Options

record sales.

eldermanelderman Posts: 180
edited November 2007 in The Porch
I am just curious about this topic.
Does anyone have access to up to date Pearl Jams recent record sales. Wikipedia, who incidentally write in glowing terms about them ( just read their take on Nickelback) used to keep this info but they've not updated it in over 9 months.
Pearl Jam is stuck on 682084 with Riot Act 502964 and Binaural 745158.
No smart answers but I suppose there will be a few.
While we would like the group to be selling more than they do it and therefore appreciated by more people I dont think it matters. Commercial crap sells in bucket loads like Nickelback, RHCP and Creed while bands like PJ and Radiohead dont really do those numbers.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    who cares about record sales anyways
  • Options
    eldermanelderman Posts: 180
    I agree, if you tried to read it properly and my question was not directed at the likes of you, thanks.
  • Options
    Niko80Niko80 Posts: 1,556
    I care! And apparently, so does the band. Eddie even feared they had to raise ticket prices becasuse of low record sales in a recent interview. I also remember Mike talking about how the new album were doing well in Europe and how he was thrilled about it!

There was a guy on here that used to send out this info on a mailinglist. He has stopped because he lost his access to the soundscan site.

I sure miss those reports. They were alot of fun to be reading!
    I will swallow poison
  • Options
    rival.rival. Chicago Posts: 7,776
    i don't understand. what band wouldn't want tremendous record sales..?
  • Options
    grungehead wrote:
    who cares about record sales anyways

Why is it every time someone posts one of these threads this reply is always there? If you dont care go post in one of the hundreds of threads about PJ getting played for 3 seconds at a baseball game.
  • Options
    HawkshoreHawkshore Posts: 2,141
    elderman wrote:
    I am just curious about this topic.
    Does anyone have access to up to date Pearl Jams recent record sales. Wikipedia, who incidentally write in glowing terms about them ( just read their take on Nickelback) used to keep this info but they've not updated it in over 9 months.
    Pearl Jam is stuck on 682084 with Riot Act 502964 and Binaural 745158.
    No smart answers but I suppose there will be a few.
    While we would like the group to be selling more than they do it and therefore appreciated by more people I dont think it matters. Commercial crap sells in bucket loads like Nickelback, RHCP and Creed while bands like PJ and Radiohead dont really do those numbers.

I'm not sure if he is around today but AniMal use to post a link to a very detailed up to date sales analysis that would show all of the PJ commercially releases sales for the previous week, year to date, and since release.
    Van 92.07.21 / Van 98.07.19 / Sea 98.07.22 / Tor 98.08.22 / Sea 00.11.06 / Van 03.05.30/ Van 05.09.02/ Gorge 06.07.22 & 23 / EV Van 08.04.02 / Tor 09.08.21 / Sea 09.09.21 & 22 / Van 09.09.25 / Van 11.09.25 / Van 13.12.04 / Pem 16.07.17 / Sea 18.08.10
  • Options
    aus_suzaus_suz Posts: 9,364
    I think it would be a lot different now. 

• Options
    newharlmshufflenewharlmshuffle Riverside, CA Posts: 11
    edited January 10
    aus_suz said:
    I think it would be a lot different now. 

LMAO why dig up a ~checks notes~ 17 year old thread on something that really doesn't matter?

editted because math is hard
  • Options
    BALLBOYBALLBOY Australia Posts: 992
    I'm old enough to remember when the last page in Rolling Stone magazine had the album charts & if the album was certified gold or platinum. Well that was when Rolling Stone was relevant & not just on instagram or Twitter 
    Eastern Creek 95,Syd 1 98,Bris 2 98, Syd 1&2 03, Reading Fest 06, Bris 1 06, London 09, Hyde Park 10, Gold Coast BDO 14
  • Options
    BF25394BF25394 Posts: 3,161
    As someone who looks at this and has some access to data, it is very hard to separate out actual sales from "sales equivalents" for the last several years. And it is very hard to get weekly data on actual sales when the weekly sales are de minimis (which, unfortunately, they are for most of Pearl Jam's catalog).

You should take any sales numbers you see reported with a big grain of salt for a number of reasons:

1) People often cite RIAA certifications (i.e., gold, platinum, etc.) as "sales," but those certifications do not represent sales to consumers. They represent units shipped to distributors. In other words, an album that is 5-times platinum shipped five million units to retailers but it may have only sold 3.6 million of them to consumers.

1A) Certifications cost money. You have to pay the RIAA to do the certification. Historically, this was a thing that record companies did because they had the budget for it and it was in their marketing and client-relations interest. Pearl Jam doesn't have a record company to do this anymore, and also doesn't seem to care about certifications, so there likely haven't been any requests for certifications of Pearl Jam albums in years.

1B) Certifications are now a combination of shipments to distributors and streaming consumption. Aside from the apples-and-oranges data this creates, the streaming numbers are problematic because...

2) Streams of individual tracks are credited to specific albums somewhat arbitrarily. For example, if someone streams "Black" 1,500 times, should that be credited as one sale of Ten, one sale of Rearviewmirror, a half-sale of each, a third to each of those two and Essential Pearl Jam.

3) The number of streams that are treated as equivalent to an album sale varies depending on the method of consumption (on-demand, paid, free, etc.). Those numbers appear to be scientific but, again, are actually somewhat arbitrary. And, besides, if someone streams "Black" the requisite number of times, is that really tantamount to a sale of Ten (or Rearviewmirror)? Or is that tantamount to buying the single, in the days when there were physical singles.

I could go on but, basically, tracking music consumption is fraught, and I don't know how you reconcile the pre-streaming era with the streaming era in a way that makes any sense.

I gather speed from you fucking with me.