LIVE in DC

bearfoot61bearfoot61 Posts: 119
edited February 2008 in The Porch
Help a sista' out!

Live in playing at the 9:30 Club in DC. I've never been and the FAQ on the 9:30 website indicates they don't really follow a set time. Specifically, it says

"Q: So, like, what time is the show tonight? Tomorrow?
A: We like to tell you the truth. We really, really do, but, as much as we would like to stick to our schedules, bands are actually comprised of human beings (sort of) and, well, you know how those silly humans are, but here is what we shoot for:

Sun-Thurs: doors 7:30p
Act one 8:30p 8:45p
Act two 9:15p
Headline 10:00p 10:30p

Fri-Sat: doors 9:00p
Act one 9:45p 10:00p
Act two 10:15p
Headline 11:30p
For the most current version of our attempt at reality, go check out "Today Is..." over on the right.

So . . . does that mean Live would play at 10:00. Or, if no other bands are announced for that night, does it mean they play at 8:30. Or, do I just throw caution to the wind and show up early and listen to whatever happens to be on stage.
You can spend your time alone, re-digesting past regrets, oh
Or you can come to terms and realize
You're the only one who cannot forgive yourself, oh
Makes much more sense, to live in the present tense
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• TravelarTravelar Kalamazoo, USA Posts: 3,354
    I'd show up early.... you never know with that place. You can always have a few beverages if you have spare time.
  • coming up for the show with a buddy who is a huge live fan...anyway have any suggestions on hotels? doesn't have to be walking distance to 9:30 club (heard neighbourhood is sketchy) but something convenient and perhaps something that is also convenient for siteseeing the next day
  • i got idi got id Posts: 862
    bearfoot61 wrote:
    Help a sista' out!

Live in playing at the 9:30 Club in DC. I've never been and the FAQ on the 9:30 website indicates they don't really follow a set time. Specifically, it says

"Q: So, like, what time is the show tonight? Tomorrow?
    A: We like to tell you the truth. We really, really do, but, as much as we would like to stick to our schedules, bands are actually comprised of human beings (sort of) and, well, you know how those silly humans are, but here is what we shoot for:

Sun-Thurs: doors 7:30p
    Act one 8:30p 8:45p
    Act two 9:15p
    Headline 10:00p 10:30p

Fri-Sat: doors 9:00p
    Act one 9:45p 10:00p
    Act two 10:15p
    Headline 11:30p
    For the most current version of our attempt at reality, go check out "Today Is..." over on the right.

So . . . does that mean Live would play at 10:00. Or, if no other bands are announced for that night, does it mean they play at 8:30. Or, do I just throw caution to the wind and show up early and listen to whatever happens to be on stage.

check 930.com the day of the show as they'll post set times that day.
  • i got idi got id Posts: 862
    coming up for the show with a buddy who is a huge live fan...anyway have any suggestions on hotels? doesn't have to be walking distance to 9:30 club (heard neighbourhood is sketchy) but something convenient and perhaps something that is also convenient for siteseeing the next day

Most are going to be fairly expensive within the city, but I'd look into Pentagon City/Crystal City which are just a short metro ride from seeing all the sites.
  • Ok, me again. The 9:30 website indicates the headline band could go on at 10:00-10:30 which I'm assuming will be LIVE. The last Metro train leaves at 11:45. Given I have to allow time to walk back to the Metro station do I:

* assume that LIVE will go on earlier and take Metro
    * make no assumptions and brave the trek from Frederick to 9:30 Club by car
    * not overanalyze the whole situation and wait until the day of the concert and make my decisions then.

Sorry, I'm very anal when it comes to concerts, I always want everything to go off without a hitch. This whole thing about not knowing RIGHT NOW when the band will actually take the stage is causing me way too much anxiety!

OCD's unite and help me!
  • Would it kill you that much to just get there early and hang out?
  • Wouldn't kill me, but I can't really leave work until about 5:00 in Frederick. I'm more worried about afterwards. I'd prefer not to drive down into DC and take the metro instead, but if LIVE doesn't hit the stage until 10:30 and I have to be back on the train by 11:30, I've just spent hours and hours in the bar and seen the band I came to see for less than an hour.
  • I can feel it coming back again.
    Teamwork. Rawk. Pwnage. Infinite Possibilities. YIELD. Hells yeah.
  • Sorry, you lost me.
  • You're going to see LIVE and the most famous line from their most famous song threw you off?
    Teamwork. Rawk. Pwnage. Infinite Possibilities. YIELD. Hells yeah.
  • bearfoot61 wrote:
    Ok, me again. The 9:30 website indicates the headline band could go on at 10:00-10:30 which I'm assuming will be LIVE. The last Metro train leaves at 11:45. Given I have to allow time to walk back to the Metro station do I:

* assume that LIVE will go on earlier and take Metro
    * make no assumptions and brave the trek from Frederick to 9:30 Club by car
    * not overanalyze the whole situation and wait until the day of the concert and make my decisions then.

Sorry, I'm very anal when it comes to concerts, I always want everything to go off without a hitch. This whole thing about not knowing RIGHT NOW when the band will actually take the stage is causing me way too much anxiety!

OCD's unite and help me!

Metro goes until 3 or so on the weekends. You were looking at the weekday schedule.
    The less you know, the more you believe.
  • I love the 930 club. I saw patti Smith there in December and it was incredible. I was at the stage, and right as the band was about to break into Smells Like Teen Spirit she leans down right in my face and asks me how the song began.

The neighborhood sucks. I'd get there early and make sure to park in the 930 club lot. They have a parking guard, not a parking attendant. lol

The earlier you get there the closer you'll get to the stage.

Its a 2 hr drive back for me so I stayed the last time in Tysons Corner. I did Hot Wire and stayed at a Hilton for 79 bucks. I wouldn't stay near the venue. Its better to drive 30 minutes and get something in a safer neighborhood.

have fun
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of
    arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to
    slide in sideways, BBQ sandwich in one hand, cold beer in the other,
    body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "Woo Hoo what a
    ride" ! Unknown

• You're going to see LIVE and the most famous line from their most famous song threw you off?

Yeah, after I turned off my computer and started on my way home, it came to me. It's actually my least favorite LIVE song of all time. My bad!
  • Jammin909 wrote:
    Metro goes until 3 or so on the weekends. You were looking at the weekday schedule.

The concert is on a Thursday.
  • You get there early because if you're over 21 the 9:30 club lets you leave and come back
  • stpmattbstpmattb Posts: 956
    Drive and park on the streets (it's free and not as bad as you'd think). That way you don't have to rely on the metro. Plus you'd pick up the Metro at what, Shady Grove? Might as well drive the extra 20 minutes into DC.
  • stpmattb wrote:
    Drive and park on the streets (it's free and not as bad as you'd think). That way you don't have to rely on the metro. Plus you'd pick up the Metro at what, Shady Grove? Might as well drive the extra 20 minutes into DC.

Is it really only 20 minutes from Shady Grove to 9:30 Club?
  • stpmattbstpmattb Posts: 956
    Well depending on traffic......but it is only 18 miles from the Shady Grove exit. Metro is just too...I dont know, I'm not a fan of it. I've left a show at the 930 Club early and STILL missed the last Metro...I'd just rather drive there. No waiting for Metro, and you get home a lot quicker.
  • stpmattb wrote:
    Well depending on traffic......but it is only 18 miles from the Shady Grove exit. Metro is just too...I dont know, I'm not a fan of it. I've left a show at the 930 Club early and STILL missed the last Metro...I'd just rather drive there. No waiting for Metro, and you get home a lot quicker.

I'm so happy to hear that. I can definitely do the extra mileage in the car and avoid the stress of missing the last train. I just always assumed that 9:30 was pretty far down into the city and I'm horrible with maneuvering my way through DC. But my friend has GPS, so I think we're in good shape. Thanks so much for the info. It really helps. If we get there around 6:30-7:00, that should be good. Does the club have decent food available or should we plan on eating somewhere else and then hitting the club.
  • edwf2000 wrote:
    You get there early because if you're over 21 the 9:30 club lets you leave and come back

Ding ding ding.

Plus, being the 9:30 club,

a. if you get there exceptionaly early, you have a chance at actualy "bumping in to" the band

b. you can get up front on the floor.

Get there late and you are stuck in
    a. a big line
    b. the back of the fucking balcony.

blech.

I love 9:30, though.
    :D

PS - they have decent food at 9:30, but there are a couple of dive bar\straunts in the area you may rather wander off to.
    Just ask some locals on the street which ones are good these days. :D
    If I was to smile and I held out my hand
    If I opened it now would you not understand?
  • Ding ding ding.

Plus, being the 9:30 club,

a. if you get there exceptionaly early, you have a chance at actualy "bumping in to" the band

b. you can get up front on the floor.

Get there late and you are stuck in
    a. a big line
    b. the back of the fucking balcony.

blech.

I love 9:30, though.
    :D

PS - they have decent food at 9:30, but there are a couple of dive bar\straunts in the area you may rather wander off to.
    Just ask some locals on the street which ones are good these days. :D

How early is exceptionally early?