Options

The Very First EV Solo Concert?

pleathermanpleatherman Posts: 470
edited January 2010 in The Porch
My geek levels run especially high when it comes to PJ-related trivia. I thought I would turn to my fellow affionados to help come up with the definitive answer to my question. What I'm looking for is the event that marked the very first concert of Ed's that was exclusively his and contained an entire set. That immediately eliminates any pearl jam pre-show performances. All benefit concerts Eddie was a part of, even the full-sets played in '02, are also out of the running. Plus, any shows he performed with a backing band, such as 12/04/96 and my favorite- 6/26/99, are excluded as well. So now that's established, what is the earliest "pure" solo concert? This is what I've managed to come up with:
Vedder1.jpg

3/24/08 at Kenyon Hall, Seattle. Tickets were sold at Easy Street Records for $5, billed only as a screening for "Into the Wild", actually served as a warm-up gig for Vedder's "April Fools' Tour". Only 150 people in attendance at a community hall. Seems the perfect venue to make his solo debut.
How about it? What am I missing? Ed's a sneaky one who is adapt at flying under the radar. Perhaps a skate park in the early '90s. Or some coffee shop in the late '80s. Whatever it is, it's gotta be one of the most significant experiences in his musical career and, therefore, should be included in any respectable pearl jam timeline.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    jets521jets521 Posts: 804
    didnt he perform solo at the Tibet Freedom Concert?

when the two "fans" joined him onstage
    Wachovia Center, Philadelphia - 10/3/05
    Tweeter Center, Camden - 5/27/06
    Verizon Center, Wash. DC - 5/30/06
    Bonnaroo, Manchester, TN - 6/14/08
    Madison Square Garden, NYC - 6/19/08
    Spectrum, Philadelphia - 10/28/09
    Spectrum, Philadelphia - 10/30/09
    Spectrum, Philadelphia - 10/31/09
    Madison Square Garden, NYC - 5/21/10
    Wells Fargo Center, Philadelphia - 10/21/13
    1st Mariner Arena, Baltimore - 10/27/13
    Wells Fargo Center, Philadelphia - 4/28/16
    Enterprise Center, Saint Louis - 9/18/22
  • Options
    given2fly23given2fly23 Evanston, IL Posts: 5,892
    jets521 wrote:
    didnt he perform solo at the Tibet Freedom Concert?

when the two "fans" joined him onstage

"Plus, any shows he performed with a backing band, such as 12/04/96 and my favorite- 6/26/99, are excluded as well."
    Found: Soundgarden Hyde Park DVD (Thank you for the gift!)
    Posters for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/117469/posters-for-sale
    T-Shirts for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/149289/pj-t-shirt-trade-or-sale
  • Options
    jets521jets521 Posts: 804
    ahh got it.

i didnt know the date
    Wachovia Center, Philadelphia - 10/3/05
    Tweeter Center, Camden - 5/27/06
    Verizon Center, Wash. DC - 5/30/06
    Bonnaroo, Manchester, TN - 6/14/08
    Madison Square Garden, NYC - 6/19/08
    Spectrum, Philadelphia - 10/28/09
    Spectrum, Philadelphia - 10/30/09
    Spectrum, Philadelphia - 10/31/09
    Madison Square Garden, NYC - 5/21/10
    Wells Fargo Center, Philadelphia - 10/21/13
    1st Mariner Arena, Baltimore - 10/27/13
    Wells Fargo Center, Philadelphia - 4/28/16
    Enterprise Center, Saint Louis - 9/18/22
  • Options
    lurkinlurkin Posts: 77
    How about All Tomorrow's Parties - March 15, 2002 - UCLA - Royce Hall - I think the 1st time Ed busted out all his ukelele songs. Only thing that might disqualify this show using your parameters...a young man on a violin accompanied Ed on either 1 or 2 songs at the end.

Event was put on by Sonic Youth that year, so many cool artists involved. 4 nites & 3 days of heaven.
    Thanks Eduardo for being the lure that yielded so much more.
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,991
    Checking out http://db.etree.org/bs_d.php?artist_key=547 & searching over @ http://www.fivehorizons.com/ .. yep, the 3/24/08 is the first ever solo show performance, done by our friend, Ed!
  • Options
    darthvedderdarthvedder Posts: 2,485
    01/23/93 – Palladium: Hollywood, CA (acoustic) (Rock for Choice) [10m]
    set: Improv/Porch, Homeless, Throw Your Arms Around Me
    notes: Ed only appeared at this 20th anniversary of the Roe vs. Wade decision. Other acts included Screaming Trees, 7 Year Bitch and Green Apple Quick Step.

Your parameters are ridiculous, btw.
  • Options
    Niko80Niko80 Posts: 1,564
    Eddie also opened for Supersuckers in Amsterdam in 1996 all by himself.
    I will swallow poison
  • Options
    Niko80 wrote:

Are you sure you don't mean The Fastbacks?!

In which case he wasn't all by himself because Mike Mussberger & Kurt Bloch from The Fastbacks were his backing band.
    93: Slane
    96: Cork, Dublin
    00: Dublin
    06: London, Dublin
    07: London, Copenhagen, Nijmegen
    09: Manchester, London
    10: Dublin, Belfast, London & Berlin
    11: San José
    12: Isle of Wight, Copenhagen, Ed in Manchester & London x2
  • Options
    My geek levels run especially high when it comes to PJ-related trivia. I thought I would turn to my fellow affionados to help come up with the definitive answer to my question. What I'm looking for is the event that marked the very first concert of Ed's that was exclusively his and contained an entire set. That immediately eliminates any pearl jam pre-show performances. All benefit concerts Eddie was a part of, even the full-sets played in '02, are also out of the running. Plus, any shows he performed with a backing band, such as 12/04/96 and my favorite- 6/26/99, are excluded as well. So now that's established, what is the earliest "pure" solo concert? This is what I've managed to come up with:
    Vedder1.jpg

3/24/08 at Kenyon Hall, Seattle. Tickets were sold at Easy Street Records for $5, billed only as a screening for "Into the Wild", actually served as a warm-up gig for Vedder's "April Fools' Tour". Only 150 people in attendance at a community hall. Seems the perfect venue to make his solo debut.
    How about it? What am I missing? Ed's a sneaky one who is adapt at flying under the radar. Perhaps a skate park in the early '90s. Or some coffee shop in the late '80s. Whatever it is, it's gotta be one of the most significant experiences in his musical career and, therefore, should be included in any respectable pearl jam timeline.

I don't know, but its a great fuckin' poster!!!
    Dublin '96, '00, '06, '10
    Lisbon '06 (x2)
    Katowice '07
    London '07 '09 (x2), '10
    MSG NY '08 (x2)
    Manchester '09 '12
    Belfast '10
    PJ20 Alpine '11 (x2)
    Leeds '14
  • Options
    Niko80Niko80 Posts: 1,564
    Niko80 wrote:

Are you sure you don't mean The Fastbacks?!

In which case he wasn't all by himself because Mike Mussberger & Kurt Bloch from The Fastbacks were his backing band.

You are right.. I knew something wasnt quite right when I wrote that post.. Thanks for the correction.
    I will swallow poison
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,991
    notes: Ed only appeared at this 20th anniversary of the Roe vs. Wade decision. Other acts included Screaming Trees, 7 Year Bitch and Green Apple Quick Step.

Wouldn't this be under benefit via Rock For Choice?
  • Options
    loadedgunloadedgun Indiana Posts: 1,383
    Is there anywhere that one could find downloadable versions of any of these songs?
    Midwest. Indy/Lafayette.
  • Options
    I'm gonna have to go with the ATP performance as the first Eddie solo gig. It was a full set with mostly originals, many of which hadn't been performed as a pj song before.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    demetrios wrote:

Wouldn't this be under benefit via Rock For Choice?

Seems like it was a benefit and only a few songs. I can't believe he played the Bad Radio song, though. Pretty cool! I really appreciate everyone looking for this. I don't think these parameters are ridiculous. Just looking for the first Eddie Vedder concert, that's all. Not the first Eddie with C Average, or a benefit/festival he took part in among other artists. In that sense, it is a simple question. Imagine if there was a marquee for the show. If it stated, for example, "All Tomorrow's Parties" then I wouldn't consider it Eddie's show. On the other hand a special guest, like Liam Finn playing on a couple numbers, is no problem.

Here's something I was thinking the other day. Way back in 1988, Eddie made a couple solo demos on his four track. He supposedly made an effort to get those heard by record labels. The idea of having a solo career was, at that point, a very realistic venture for him. Twenty years later, he finally took that leap.
    Post edited by pleatherman on
  • Options
    CranMalReignCranMalReign Posts: 1,928
    I also think we should exclude all performances that were on a Tuesday, cuz Tuesday's suck. Also, any performance where he was solo, but perhaps sporting boxers with hearts on them also should be stricken from consideration. Furthermore, any shows where the crowd sang along, since that's supporting, are also not to be considered. Any help out there?

:D
    • 98 Pgh
    • 00 Pgh
    • 03 Pgh|Philly|PSU|Camden 1+2|Hershey
    • 04 Boston 1|Reading
    • 05 Philly
    • 06 Camden 1+2|Pgh
    • 08 Camden 1+2|Hartford|Mansfield 2
    • 09 Philly 1 [EV]|Toronto|Spectrum 1-4
    • 10 Cleveland|Buffalo
    • 11 Philly [EV]|PJ20
    • 12 Philly
    • 13 London|Pgh|Buff|Philly 1+2|Balt
    • 14 Cincy|StL
    • 16 Philly 1+2|Philly 2 [TotD]
    • 18 Boston 1+2
  • Options
    I'm gonna have to go with the ATP performance as the first Eddie solo gig. It was a full set with mostly originals, many of which hadn't been performed as a pj song before.

02/26/02 – Wiltern Theatre: Los Angeles, CA (Concert for Artists’ Rights)
    attendance: 2400
    also on bill: Mike Ness, Beck
    set: If It’s Monday Morning [Lee Hazelwood cover, with Beck and Mike Ness], Drifting, You’ve Got To Hide Your Love Away, Dead Man, Parting Ways, Can’t Keep [new song - uke], You’re True [new song - uke], I Am Mine [slightly different lyrics], Thumbing My Way [new song - guitar], Broken Hearted [new song - uke], Sleepless Nights [Everly Bros. cover w/Beck]
    Ed and Mike McCready come on later with Mike Ness to perform ‘Ball and Chain’ (by Social D)
    Ed with Beck: Little Hands [Skip Spence (Moby Grape) cover, EV on guitar and vox], Evil Things [vox only]

This benefit show preceded the ATP performance by a few weeks. Playing these uke songs, more than anything until 'Into the Wild', established Eddie as a solo artist. When will that album finally be released, we all wonder?
  • Options
    set: If It’s Monday Morning [Lee Hazelwood cover, with Beck and Mike Ness], Drifting, You’ve Got To Hide Your Love Away, Dead Man, Parting Ways, Can’t Keep [new song - uke], You’re True [new song - uke], I Am Mine [slightly different lyrics], Thumbing My Way [new song - guitar], Broken Hearted [new song - uke], Sleepless Nights [Everly Bros. cover w/Beck]
    Ed and Mike McCready come on later with Mike Ness to perform ‘Ball and Chain’ (by Social D)
    Ed with Beck: Little Hands [Skip Spence (Moby Grape) cover, EV on guitar and vox], Evil Things [vox only]

This benefit show preceded the ATP performance by a few weeks. Playing these uke songs, more than anything until 'Into the Wild', established Eddie as a solo artist. When will that album finally be released, we all wonder?

This is what I would say is the first of the Ed solo shows. It's a lengthy set, and the first one in the same style as his solo tour - just Ed with a guitar / uke. Plus he played a ton of songs that he played regularly on his recent solo jaunts. I don't really see why being a benefit concert disqualifies it...
    Download the unofficial <a href="http://bit.ly/PJStatTracker">Pearl Jam Stat Tracker</a> app for iPhone/iPad. It's <em>FREE.</em>

PM me with any comments or suggestions for the app - or weigh in <a href="http://forums.pearljam.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=167611
    ">here</a>.
    or
    <a href="http://www.facebook.com/pjstattracker">Join the discussion on facebook</a>

• Options
    edited January 2010

This is what I would say is the first of the Ed solo shows. It's a lengthy set, and the first one in the same style as his solo tour - just Ed with a guitar / uke. Plus he played a ton of songs that he played regularly on his recent solo jaunts. I don't really see why being a benefit concert disqualifies it...

This set represents the first appearance of the type of shows seen and heard on his solo tours (minus Into the Wild, of course). That makes it rather significant. Maybe it doesn't matter this show was co-headlined with Beck and Mike Ness. Maybe I just like to look at my Kenyon Hall poster and think, this is the very first Vedder-only gig! I like the idea of him putting on his own show for the first time. It's one of those watershed moments.
  • Options

This set represents the first appearance of the type of shows seen and heard on his solo tours (minus Into the Wild, of course). That makes it rather significant. Maybe it doesn't matter this show was co-headlined with Beck and Mike Ness. Maybe I just like to look at my Kenyon Hall poster and think, this is the very first Vedder-only gig! I really need to get that framed.

Well, the Kenyon Hall poster sure beats the hell out of the Concert for Artists' Rights poster from that night, so at least you have that.
    Download the unofficial <a href="http://bit.ly/PJStatTracker">Pearl Jam Stat Tracker</a> app for iPhone/iPad. It's <em>FREE.</em>

PM me with any comments or suggestions for the app - or weigh in <a href="http://forums.pearljam.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=167611
    ">here</a>.
    or
    <a href="http://www.facebook.com/pjstattracker">Join the discussion on facebook</a>

• Options
    The only way to settle this is to go to the source and ask Ed. He'll probably tell us it was at some block party in '83. Then we must demand to have the bootleg!
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    01/26/02 – Spin Alley Bowling Center: Shoreline, WA.
    Two sets for this concert. The second, an electric one with C Average. However, the first entire set is performed solo and features the premiere of one of the songs from his unreleased uke album. I might have to make an exception. Besides the only thing cooler than having a community center (Kenyon Hall) as the setting for the very first EV solo concert, is a bowling alley! Do we have a winner?
    Here is more info from fivehorizons.com
    attendance: 150
    set: [solo acoustic] Heaven (Talking Heads), Drifting, You've Got to Hide Your Love Away, Last Kiss, Satellite (new), Elderly Woman, I Don't Wanna Grow Up (Tom Waits), Better Man, Happy Birthday (to Rob Glaser)
    [electric set] Watch Outside, Running Out of Time, Driven to Tears, Love -> Building on Fire, Corduroy, The Kids Are Alright, Soldier of Love, Against the 70s, I Don't Wanna Grow Up (Tom Waits)
    notes: On the occasion of Rob Glaser's (CEO of Real Networks) 40th birthday, Ed performs a solo acoustic set, including a new song, followed by a set with C-Average. Inside sources report the following: "Ed and Rob Glaser are good friends, going back to their mutual involvement in the West Memphis Three case. Ed sang the entire set alone first, with Jon and Brad of C-Average joining him later ... at which point he invited everyone to commence bowling as he said: 'You guys can keep bowling, but I'm just going to play a few more songs, if you don't mind.' Ed also sang 'happy birthday' to Rob and gave Rob the ukulele. He was wearing jeans, a tan shirt and a fedora, he said when Ed took the fedora off he had like a mohawk or something that resembled it. It was originally only supposed to be one set but it ended up being two."
  • Options
    guypjfreakguypjfreak Posts: 2,281
    Vedder1.jpg

I don't know, but its a great fuckin' poster!!!
    absolutely fu..ing agree old son i want :mrgreen: