10-11-2000, St Louis

Drop The Leash 10Drop The Leash 10 Posts: 7,011
edited November 2009 in The Porch
man i cant stop listening to this show... the band is so on..

10/11/00 – Riverport Amphitheatre: Maryland Heights, MO
attendance: 20,000
support act: Supergrass
soundcheck: U, Sonic Reducer
set: Of the Girl, Go, Hail Hail, Brain of J, Insignificance, Whipping, Light Years, State of Love and Trust, Given to Fly, Animal, Elderly Woman, Wishlist, In My Tree, Even Flow, Daughter, Better Man, Footsteps, Rearviewmirror
enc 1: Breakerfall, U , Do the Evolution, Porch, Parting Ways
enc 2: Sonic Reducer, Last Kiss, Yellow Ledbetter
notes: “We’re in no hurry to leave,” Ed assures the crowd after ‘Of the Girl.’ ‘Hail Hail’ features the rapid clapping during the bridge that Ed was so fond of in 98. During ‘Daughter,’ Ed is so into the vocalization he is doing during the tag zone (singing melodies at the crowd and letting them sing it back) that he loses his balance, falls over backward, and twists his ankle. This changes the dynamic of the show in that it’s clearly hurting him and he’s limited to how he can move around onstage (limping and hopping, not kidding). “The last song is about the whole world being different, the next song is about how hard it is to change things,” intros a powerful version of ‘Insignificance.’ ‘Whipping’ features Mike playing the guitar bending over, one arm through his leg, and Ed finishing up with a lovely PT windmill. At the end of ‘State,’ Ed notices the sign language interpreter (Kim) who was working at the side of the stage, signing the songs to the audience. He goes over, pulls her up from the security pit to the stage, and has a brief chat. “I’m curious what the next song sounds — I mean, looks like,” and it’s ‘GTF.’ Ed then adds to the interpretation with his own visual interpretations. At the end of the song, he moves over to the interpreter and dances with her as the song closes. Ed lets the crowd sing the last chorus of ‘Animal.’ Another killer version of ‘RVM.’ First encore, Ed tells us they’re going to try something that hasn’t been done before – “It’s actually a Prince song,” he jokes, as we are treated to the world premiere version of ‘U.’ After ‘Porch,’ Ed proceeds to inform the audience that the Cardinals won, mass pandemonium ensures. He then tells the crowd that he was lying, they actually lost, and weren’t they glad they were here instead. Also some chat about the debates, and the obligatory Nader chat, and “Thanks for letting us mention that.” “The next song is *not* called ‘Maggot Brain’,” intros ‘Sonic Reducer’ and is in referenced to one of many in a sea of request signs.
I will be what i could be
Once I get out of this town

9/29/04;6/27/08;6/30/08;8/23/09;08/24/09;5/17/10
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Very cool. I'll have to track down that boot one of these days. The Kim/"Given to Fly" episode was documented in the Touring Band 2000 DVD, for those who haven't seen that tour video. Speaking of which, I was reading about PJ's ACL appearance at Chart Attack, which led me to an article about Nirvana, which led me to an article talking about Jon Bon Jovi talking about Kurt Cobain, which led me to a couple of articles about Nickelback - do you see how this run-on sentence is degenerating? -

Anyhow, there was an embedded video of a Fivecentposterior concert in St. Louis, where the lead singer notices a sign language interpreter. http://www.chartattack.com/news/74251/c ... nterpreter or http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9qYKmxtEIc or take my word for it because who wants to click the link, really? :P Could this be Kim...nine years later? (I don't know where my TB2K DVD is to compare faces.) (Never mind the gimmicky merch cannons mentioned at the end. :roll:) This reminds me of that one South Park episode, where one of the characters kept on saying, "The Simpsons did it first!"

In this case, Pearl Jam did it first. :lol: (Okay, Kim the St. Louis interpreter probably gets that sort of attention all the time, but still...)
    Ryan DeRamos
    saw PJ live in 2006 and 2009; Stone in 2008!
    <a href="http://www.deramos.org">DeRamos.org Webcomic</a> & <a href="http://www.chorddujour.com">Chord du Jour Podcast</a> & <a href="http://twitter.com/deramos">Twitter</a&gt;
  • HeavyHandsHeavyHands Posts: 2,130
    That is a hell of a setlist.
    "A lot more people are capable of being big out there that just don't give themselves a chance." -Stone Gossard
  • That is one of my favorite boots! Bought it back when it came out ('01, I think?) and have always loved that version of "Of the Girl" - Mike rips off a short and sweet killer guitar solo right after Ed sings the first verse. I've never heard him tear it up on that song quite like that in other performances. It was awesome!!!!!!

Yeah, just a great show all around with a really cool vibe and interesting setlist.

Maybe it's nostalgia (I'm sure it is :D ) but I really love the Binaural official boots. There was something so exciting back at that time about being able to go to my local record store or even Best Buy or wherever and find a huge stack of Pearl Jam boots filed under "Pearl Jam". It was just a great time for the band, so exciting and new to have so many official live releases to chose from for the first time! The 2000 tour was just fantastic, also, so the boots are uniformly incredible.
  • veddertownveddertown Posts: 5,260
    Love this boot too. I have another St. Louis boot from 98 I think which was another great show. East coast 2000 was a good leg for classic boots. Philly, Boston, Jones Beach.... Picking these up from a record store was a dream.
    Like a book among the many on a shelf...

Dublin 02 Arena - 22/6/10. Belfast Odyssey Arena - 23/6/10. London Hyde Park - 25/6/10. Berlin Wuhlheide - 30/6/10.
    Manchester MEN - 20/06/12. Manchester MEN - 21/06/12
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,239
    listen just before "U" for "yeah jeff." that's me and my friend in the front row freaking out. you can also see us in TB 2000 jumping around during GTF.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • The P.T.The P.T. Posts: 141
    One of my favorite shows I've been to. This is the show where I picked up my fan club tickets, found out my best friends were actually going to be there when they thought they weren't, then went to the ticket line and traded my tickets for lawn tickets with some guy and his wife.

They got to be up close, and I had one of my favorite experiences at a concert... on the lawn with my friends! It doesn't matter where you sit at a PJ show!
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,239
    The P.T. wrote:
    One of my favorite shows I've been to. This is the show where I picked up my fan club tickets, found out my best friends were actually going to be there when they thought they weren't, then went to the ticket line and traded my tickets for lawn tickets with some guy and his wife.

They got to be up close, and I had one of my favorite experiences at a concert... on the lawn with my friends! It doesn't matter where you sit at a PJ show!

no it sure doesn't. but fucking hell man. front row was like getting your face blasted off with sound. i couldn't hear right for the next day after that show. i remember too i had a midterm at 8am the next morning and needless to say it was an interesting day in class. fuck! that was 9 years ago. i'm getting old!
    www.cluthelee.com
  • The P.T.The P.T. Posts: 141
    Hah yeah. I skipped class and drove 3 hours to get there that morning, turned around and drove the 3 back afterwards. Took a test the next morning at 8 or 8:30 then drove about 4 hours or so to Kansas City for the concert there that night! I was exhausted after all that.
  • andrewbandrewb Posts: 488
    This is the show that got me into the band. I was young, an older family friend was really into them and brought over a bootleg after I had told him I was getting into Nirvana (typical middle school faze). Us being from NY, he had a boot from Jones Beach. But I did not know this then, so when I went to a record store and saw a big stack of bootlegs I picked up the first one I saw, not even realizing where the show took place, thinking they were all the same. Ended up with this one. And the rest is history. The end (woman hangs herself(airplane reference))
    PJ
    6/03/06 6/24/08 6/25/08 6/28/08 8/28/09 10/30/09 10/31/09 3/13/10 5/15/10 5/18/10 5/20/10 5/21/10 9/3/11 9/4/11 9/2/12 10/18/13 10/19/13 10/25/13 10/22/14 9/26/15 5/1/16 5/2/16 8/5/16 8/7/16 8/20/16 4/7/17

Ed Ved
    8/5/08 6/12/09 6/21/11 6/22/11

Brad
    5/23/12

Soundgarden
    7/9/11 1/23/13 8/1/14

RNDM
    3/7/16
  • That boot is all the proof we need that PJ need to get back to the Lou ASAP. :D