Options

Shipping Up to Boston

AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
edited June 2008 in The Porch
Hey guys, my girlfriend and I are flying into NYC this weekend, and will be renting a car in Manhattan on Monday morning en route to Boston for Mansfield II.
We're planning on getting out of the city pretty early so that we can make the most of the day and potentially hit a beach along the way in Rhode Island (i.e. New London, Westerly area), or prior to the show somewhere on the coast leading down to the Cape (i.e. Quincy, Cohasset, Scituate area).

Does anyone have any recommendations of good beaches in these areas? Appreciate any feedback you can afford, as we're relatively unfamiliar with the area.

As for those who are heading to MSG tonight, enjoy the experience. The garden will truly be electric - be good to each other.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    QubeQube Posts: 44
    Two of my favorite RI beaches: Charlestown (from the state park not the town beach...follow signs to the breachway)...or try East Beach (same area but other side of the breachway (...just as nice) and Narragansett (Town Beach). There will be a fee for the charlestown (~$10). There is a lso a fee for Narragansett, but you'll find street parking if its during the week. Charlestown beach will be empty, but narragansett has more of a town and a scene (though minimal)

If you'd like to try your hand at fishing, go to charlestown, you can rent a rod at the bait shop on the way to the breachway.
  • Options
    HoochHooch Posts: 37
    Westerly is great (Misquamicut Beach) - Watch Hill is really nice, right on the CT border. Newport is a place you can spend the day at the beach and party at night (or day).

Try http://www.popkitchenandcocktails.com, one of my favorites.

Really most of the RI beaches are great. When in MA you'll want either way south of Boston (i.e. - Westport, Cape Cod, or South Shore - Duxbury, Nantasket, Scituate, others) or north of Boston (Marblehead, Swampscott, Rockport, etc...)

You don't want Quincy or Boston Beaches.
    Been to lots of shows. I love shows...
  • Options
    HoochHooch Posts: 37
    Qube wrote:
    Two of my favorite RI beaches: Charlestown (from the state park not the town beach...follow signs to the breachway)...or try East Beach (same area but other side of the breachway (...just as nice) and Narragansett (Town Beach). There will be a fee for the charlestown (~$10). There is a lso a fee for Narragansett, but you'll find street parking if its during the week. Charlestown beach will be empty, but narragansett has more of a town and a scene (though minimal)

If you'd like to try your hand at fishing, go to charlestown, you can rent a rod at the bait shop on the way to the breachway.

Is Charlestown also Jerusalem beach or is that another one? I remember being at Jerusalem beach and thinking it was just an amazing strech of beach...
    Been to lots of shows. I love shows...
  • Options
    AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    You guys are great - really appreciate it
  • Options
    QubeQube Posts: 44
    Jerusalem Beach?...not sure but i've seen the signs for it off of rt 1. but i've never been there. i know it's on the same stretch. most of my beach trips try to chase the fish....i get bored in the sand, and i know there are fish in charlestown
  • Options
    riffrandallriffrandall Posts: 685
    If you can afford it, take a day trip out to Block Island. The beaches there are the best in the state.
    If not, I'd go with East Matunuck State Beach. That's my personal favorite, and during the week it should be pretty dreamy.
    "If you're looking for someone to pull you out of that ditch, you're out of luck."