Options

Backspacer - freedom or burden?

burtschipsburtschips Posts: 734
edited June 2010 in The Porch
'we've tried to subvert the business, but now that we're putting out a record on our own, we're taking on the responsibility of sinking or swimming ourselves. If that means writing a song that sounds like a mainstream radio hit, we're going to do that. And if it means going on TV to promote ourselves, we're going to to do that, too.'

this quote from Mike and some of the other quotes on the writing process of the album, i.e. quick and sharp makes me think that it is what it is mostly due to necessity.

The freedom of being label free is countered by the constraints (maybe some fear) and reality of needing an easy album with a broad appeal and free flowing light bite of a collection of soongs. They are kind of testing the water again in a new environment but need to pay the bills.

I think that once they get over this the music will challenge again, and it will become art again.

Don't get me wrong, I like the album, it is free and easy but it does not have the beautiful deep quality of Binaural or the urgency of Vitalogy. Does anyone else think this?
Salut baloo
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    CJMST3KCJMST3K Posts: 9,722
    ADD 5,200 to the post count you see, thank you. :)
    *NYC 9/28/96 *NYC 9/29/96 *NJ 9/8/98 (front row "may i play drums with you")
    *MSG 9/10/98 (backstage) *MSG 9/11/98 (backstage)
    *Jones Beach 8/23/00 *Jones Beach 8/24/00 *Jones Beach 8/25/00
    *Mansfield 8/29/00 *Mansfield 8/30/00 *Nassau 4/30/03 *Nissan VA 7/1/03
    *Borgata 10/1/05 *Camden 5/27/06 *Camden 5/28/06 *DC 5/30/06
    *VA Beach 6/17/08 *DC 6/22/08 *MSG 6/24/08 (backstage) *MSG 6/25/08
    *EV DC 8/17/08 *EV Baltimore 6/15/09 *Philly 10/31/09
    *Bristow VA 5/13/10 *MSG 5/20/10 *MSG 5/21/10
  • Options
    marcosmarcos Posts: 2,111
    That quote worried me as well. I feared they may be going down the metallica route in getting older and releasing a black album. But I think the art is still there with Backspacer. It is probably more accessible than Binaural or Vitology. But Avacado and Yield were pretty accessible as well. The only difference is that they're doing interviews more for this record. There's really no good radio stations anymore that they have to worry about getting the record played. I think of the quote as more of a hypothetical and just a willingness to be more cooperative. The art is still there.
  • Options
    CJMST3K wrote:

yeah, interesting, but i am not bothered by Mike's spin quote or concerned by it.

I am interested in why the music is as it is, which was touched on in that thread but most people were discussing the album's promotion.

In the case of Backspacer I think the music is just a little safe, i think once they feel secure in their new enterprise it will become multi-layered again.
    Salut baloo
  • Options
    FlaggFlagg Posts: 5,856
    Not really, I think they are doing what they want to do, that's all. Ed said they have made their experimental and excessive records and probably will again. For now, they are just having fun with it. I think Backspacer reflects that and I do think it is art. I think it is the best art they have released since Yield.
    DAL-7/5/98,10/17/00,6/9/03,11/15/13
    BOS-9/28/04,9/29/04,6/28/08,6/30/08, 9/5/16, 9/7/16, 9/2/18
    MTL-9/15/05, OTT-9/16/05
    PHL-5/27/06,5/28/06,10/30/09,10/31/09
    CHI-8/2/07,8/5/07,8/23/09,8/24/09
    HTFD-6/27/08
    ATX-10/4/09, 10/12/14
    KC-5/3/2010,STL-5/4/2010
    Bridge School-10/23/2010,10/24/2010
    PJ20-9/3/2011,9/4/2011
    OKC-11/16/13
    SEA-12/6/13
    TUL-10/8/14
  • Options
    if anything, Backspacer makes me very curious about their next album. on the one hand, i love the more laid back attitude and songs with varied themes and zero politics, on the other the next album could be more adult contemporary Journey sounding crap (*cough*ATW*cough*).

i love that they were just having fun with this one and ST, but now i think its time to get serious about the music again.

i'm both excited and cautious about the next one. i think Backspacer needed to happen, but i wonder what direction the go in next.
  • Options
    Backspacer is a great record.

Period.
  • Options
    I agree they are doing what they want to do, they know what they are doing. I don't think it is just a case of them having fun though, i think it is much more specific to the situation, but guess I already said that. I also agree that ST and Backspacer are similar... I think if they do a third along those lines I'd be getting bored (which is quite a shock to me), so I hope they go back to the spirit and beauty of their music again.
    Salut baloo
  • Options
    Ed's songs Just Breathe and The End are certainly a step in a new direction. Except for "In the Wild," nothing in the PJ catalog is like these two songs. One could argue that the overall feel of the album is safe, or concise. Sometimes I believe that is a good thing. Personally Binaural is my favorite, but I also wouldn't want the band to always be trying to create something similar. CHEERS TO THE DIVERSITY OF THEIR MUSIC!
  • Options
    Ed's songs Just Breathe and The End are certainly a step in a new direction. Except for "In the Wild," nothing in the PJ catalog is like these two songs. One could argue that the overall feel of the album is safe, or concise. Sometimes I believe that is a good thing. Personally Binaural is my favorite, but I also wouldn't want the band to always be trying to create something similar. CHEERS TO THE DIVERSITY OF THEIR MUSIC!
    I'm with you on that. backspacer and binaural are my two favorites. distinctly different albums but both very good in their own way. while it is concise, I think the songs are constructed very well and I love the acoustic numbers that are reminiscent of the "Into the wild" work. that does set this album apart from the others.
    "An investment in knowledge pays the best interest."

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."

- Ben Franklin
  • Options
    arqarq Posts: 7,940
    When you do things your way there's always a price to pay, PJ wanted independency, well backspacer is the product of that, and a lot of times being free doesn't mean that things are done exactly how you want them, you have to compromise, but if you're good (like our boys!) you will find a balance.

Great job boys backspacer is awesome!
    "The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it"
    Neil deGrasse Tyson

Why not (V) (°,,,,°) (V) ?
  • Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,146
    burtschips wrote:
    'The freedom of being label free is countered by the constraints (maybe some fear) and reality of needing an easy album with a broad appeal and free flowing light bite of a collection of soongs. They are kind of testing the water again in a new environment but need to pay the bills.

i don't think there is a correlation between the way the album was marked/distributed and the album itself...being without a label now, they needed to find new avenues to distribute the album...the way the album was produced and recorded had a lot to do with brenden o'brien...if i remember correctly, mike or ed said that brenden didn't let the band take too long in the studio recording the album...and ed's experience writing and recording itw was also an influence in the recording of backspacer
  • Options
    norm wrote:
    burtschips wrote:
    'The freedom of being label free is countered by the constraints (maybe some fear) and reality of needing an easy album with a broad appeal and free flowing light bite of a collection of soongs. They are kind of testing the water again in a new environment but need to pay the bills.

i don't think there is a correlation between the way the album was marked/distributed and the album itself...being without a label now, they needed to find new avenues to distribute the album...the way the album was produced and recorded had a lot to do with brenden o'brien...if i remember correctly, mike or ed said that brenden didn't let the band take too long in the studio recording the album...and ed's experience writing and recording itw was also an influence in the recording of backspacer

maybe they have to be more economic with studio time when they are footing the bill ! ;)
    Anyway, slightly off topic but the artwork is amazing and good for Ed backing up his earlier post on cartoonists and their loss of print space / work.
    Salut baloo
  • Options
    LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    Their first three albums were "safe".. Yield was pretty poppy. Backspacer is just back to the norm for them.
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,413
    BS sure feels less artistic than previous efforts.
  • Options
    say_hisay_hi Posts: 311
    I'm not going to worry, PJ have been around for almost 20 years, they obviously know what they are doing.
    4/30/03, 7/5/03, 7/6/03, 7/8/03, 7/9/03, 7/11/03, 7/12/03, 7/14/03, 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 10/1/04, 9/30/05, 10/1/05, 10/3/05, 5/4/06 (Letterman Mini-Concert), 5/5/06, 5/27/06, 5/28/06, 6/1/06, 6/3/06, 6/19/08, 6/20/08, 6/24/08, 6/25/08, 6/27/08, 6/28/08, 6/30/08, 10/27/09, 10/28/09, 10/30/09, 10/31/09, 5/15/10, 5/18/10, 5/20/10, 5/21/10
  • Options
    12345AGNST112345AGNST1 Posts: 4,906
    When I read that quote from SPIN I actually loved that he said that. Bands arent the same as they used to be, they have to release their music in different ways now. There is no such thing as selling out now (unless you release an album with timbaland ;) )

If I were to see PJ on mtv promoting a song or hearing their song played during a show I wouldnt care at all. Theres nothing wrong with attracting younger fans. But then again I AM a young fan, (21) so of course I would accept that easier than alot of the older fans here.
    5/28/06, 6/27/08, 10/28/09, 5/18/10, 5/21/10
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
  • Options
    Kilgore_TroutKilgore_Trout Posts: 7,334
    wow... hadn't heard that quote til now...

explains a lot :(

I'm all for owning the rights to all your music, but there's plenty of marketing advantages to labels as well... just don't let the music suffers (as it has IMO)
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/
  • Options
    Kilgore_TroutKilgore_Trout Posts: 7,334
    norm wrote:
    if i remember correctly, mike or ed said that brenden didn't let the band take too long in the studio recording the album...and ed's experience writing and recording itw was also an influence in the recording of backspacer
    brenden = yield, no code = good

itw = good

they seemed to have the right equation... I'm with the OP in his assumption that something must be a bit off...
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/
  • Options
    geckogecko Posts: 1,712
    edited June 2010
    I am sure that Backspacer is conscious effort to influence their image - most critics reaction was positive, even if I couldn't believe how many critics were praising Backspacer and belittling Binaural for example. I think the band is percieved as dour and humorless, and burdened with too many bad imitators. This review express it better then I ever could:

By Andrzej Lukowski September 21st, 2009

If they've never exactly been fashionable, Pearl Jam have always been on better terms with the UK than received wisdom would have it. Though Ten’s naffer excesses were oft used as a stick with which to beat the band – generally to the flattery of Nirvana or the Britpop acts – the fact that exactly the same ‘throwback bores’ argument was trotted out in the face of the savage Vs and unhinged Vitalogy probably indicates that there was no real dislike for those records, more the actual idea of Pearl Jam.

Once Britpop had finally sloped off (though not before taking the almighty shit in the bathroom that was the Stereophonics) we were all good to go: 2000’s Binaural was accompanied by glowing reviews, the band’s first full UK arena tour, and such articles as this excellent, thoughtful interview with NME’s John Mulvey.

Okay, it didn't really last, for which the agonised Riot Act and the distraction of the (ahem) New Rock Revolution can most likely be blamed. But the fact is that general critical acceptance of the band has been on the cards for an age. Sniffing the upbeat press and general goodwill around Backspacer and it would appear it's finally happening for real.

Which is fine and all, but um, yeah... shame it’s not one of their best records. Out goes the seething emotion and hard-fought musical builds of yore. In comes the first set of straight down the line pop songs Eddie Vedder and co have ever written. Fortunately, they're not the shabby kind.

Backspacer commences with ‘Gonna See My Friend’s twangy rollick’n’roll, easily the giddiest opening track on any Pearl Jam record. While Vedder’s lyrics would seem to be a fairly gloomy channelling of a junkie’s lusts – “I'm gonna see my friend for what I require ... I'm sick of everything, I'm gonna see my friend, make it go away” - his borderline ecstatic delivery is such that one can’t help but interpret the actual sentiment as “yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee-haaaaaaaaw!” It's good, and the next three songs are frickin’ sublime. ‘Got Some’ cruises in on an ultra-tight new wave guitar figure, Vedder flipping his softened, almost adolescent voice through the catchiest vocal hook of his career – “every NIGHT with the light ON where you GONE? WHAT’s wrong?” The lyric would appear to be the flipside to ‘See My Friend’ – Vedder is the one dispensing the relief – but again, it doesn’t feel like there’s any darkness here, just a glorious burst of pop-rock, delightfully in love with its own momentum. ‘The Fixer’ offers a third track on the same theme; once more, the name suggests something untoward or seedy, but the music's life-crackling surge and lines as blessedly optimistic as “If there's no love, I wanna try to love again” says otherwise. ‘Johnny Guitar’ offers more deliriously flip rock pop, almost to the point of pastiche, Vedder casting himself as a lovelorn horndog who finds himself thwarted in his love of “the girl in red so innocent” by the eponymous lothario.

Indeed, stylistically and lyrically Backspacer would seem to consist of the songs Vedder might have written as a teenager had he been less monumentally fucked up at the time, with the band drawing heavily on the pop of both their youths and their parents’ before them – certainly ‘Last Kiss’ now seems way less anomalous.

You may miss the full-force guitars and the molten eruption of Vedder’s wounded soul, but we’ve had plenty of that before, and a lot of Backspacer is a lot of fun. A shame, then, that they’ve kind of messed up the quieter songs, which dominate the record's second half.

Pearl Jam’s gravitas – musically and lyrically – has enabled them to write some of the more affecting ballads and lullabies of recent times: ‘I Am Mine’, ‘Wishlist’, Nothingman’, ‘Better Man’, ‘Daughter’. Though Backspacer's only actively excruciating note is the beardy folk ramble of ‘Just Breathe’, the likes of ‘Unknown Thought’ and ‘Speed Of Sound’ feel sapped by the record's lightness; it's fairly self-evident that these tracks would have sounded better if recorded at literally any other time in Pearl Jam's history. The occasional presence of an orchestra is just bewildering: this is a band that reaches their emotional highs through blood, sweat and tears, not symphonic gimmicks.

Still, if Vedder's once inferno-like angst really has subsided, it's entirely to him and his band's credit that they've diverted their energies elsewhere. Backspacer is defined by its opening salvo of choons, a joyous fusillade that seems likely to finally finally finally put the band's rock dinosaur rep to bed. It’s the long-term implications that are more worrying: there are weak songs here, and they’re weak because they lack qualities Pearl Jam used to possess in rough hewn spades. Still, Backspacer is very much calculated to sound the way it sounds, and suggesting Pearl Jam have lost anything would be premature. Ultimately there’s no point fretting about the future when contemplating a record that’s so very much a celebration of the moment.

http://drownedinsound.com/releases/14660/reviews/4137916

I highlighted the parts that I liked, and added the link because I liked the comments, too.
    Post edited by gecko on
  • Options
    ZosoZoso Posts: 6,425
    I would prefer another binaural, vitalogy or riot act very arty albums. this is when I think they are at their best.. someone said vitalogy was safe? how is satan's bed, hey foxy mop or spin the black circle counted as safe?
    I'm just flying around the other side of the world to say I love you

Sha la la la i'm in love with a jersey girl

I love you forever and forever :)

Adel 03 Melb 1 03 LA 2 06 Santa Barbara 06 Gorge 1 06 Gorge 2 06 Adel 1 06 Adel 2 06 Camden 1 08 Camden 2 08 Washington DC 08 Hartford 08
  • Options
    brolocobroloco Posts: 1,237
    Zoso wrote:
    I would prefer another binaural, vitalogy or riot act very arty albums. this is when I think they are at their best.. someone said vitalogy was safe? how is satan's bed, hey foxy mop or spin the black circle counted as safe?

don't forget Bugs.
  • Options
    burtschips wrote:
    'we've tried to subvert the business, but now that we're putting out a record on our own, we're taking on the responsibility of sinking or swimming ourselves. If that means writing a song that sounds like a mainstream radio hit, we're going to do that. And if it means going on TV to promote ourselves, we're going to to do that, too.'

this quote from Mike and some of the other quotes on the writing process of the album, i.e. quick and sharp makes me think that it is what it is mostly due to necessity.

The freedom of being label free is countered by the constraints (maybe some fear) and reality of needing an easy album with a broad appeal and free flowing light bite of a collection of soongs. They are kind of testing the water again in a new environment but need to pay the bills.

I think that once they get over this the music will challenge again, and it will become art again.

Don't get me wrong, I like the album, it is free and easy but it does not have the beautiful deep quality of Binaural or the urgency of Vitalogy. Does anyone else think this?
    Yes..I concur
    New Zealand,95 Auckland 1 & 2, 98 Auckland & Wellington,
    Canada, Vancouver 2000
    Auckland & Christchurch 2009
    Melbourne 1&2 EV Solo 2011
  • Options
    LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    Zoso wrote:
    It was safe because it had Betterman, Corduroy, Immortality, Nothingman.. and some more straight forward rock songs, Spin the Black Circle, Satan's Bed.. While, yes, it did have some of their most experimental stuff, the rest of the album was very radio friendly. Half the songs still get radio play. Betterman still gets played on pop stations here along side Lady Gaga and so forth..
  • Options
    MoonTurtleMoonTurtle Posts: 750
    I haven't listened to the radio in abpout 10yrs

but, what does it matter that betterman is played along lady gaga? Isn't that what we want more pj out there? maybe others will learn what great music is.

umm what station would play gaga and pj? lol crazy mix

Zoso wrote:
    It was safe because it had Betterman, Corduroy, Immortality, Nothingman.. and some more straight forward rock songs, Spin the Black Circle, Satan's Bed.. While, yes, it did have some of their most experimental stuff, the rest of the album was very radio friendly. Half the songs still get radio play. Betterman still gets played on pop stations here along side Lady Gaga and so forth..
  • Options
    DangDangDangDang Posts: 1,551
    Backspacer IS "different" than their other albums probably on many different levels.

It lacks the rawness.

But the reasons for it being different may be in exact opposite to the reason the OP and others expressed.

Maybe it was on Backspacer where they did whatever they wanted without regard to what "whoever" thought about it or how it was received. Perhaps it was the other albums where they had the "Pearl Jam" image to live up to or keep alive.

In any event, "different" doesn't mean "bad" as all their albums are just..well.. YOU all know.

Backspacer just sparkles with "unthought known" and kills with "The End".

My first impression of the four opener songs was "How Bubblegumish", but listen after listen brings out that Pearl Jam grind. (As if :x and :mrgreen: were combined.)

My vote is "freedom"
  • Options
    fox_mulderXfox_mulderX Posts: 1,134
    Their first three albums were "safe".. Yield was pretty poppy. Backspacer is just back to the norm for them.

you can't call vitalogy a "safe" album. it sounds completely different than ten and vs... they sound like a completely different band. pearl jam had a lot of guts because they must have known it was going to alienate a large portion of their fan base when it was released.
    as a stand alone album, yes it is "safe" to a certain extent because it has songs with HUGE hooks (ie better man). as a pearl jam album, it was ballsy.
  • Options
    whygohomewhygohome Posts: 2,305

I simply have to disagree 100%. What the hell does "safe" mean anyway/ That some of the songs they wrote were amazing and therefore received airplay? Do you want a full album of "Revolution 9"?

Their is a tremendous vibe to these albums, and a tone that is unmatched in much of the music of the 90s and today.
    And, Yield is not pretty poppy. Some songs are, but the album is not.