Options

1984 - Orwell

Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
edited October 2009 in All Encompassing Trip
Is this book worth borrowing/buying?
Seems interesting after reading the wiki article.
Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Hitch-HikerHitch-Hiker Posts: 2,873
    It's a must read for everyone imo. So ahead of it's time. It's scary how accurate it is. It's extreme of course, but there's a lot in it that applies today more than ever. I've known people who've read it more recently and found it to be a little slow, but I never found that to be the case. Other than the year mentioned I don't think it's dated a single day. Superb piece of work. Fully deserving of it's classic status.
    I'll Ride The Wave Where It Takes Me
  • Options
    ByrnzieByrnzie Posts: 21,037
    I love Orwell's short stories. They're superb. You can buy his collected essays:

http://www.amazon.com/PENGUIN-ESSAYS-TW ... 0140188037
  • Options
    catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003

its even worth stealing. ;)

this book horrified me. to think that words can be taken out of a language... my language... was a little more than i could bear. newspeak...ugh. :shock:
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    asking this audience if this book is worth reading is like asking the Pope if the Bible is worth reading...

yeah... THAT influential to a lot of us.

It is so good a lot of people want it banned!
    Everything not forbidden is compulsory and eveything not compulsory is forbidden. You are free... free to do what the government says you can do.
  • Options
    BinFrogBinFrog MA Posts: 7,292
    Call me nuts, but I like Animal Farm even more than 1984.
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • Options
    ByrnzieByrnzie Posts: 21,037
    They also made a very good movie of this book back in - yep, you guessed it! - 1984.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nineteen_E ... %28film%29
  • Options
    soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,208
    It's good, but Catch-22 is better. No book captures the inhuman arbitrariness of modern society better than this... it's hilarious and horrifying.

But 1984 is good too, and easier to read.
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,158
    amazing book..easy read and always in time..
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,385
    It's good, but Catch-22 is better. No book captures the inhuman arbitrariness of modern society better than this... it's hilarious and horrifying.

But 1984 is good too, and easier to read.

i'd have to agree. great read. (so is 1984 & Animal Farm, though)

actually, i haven't read 1984 in quite some time. i think i'll start it tonight.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    A great book, and I always liked it better than Animal Farm. It is scary how possible it has become, but the suspense feels real, definitely one of my favorite books of all time.
    9/7/98, 8/3/00, 9/4/00, 4/15/03, 7/1/03, 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 5/24/06, 5/25/06, 6/17/08, 6/22/08, 6/28/08, 6/30/08, 5/17/10, 10/15/13, 10/16/13.
  • Options
    Just ordered this from amazon, should arrive tomorrow or saturday. Always wanted to read 'Animal Farm' but i seem to have come across this one first. I also ordered 'The Fountainhead' by Ayn Rand.
  • Options
    rhcpjam1029rhcpjam1029 Posts: 1,956
    1984 is one of the best books i've ever had to read in school. even if it was not required, i would have read it anyways. it's great because so many musicians today use this book as a basis of their song writing. it's a great book.
    Beavis: All my friends are brown and red? What does that mean?
    Butthead: It means that his friends are like turds and that they like suck.
    Beavis: Heh heh. Oh yeah. Yeah! Get those spoons out of my face before I shove them up your butt!
    Butthead: Huh huh.
  • Options
    jimed14jimed14 Posts: 9,488
    I didn't think there was any school system on the planet that would have a curriculum withouth 1984.
    "You're one of the few Red Sox fans I don't mind." - Newch91

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
  • Options
    BinFrogBinFrog MA Posts: 7,292
    Just ordered this from amazon, should arrive tomorrow or saturday. Always wanted to read 'Animal Farm' but i seem to have come across this one first. I also ordered 'The Fountainhead' by Ayn Rand.

T.F. is my favorite Rand book.
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • Options
    BinFrog wrote:

T.F. is my favorite Rand book.

I've only read 'Anthem' and of course 'Atlas Shrugged' which is a fookin' mammoth of a book.
  • Options
    gobrowns19gobrowns19 Posts: 1,447
    Animal Farm is worth a read, but I definitely recommend watching the video I made in high school...the story recreated with fischer price farm toys. oh and it has some PJ in it, haha. Do the Evolution when the animals revolt, Thumbing My Way when Old Major dies, and Down when they complete the windmill. Haha, it's really a blast.

But yeah, 1984 is amazing, a must read for everyone.
    Happiness is only real when shared
  • Options
    Well i finished reading 1984 this week and i must say the ending was chilling.

Wonderful read...
  • Options
    Heatherj43Heatherj43 Posts: 1,254
    Definitely a do-read! I prefer the movie.
    Save room for dessert!
  • Options
    Heatherj43 wrote:

Never knew there was a film. Might stick it on my rental list.
  • Options
    Heatherj43Heatherj43 Posts: 1,254
    Heatherj43 wrote:

Never knew there was a film. Might stick it on my rental list.
    I never read the book. I only have watched the movie.
    It was years ago. The scene I remember the most is this couple sitting under where the camera is watching their room and making plans to escape. The entire room was being watched except this one area. It was a black and white film.
    Save room for dessert!
  • Options
    8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
    Library.

if you don't like it, didn't cost you anything
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076

i think any fan of literature should own a copy of this book. At the time it was conceived, it was terrifying for a good amount of people. Probably helped spark up many modern government conspirators as well.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
  • Options
    jimed14 wrote:
    I didn't think there was any school system on the planet that would have a curriculum withouth 1984.
    we didn't read it in school :oops: . I guess Irish people are rebellious and stubborn enough as it is... without giving them any more reason :?

1984... only read it for the first time a few years back and it remains the ONE book I've read that everyone should really read... and I've read a lot of stuff.
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Verona??? it's all surmountable
    Dublin 23.08.06 "The beauty of Ireland, right there!"
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Copenhagen?? your light made us stars
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
    Had I not found this love with you
  • Options
    craigbcraigb Posts: 806
    Nineteen Eighty-Four is the best book ever. Orwell is such an amazing writer. I would recommend all of his works...so influential and they all make scary predictions about the future of mankind.
    "Speak clearly if you speak at all; carve every word before you let it fall"

Los Angeles 10.7.2009
  • Options
    yea, it's my favorite book. 'the giver' by lois lowry is my second. favorite short story is still 'the lottery'
  • Options
    Back_PedalBack_Pedal Posts: 1,171
    It's one of only two school-assigned books I took the initiative to finish on my own ahead of the rest of the class. (The other being Death of A Salesman) It absolutely grabbed me, and the parallels between modern society and Orwell's version of the future are pretty stunning to see. Motivated me to read Animal Farm for a book report.
    Thanks EPOTTSIII!
    "Vinyl or not, you will need to pay someone to take RA of your hands" - Smile05
    424, xxx
  • Options
    I think the time has come for me to read this. My high school never had us read anything so thought-provoking. In college, I read mostly Shakespeare.

I have no idea why, but fiction usually bores me to tears. I find myself skimming quickly just to see what happens. So I'll have to make sure I'm in the right mood.

I will have to visit the library, where "The Man" keeps records of every title I borrow....how perfectly appropriate!!!
    "May you live in interesting times."
  • Options
    urbanhippieurbanhippie Posts: 3,007
    I re-read in about once a year or so. It's a great book and should be on everyones bookshelves.
    A human being that was given to fly.

Wembley 18/06/07

If there was a reason, it was you.

O2 Arena 18/09/09
  • Options
    ClaireackClaireack Posts: 13,561
    Haven't read it in ages, first read it in 1983 (wanted to get it in before the year came), great book, read a few of his and enjoyed them all. Saw Animal Farm on stage in the mid 80's which was quite odd but good.
  • Options
    The movie pales in comparison to the book. Read the book first or get it on audiobook, which is just as good.

Make your life a mission - not an intermission. - Arnold Gasglow