Options

Even when you don't like the opener.....

maccimacci Posts: 1,057
edited March 2008 in The Porch
....do you still go in for Ed's pre-set??

We usually do - but most of my friends stay out & tailgate.

We'll go in for show time, grab a beer, hope to get a song from Ed, check the opening band out for a song or two....then grab a few more beers.
My lips are shaking.......
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    If I am not drinking I'll go in for the opener, but if I am drinking the extra 2 hours of $7-8 beer is just a killer.
    Boston Garden 5/25/06
    Lollapalooza 8/5/07
    Madison Square Garden 6/24/08 and 6/25/08
    Mansfield 6/30/08
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    The answers are fatal......
  • Options
    DPrival78DPrival78 CT Posts: 2,259
    i usually want to, but i end up getting too wrapped up in the tailgating/pre-gaming scenario. and next thing i know, it's 8:40.
    i'm more a fan of popular bands.. like the bee-gees, pearl jam
  • Options
    always

that's how I fell in love with My Morning Jacket
    looking for 2 to Columbia...

***GOT EM***
  • Options
    Yeah I gave MMJ a chance & liked them very much.

But....with all due respect, I do not like Sleater-Kinney & every time they would open - I would still go in for the Ed song & they walk the concourse, get a beer & check out the merch.
  • Options
    hailhail82hailhail82 Posts: 330
    Always there. But I'm usually not drinking at PJ shows. Or at least not in excess. Even before the era of frequent/almost always there presets. Plus I haven't seen a PJ opener I haven't liked on at least some level.
    5 shows in 2006 with Sonic Youth was incredible.
    Using the word "methinks" in your message board posts doesn't make you look smart.
  • Options
    Stephen FlowStephen Flow Posts: 3,327
    Yes I always go in hoping that he'll finally play Dead Man when I'm in attendance.
  • Options
    voodoopugvoodoopug Posts: 1,011
    macci wrote:

But....with all due respect, I do not like Sleater-Kinney & every time they would open - I would still go in for the Ed song & they walk the concourse, get a beer & check out the merch.

I hear Sleater-Kinney has disbanded, no?
    There's Pearl Jam, The Rolling Stones, Chuck Berry, Robert Johnson......and then everybody else.
  • Options
    i never drink at shows or before any show that isn't at a bar or small venue. a huge waste of money AND i end up having to use the bathroom way way way way too much.
  • Options
    meisteredermeistereder Posts: 1,555
    Without a doubt. I love the pre-show opener. It is one of the best parts of the show in my opinion. It adds to the anticipation and it is very cool to see Ed come out by himself when it is not very loud and sing for a few thousand of us.
    San Diego 10/25/00, Mountain View 6/1/03, Santa Barbara 10/28/03, Northwest School 3/18/05, San Diego 7/7/06, Los Angeles 7/9/06, 7/10/06, Honolulu (U2) 12/9/06, Santa Barbara (EV) 4/10/08, Los Angeles (EV) 4/12/08, Hartford 6/27/08, Mansfield 6/28/08, VH1 Rock Honors The Who 7/12/08, Seattle 9/21/09, Universal City 9/30/09, 10/1/09, 10/6/09, 10/7/09, San Diego 10/9/09, Los Angeles (EV) 7/8/11, Santa Barbara (EV) 7/9/11, Chicago 7/19/13, San Diego 11/21/13, Los Angeles 11/23/13, 11/24/13, Oakland 11/26/13, Chicago 8/22/16, Missoula 8/13/18, Boston 9/2/18, Los Angeles 2/25/22 (EV), San Diego 5/3/22, Los Angeles 5/6/22, 5/7/22, Imola 6/25/22, [Los Angeles 5/21/24], [London 6/29/24], [Boston 9/15/24]
  • Options
    voodoopug wrote:
    I hear Sleater-Kinney has disbanded, no?

I know they had, but I meant back on the 03 tour.......
  • Options
    voodoopugvoodoopug Posts: 1,011
    macci wrote:
    I know they had, but I meant back on the 03 tour.......

I remember in New Orleans the 10 Club entrance was the same entrance that Sleater Kinney was using and their guitar player was having trouble getting into the venue without a ticket...funny IMO......and as far as their music goes, I thought it was terrible.
    There's Pearl Jam, The Rolling Stones, Chuck Berry, Robert Johnson......and then everybody else.
  • Options
    thunderDANthunderDAN Posts: 2,094
    macci wrote:

yeah I really don't like Sleater-Kinney. It just sounds like screeching and shouting to me
  • Options
    Never see the opener, or pre set. I like to maximize my drinking time before the show, so i don't have to get up during and pay 8+ for drinks.

Worst concert experience was Continental I 06. Went up to get a beer about three songs in, and line is not too bad, but there is this semi-retarded black lady pouring beer and making change. I was up there for what felt like an eternity, and ended up missing four songs...All for a beer.

Thats Jersey's Finest
    BORGATA>VIC
  • Options
    AbuskedtiAbuskedti Posts: 1,917
    macci wrote:
    ....do you still go in for Ed's pre-set??

We usually do - but most of my friends stay out & tailgate.

We'll go in for show time, grab a beer, hope to get a song from Ed, check the opening band out for a song or two....then grab a few more beers.

I couldn't imagine what would be make me miss the pre-set... .but it would have to be wonderful.
  • Options
    thunderDAN wrote:
    yeah I really don't like Sleater-Kinney. It just sounds like screeching and shouting to me

They've ruined so many PJ encores for me, lol.
  • Options
    DaytimeDilemmaDaytimeDilemma Posts: 2,008
    Never see the opener, or pre set. I like to maximize my drinking time before the show, so i don't have to get up during and pay 8+ for drinks.

Worst concert experience was Continental I 06. Went up to get a beer about three songs in, and line is not too bad, but there is this semi-retarded black lady pouring beer and making change. I was up there for what felt like an eternity, and ended up missing four songs...All for a beer.

Thats Jersey's Finest

Ahahaha...

Dude weren't you using your fake then too?
  • Options
    slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,758
    always make the opening band. It's part of the ritual. You know every song the opening band plays is one step closer to PJ. Occasionally, you'll see one of the guys in the wings rocking out ... you start to get excited.

One of the best feelings in the world is that nervous energy in a place between the opening band and PJ ... every second that passes, the buzz gets a little louder ... your heart starts pumping a little faster.

and then ... the lights go down.

Yeah, I wouldn't trade that for another parking lot beer.
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • Options
    satansbedbugssatansbedbugs On Tour Posts: 2,410

Thats Jersey's Finest

And you left your seat, why?
    *Marker in the Sand Fanclub * HNIC

Philly- 2005, 2013, 2016
    Camden 2000, 2003, 2006, 2008, 2022
    Philly Spectrum 2009 x4 - We closed that MFER Down Proper
    DC- 2006, 2008
    New York- 2008, 2010
    Boston - Fenway 2016
    New Jersey- 2006
    Chicago - 2007
    Seattle- 2005
    EV Solo- DC x2, Baltimore x2 , Newark NJ x2,  Tower Theater x2 

- Given To Fly
  • Options
    slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,758
    And you left your seat, why?

Yeah, I don't drink at PJ shows for precisely this reason. I don't want to have to leave to buy more, or piss, and miss stuff. Call me old fashioned, but I really am just there for the music.

I can drink later. And usually do.
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do