have access to the presales for the EV shows, though? So the opportunities are there. Scalpers and brokers exist for everything... it's the byproduct of capitalism. Market demand dictates price...

The ebay stuff doesn't bother me at all... if someone wants to spend the money to get something they REALLY want, why does that matter? Plus, all the time that dude spends monitoring his auctions and packaging shit up and going to the post office and having to deal with fuckin' PayPal and cashing money orders at the bank... screw that. Not for me.
  • Options
    ottonypottonyp Posts: 226
    To each his own. I made $4.00 offers too! LOL
  • Options
    elninoelnino Posts: 28
    This autographed copy of VS the guy is selling is obviously fake. Anyway to let 10c know to shut them down?
  • Options
    decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,976

and that holds true for EVERYTHING.
    it's not JUST about pearl jam items, that just seems to be the issue on this board. ANYthing that may hold some *value*...is bought/sold. just take a look at the visual art world, for example. it is simple economics. so i find it amusing at best, the countless threads that cry about this shite, over and over here. face it, life is NOT *fair*...nor was it ever designed to be. yes, we should all strive for higher goals, but bottomline.....there are far more important things in this world than how much a pj poster goes for on ebay. and, btw.......how does ANYone know for certain, this seller, didn't buy it for themselves, and then realize in time...it's not 'worth' it to them anymore, that really...they could use the money? i have seen posts STICKIED here...hawking pj goods for aftermarket sale, b/c the seller fell unto hard times, and realized...they need the $$$ nore than the *things*....and really, love of the band, the music...we don't NEED these 'things'......so yea.....let's not be so quick to dismiss ALL sellers. hell, i've paid a tidy sum for some of my posters....and if i ever choose to resell em, that would be my right and choice. even if i paid the $25 bucks at show, if down the road i realize i don't have the space, desire, whatever for em anymore...who SHOULD'NT i sell them for a profit? the price is only what the market will bear.

perspective people. :)
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• Options
    Motown322 wrote:
    Don't the true fans have access to the presales for the EV shows, though? .

allegedly. Did I get tickets? Nope. Did I try? Only all damn afternoon.

The Ticketmaster tickets literally sold out in less than a minute, because scalpers have ways around the Ticketmaster programs designed to thwart them. And TM really doesn't give a shit, so long as they sell the tickets to someone.

Listen, I know scalpers are always going to exist. It just sucks is all.
  • Options
    it's not JUST about pearl jam items, that just seems to be the issue on this board. ANYthing that may hold some *value*...is bought/sold. just take a look at the visual art world, for example. it is simple economics. so i find it amusing at best, the countless threads that cry about this shite, over and over here. face it, life is NOT *fair*...nor was it ever designed to be. yes, we should all strive for higher goals, but bottomline.....there are far more important things in this world than how much a pj poster goes for on ebay. and, btw.......how does ANYone know for certain, this seller, didn't buy it for themselves, and then realize in time...it's not 'worth' it to them anymore, that really...they could use the money? i have seen posts STICKIED here...hawking pj goods for aftermarket sale, b/c the seller fell unto hard times, and realized...they need the $$$ nore than the *things*....and really, love of the band, the music...we don't NEED these 'things'......so yea.....let's not be so quick to dismiss ALL sellers. hell, i've paid a tidy sum for some of my posters....and if i ever choose to resell em, that would be my right and choice. even if i paid the $25 bucks at show, if down the road i realize i don't have the space, desire, whatever for em anymore...who SHOULD'NT i sell them for a profit? the price is only what the market will bear.

Look, I know all of this. Believe me. I'm not one of these commies bitching about people making a buck.

I am complaining about these scalping companies who use computer software to get around Ticketmaster controls and then buy up all the tickets before the fans can even get through.

It happened with the Ed shows. I guarantee.

It's one thing if you obtain an item fair and square. Do with it what you want. But when you cheat the system, I have a problem with that. And something should be done about it. But nothing will.
  • Options
    tremorvoidtremorvoid Posts: 528

amen sister!!! people can do whatever they like with their "things". no i dont promote scalping but i too have gotten some great things off of ebay...and they were worth whatever i spent since those things have special meaning to me. AND if i was in need of money bad enough...i would sell my material things...for what they are worth on the market...not what i paid for them at the show. because really...unless you personally know someone and trust that they are not going to take advantage of you selling your 20 buck poster out of kindness....you could find your 20 buck poster being sold on ebay for 200 bucks the next day...and then think...that mofo....i couldve made that money. so really people...get some perspective and realize that life is NOT fair...the sooner you realize that....the better off you will be.
    Seems that needlessly it's getting harder
    To find an approach and a way to live
    Are we getting something out of this
    all-encompassing trip?
  • Options
    I met Slash after a Velvet Revolver show a few years ago, Matt too. Met Chris Cornell at a meet and greet in Vegas last year after the first show of his tour. Really nice guy, tall too like 6,3.
    Let's see those 2013 dates in the southern states.
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,253
    A Peter Tork signed guitar...I'm so on that.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    nfanelnfanel Posts: 2,558
    Poncier wrote:
    A Peter Tork signed guitar...I'm so on that.
    hey, hey we're the monkees...
  • Options
    keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    Pegasus wrote:

I agree.
    I met one of my favourite guitarists in the world (Davy Knowles - Back Door Slam) and I BOUGHT a signed poster at the venue. Instead of shoving stuff in his face, I got to jam with him! Best musical memory of my life! I did get a picture with them, and they didn't seem to mind. I just had a good time chillin with the band.

When I met Pascale Picard I did the same thing. No autographs, just talking.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • Options
    SpacetoadSpacetoad Posts: 78
    Has this guy got Mick Jones tied up in his basement signing guitars all day?
    Thought he had been quiet lately...:D
    "oh when I was a kid, oh how magic it seemed"

Manchester, England (June 04, 2000) £27.50
    Leeds, England (August 25, 2006) £40
    Manchester, England (August 17, 2009) £50 - I think
    Manchester, UK (June 20, 2012) £50 - I think
    American Express presents BST Hyde Park (July 08, 2022) £80
    Manchester, June 2024 - TBC £160!!!

"Don't sweat the petty things, don't pet the sweaty things"