Options

Ain't Talkin' bout love

2»

Comments

• Options
    WM31482WM31482 New York, NY Posts: 563
    The topic has it's very own thread stickied up top. To discuss what is on PJ Radio. That's why it's there.

i'm just curious... why does seeing people people talking about pearl jam radio outside of the designated sticky thread make you so angry?? i feel like i see you post this at least one time per day?
    (ps i think someone else already has this job?)
  • Options
    aNiMaL wrote:
    I didn't follow the explanation about the UCONN women's basketball team. What do they have to do with this song?
    Add me to the list. I too would like to know this answer.

i know who to ask this question-
    i can't tell you who in here, maybe here later: http://community.pearljam.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=133683&hilit=+ridiculous
    but i will let you know if i find out the answer lol
  • Options
    PJ5a1PJ5a1 Oceanside, NY Posts: 420
    Wanna be moderators are not cool at all and should really take a look in the mirror and say...."why am I a wanna be moderator/Internet forum security guard?"
    If I were Eddie Vedder, would you like me any better? - Local H
  • Options
    PJ5a1 wrote:
    Wanna be moderators are not cool at all and should really take a look in the mirror and say...."why am I a wanna be moderator/Internet forum security guard?"

i thought about this, for like a minute, and i really could not come up with any reasons why a person might want to do this?

then i moved on, this guy clearly cannot-

so now i'm really curious?

:?: :? :?:
  • Options
    joe2468joe2468 Posts: 3,049
    BUSH-lager wrote:
    Is anyone else thoroughly amused by wannabe moderators?

yes i am ....
    have you seen the colors of my fathers eyes
  • Options
    Wolf At BayWolf At Bay Posts: 236
    WM31482 wrote:
    aNiMaL wrote:
    I didn't follow the explanation about the UCONN women's basketball team. What do they have to do with this song?
    Add me to the list. I too would like to know this answer.

i know who to ask this question-
    i can't tell you who in here, maybe here later: http://community.pearljam.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=133683&hilit=+ridiculous
    but i will let you know if i find out the answer lol
    This is vague
  • Options
    yes, as i stated I think I know who to ask-
    however, when my boyfriend caught me emailing her one day he actually said "this is ridiculous"
    therefore, i choose not to reveal my source unless she gives us the answer.
    if anybody knows it will be her though.
  • Options
    GeneralissimoGeneralissimo Providence Posts: 99
    Add me to the list wondering what this song has to do with the UConn women's basketball team. I figured when listening to Eddie introduce the song at the show that I missed the link between the song and the team, but judging from other people's confusion he never provided one.

Can't wait 'til my Hartford bootleg arrives today to give this incredible night another listen!
  • Options
    Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    rpkuhn2 wrote:
    Add me to the list wondering what this song has to do with the UConn women's basketball team. I figured when listening to Eddie introduce the song at the show that I missed the link between the song and the team, but judging from other people's confusion he never provided one.

Can't wait 'til my Hartford bootleg arrives today to give this incredible night another listen!

I'm one of the one's on the list. I guess he says, "You've got to take the 3-point baby!"
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • Options
    Newch91 wrote:

I'm one of the one's on the list. I guess he says, "You've got to take the 3-point baby!"

Haha that's great.

The one theory I have seems a little sexist for a guy like Eddie: although the subjects (UConn women's team) are of the female sex, in this case we are not honoring them for the nurturing/carnal qualities women provide the opposite sex, but rather their prowess on the basketball court....."ain't talkin bout love, [we talkin bout basketball]"

I know, I know. Huge stretch, but it's all I could come up with. I tried to word that as delicately as possible so as not to come off like a pig :oops:
  • Options
    rpkuhn2 wrote:
    Newch91 wrote:

Haha that's great.

The one theory I have seems a little sexist for a guy like Eddie: although the subjects (UConn women's team) are of the female sex, in this case we are not honoring them for the nurturing/carnal qualities women provide the opposite sex, but rather their prowess on the basketball court....."ain't talkin bout love, [we talkin bout basketball]"

I know, I know. Huge stretch, but it's all I could come up with. I tried to word that as delicately as possible so as not to come off like a pig :oops:

I remember him also saying Jeff said "They are some of the most badass women to ever play the game" or something like that. Seems like Jeff was following the team.
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • Options
    Okay fine -

I've never been to the XL Center before, I was curious where my seats are, so I went to the website and clicked the "contact us if you have a question" link-

The girl that responded was very nice/helpful, we emailed back and forth a few times.... I asked if she was going to the show, she said "I won’t get to see the concert but I will hear them when they practice and do the sound check."

Then the day after the show I get this email (that I made the mistake of opening in front of my boyfriend):

From: <!-- e --><a href="mailto:XLCenterInfo@xlcenter.com">XLCenterInfo@xlcenter.com</a><!-- e -->
    Sent: Sunday, May 16, 2010 7:14 PM

So how was the show?????

He said I was ridiculous, so that's when I accepted that I belong here- http://community.pearljam.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=133683&hilit=+ridiculous

Anyways, I mailed her a CD with State of Love & Trust and Ain't Talkin' Bout Love on it and asked why-
    I will let you know when she writes back. She should definitely know the answer.
  • Options
    awilkinsawilkins Posts: 984
    Ahhh...I finally hear 'gotta take a 3-point baby'...hmmm?
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,930
    Honestly, I'm not sure there is an answer to this. My thinking that night was that dedicating this song to the UConn team was just a local shout out. The song came up in sound check, Eddie (and probably Mike - he sure looked like he had fun) wanted to play it, Jeff wasn't so sure, and so it went onto the set list with a question mark. When they decided to go ahead with it Eddie worked in the bit about UConn because he had planned to say something about them all night. Just local flavor to spice up the show. If they had played something else in that spot Eddie may have said something similar, minus the bit about Jeff thinking they should find him a doctor.

That was my take at least. I could be wrong.

Regardless, I absolutely loved hearing them play this song!

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    WM31482 wrote:
    Okay fine -

I've never been to the XL Center before, I was curious where my seats are, so I went to the website and clicked the "contact us if you have a question" link-

The girl that responded was very nice/helpful, we emailed back and forth a few times.... I asked if she was going to the show, she said "I won’t get to see the concert but I will hear them when they practice and do the sound check."

Then the day after the show I get this email (that I made the mistake of opening in front of my boyfriend):

From: <!-- e --><a href="mailto:XLCenterInfo@xlcenter.com">XLCenterInfo@xlcenter.com</a><!-- e -->
    Sent: Sunday, May 16, 2010 7:14 PM

So how was the show?????

He said I was ridiculous, so that's when I accepted that I belong here- http://community.pearljam.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=133683&hilit=+ridiculous

Anyways, I mailed her a CD with State of Love & Trust and Ain't Talkin' Bout Love on it and asked why-
    I will let you know when she writes back. She should definitely know the answer.

Awesome! I can't wait to hear what you find out...
  • Options
    Here's what she said so far haha....
    Sent: Wednesday, June 09, 2010 2:18 PM

Wow, the video was very clear.
    Sounds like every one had a good time.
    Are you going to another one?

so i wrote this back, to hopefully make it more clear.....

Sent: Wednesday, June 09, 2010 2:24 PM

I sent that video because I thought you’d be able to solve the mystery for us –

They start off saying somehow this came up in sound check that day (which I think you said you hear, right?)

They said they’re going to play this song one time and one time only

They say that the song is dedicated to your women’s basketball team

And there’s a reason for this (which they do not share)

Then they play a cover of a Van Halen song called “Ain’t Talkin’ Bout Love”

It was a little confusing, I was wondering if you happened to know why they would dedicate that song to them??

Do they play it in basketball practice or before games or something? Does it even sound familiar?
  • Options
    I decided to email vs. wait for the mail to arrive. It was taking too long haha

But I have a feeling this might have been a totally random dedication here. Based on our previous interactions/sudden time lag on email response, I think she is looking into it. But I think she would already recognize the song if that basketball team had been playing it every day during warmups or something...
  • Options
    Newch91 wrote:
    rpkuhn2 wrote:

I was about to say this sounds like the answer, but I checked the lyrics online, and they're actually "you got to, got to bleed for it, baby" - hey maybe everyone in the band misunderstood the lyrics?
  • Options
    my girl will pull through don't worry lol

although i do think that sending an mp3 of only the little OTOTO speech would be helpful-

does anyone know how to edit just that part out?

seems easier than saying please scroll past the first 3 minutes and 30 seconds of state of love and trust and listen to the last 90 seconds of talking
  • Options
    ceskaceska New York Posts: 1,077
    Yeah, I use a program called wavepad, it was and probably still is a free audio editing program. Real easy to use.
    WM31482 wrote:
  • Options
    mookieblalockmookieblalock Posts: 3,178
    In my opinion the song was dedicated to them by altering the lyrics to "gotta take the 3 pointer baby!" as some have referenced already.

I truly do think its as simple as that.
  • Options
    ceska wrote:
    Yeah, I use a program called wavepad, it was and probably still is a free audio editing program. Real easy to use.
    WM31482 wrote:

any chance it's easy enough that you're willing to do it lol?
    (i'm not allowed to download programs, work doesn't give me administrative rights - bc they're smart apparently)

and i agree, i think this in no way relates to that basketball team. would be nice to get final confirmation though.
  • Options
    Sent: Thursday, June 10, 2010 9:01 AM

I asked around about the song to the girls’ basketball team and was told that Pearl Jam knew of the UCONN girls winning streak and wanted to sing that song as a tribute to them. What a classy bunch of guys!

The song choice was just random though.
  • Options
    WM31482 wrote:
    Sent: Thursday, June 10, 2010 9:01 AM

I asked around about the song to the girls’ basketball team and was told that Pearl Jam knew of the UCONN girls winning streak and wanted to sing that song as a tribute to them. What a classy bunch of guys!

The song choice was just random though.

You are awesome for this!
  • Options
    Newch91 wrote:
    rpkuhn2 wrote:

I was about to say this sounds like the answer, but I checked the lyrics online, and they're actually "you got to, got to bleed for it, baby" - hey maybe everyone in the band misunderstood the lyrics?

Yes.. thats the point. Eddie changed the words. he clearly says "got to take the 3- point baby" several times.
  • Options

Yes.. thats the point. Eddie changed the words. he clearly says "got to take the 3- point baby" several times.
    Yeah, I know, but it fit so well that I started to think those were the original words, because, you know, who the hell cares about Van Halen lyrics? So for all I knew, those were there words. And then I looked them up. You get my drift?