Options

Reason for Guaranteed being shutout in new EW

Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
edited January 2008 in The Porch
Short little article in Entertainment Weekly on both Ed and Greenwood being shutout for Oscars. Heres the Vedder part:

Vedders Into the Wild song, "Guaranteed", meanwhile, may have suffered since, according to Academy rules, Paramount Vantage had to send music-branch voters a video clip of its use in the movie. Problem is, the song only plays in its entirety over the end credits- its use in the film consists of several instances of Vedder humming. Then again, what chance did even the non-mumbled version have against Enchanted's deliberately hokey "Happy Working Song"?

What is with some people saying that he mumbles on songs?
And so you see, I have come to doubt
All that I once held as true
I stand alone without beliefs
The only truth I know is you.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Mrs.Vedder78Mrs.Vedder78 Posts: 4,585
    Short little article in Entertainment Weekly on both Ed and Greenwood being shutout for Oscars. Heres the Vedder part:

Vedders Into the Wild song, "Guaranteed", meanwhile, may have suffered since, according to Academy rules, Paramount Vantage had to send music-branch voters a video clip of its use in the movie. Problem is, the song only plays in its entirety over the end credits- its use in the film consists of several instances of Vedder humming. Then again, what chance did even the non-mumbled version have against Enchanted's deliberately hokey "Happy Working Song"?

Ed mumbles? Never hear that before :p

And that its only on the credits part... hmm sounds off to me because at the end of the movie right before the credits start, the last shot of Emile has the song over that if I'm not mistaken, maybe it was to short of a clip?
    The Oscars suck anyway....
    "Without the album covers, where do you clean your pot?" - EV
  • Options

They say "the non-mumbled version", which makes me think that they're just confusing humming with mumbling.
    Smokey Robinson constantly looks like he's trying to act natural after being accused of farting.
  • Options
    vedderfan10vedderfan10 Posts: 2,497
    Ed mumbles? Never hear that before :p

And that its only on the credits part... hmm sounds off to me because at the end of the movie right before the credits start, the last shot of Emile has the song over that if I'm not mistaken, maybe it was to short of a clip?
    The Oscars suck anyway....

It's the instrumental "Hard Sun" that plays at the end of the movie and over the first part of the credits...then "Guaranteed" comes on ....
    be philanthropic
  • Options
    It's the instrumental "Hard Sun" that plays at the end of the movie and over the first part of the credits...then "Guaranteed" comes on ....

You are right.... thanks.
  • Options
    i actually see the academys point there... the idea is kindof about how the song interacts and impacts the movie... if its not ACTUALLY in the movie then it seems kindof fair... i mean there were still plenty of incredible songs that couldve been considered by those standards tho... eddie knows people love his work either way... and if he is all upset about it then atleast he can understand there was reasoning behind the decision
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/
  • Options
    That is some really stupid reasoning. The song played throughout the movie, period. Humming or no humming, it was the same song and it was a large part of the films soundtrack. Though the award doesn't matter much, it's still pissing me off a bit.
  • Options
    Havent seen the movie yet, but question: Is there any parts in the movie where any of the songs play in the background of a scene, or is it all in the end of the movie, a la Big Fish.
  • Options
    Havent seen the movie yet, but question: Is there any parts in the movie where any of the songs play in the background of a scene, or is it all in the end of the movie, a la Big Fish.

Most of the songs play throughout the movie. Everytime I hear Hard Sun, Long Nights, Society and No Ceiling specific parts of the movie come to mind...
    I only saw it one time at the theater and I have pre-ordered the DVD but I wont get to see it til March ... its a wonderful movie and the music fits it perfectly....

The part where The Wolf plays is hauntin'.. the scenery is just so beautiful...
  • Options
    The part where The Wolf plays is hauntin'.. the scenery is just so beautiful...
    agreed! my favorite part of the movie! vedders voice literally ripped through me with the theater sound system! cant wait for that one on vinyl! especially since its extended!
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/
  • Options
    OK cool. Cant wait to see it.
  • Options
    slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,757

No. There's no music whatsoever in the film, just 45 of minutes of songs playing over the credits. ;)
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • Options
    slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,757
    sgossard3 wrote:
    vedders voice literally ripped through me with the theater sound system!

Literally? Because if something literally ripped through you, you'd probably be dead. Good to hear you recovered.
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • Options
    rriversrrivers Posts: 3,687
    So "Man of the Hour" must not have been eligible either because it played over the credits.

To show how insane the Academy is, in the same Entertainment Weekly there is an article explaining how stupid the Academy is in dealing with the Best Foreign Language Film and it says a country can only have one movie nominated. What if there are two fantastic movies from the same country? Doesn't matter because only one will have a chance to win.

I agree with the other poster who said the Oscars are a joke, and not just because Ed wasn't nominated. I have thought this for years because in Entertainment Weekly (I subscribe, can you tell?), they always have a roundtable with a producer, actor, screenwriter, etc. and they tell who they are voting for the major categories. No names are given so they are honest. Read that when it comes out this year and you will see how much of a joke the Oscars are. Much of their reasoning comes from whether they think people should have gotten Oscars previous years. They will also mention a young actor will have plenty of time (tell that to Heath Ledger). Sometimes they will say they didn't even see one or more of the movies so they totally take that nomination out of consideration.
    "We're fixed good, lamp-wise."
  • Options
    But they did get it right in terms of nominating Hal Holbrook for BSA...which he really deserved...
    be philanthropic
  • Options
    ViggoViggo Posts: 274
    Isn't Eddie the one that said that awards doesn't mean anything? (Grammy speech for STBC)
    It's okay, It's okay
    You don't have to run and hide away
    It's okay, it's okay
    I love you anyway
    2007: Pearl Jam concert in Düsseldorf (21. June)
    2007: Chris Cornell concert in Kristiansand (2. July)
    2007: The Who concert in Kristiansand (4. July)
  • Options
    Viggo wrote:
    Isn't Eddie the one that said that awards doesn't mean anything? (Grammy speech for STBC)

Yes he did:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHEYs0CMe4U
  • Options
    I think he was referring to the Grammy and prolly didn't expect PJ to win - hence not knowing what to say...But he's certainly not that person anymore, so he probably would accept something such as an Ocsar (or even a grammy this year) as graciously as he has accepted other award more recently...Don't hold him to things he said when he was young and unaccepting of hype...
    be philanthropic
  • Options
    I think he was referring to the Grammy and prolly didn't expect PJ to win - hence not knowing what to say...But he's certainly not that person anymore, so he probably would accept something such as an Ocsar (or even a grammy this year) as graciously as he has accepted other award more recently...Don't hold him to things he said when he was young and unaccepting of hype...

I agree that he is in a different space now and would probably graciously accept these days, however, the Grammy people might still hold a grudge.
  • Options
    RicsardRicsard Posts: 1,942
    Golden Globe is more precious award. I don't care if he does not win an Oscar.
    budapest.arnhem.antwerpen.vienna.madrid.katowice.nova_rock.nijmegen.rotterdam.berlin.dublin.belfast.london.venice.prague.stockholm.copenhagen.vienna.leeds.milton_keynes.padova.
    prague.seattle1.seattle2.chicago1
  • Options
    ZosoZoso Posts: 6,425
    I'm sure he won't lose sleep over it.
    I'm just flying around the other side of the world to say I love you

Sha la la la i'm in love with a jersey girl

I love you forever and forever :)

Adel 03 Melb 1 03 LA 2 06 Santa Barbara 06 Gorge 1 06 Gorge 2 06 Adel 1 06 Adel 2 06 Camden 1 08 Camden 2 08 Washington DC 08 Hartford 08
  • Options
    ViggoViggo Posts: 274
    I still think Eddie has no problem whatsoever for not winning Oscars. As he said, there are to many bands. Music is subjective.

The other awards you are referring to have not so much to do with the music. He got an award for the Environmentalist of the year. He said he got an award for something obvious. People shouldn't get awards for being conscience about the climate.

I would certainly give an F if I won or not. (I can't believe that a group of individuals decide the best song of the year...)
    It's okay, It's okay
    You don't have to run and hide away
    It's okay, it's okay
    I love you anyway
    2007: Pearl Jam concert in Düsseldorf (21. June)
    2007: Chris Cornell concert in Kristiansand (2. July)
    2007: The Who concert in Kristiansand (4. July)
  • Options
    But they did get it right in terms of nominating Hal Holbrook for BSA...which he really deserved...

I wasn't that impressed with Holbrook. He did an ok job, but nothing spectacular. Plus he was only in the movie five minutes or so.

Hirsch, Vedder, and Penn's directing should have been nominated ahead of Holbrook.
  • Options
    bdgavinbdgavin Posts: 123
    I thought that was a pretty insightful point in EW. I too was disappointed when I saw Into the Wild and didn't hear Guaranteed until the credits. The song should have been used at the end of the film when they showed a picture of the real Chris. Instead, Penn went with Hard Sun. Using Guaranteed would have been more beautiful and poignant at that part of the film.
  • Options

Is this the current EW? Who is on the cover? thanks...
    I thought I thought the world
    turns out the world thought me
  • Options
    Is this the current EW? Who is on the cover? thanks...

Heath Ledger.
  • Options
    bazzerbazzer Posts: 3,088
    bdgavin wrote:
    I thought that was a pretty insightful point in EW. I too was disappointed when I saw Into the Wild and didn't hear Guaranteed until the credits. The song should have been used at the end of the film when they showed a picture of the real Chris. Instead, Penn went with Hard Sun. Using Guaranteed would have been more beautiful and poignant at that part of the film.
    But he died looking up at the "big hard sun". I thought it was perfect. Too obvious a song choice for you?