"Big Bold and Free"?

24veddie24veddie Posts: 267
edited February 2008 in The Porch
Did this ever occur? Did I miss it? Hopefully in 08 we hear something about it.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    24veddie wrote:
    lol, this is like 3 years old.. I'm pretty sure the free World Wide Suicide Single download was it.
  • 24veddie wrote:

hahahaha let it go!
    Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18
  • TravelarTravelar Kalamazoo, USA Posts: 3,354
    Let it go.... they tried, they failed, and we moved on.
  • AstroFanAstroFan Posts: 193
    24veddie wrote:

It was originally used as something to shut people up, and now people won't shut up about it ;)

No, it never happened, and probably won't happen.
  • tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    ....and I think we should poke 'em with a stick every now and then to remind them.
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • lol, this is like 3 years old.. I'm pretty sure the free World Wide Suicide Single download was it.

Ding ding ding.

Big = they probably had a feeling it would be a hit since it's so catchy

Bold = taking on W when the country hadn't fully turned the corner and regained our collective brain/testicles

Free = it was free

I think we can move on now...
    "Goddamn Romans. Sure know how to make a ... drum room." --Matt Cameron
  • bold is also giving away your single for free!
    Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18
  • jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    put this with WMD.

Classic!

Lots of talk about it, but no tangible evidence of its existence.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • 24veddie24veddie Posts: 267
    tybird wrote:
    ....and I think we should poke 'em with a stick every now and then to remind them.

my thoughts exactly. just stirring the pot a little bit that's all.
  • 1STmammal2wearPants1STmammal2wearPants Worcester, MA Posts: 2,825
    they should do the big, bold, and free thing as a mini-tour of free 10c-only shows in small venues.
    2003 Mansfield III 
    2004 Boston I 
    2006 Boston I 
    2008 Bonnaroo, Hartford, Mansfield I 
    2010 Hartford 
    2013 Worcester I, Worcester II, Hartford 
    2016 Bonnaroo, Boston I, Boston II 
    2018 Boston I, Boston II 
    2021 Sea.Hear.Now
    2022 Camden
    2024 Boston I, Boston II
  • inmyrvminmyrvm Posts: 933
    BeerBaron wrote:
    I did not occur.

Word was that is was something huge and the band could not pull it off in the end. It was not the WWS single.
    that is the first honest answer here. i also heard eddie was gonna give mustache rides to audience members........
    "Fuck the talkin' let's start rockin" - Eddie Vedder 9-5-00 Pittsburgh
    4/26/03 Pittsburgh 5/3/03 State College 7/12/03 Hershey 10/1/04 Reading 9/28/05 Pittsburgh 5/20/06 Cleveland 6/23/06 Pittsburgh 6/22/08 DC

friends don't let friends listen to good charlotte
  • GR8DaneGR8Dane Posts: 957
    isn't this like, so two years ago? I thought we had dropped this subject???
    Everybody made a movie....
    Everybody had a one line.....
    Everybody misses Andy....
    We'll be seeing him in no time.... Oh Yeah.....

We are Red, we are White, we are Danish Dynamite!
  • gobrowns19gobrowns19 Posts: 1,447
    Even knowing it's not going to happen, I would still like to know what it was.
    Happiness is only real when shared
  • they should do the big, bold, and free thing as a mini-tour of free 10c-only shows in small venues.

I wish!

There are a few of us on here who have been screaming for 10c only club show for a couple of years now.

C'mon, Pearl Jam!

At least do a COUPLE of them.
    Say 2 or 3 per coast.

Hell, you only have to play an hour (of course, the setlist will have to be off the chain!), just DO IT.

:D
    If I was to smile and I held out my hand
    If I opened it now would you not understand?
  • 24veddie wrote:

look at your PJ concert resume, dude

you have very little to complain about...
  • rhinomagicrhinomagic Charlottesville, VA Posts: 2,547
    I've always held the idea that it was a free 10C show at a large arena, like MSG.

Not that I have any evidence to support.

It definitely was TWO years ago. They failed. Let it go.

Memphis 1994
    New Orleans 1995
    Fort Lauderdale 1996
    Atlanta & Birmingham 1998
    New Orleans 2000
    Tampa 2003
    Kissimmee 2004
    New York City (x 2) 2008
    East Troy (x 2) 2011
    Chicago & New Orleans 2013
    Hampton, Raleigh, Boston 2016
    Baltimore 2020
    Louisville 2022
    Philadelphia & Baltimore 2024
  • rhinomagic wrote:
    I've always held the idea that it was a free 10C show at a large arena, like MSG.

Not that I have any evidence to support.

It definitely was TWO years ago. They failed. Let it go.

Keep Hope Alive

It could still happen!

:D:D:D

[not!]
  • swardsward Posts: 586
    C'mon people. It was definitely the WWS single. For a time, it wasn't that common for a band, especially the size of PJ, to give away their first single. I think when the Big and Bold announcement was made, it was unique...then when it came time to do it...maybe not so unique anymore. Hard to say, but I've accepted that that was it and was not disappointed. It's all about expectations people..and we expect way too much.
  • sward wrote:
    C'mon people. It was definitely the WWS single. For a time, it wasn't that common for a band, especially the size of PJ, to give away their first single. I think when the Big and Bold announcement was made, it was unique...then when it came time to do it...maybe not so unique anymore. Hard to say, but I've accepted that that was it and was not disappointed. It's all about expectations people..and we expect way too much.

No.
    If it was, they would have said so.
    I believe we actualy got vague confirmation from Kat that it never happened, and that they "tried".

Thanks for playing though.
    WWS single a poor "consolation prize".
    :D
  • Marie CurieMarie Curie Posts: 1,250
    It'll be 10 years from now, and people will still be talking about it
    A Love Letter to the fans:

It’s all love. And we just wanted to you to know … We love you because you love Pearl Jam. We love you because you participate in our Ten Club fun. We love you because of your enthusiasm and support for both Pearl Jam and the Ten Club. We love you because of your passion and dedication to music. It’s all love.

Like any other loving relationship, you must acknowledge that we are not perfect. We recognize we have some faults. Sometimes we send out newsletters too late, or the holiday single doesn’t come out during the holidays. Or we can only offer limited amount of tickets or merchandise, which leaves some of you without and extremely frustrated. Or sometimes our forums will go down, leaving you without your link to other fan club members. Or sometimes our web-store will not function properly for you and you are not able to purchase the items you are interested in … we want you to know we feel your pain. Every healthy relationship is a little push and pull, ebb and flow, up and down, so it’s nothing personal.

Pearl Jam and the Ten Club have been through many changes in the past year. The band has left their record label of 14 years and ventured into unstable but exciting territory of doing many things on their own. The Ten Club is a small operation and has taken on a lot of these endeavors, and we are learning many things along the way - your input is extremely helpful. During this transitional time, just know we are trying to make things better for you, to offer you more opportunities and include you more into the world of Pearl Jam.

That being said, we have high hopes that you will like us a whole lot more when all is said and done. We are planning to do something for our members early next year, to follow the release of the new record … something big, bold, beautiful, and free! So hang tight and enjoy the ride with us, continue to provide us with your input, and continue to spread the PJ love.

Did we mention that we love you? It’s all love.

Always,

~Ten Club Staff
    “Life is life everywhere. Life is in ourselves and not outside us. There will be men beside me, and the important thing is to be a man among men and to remain a man always, whatever the misfortunes, not to despair and not to fall - that is the aim of life, that is its purpose.”
    Fyodor Dostoyevsky
  • swardsward Posts: 586
    I think this proves the WWS point! haha
  • NC_IrieNC_Irie Posts: 270
    anyone care to provide the history on this?
    Empty pockets will allow a greater sense of wealth.
    Why contain yourself like any other book on the shelf?

Subtle voices in the wind hear the truth they're telling.
    A world begins where the road ends.
    Watch me leave it all behind.
  • NewJPageNewJPage Posts: 3,295
    since people are meeting band members every other day now, next person to meet one should just ask...
    6/26/98, 8/17/00, 10/8/00, 12/8/02, 12/9/02, 4/25/03, 5/28/03, 6/1/03, 6/3/03, 6/5/03, 6/6/03, 6/12/03, 6/13/03, 6/15/03, 6/18/03, 6/21/03, 6/22/03, 7/12/03, 7/14/03, 10/3/04, 10/5/04, 9/9/05, 9/11/05, 9/16/05, 5/16/06, 5/17/06, 5/19/06, 6/30/06, 7/23/06, 8/5/07, 6/30/08, 8/23/09, 8/24/09, 5/4/10, 5/7/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/11/13, 10/17/14, 8/20/16
  • JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,408
    BeerBaron wrote:
    Many of us did drop it a long time ago...

The problem here really is communication. The 10C never formally addressed this issue and that gives many people the hope that it is still coming. But the bottom line is that they didn't tell us that it is a no-go because of the backlash they would get on here ....

perhaps if people here were a bit more forgiving, we'd get more information!
  • maybe im getting old and having a fucking brain fart. but wasnt this address in a rumor pit question and answer section? bascially said something to the affect of "sometimes things don't work out the way you expext them to."
    I miss you hippiemom.
  • inmyrvminmyrvm Posts: 933
    BeerBaron wrote:
    Many of us did drop it a long time ago...

The problem here really is communication. The 10C never formally addressed this issue and that gives many people the hope that it is still coming. But the bottom line is that they didn't tell us that it is a no-go because of the backlash they would get on here ....
    they don't communicate much anymore, period. someone actually knew what they were trying to do but couldn't say. it was NOT the wws single, that is a proven fact.
    "Fuck the talkin' let's start rockin" - Eddie Vedder 9-5-00 Pittsburgh
    4/26/03 Pittsburgh 5/3/03 State College 7/12/03 Hershey 10/1/04 Reading 9/28/05 Pittsburgh 5/20/06 Cleveland 6/23/06 Pittsburgh 6/22/08 DC

friends don't let friends listen to good charlotte
  • a5pja5pj Hershey PA Posts: 3,834
    one of these threads pops up every now and again, bottom line is nothing really happened, but i agree it is good to give em a little poke every now and then :) no complaining here though
    Wouldn't it be funny if the world ended in 2010, with lots of fire?

• Kat's original message seems to prove the fact that the "World Wide Suicide" download was NOT the "big, bold, and free" gift. The message says that it was going to be something special for members. If I recall correctly, the "World Wide Suicide" download was available to everyone.
    "I'll end up alone like I began..."

"You need the patience of like a National Geographic photographer sitting underneath the bush in a tent, trying to get a picture of zebras fucking or something for the first time." -Eddie Vedder
  • Lukin66Lukin66 Posts: 3,063
    deep, deep blue of the morning
    gets to me every time