Options

No PJ but: concert flameout article

geckogecko Posts: 1,712
edited June 2010 in The Porch
http://jam.canoe.ca/Music/2010/06/10/14337341.html

Usual stuff, ticket prices, dwindled attendance etc. Reminds me how big PJ really is.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    megatronmegatron Posts: 3,420
    (And let’s cut the crap: Anyone who resells tickets at inflated prices is a scalper. They can blather all they want about serving consumers; they’re still pond scum. And they will have a special place in hell — in line for eternity outside a Hendrix gig without enough money for a ticket.)

pretty funny. and true.

good read thanks.

and i like the photo id ideas. getting a wrist band makes sense. there will always be people trying to cheat the system but i bet it would help.

funny that i feel great about spending 90 bucks a ticket for pj. it's such a good deal with having to deal with all the scalpers.

i have a feeling nothing will change though
  • Options
    force-10force-10 Posts: 794
    Delete the presales? Really? It allowed me to buy tickets in Guatemala for PJ last year. In the past it would have been really risky to travel without having a ticket secured.

Your name on the ticket! Great idea. This would be a good way to prevent scalping. At least the ones ordered on presales.
    IN THE DARK, ALL CATS ARE BLACK.
  • Options
    Paul AndrewsPaul Andrews Posts: 2,489
    Most VIP packages include tickets down front, refreshments and a bag of swag, but zero contact. If that sounds lame, consider the widely circulated online tale of one fan who said he shelled out $1,100 for a VIP package, only to be “treated like s---” and laughed at by an apparent insider who told him the band makes its money from “dumb” fans like him.

hmmm this sounds like the KISS VIP package
  • Options
    FifthelementFifthelement Lotusland Posts: 6,929
    Great read, thanks for posting the link. Really worth posting the full article here ;):D

How to solve the concert flameout
    By DARRYL STERDAN, QMI Agency

Going to concerts used to be simple. You stood in line. You bought a ticket. You went to the show. You picked up a T-shirt, had a warm beer and a dusty hot dog. And you left with enough money in your wallet to do it again.

Not anymore. Now, to see your favourite band, you need connections.

You need to join a fan club. You need to find a presale. You need computer savvy and lightning reflexes. And if you want to sit closer than the nosebleeds, you practically have to raid your RRSP.

If it’s any consolation, fans aren’t the only ones suffering. The cash cows have come home to roost for rockers and tycoons too. Ticket sales have tumbled. Attendance has dwindled.

Artists from Christina Aguilera to Limp Bizkit have “postponed” tours.

Festivals such as Virgin, Edgefest and Pemberton are on hiatus. Sarah McLachlan’s Lilith has cut prices.

Even an act as seemingly bulletproof as Lady Gaga offered two-for-one seats to a recent U.K. gig.

In the U.S., Live Nation has waived fees at 50 venues for June. The show might still go on — as long as it goes on sale.

What in the name of Ozzy went wrong? Basically, it boils down to two words: Technology and greed. Years ago, they teamed up to destroy CD sales. Now their reunion tour is bringing down the curtain on the concert business. Here’s the story:

The Past

In 1980, Canada’s minimum wage ranged from $3 to $3.65 an hour. The average top-price concert ticket (according to my old stubs) cost $10 to $15. You could pull a shift at Mickey D’s to buy a ticket — and score a front-row seat with luck. Over the years, those numbers crept up like everything else, but the ratio held. By the mid-’90s, those fast-food jobs were netting $5-$7, while the average ticket (according to Pollstar) cost about $25.

The Eagles blew that to hell. When the California rockers buried the hatchet for their 1994 Hell Freezes Over CD and reunion tour, they became the first band to sell $100 tickets. And since there’s a sucker born every minute, people paid. Naturally, other rockers took notice. Many followed suit, jacking prices — while sellers upped service fees to get in on the action.

Fans felt the pinch. But when the Internet arrived, the squeeze really began. When ticket-selling empires went online, the game instantly changed. Instead of just vying with neighbours for seats, you went against a global army of scalpers who scarfed up tickets and resold them at usurious rates. Ticket companies got into the game themselves, redirecting buyers to their own reselling sites. (And let’s cut the crap: Anyone who resells tickets at inflated prices is a scalper. They can blather all they want about serving consumers; they’re still pond scum. And they will have a special place in hell — in line for eternity outside a Hendrix gig without enough money for a ticket.) Anyone over 30 probably recalls the last time they lined up to buy tickets, only to be told the gig had sold out online in minutes. And they likely recall thinking: This system sucks.

The Present

Today it sucks harder. Online piracy has decimated CD sales — fewer than five million albums were sold in the last week of May, the lowest total in decades. As a result, artists must tour farther and longer to fill their coffers. And since many still live in self-centred, champagne-filled dream bubbles, they don’t seem to believe the principles of supply and demand apply. They think they can tour in summer, though hundreds of acts are scrambling after the same shrinking pot. They think they can still charge big bucks (today’s average price: $63) in a dollar-store economy.

And — in a move so deluded, short-sighted and self-sabotaging even Wile E. Coyote wouldn’t try it — they believe they can soak fans for even more with VIP packages. For $350, you can watch Justin Bieber’s soundcheck. For $1,300, you can keep your folding chair after the Bon Jovi show — and perhaps take a picture of Jon’s maracas (sadly, this is not a euphemism). Before Aguilera folded her tent, she planned to charge $800 for a picture with her. And she was one of few artists willing to meet fans.

Most VIP packages include tickets down front, refreshments and a bag of swag, but zero contact. If that sounds lame, consider the widely circulated online tale of one fan who said he shelled out $1,100 for a VIP package, only to be “treated like s---” and laughed at by an apparent insider who told him the band makes its money from “dumb” fans like him.

The Future

So there you have it. And here we are — inundated with concerts we can’t afford, played by elitist stars whose priority seems to be fleecing the suckers one last time. Is it any wonder fans are staying away in droves? Is there anything to be done? Glad you asked. Now that we’ve cleared the air, let’s talk solutions. Here’s how the industry can get the concert scene back on the road to health:

Get Real

Do you have a one-named singer? Does your catalog have enough hits to fill two hours? Have you made an album this decade — and did anyone care? If not, you are not worth $100. So get over yourself and stop gouging us to make the mortgage on your mansion. We’re getting by with less; you can too. Oh, and instead of slashing prices when tickets aren’t selling — which only burns dedicated fans who already ponied up — sell them cheap first to get the ball rolling, then raise prices. As for vendors — you sell hundreds of thousands of tickets a day; adding 30% of the price in so-called service and convenience fees isn’t helping.

Space Out

There are 12 months in a year. But every summer, every act jams their tour into the same 12-week period from June to August. Next year, hit the road in the off-season. In much of this country, the concert calendar is a dead zone from December to March. You could literally be the only game in town. Yeah, it’s cold. But I suspect you’ll get a warm welcome from fans.

Scalp Scalpers

The Industry maintains scalping can’t be stopped. Really? Seems pretty simple: 1) Stop presales; 2) Put the attendee’s name on every ticket sold — no exceptions, no TBAs, no duplications; 3) Prohibit resales, changes or transfers; if you can’t use your ticket, it can be returned for a refund (minus a service charge) and goes back for sale at face value; 4) Make fans show photo ID at the gig. I’m no genius, but it seems that would work. So why hasn’t it happened?

Could it be because artists want to justify their own money-grubbing tactics? And if you think a ticket-name system would be cumbersome:

Have you flown lately? Your average airport processes several times more people every day — and searches them. Checking IDs at an arena shouldn’t be tough. If it is, let patrons check in early — hours or days — and get a wristband so they can breeze in at showtime.

Respect Fans

This is the big one. And the most basic. Stop treating people like walking ATMs. Stop treating rich ones better than regular ones. And stop putting money and marketing before music. Nobody wants a folding chair with your name on it. They want to hear you play. And if you want them to keep coming en masse, you need to make them all feel special.

If you don’t, it’s only a matter of time before all your gigs are private shows for millionaires.

And they aren’t big on folding chairs.

Be Your Own Boss

Need a role model? Try Bruce Springsteen. He disdains VIP packages.

He battles scalpers. Tickets for his last tour reportedly maxed out at $98. And he seems to do OK. So it is possible to sell out without being a sell-out.

<!-- e --><a href="mailto:darryl.sterdan@sunmedia.ca">darryl.sterdan@sunmedia.ca</a><!-- e -->
    "What the CANUCK happened?!? - Esquimalt Barber Shop
  • Options
    Grandmas JamGrandmas Jam Posts: 1,860
    gecko wrote:
    http://jam.canoe.ca/Music/2010/06/10/14337341.html

Usual stuff, ticket prices, dwindled attendance etc. Reminds me how big PJ really is.
    thanks for that article man, says it all
    Ryan Crooks insists upon himself
  • Options
    while reading the article, there was a google ad for what seemed to be a stubhub-esque website. thought that was pretty funny.
    Follow the ageless tide.
    Follow the angled light.
    Follow the strangest tribe.
  • Options
    FlaggFlagg Posts: 5,856
    Yeah, that was good. I don't have a problem with PJ's prices either for two reasons. I don't have to deal with Ticketmaster or Live Nation or whoever and I know I will get a decent ticket. Just get lucky on the 10C sale and show up at the gate and that's it. Love the simplicity.

I also think they are a good value. We talk a lot about the length of the shows and the varied sets, etc. and don't think that doesn't have a lot to do with why I like them so much. There are plenty of band that charge far more for far less stage time.

Adding your name to the ticket and checking a photo ID is interesting and some bands do that already. Saw No Doubt on their reunion tour and that is exactly what they did for fans that got tickets in the pre-sales. Your name was printed right there on the ticket. The other thing they did was have separate lines at the venue and didn't release the tickets until a couple of hours before show time. If you had a pre-sale ticket with your name on it, you had a separate line (like 10C does) only you had to enter the venue once you picked up your ticket. Totally eliminated scalping.
    DAL-7/5/98,10/17/00,6/9/03,11/15/13
    BOS-9/28/04,9/29/04,6/28/08,6/30/08, 9/5/16, 9/7/16, 9/2/18
    MTL-9/15/05, OTT-9/16/05
    PHL-5/27/06,5/28/06,10/30/09,10/31/09
    CHI-8/2/07,8/5/07,8/23/09,8/24/09
    HTFD-6/27/08
    ATX-10/4/09, 10/12/14
    KC-5/3/2010,STL-5/4/2010
    Bridge School-10/23/2010,10/24/2010
    PJ20-9/3/2011,9/4/2011
    OKC-11/16/13
    SEA-12/6/13
    TUL-10/8/14
  • Options
    mcgrawd2mcgrawd2 Posts: 33
    If they allow refunds if you can 't go I would be on board with the name on the ticket thing , otherwise it is stupid. You have to buy tix months in advance if I am prohibited to resell even for face than I need an option if I can't go to the show.
  • Options
    ActionJackActionJack Posts: 137
    i dont see the need to eliminate presales if your suggesting putting names on the tickets. Doesnt seem to be necessary once you do that. Like the article though

I enjoy skinny-skiing, going to bullfights on acid...

• Options
    I think they meant "pre-sales" as in "Tickets go on sale Friday but you can order Wednesday if you have an AmEx or are a member of the Radio KWTF Workforce Online Fanclub E-mail list."

Let me ask you this, what fan-based industry has gone up and up and up and then crashed back to Earth and started serving it's customers again?

They keep saying sports are spiraling out of control, but there's no sign of it stopping. Even with the Great Recession in full swing, the Superb Owl commercials were sold out (although at a slight discount) and tickets were not exactly slashed in price. The "no service fee" promotion from LiveNation is just that, a promotion. Probably more to ease negative public opinion more than to stimulate ticket sales.

I doubt very much that anything is going to happen long-term.
    "Money is no object," I said, "but I am on a budget."
  • Options
    CobCob Posts: 857
    I have a routine for just about every arena or large show that I go to here in Austin where I live, when a band comes through town I never buy a ticket when they go on sale, I do a few things.

1: I try to find them on Craigslist for tickets and can usually get them for face value or just a little below or above that.

2: I ask around with all of my friends if they have any extra or know of anyone who has extras.

3: About a week before the show I check at the venue box office online, Ticketmaster or who ever is handling the show online and sometimes if I am close by the venue I will check the box office if I am near the area.

4: On the day of the concert I check online again, then I head down to the venue, see if people are selling extra tickets outside, then I check the box office to see if they have any available as they usually release some on the day of the show.

By following all of the steps like clockwork, I usually always get in some how and I don't have to deal with being on a computer like a crazy person the day tickets go on sale. At the Springsteen show last April here in Austin, the show "sold out" then a week before the show they started releasing tickets in the lower level. The day of the show scalper couldn't sell their tickets for $10.00 and some were giving them away.

As I have learned here in Austin anyway, when it is announced that a show is "sold out" a lot of people just stay home and don't bother, then all the scalpers are out front trying to sell their tickets and there are no buyers for them. Neil Young just played here in Austin and in Houston, all of the $59.00 and $99.00 tickets to the show in Houston were "sold out" as I was checking the Jones Hall website. Well a few days before the show I was checking their website and bingo, there are $99.00 tickets available and were available almost the whole week leading up to the show.

I started going to concerts when I was about 12 in the early 80's and have seen hundreds of concerts since that time, the concert industry has changed a lot since then. I remember in the 80's and 90's, scalpers/ticket brokers would buy $20.00-$25.00 tickets and try to sell them for $30.00-$35.00 to make a little money, I have no problem with that. But now people buy tickets for $100.00-$120.00 and try to sell them for $250.00-$300.00, I just won't support that and will continue to go to concerts the way I have. It's getting harder and harder, but I still seem to get into all the shows that I want to go see.
    [img][/img]9/5/92, 11/20/93, 3/14,15/94, 9/16/95, 10/14,15/2000
    4/5,6/9/2003, 9/1/05, 12/7/2005, 7/15,16,18/2006, 8/5/2007
    6/24,25/08,6/27/08,6/28/08,6/30/08
    9/21,22/2009, 10/4/2009
    5/6,7,9/2010, 9/3/2011 9/4/2011, 11/15/2013,
    11/16/2013, 12/8/2013, 10/5/2014, 10/12/2014,
    4/23, 5/10, 5/12, 8/20, 8/22 2016,
    8/8, 8/10, 8/18, 8/20 2018, 5/12, 5/13, 9/20 2022

• Options
    RKCNDYRKCNDY Seattle, WA Posts: 31,013
    Great article, I have done several of the outlets to get tix...pre-sale, then I didn't have to wait with all the other people trying to get tix, I was able to see several sold out shows thanks to pre-sale. 'On the List/Invitation'-I paid the most I ever had to for tix $75/person, to see Heart earlier this year. Being a fan that didn't get to see PJ for 10 years because of scalpers and tix selling out in minutes (I didn't have a CC to buy over the phone, so I would wait hours in line), I became a radio station winner, I've been to 3 PJ shows, all tix were free. I already hate the scalpers/brokers in front of Safeco, and I dunno, whenever I have tix to a concert, my brother in law will buy tix from the scalpers, and he gets ripped off big time, last time he paid $300/person for $45 Foo Fighter tix.
    I'd go for being on the list, and if concert promoters want us to keep going to concerts, they need to stop selling blocks to brokers (I had a client that is a broker and I asked him about how he gets tix).
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • Options
    CobCob Posts: 857
    My friend and his girlfriend live in Seattle, they went to the second night at Key Arena in Sept. with me and they both got in for $30.00 each.
    [img][/img]9/5/92, 11/20/93, 3/14,15/94, 9/16/95, 10/14,15/2000
    4/5,6/9/2003, 9/1/05, 12/7/2005, 7/15,16,18/2006, 8/5/2007
    6/24,25/08,6/27/08,6/28/08,6/30/08
    9/21,22/2009, 10/4/2009
    5/6,7,9/2010, 9/3/2011 9/4/2011, 11/15/2013,
    11/16/2013, 12/8/2013, 10/5/2014, 10/12/2014,
    4/23, 5/10, 5/12, 8/20, 8/22 2016,
    8/8, 8/10, 8/18, 8/20 2018, 5/12, 5/13, 9/20 2022

• Options
    Dru_CortezDru_Cortez Posts: 953
    I am skipping
    Simon + Garfunkel
    + Tom Petty
    + Michael Buble (for the gf, I swear!)
    due to exorbitant ticket prices.
    It needed to be said- BRAVO!
    Cheers.
    'Cause you don't give blood and take it back again.
  • Options
    geckogecko Posts: 1,712
    April 4, 1995: Pearl Jam announces a 13-date U.S. tour itinerary and the decision to use upstart ticketing company ETM for ticket sales and distribution. ETM provides fully automated phone lines, bar codes on tickets to prevent scalpers, ability to handle 4,000 incoming calls at one time, no corporate advertising on tickets and a $2 service fee along with 50¢ per order handling costs. Most of the shows are scheduled at out-of-the-way, alternative venues to avoid using Ticketmaster.
    June 16, 1995: In Casper, Wyoming, Pearl Jam plays the first show of a rocky 13-date US tour.

15 years today.
  • Options
    jrnycjrnyc Posts: 537
    Not that I didnt know it already, but after reading that depressing view of today's concert scene, makes me appreciate even more how well PJ treats it's fans.
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,331
    I think that article had me in the first few paragraphs. I've joined quite a few fan clubs over the past few years to try and get decent tickets. Its usually a 50 dollar premium on a pair of tickets, but compared with how bad buying tickets directly from ticketmaster can turn out, its a whole lot cheaper then going to a scalper.

I think that was one of the best written articles I've seen on the present state of the concert business. From what I'm seeing its pretty much established acts that can still almost sell out arenas. New bands who have maybe 1 or 2 songs, don't stand a chance. Will there even be arena concerts after the old guard passes on?
  • Options
    whgarrettwhgarrett Posts: 574
    I just bought Kings of Leon tix for the Gorge. $24.99 each. No service fee. Free shipping. $24.99 flat. That seemed like a good deal to me. :D
  • Options
    circlesdowncirclesdown Posts: 308

Do you have a one-named singer? Does your catalog have enough hits to fill two hours? Have you made an album this decade — and did anyone care? If not, you are not worth $100. So get over yourself and stop gouging us to make the mortgage on your mansion. We’re getting by with less; you can too.

I find it laughable when a retread band from over 10 or 15 years ago tries to pass off what should be a regular club tour likes it's a big deal that everyone cares about, and they charge $79 when they should be charging $39-$45 at most. They book the House of Blues to legitimize what they percieve to be a highly anticipated reunion tour, when actually, they had a nice little blip on the radar for a short period of time and that was it, not enough people care anymore and you are no longer relevant. I say this even about bands that I like (Live, Blind Melon) as much as bands that I don't like and seem silly when they try this (Hole, Limp Biz, Goo Goo Dolls (barf). I find this funny and sad when I see it.

At least Joan Jett is only charging $33, she knows her place.
  • Options
    circlesdowncirclesdown Posts: 308
    whgarrett wrote:
    I just bought Kings of Leon tix for the Gorge. $24.99 each. No service fee. Free shipping. $24.99 flat. That seemed like a good deal to me. :D

Wow, I find that amazing. Not going to find a better deal than that.
  • Options
    8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
    Dru_Cortez wrote:
    I am skipping
    Simon + Garfunkel
    + Tom Petty
    + Michael Buble (for the gf, I swear!)
    due to exorbitant ticket prices.
    It needed to be said- BRAVO!
    Cheers.

add The Wall to that list.

single floor ticket at the United Center - $250, plus fee's.

:roll:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    NDJeff7NDJeff7 Posts: 205
    I still have my ticket stub from the Augusta, ME show back in 1996 with my name on it. I thought it was a great idea then to combat scalpers and was surprised they didn't take that idea any further. I also think the face value was about $20 on that one, how times have changed but still worth it!
  • Options
    PJfanPAPJfanPA Posts: 130
    Good reading! For what I shelled out for Tom Petty and Roger Waters I could of seen 4 Pearl Jam shows! Taking the wife to see Tom Petty for her birthday and I don't think I will get many chances to see The Wall live! Only wish it was all of Pink Floyd doing it!
    09/02/00 04/28/03 07/05/03 07/06/03 07/12/03 10/01/04 10/03/05 05/13/06 05/27/06 05/28/06 06/01/06 06/03/06
  • Options
    force-10force-10 Posts: 794
    PJfanPA wrote:
    Good reading! For what I shelled out for Tom Petty and Roger Waters I could of seen 4 Pearl Jam shows! Taking the wife to see Tom Petty for her birthday and I don't think I will get many chances to see The Wall live! Only wish it was all of Pink Floyd doing it!

Exactly! It´s not even Pink Floyd. Well, PJ in mexico the floor tickets were worth more than 200 dollars + tax + fees. Couldn´t make it. Almost the cost of the plane ticket to get there.
    IN THE DARK, ALL CATS ARE BLACK.