Options

setlists

mookie10mookie10 Posts: 41
edited June 2008 in The Porch
Has anyone been keeping an eye on the setlists so far, of course you have you are pearl jam fans after all =) Im just wondering if anyone else found them a bit repetitive? I mean of course they are mixing it up a bit and throwing in some awesome songs, bsides and covers but the overall set to me seems a bit repetitive, anyone else agree? Ive never really seen that before I dont think, from what I remember every show was always so mixed up, just wondering if anyone had any thoughts or kind of thought the same way? Maybe it's just that they are all so tired and/or busy and dont have time to sit down and come up with a new set list each day? I dunno
"Well I guess there's nothing wrong with what you say, but dont sell me there can't be better ways"
~Pearl Jam
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    gleemonexgleemonex Posts: 848
    It seems to me that for this tour they practiced a few songs that they haven't played in a long time, like Who You Are, WMA, All Night, Hard To Imagine, and others. They want the fans who have been going to shows for years to have an opportunity to hear songs they haven't heard in a long time or ever before. Most people who go to Pearl Jam shows don't travel all over the east coast to see as many shows as possible, though you wouldn't guess that from reading the boards. There has probably been enough changes in the setlists to please even those people.

edit: And I guarantee that they still make the setlists before the show and still make changes during the encores. That's the type of band they'll always be.
    “Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It’s hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It’s round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you’ve got about a hundred years here. There’s only one rule that I know of, babies — ‘God damn it, you’ve got to be kind.’” - Kurt Vonnegut
  • Options
    mookie10mookie10 Posts: 41
    That makes sense like w.ma. how cool is that they played that, i think i read after 13 years, or rats? I dont think ive seen that in awhile. Im not saying a "common" set is a bad thing, I guess I just don't think Ive seen them do much of that before. I read somewhere Mike said they were going to be playing a lot of their old stuff and bsides. Im hoping for dirty frank, crazy mary or footsteps at Mansfield 1! (Acutally they could play the same song over and over two hours and Id probably be just as happy) Just super excited they are playing and Im going to be seeing them in 3 more sleeps!
    "Well I guess there's nothing wrong with what you say, but dont sell me there can't be better ways"
    ~Pearl Jam
  • Options
    se7v7ense7v7en Philadelphia, PA Posts: 328
    yes. I saw 3 shows and got the same opener all three times. I saw about 7 or 8 songs all three times and almost all of them twice.
  • Options
    rebornFixerrebornFixer Posts: 4,917
    They've been sticking with one opener a little more than they have in the past, but other than that, no ... They are pretty diverse .... I think they're actually a little better mixed than they were in 2006, although I haven't done the math.
  • Options
    Kilgore_TroutKilgore_Trout Posts: 7,334
    i loved what i was seeing the first couple shows... the reappearance of WMA and Who You Are and the debut of All Night... but since its gotten a bit repetitive... its cool that theyre playing those rare ones over and over just to give EVERYONE a chance to see them... but the other songs (encore especially) could be mixed up more... i like the guest appearances at the MSG shows! how bout some more Yield??? wheres Pilate at??? i dunno... cant figure out what it is thats throwing them off... they all look good individually on paper... its just us fanatics that follow every show that have any problem... and god knows its NEVER good enough for us :D

seriously tho... they have the ability to play a COMPLETELY different set EVERY night... with the exception of a few songs that deserve nightly play, they should try to never play the same song 2 nights in a row IMO... its all about the crowd/band energy and i trust them to do whatever feels right

im not at any of the shows anyway so i guess i dont really care
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/
  • Options
    i really think having No More constantly starting off the second encore gives the shows a feeling of repitition, even though though they are changing up all the other songs
    makes much more sense to live in the present tense

9/28/05 Pittsburgh
    6/23/06 Pittsburgh
    8/2/07 Vic
    8/5/07 Lolla
    6/16/08 Columbia
    8/17/08 DC (EV Solo)
  • Options
    Kilgore_TroutKilgore_Trout Posts: 7,334
    i really think having No More constantly starting off the second encore gives the shows a feeling of repitition, even though though they are changing up all the other songs
    not even just repetitive... but painful! i never thought they would top "last kiss" as a buzz killer but that song definitely takes the cake!

its sad that toms condition has worsened recently but does ed honestly think playing this song more is gonna bring any more attention to that?? youre preaching to the choir dude! were on your side... dont put us through a crappy protest song... lolla and roo were more appropriate venues for that kindof shit... no offense :)
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/
  • Options
    brainofjbbrainofjb Boston Posts: 381
    I expected a few more rarities.

Maybe In Boston
    There's the moon asking to stay
    Long enough for the clouds to fly me away
  • Options
    on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,441
    mookie10 wrote:
    Has anyone been keeping an eye on the setlists so far, of course you have you are pearl jam fans after all =) Im just wondering if anyone else found them a bit repetitive? I mean of course they are mixing it up a bit and throwing in some awesome songs, bsides and covers but the overall set to me seems a bit repetitive, anyone else agree? Ive never really seen that before I dont think, from what I remember every show was always so mixed up, just wondering if anyone had any thoughts or kind of thought the same way? Maybe it's just that they are all so tired and/or busy and dont have time to sit down and come up with a new set list each day? I dunno

Totally 100% disagree...

I saw them 4 times this tour... both Camden and MSG shows and I counted like 65 different songs they played between the 4 shows.

I don't know any other band that I would get to hear 65 different songs over just 4 shows.
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    washedinblack91washedinblack91 Posts: 3,078
    sgossard3 wrote:
    seriously tho... they have the ability to play a COMPLETELY different set EVERY night... with the exception of a few songs that deserve nightly play, they should try to never play the same song 2 nights in a row IMO... its all about the crowd/band energy and i trust them to do whatever feels right

however there's some people who only go to 1 show a tour and what if they play a song the night before, should that person who only gets to go to one show not be able to experience it? it's only (mildly) annoying for us who go to a bunch of shows each tour, but for the average fan that might not be the case
    PJ: 9/29/04, 5/12/06, 5/13/06, 6/22/08, 6/24/08, 6/25/08, 6/27/08, 6/30/08, 10/30/09, 10/31/09, 5/18/10, 5/20/10, 5/21/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/18/13, 8/7/16
    eV: 8/4/08, 8/5/08, 6/21/11
    SG: 10/4/08<-- MET STONE!!!
  • Options
    My3rdEyeMy3rdEye Posts: 926
    mookie10 wrote:

Seems pretty well mixed up to me. Just comparing both Camden shows there were only seven repeated songs. All of which one would expect to hear every night with the exception of maybe "Why Go". That's 46 different songs in just two nights.

Camden I:

Hard To Imagine
    Corduroy
    Severed Hand
    Do The Evolution
    All Night
    In Hiding
    Small Town
    Gone
    Who You Are
    Unemployable
    Even Flow