Options

Putting the price of a PJ ticket in perspective...

mjbmjb Posts: 1,314
edited March 2008 in The Porch
Please see attached ticket announcement received today for the Air Canada Centre in Toronto (makes up for being shut out of a PJ show, no?)

Air Canada Centre proudly presents:
GEORGE MICHAEL
Thursday, July 17, 2008 at 8:00pm
Ticket Prices: $126.25 - $201.25 (+handling fees)

WONDER WHEN THE PRESALE IS? :)
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    GenGen Cardiff Posts: 130
    Exactly!

I know you're all gonna laugh at me but frankly, I don't give a toss...

I paid £80 for a ticket to see Madonna (that's around $160 I think) in '06 and it was worth every penny. You could see where the money went, incredible set, dancers costumes etc..

I guess it's all about how much people are prepared to part with to do what they want to do.

In all honesty, paying $170 (£85 approx) for two tickets for PJ is more than reasonable here in the wepayovertheodds UK
    PJ Virgin.. till the Astoria :)

Am I the only Welsh person here?
    Ydych i'n siarad Cymraeg?
  • Options
    luvisatowerluvisatower Posts: 1,078
    Gen wrote:
    Exactly!

I know you're all gonna laugh at me but frankly, I don't give a toss...

I paid £80 for a ticket to see Madonna (that's around $160 I think) in '06 and it was worth every penny. You could see where the money went, incredible set, dancers costumes etc..

I guess it's all about how much people are prepared to part with to do what they want to do.

In all honesty, paying $170 (£85 approx) for two tickets for PJ is more than reasonable here in the wepayovertheodds UK
    i'm not laughing.
    i paid well over 170 for paul mccartney tickets 2 years in row and would gladly pay it again.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Get it now, get enough, before its gone, let's everybody carry on, carry on....
    www.wishlistfoundation.org
    WE WANT YOU!!!!
    join the street team
    http://wishlistfoundation.fancorps.com

"headphones are highly recommended...." Jeff Ament
  • Options
    faithful2youfaithful2you Madison, WI Posts: 778
    Hehehehehe....flame me but here it goes....

I spent $250 for 2 tickets to take MY WIFE to see Bon Jovi & Chris Daughtery next month. And I'm actually looking forward to it....shot thru the heart
    Like a word misplaced...nothing said...what a waste
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    george michael... madonna... bon jovi... and fucking daughtery mentioned in the same thread...

i just threw up
  • Options
    if you think about how a tour operates, it is very energy intensive. do the people who are complaining about the higher prices somehow think that higher energy costs has not affected this industry along with all others?
  • Options
    jbalicki10jbalicki10 Posts: 517
    Guys.... It's not complaining about the price of ticket for a particular band. It is the price in general to see any show at a large venue. Prices are just plain insane nowadays and you don't get a lot of bang for your buck.
  • Options
    AnnaMelindaAnnaMelinda Posts: 331
    jbalicki10 wrote:
    you don't get a lot of bang for your buck.

Have you BEEN to a Pearl Jam show? :)
    sometimes life don't leave you alone
  • Options
    luvistower wrote:
    i'm not laughing.
    i paid well over 170 for paul mccartney tickets 2 years in row and would gladly pay it again.

ok, not to be a dick but, there is a slight difference between paul and madonna. Paul was a fucking beetle for crying outloud!
    4-30-03
    7-06-03
    7-11-03
    9-28-04
    9-29-04
    5-13-06
    6-03-06
    6-27-08
  • Options
    I remember paying £23 (almost $50) to see REM, my first ever gig, in 1995. for a 14 year old, that was a lot of pocket money saved up!

Now, you'd be lucky to pay under £50 for the same ticket!

• Options
    luvisatowerluvisatower Posts: 1,078
    ok, not to be a dick but, there is a slight difference between paul and madonna. Paul was a fucking beetle for crying outloud!
    ummm do you mean BEATLE?
    :p

(i kid, just giving you sh*t)
    Get it now, get enough, before its gone, let's everybody carry on, carry on....
    www.wishlistfoundation.org
    WE WANT YOU!!!!
    join the street team
    http://wishlistfoundation.fancorps.com

"headphones are highly recommended...." Jeff Ament
  • Options
    luvistower wrote:
    ummm do you mean BEATLE?
    :p

(i kid, just giving you sh*t)

lmao!.... OOPS!
    4-30-03
    7-06-03
    7-11-03
    9-28-04
    9-29-04
    5-13-06
    6-03-06
    6-27-08
  • Options
    lmao!.... OOPS!

is anyone else noticing the irony of your name and little typo ?

(just kidding ;) )

• Options
    voodoopugvoodoopug Posts: 1,011
    I don't want to hear it....as a Rolling Stones fan, let me tell you some stories about ticket prices (keep in mind that my wife comes with me to all shows and I purchase two tickets, these prices are per ticket):

Annual since 2002 - $100 fan club membership

2003 - United Center front row at "B" Stage "$350" plus TM fees plus $100 annual fan club membership

2005 - Fenway Park - $351 4th row center opening night of tour

2005 - $163 plus fees Fenway park, 20 rows behind 1st base (Stage in Center field)

2002 - Aragon Ballroom - $950 Ticket broker General Admission

1997 - Double Door Bar (Chicago) capacity 700 people - $10 (ok, so they cannot all be expensive!)

2005 - Soldier Field - Seats built into the stage $250 each

And the list goes on and on and on

When I seen Pearl Jam tickets were less than $100 each, I was ecstatic.
    There's Pearl Jam, The Rolling Stones, Chuck Berry, Robert Johnson......and then everybody else.
  • Options
    suppafreak wrote:

Here here!
    It's an art to live with pain...mix the light into grey..

9.28.96, 9.8.98, 8.24.00, 8.27.00, 8.29.00, 7.2.03, 7.3.03, 7.9.03, 7.11.03, 9.28.04, 5.1.06, 5.13.06, 5.31.06, 6.1.06, 6.3.06, 6.24.08, 6.25.08, 6.27.08, 6.28.08, 6.30.08
  • Options
    Kel VarnsenKel Varnsen Posts: 1,951
    Hell a crappy movie still costs like $11 plus tax. If you look at it , if you are paying $11 for a crappy 90 movie that you can pretty much see any day you want, how much is a possible 3 hour Pearl Jam concert worth to you if you can see it maybe one night a year.
  • Options
    voodoopug wrote:

2003 - United Center front row at "B" Stage "$350" plus TM fees plus $100 annual fan club membership

Are you saying the Rolling Stones fan club is $100 a YEAR?!
    It's an art to live with pain...mix the light into grey..

9.28.96, 9.8.98, 8.24.00, 8.27.00, 8.29.00, 7.2.03, 7.3.03, 7.9.03, 7.11.03, 9.28.04, 5.1.06, 5.13.06, 5.31.06, 6.1.06, 6.3.06, 6.24.08, 6.25.08, 6.27.08, 6.28.08, 6.30.08
  • Options
    Are you saying the Rolling Stones fan club is $100 a YEAR?!

Yes.....but you do get a hat (cheap and ugly) and a DVD (usually 3 years later).

Also, since the first few shows in 2005, the fan club ticket allotment does not feature many close seats.
    There's Pearl Jam, The Rolling Stones, Chuck Berry, Robert Johnson......and then everybody else.
  • Options
    voodoopug wrote:
    I don't want to hear it....as a Rolling Stones fan, let me tell you some stories about ticket prices (keep in mind that my wife comes with me to all shows and I purchase two tickets, these prices are per ticket):

2005 - Fenway Park - $351 4th row center opening night of tour

2005 - $163 plus fees Fenway park, 20 rows behind 1st base (Stage in Center field)

2002 - Aragon Ballroom - $950 Ticket broker General Admission

1997 - Double Door Bar (Chicago) capacity 700 people - $10 (ok, so they cannot all be expensive!)

2005 - Soldier Field - Seats built into the stage $250 each

And the list goes on and on and on

When I seen Pearl Jam tickets were less than $100 each, I was ecstatic.

Holy crap, that's mad! Mind you, the Stones have a reputation for having pricey tickets but those are just obscene. Your poor credit card must take some hammering. How can they justify that price for a fan club annual membership? What do you get included in that?

• Options
    Gen wrote:
    Holy crap, that's mad! Mind you, the Stones have a reputation for having pricey tickets but those are just obscene. Your poor credit card must take some hammering. How can they justify that price for a fan club annual membership? What do you get included in that?

The only reason I continue to pay the fan club fee is because I was one of the original members, and I get first dibs at theater shows when they play them. When I was younger (1997-1999) and in college, my cc took a pounding. Thankfully, I have been very fortunate to have been very successful in my professional career and have a bit more disposable income (proud to say that I haven't paid a penny in interest in about 8 years other than my mortgage).

The best answer is probably the one my wife gives: She thinks I have a screw loose.
  • Options
    voodoopug wrote:
    The only reason I continue to pay the fan club fee is because I was one of the original members, and I get first dibs at theater shows when they play them. When I was younger (1997-1999) and in college, my cc took a pounding. Thankfully, I have been very fortunate to have been very successful in my professional career and have a bit more disposable income (proud to say that I haven't paid a penny in interest in about 8 years other than my mortgage).

The best answer is probably the one my wife gives: She thinks I have a screw loose.

Good for you (not the loose screw bit!) to be able to follow them like that, and with getting choice tickets at the smaller gigs (I guess it is all worth it in the long run). That's some dedication you have there.

• Options
    Gen wrote:
    Good for you (not the loose screw bit!) to be able to follow them like that, and with getting choice tickets at the smaller gigs (I guess it is all worth it in the long run). That's some dedication you have there.

With that dedication comes a price....sometimes I wish I had it back. (especially sitting in 30 degree and rain/snow in October of 2006 watching Keith Richards hands freeze so much that he couldn't play the intro to Midnight Rambler and had to depend on Ronnie Wood to play it.

Thanks for the nice comments, but even I can see that what I do with regards to the Stones is ridiculous.......but it was like the stars were alligned in 2005 PNC Park when Pearl Jam opened and Eddie joined the Stones for "Wild Horses" Eddie is also featured on the stones newest DVD release.
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    As long as they don't go over $120 each, you will never hear a complaint from me.
  • Options
    Jason P wrote:
    As long as they don't go over $120 each, you will never hear a complaint from me.

There are hundreds of members of this board that would probably start several small fires if this were the case! I'd be happy though as it would mean a closer seat for me as I cannot see the ten club not revoking memberships for fire
  • Options
    Kel VarnsenKel Varnsen Posts: 1,951
    Jason P wrote:

I sort of agree with you. I mean in reality how many more tours do you think the band has left in them?
  • Options
    jbalicki10jbalicki10 Posts: 517
    suppafreak wrote:

Yes, many times. They do give a great show for the money. I am talking about bands in general. PJ is not the norm.
  • Options
    SPALMASPALMA Posts: 2,279
    Just saw Jackson Browne Acoustic in a small venue in Florida and paid $77.00. Even though he played almost 3 hours too I still think PJ is a great deal.
    "I don't want to hear any splatty tongues!"
    J.M., Jr. High Band Teacher

I raise my Freak Flag High!!
  • Options
    pistol3pistol3 CO Posts: 159
    I don't give a shit, I would pay $200 to see Pearl Jam if that's what it came down to, and I would overdraw my account if I had too. Why the hell is Madonna mentioned on this site? George Michael? Garbage music, that's all that crap is. This thread should get the ax.
    VA Beach 8/3/00, Council Bluffs 6/13/03, St. Paul 6/16/03, East Troy 6/21/03, The Gorge 7/22/06, 7/23/06, Chicago 8/23/09, KC 5/3/10, St. Louis 5/4/10, Dublin 6/22/10, Belfast 6/23/10, London 6/25/10, EV Minneapolis 7/2/11, EV Tulsa 11/18/12, Chicago 7/19/13, OKC 11/16/13, Phoenix 11/19/13, Pemberton 7/17/16, Missoula 8/13/18, San Diego 5/3/22, Denver 9/22/22, Sacramento 5/13/24, LA 5/21/24
  • Options
    FiveB247xFiveB247x Posts: 2,330
    The way I always see it is as such: my favorite band roughly tours every 2 yrs or so. So if I can, I'll try and go to several shows. Obviously where they play determines how much I'll see them cause there's only so much you can spend on travel and such. This tour I'm going to 4 shows (roughly $300 in tickets). To do that every 2 yrs isn't the end of the world to me and well worth it. Yes I'm spoiled cause I'm on the east coast, where PJ plays more frequently than some other places, but it is what it is. I've traveled several places to see them, so it's not as if everyone solely seems them in their backyard (so to speak).

To me it's quite silly to bitch and complain about how ridiculous ticket prices are or that they only play cities where the demand is extremely high (no south). Most people have become too accustomed and too spoiled by PJ's prior appreciation and willingness to bend over backwards to help their fanbase (which they still do a ton!!) I don't think ticket prices are outrageous by any means and people need to realize that what they're asking probably is a modest amount considering they could get a lot more.
    CONservative governMENt

Our government is the potent, the omnipresent teacher. For good or for ill, it teaches the whole people by its example. Crime is contagious. If the government becomes a law-breaker, it breeds contempt for law; it invites every man to become a law unto himself; it invites anarchy. - Louis Brandeis
  • Options
    I'd probably pay up to about $500 per ticket before I'd have to give serious consideration to not going.

While I don't care for Madonna, she is a marketing genius who knows how to sell herself.

George Michael I couldn't care less for.