Options

Super 8mm Cameras

elvistheking44elvistheking44 Posts: 4,252
edited June 2010 in The Art Wall
Anyone use one for work, or just for fun. Im thinking about getting into this media. Anyone have any experiences? Good or Bad?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Lone Drawn MeteorLone Drawn Meteor Vancouver, BC, Canada, Northern Hemishpere, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe Posts: 1,230
    I used to have some fully functioning set-ups. Camera, reel-to-reel, projector, screen, editing tools, etc, etc, etc, . Biggest pain in the ass I have ever had to deal with. Barely worth the final, kitchy outcome. Unless you have ample money to pay and pay and pay, and ample patience to wait and wait and wait, just use a digital camera and add grain effects and sound pops afterwards.
    If you really want to do it, though, this is the guy that bought my set-up. Well, technically I gave it to him in lieu of payment for breaking every knob and switch on the steering column of his car by wrapping the entire front seat and every inch of the front dash in electrician's tape. While that didn't directly break it, I did it on the rainiest day of spring on a day when he was running late. His haste to tear all the tape off resulted in the sheer destruction of anything moveable. Oops.

I know he's looked after the camera and stuff really well, but he's a starving artist and might be looking to sell it one day.

http://www.collinzipp.info/

Good luck!
    "If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a fire exit." - Mitch Hedberg
  • Options
    Kilgore_TroutKilgore_Trout Posts: 7,334
    ive been really into my old VHS camcorder for recent video work

as modern tech gets better you dont have to go as far back as 8mm anymore to get that vintage look

love the sound of a projector running with video installation work tho

good luck!
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/