Options

How eco-friendly are you?

Sian-of-the-deadSian-of-the-dead Posts: 8,963
edited October 2009 in All Encompassing Trip
We're quite good actually...

We recycle all our plastic, glass, card, paper, tins, cans and plastic bags. We use recyled toilet paper and kitchen roll and we have one eco-friendly car with low emissions. We only use cleaning products that are safer for the environment (including washing up liquid, multi surface cleaner, washing liquid and polish) and the only air fresheners in our house are naturally scented candles. We try to grow our own produce, buy locally sourced food and I also try to buy eco-friendly and organic hygiene products and make up. We turn off all of plugs/lights at night, shower together when we can to save water and avoid excess energy wasting by using a little more elbow grease like sweeping uncarpetted floors instead of vacuuming them.

So what about the rest of you? Are you earth lovers or doesn't it bother you?

Has anyone got any tips for eco-friendly living?
Been to this many PJ shows: Reading 2006 London 2007 Manchester & London 2009 Dublin, Belfast, London, Nijmegen & Berlin 2010 Manchester 1 & Manchester 2 2012...

... and I still think Drive-By Truckers are better.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    kudos to you and your partner!

raising one's awareness and educating themselves on environmental issues is the best thing they can do!

my best piece of advice is to reduce your consumption - especially on things you don't truly need ... buy second-hand from thrift shops for clothes and other stuff ... before throwing anything out - consider whether someone might be able to use it (you can Freecycle in many areas) ...

watch this:

http://www.storyofstuff.com/
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,154
    i really try..but the goverment here is a shit,,the last year just start to put in the streets in my city this big things for recycling...but not in the whole town..
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    JoJo Posts: 2,098
    I do my bit to recycle.
    The idea of recycled toilet paper and pumping sewerage back into my kitchen tap puts me right off.
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    polaris_x wrote:
    kudos to you and your partner!

raising one's awareness and educating themselves on environmental issues is the best thing they can do!

my best piece of advice is to reduce your consumption - especially on things you don't truly need ... buy second-hand from thrift shops for clothes and other stuff ... before throwing anything out - consider whether someone might be able to use it (you can Freecycle in many areas) ...

watch this:

http://www.storyofstuff.com/

We already do that when we can! :) I try go to thrift/charity shops as much as I can, buy things second hand and pass on that which we're finished with.

I'll watch the film later today (at work now :roll: ) Thanks! :D

I forgot to include that I cycle and walk everywhere, we avoid using the car (boyfriend gets the train to work) and I also donate monthly to a charity in the UK which promotes sustainable transport such as walking and cycling:

http://www.sustrans.org.uk/
    Post edited by Sian-of-the-dead on
    Been to this many PJ shows: Reading 2006 London 2007 Manchester & London 2009 Dublin, Belfast, London, Nijmegen & Berlin 2010 Manchester 1 & Manchester 2 2012...

• Options
    Jo wrote:
    I do my bit to recycle.
    The idea of recycled toilet paper and pumping sewerage back into my kitchen tap puts me right off.

Recycled toilet paper isn't any different to normal paper, is it? :?

• Options
    redrockredrock Posts: 18,341
    shower together when we can to save water

Yeah right.... to save water :roll:

You & Dave are very good! Like you, we recycle all we can, household products are also the environmentally friendly ones, use recycled toilet paper (and any other paper...). Don't use plastic bags and I avoid all packaging when possible (getting more and more difficult). Locally sourced produce are our preference but again, that is not always easy. Air freshener is a homemade orangy one in a pump spray (A couple of my cats are waaaaay too attracted to flames to have candles burning too long). I don't have carpeting so sweep a lot but still vacuum thoroughly once a week (cat fur). In the garden, we have a rain water thingy and the water used for, say, the washing up is thrown back in the garden and garden waste is recycled as well. Unfortunately, with all of us having different 'lifestyles', showers are individual. We walk, cycle or take public transport as much as we can. Clothes that don't fit anymore or goods that are in good shape but no longer needed to go the charity shop.

All of the above is very easy and simple to do.. should really be automatic. But I guess we are lucky because all the reclycling gets picked up at our doorstep and we don't have to carry loads trying to find recycling areas.

I am afraid though that I don't turn off all the plugs at night. Would mean having to reset things every morning.

I'm sure there's LOTS more that can be done but it gets a bit more complicated and/or time consuming (but that's just my excuse). But I guess we will have to or else one wonders what the planet will be like when my daughter has her own children.
  • Options
    Jo wrote:
    I do my bit to recycle.

Of course not... it's not dirty toilet paper which is fished out of the sewage and recycled.. it's just made using recycled paper.
  • Options
    Jo wrote:
    I do my bit to recycle.

One way or the other, it will end up back in your kitchen tap! Sewage goes to treatment plants, gets cleaned and is flushed into our rivers - from which we get our water!
  • Options
    redrock wrote:
    shower together when we can to save water

Yeah right.... to save water :roll:

You & Dave are very good! Like you, we recycle all we can, household products are also the environmentally friendly ones, use recycled toilet paper (and any other paper...). Don't use plastic bags and I avoid all packaging when possible (getting more and more difficult). Locally sourced produce are our preference but again, that is not always easy. Air freshener is a homemade orangy one in a pump spray (A couple of my cats are waaaaay too attracted to flames to have candles burning too long). I don't have carpeting so sweep a lot but still vacuum thoroughly once a week (cat fur). In the garden, we have a rain water thingy and the water used for, say, the washing up is thrown back in the garden and garden waste is recycled as well. Unfortunately, with all of us having different 'lifestyles', showers are individual. We walk, cycle or take public transport as much as we can. Clothes that don't fit anymore or goods that are in good shape but no longer needed to go the charity shop.

All of the above is very easy and simple to do.. should really be automatic. But I guess we are lucky because all the reclycling gets picked up at our doorstep and we don't have to carry loads trying to find recycling areas.

I am afraid though that I don't turn off all the plugs at night. Would mean having to reset things every morning.

I'm sure there's LOTS more that can be done but it gets a bit more complicated and/or time consuming (but that's just my excuse). But I guess we will have to or else one wonders what the planet will be like when my daughter has her own children.

There's only one plug we don't turn off and that's Dave's alarm clock :lol:

I agree that these things should be automatic. I've always tried to help the environment but now we make a conscious effort... even though it's not much effort! I'd love to have a water butt but our house is rented and we wouldn't be allowed... I got excited when I saw the compost bin when we came to look round the property though... it was one of the main things that sold it to me :oops:

Can you tell me more about the air freshener orange pump Rita? Do you make it yourself?

I also wonder what the planet will be like when my children have children... there seems to be a distinct lack of caring from the youths of our area and it worries me. I'd prefer it if my children and grand children didn't have to clean up or years of damage and decay :(
    redrock wrote:
    Jo wrote:
    I do my bit to recycle.

Of course not... it's not dirty toilet paper which is fished out of the sewage and recycled.. it's just made using recycled paper.

I wouldn't care if it was, as long as it's clean!

Some friends of mine refuse to use recycled toilet paper as apparently it's 'expensive and too hard'. It's just as soft as the Andrex, better for the environment and cheaper damnit! :x

I guess I can't change the world... I'll still try with bog roll though... one sheet at a time! :lol:

• Options
    urbanhippieurbanhippie Posts: 3,007
    We recycle, compost, buy fairtrade and organic where we can. I use eco-friendly cleaning products and recycled paper products. We get a local, organic fruit/vegetable/dairy box delivered once a week. We don't drive, we walk or get the bus everywhere. We have a rainwater butt for watering the garden and baths are rare in our house. We have a water meter fitted, so we keep an eye on our usage (there ARE six of us though, so it's still a bit high).
    Where we live there are DOZENS of hippy/fairtrade shops, so I don't need to visit a supermarket too often (when I do, I do it online and get it delivered), and loads of vintage/antique/junk shops to donate to or rummage around in to find something great and unusual. I use organic toiletries and make-up MOST of the time (not all the time, organic mascara and hair dye are rubbish!). I cook most meals from scratch from my organic veg. I have used freecycle a few times, mostly to get rid of stuff rather than just tipping it.

I always think there's more we could do, but as soon as I think of it I'll give it a try :D
    A human being that was given to fly.

Wembley 18/06/07

If there was a reason, it was you.

O2 Arena 18/09/09
  • Options
    FlaggFlagg Posts: 5,856
    I recycle everything that can be. The city only picks up trash once a week, so if we didn't have the recycle bins, the trash would be overflowing every week.

I buy local when I can but don't pay much attention to organic. Married with kids so sometimes cost wins over the environment. Sorry to say but it is true. I don't go out of my way or spend a lot more to buy organic or local.

I have made the full 100% switch over to canvas shopping bags at the grocery store though. My local super market offers 5 cents of your purchase for every canvas bag. I have 8 of them and bring them with me every time.

I used to drive a Prius, but sold it last year and got my beloved little MINI Cooper S. Will never go back. I love this car so much! I sometimes drive just for the sake of driving it so I guess that is anti-green, but who cares, I love racing around in it.

Other things I do that are eco-friendly also save money too. All the lights off during the day, computer off when away, etc. Set the thermosat and leave it there. Rain and freeze sensor on the sprinkler system. Use flourescent bulbs. All this is easy, saves money and is green at the same time.
    DAL-7/5/98,10/17/00,6/9/03,11/15/13
    BOS-9/28/04,9/29/04,6/28/08,6/30/08, 9/5/16, 9/7/16, 9/2/18
    MTL-9/15/05, OTT-9/16/05
    PHL-5/27/06,5/28/06,10/30/09,10/31/09
    CHI-8/2/07,8/5/07,8/23/09,8/24/09
    HTFD-6/27/08
    ATX-10/4/09, 10/12/14
    KC-5/3/2010,STL-5/4/2010
    Bridge School-10/23/2010,10/24/2010
    PJ20-9/3/2011,9/4/2011
    OKC-11/16/13
    SEA-12/6/13
    TUL-10/8/14
  • Options
    JD SalJD Sal Posts: 790
    Here's my list:

- I own 2 hybrids
    - I recycle plastic, bottles, cans, paper
    - Started a green program at work (recylcing, turn off company computers at night, online versions of documents instead of printing on paper which will save over 1,100 trees just this year alone)
    - Buy energy saver appliances
    - Use natural lighting during the day, turn off lights when leaving a room, conserve power
    - Only wash full loads of clothes, and air dry my clothes after washing them
    - Carpool / walk whenever possible
    - Donate unwanted furniture, clothing, food to local charitable organizations

One thing I don't do is use fluorescent light bulbs. I have my reasons, but I'm not a fan at all.
    Oh, I don't shower with my wife. Although I'm going to tell her this weekend that we need to start so we can save water ;):mrgreen:
    "If no one sees you, you're not here at all"
  • Options
    FlaggFlagg Posts: 5,856
    Oops. Thanks JD. I forgot. I do carpool to work every day. We started that when gas prices got crazy and then it just became a habit.
    DAL-7/5/98,10/17/00,6/9/03,11/15/13
    BOS-9/28/04,9/29/04,6/28/08,6/30/08, 9/5/16, 9/7/16, 9/2/18
    MTL-9/15/05, OTT-9/16/05
    PHL-5/27/06,5/28/06,10/30/09,10/31/09
    CHI-8/2/07,8/5/07,8/23/09,8/24/09
    HTFD-6/27/08
    ATX-10/4/09, 10/12/14
    KC-5/3/2010,STL-5/4/2010
    Bridge School-10/23/2010,10/24/2010
    PJ20-9/3/2011,9/4/2011
    OKC-11/16/13
    SEA-12/6/13
    TUL-10/8/14
  • Options
    ClaireackClaireack Posts: 13,561
    I do as much as I can, money and time allowing.

Recycle what I can
    Energy saving bulbs/turn off lights not in use
    Our washer weighs what you wash so uses what it needs for that weight, although it tends to be full
    Use a dryer as little as possible
    Have 2 flush settings on the loo
    Turn down the heating and wear a jumper/blanket

Probably do other stuff without thinking about it, I know I could do better, but I do try.

Was going to post somewhere on here about xmas gifts - http://www.naturalcollection.com have got some nice environmentally friendly/fair trade etc stuff in for xmas. I've had quite a lot of stuff from them before and it's good.
  • Options
    Claireack wrote:

Recycle what I can
    Our washer weighs what you wash so uses what it needs for that weight, although it tends to be full

Probably do other stuff without thinking about it, I know I could do better, but I do try.

Was going to post somewhere on here about xmas gifts - http://www.naturalcollection.com have got some nice environmentally friendly/fair trade etc stuff in for xmas. I've had quite a lot of stuff from them before and it's good.
    Ooooooh! You reminded me of a few more things :)
    All our light bulbs are energy saving (except in the lizards vivariums), we have no dryer and line dry everything. Have a dual flush loo and the thermostat set low and on a timer. I am making some of this years Christmas pressies, and so will the kids and the rest will be as eco-friendly as possible.

Wembley 18/06/07

O2 Arena 18/09/09
  • Options
    Claireack wrote:

Recycle what I can

Ooooooh! You reminded me of a few more things :)
    All our light bulbs are energy saving (except in the lizards vivariums), we have no dryer and line dry everything. Have a dual flush loo and the thermostat set low and on a timer. I am making some of this years Christmas pressies, and so will the kids and the rest will be as eco-friendly as possible.

Yes, you've reminded me of some!
    We also don't have a dryer - we air dry everything. Our light bulbs are energy saving and we have a dual flush loo. Our heating isn't going on at all until November though.

All our Christmas presents, decorations and food are all eco/locally sourced this year. It's more personal and the satisfaction from it is awesome.

• Options
    ClaireackClaireack Posts: 13,561
    How do you feel about dishwashers? I've never had one, but an awful lot of people I know do, even the ones that I've always though of a lot more eco than me.
  • Options
    stuckinlinestuckinline Posts: 3,358
    i do most of what is listed above. to those of you who compost, has anyone tried vermicomposting?
  • Options
    Claireack wrote:
    How do you feel about dishwashers? I've never had one, but an awful lot of people I know do, even the ones that I've always though of a lot more eco than me.
    I personally wouldn't have one. It's not just the water you have to consider not being eco-friendly but also the chemicals you put in it and the energy it uses. People tend to have them for convenience, washing up only takes a little time and far less impact on the environment. As Redrock said, you can always re-use the dish water anyway :)

• Options
    i do most of what is listed above. to those of you who compost, has anyone tried vermicomposting?
    Ah... WORMS :D

I haven't but I do throw them into my compost bin if I find them... is that bad? :?

• Options
    nuffingmannuffingman Posts: 3,014
    Claireack wrote:

Recycle what I can
    This is probably about our level. We do what we can. We always make sure all the recyclables go in the blue bin. We're always surprised that the kids are the worst, leaving lights and TVs/stereos on in their rooms when they are downstairs and generally being wasteful.

I read recently it was discovered that some councils due to the cost of recycling were sending their rubbish to other countries to go in land fills. WTF!

I look forward to the day when companies are fined for producing over elaborate packaging and car manufacturers are banned from building cars over a certain cc. What's the point of being told to be eco-friendly when people are driving around in 5 litre gas guzzlers?
  • Options
    Claireack wrote:
    I do use a dishwasher occasionally. You can get eco-friendly detergents to use that are no different from the detergent in the eco-friendly washing up liquids. If you have a fairly new one (ours is our landlady's, I wouldn't buy one) and it has an eco-program and you switch the dryer off, it can actually use less water than washing up. Especially as I have to wash up after 6 people everyday, if you change the water a couple of times when hand-washing you can use up considerably more than you think. You can also re-cycle the grey water from the dishwaser if you use the right detergents in the first place.

Wembley 18/06/07

O2 Arena 18/09/09
  • Options
    nuffingman wrote:
    Claireack wrote:

Recycle what I can
    This is probably about our level. We do what we can. We always make sure all the recyclables go in the blue bin. We're always surprised that the kids are the worst, leaving lights and TVs/stereos on in their rooms when they are downstairs and generally being wasteful.

I read recently it was discovered that some councils due to the cost of recycling were sending their rubbish to other countries to go in land fills. WTF!

I look forward to the day when companies are fined for producing over elaborate packaging and car manufacturers are banned from building cars over a certain cc. What's the point of being told to be eco-friendly when people are driving around in 5 litre gas guzzlers?

Kids can be the worst! I was terrible when I was a kid, constantly being told "We don't live in Blackpool illuminations y'know! turn the lights OFF!" :lol:

I too look forward to that day. Elaborate packaging is a problem, as are 5 litre gas guzzlers. I actually got annoyed yesterday because Land Rover's new radio ad campaign is "Why drive a car when you can drive... A LAND ROVER"
    What a crock of shit! Why buy a car?! Because cars nowadays are far more eco-friendly! Cars do the necessary job of getting you from A to bloody B! Cars don't EAT fuel and damage the enviroment in order to make little people behind the wheel feel better by driving around Coventry city centre in a vehicle that was designed for FARM USE!!! :x

/rant

Most people don't need the huge cars they have. They're just status symbols... and it bugs the shit outta me.

... if you hadn't noticed :oops:

• Options
    JD Sal wrote:
    Here's my list:

- I own 2 hybrids
    - I recycle plastic, bottles, cans, paper
    - Started a green program at work (recylcing, turn off company computers at night, online versions of documents instead of printing on paper which will save over 1,100 trees just this year alone)
    - Buy energy saver appliances
    - Use natural lighting during the day, turn off lights when leaving a room, conserve power
    - Only wash full loads of clothes, and air dry my clothes after washing them
    - Carpool / walk whenever possible
    - Donate unwanted furniture, clothing, food to local charitable organizations

One thing I don't do is use fluorescent light bulbs. I have my reasons, but I'm not a fan at all.
    Oh, I don't shower with my wife. Although I'm going to tell her this weekend that we need to start so we can save water ;):mrgreen:

I just spotted this post... kudos to you! :D

How did you find starting the green program at work? I encourage everyone to recycle paper in my office but that's about as far as they will go most days :roll:

(Definately shower with your wife... it's gotta be the funniest way to help the environment ;) )

• Options
    mca47mca47 Posts: 13,251
    While I certainly contribute to a large amount of carbon emission (I travel via plane a lot for work...usually at least 1-2x per week + rental cars), I try to make up for it while at home.
    My car gets 35+ mpg, I recycle, try to use natural products, and try to purchase products/produce locally...which can be tough living in the desert.
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Claireack wrote:
    I do use a dishwasher occasionally. You can get eco-friendly detergents to use that are no different from the detergent in the eco-friendly washing up liquids. If you have a fairly new one (ours is our landlady's, I wouldn't buy one) and it has an eco-program and you switch the dryer off, it can actually use less water than washing up. Especially as I have to wash up after 6 people everyday, if you change the water a couple of times when hand-washing you can use up considerably more than you think. You can also re-cycle the grey water from the dishwaser if you use the right detergents in the first place.

But surely it uses energy?

I understand it could help for 6 people but when there's only two of us, it's pointless.

• Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479
    edited October 2009
    -only one car (albeit one that could be better on gas)
    -walk to the train station-commute to the city
    -energy saving bulbs and appliances
    -terlits that use the least amount of water possible
    -energy star water heater, heater and AC
    -no dryer in our house
    -eco-friendly cleansers and recycled paper napkins and paper towels (sorry but Im strictly a northern man when it comes to TP)
    -dishwasher-only on weekends
    -of course recycle-isnt that required in most places these days?
    but I probably negate all that with the diapers my daughter uses-sorry cant do cloth or au natural as some do-working on it though!!!
    Post edited by Get_Right on
  • Options
    mca47 wrote:
    While I certainly contribute to a large amount of carbon emission (I travel via plane a lot for work...usually at least 1-2x per week + rental cars), I try to make up for it while at home.
    My car gets 35+ mpg, I recycle, try to use natural products, and try to purchase products/produce locally...which can be tough living in the desert.
    But at least you're trying to help. :D I'm sure some people would't even do that and would find living in the desert as an excuse :?

• Options
    chimechime Posts: 7,838
    edited October 2009
    I encourage everyone to recycle paper in my office but that's about as far as they will go most days :roll:

In my office every desk has two bins ... one is a box for paper recycling, the other is a bin for all other recyclables. In the kitchen there are 3 bins. One for recyclables, one for food waste for composting (mainly tea bags :p) and the final one is for anything that can't go in any other bin so if we have anything that can't be recycled we have to make the effort to walk to the kitchen to put it in this bin.

We also have charts on a pin board in all the kitchens that monitors our recyling levels.
    Post edited by chime on
    So are we strangers now? Like rock and roll and the radio?
  • Options
    peacegirlpeacegirl Posts: 835
    I try to do as much as I can

-recycle everything possible
    -use engery savings lightbulbs/turn lights off when not in the room
    -any new appliances I buy I make sure they are energystar
    -use the dryer as little as possible/use outside clothesline to dry
    -keep small appliances I don't use all the time unplugged (toaster, cell phone charger, etc.)
    -take my own cloth bags shopping
    -use cloth napkins & limit my use of papertowels
    -I set up recyling at work for newspapers, cans, bottles, etc.
    -shop second hand at thrift stores, flea markets

I wish I could drive less but that's not easy to do where I live..no public transportation & even though I live in town limits I still have to drive to get anywhere...but at least I don't have a gas guzzling car