Options

9/24/96 Merriweather Post Pavillion Anniversary

pearljgirl2010pearljgirl2010 Shillington, PA/Tuckerton, NJ Posts: 3,428
edited September 2009 in The Porch
searched and didn't see a thread, so I thought I'd start one...

Happy Anniversary to my first Pearl Jam show :-) I can't believe it's been 13 years!
Need a tour Travel Agent??? Pick me :-)

Whatever you are, be a good one --Lincoln
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    SPJSPJ BRIGANTINE BEACH Posts: 255
    Wow, your right. My first PJ show too. I was lucky enough to get a poster and keep it from being damaged while on the lawn. Great energy that night, thanks for reminding.
  • Options
    I was thinking about that show today too. That was my 2nd show. I had the poster taped to my bedroom door for a few years. I wish I still had that one now. I remember it being a great show but that I was so far back on the lawn I could hardly see. 33 until the Spectrum run begins, can't wait.
    47 shows and counting.
  • Options
    InHiding19InHiding19 Posts: 2,385
    setlist?
    Out of the Blue and Into the Black................Uncle Neil Philly 08 here I come!!!!
  • Options
    Ripped from 5H....
    09/24/96 - Merriweather Post Pavilion: Columbia, MD [115m]
    attendance: 18,000
    support act: The Fastbacks
    soundcheck: I'm Open, Elderly Woman (Ed solo), RVM (opening riff), The Kids are Alright
    set: Long Road, Hail Hail, Animal, Spin the Black Circle, In My Tree, Corduroy, Not for You/Jeremy, Red Mosquito, Black, Habit, Rearviewmirror, Immortality (song stopped), Better Man, Whipping, State of Love and Trust, Alive, Blood
    enc 1: Who You Are, Even Flow, Daughter/(No More Pain)/(WMA), Mankind, Leaving Here
    enc 2: Wash, Yellow Ledbetter
    notes: This show opens with a particularly sweet version of 'Long Road.' During 'Not for You,' Ed chats a bit. "If you catch me missing a lyric ... if you catch me making a mistake. It's just I got a lot on my mind. Like I was just thinking a minute ago, 'I hope these people know that this song isn't about them.' I just hate to be misunderstood." 'Red Mosquito' is introduced as 'Song X's' baby brother. Ed makes a joke: "It looks like some of you are on grass ..." (referring to the people on the lawn). 'Habit' is modified to, "Speaking as someone standing in complete darkness." After the band plays the intro to 'Immortality,' Ed takes a drink, the crowd goes wild, the band stops and goes on to 'Better Man,' entirely scrapping 'Immortality.' Quelling the "Ed-die" chants later, he says, "Enough of that. If you could just see what you look like from here. It's just crazy ... it's crazy. Just crazy. You guys are really nice ..." then launches into 'Blood.' The 'Daughter' tag includes a snippet of Embrace's 'No More Pain,' ("Your emotions are nothing but politics, so get control"). Before 'Mankind,' Stone says "Do you want to hear me sing one?" (The crowd goes nuts.) He continues (laughing), "Awww, no you don't!" Returning for a second encore, Stone asks if it rained outside, while Ed references people holding up signs for "super rare songs." The crowd gets a very nice surprise ... a super version of 'Wash.' Excellent show!
    90 shows and counting...some of my favs: Randall's Island night 2, Milwaukee '95 night 2, Hawaii '06, St Johns '05, PJ20!
  • Options
    My first too! I was on the grass 8o)
  • Options

Happy Anniversary to my first Pearl Jam show :-) I can't believe it's been 13 years!

Not this show, but the No Code was my 1st PJ show as well. 10/2/96 in Hartford.

I loved that tour, especially the merch, I still have my NO Code t-shirt from that show, with the 10/2 tag on the back, individual shirts for each show, very cool.

I did move to DC in 2000 and caught them at the Post on 9/4/00--that was the night Sonic Youth couldn't open due to the lead singers mother involvement in a car crash.

Which sucked on that level and the fact that the next to last night before a break is normally a kick ass show. Enjoyed it anyway.
  • Options
    vedder6 wrote:
    I was thinking about that show today too. That was my 2nd show. I had the poster taped to my bedroom door for a few years. I wish I still had that one now. I remember it being a great show but that I was so far back on the lawn I could hardly see. 33 until the Spectrum run begins, can't wait.

i was also on the lawn...and also had my poster up on my wall :-)

• Options
    Thanks for the reminder. That was my son's 1st show, if you count 7 months in utero.:-D He kicked the entire show and is still rocking out - going to his 4th & 5th shows in Philly next month.
    ======================================================================
    "What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal." Albert Pine.

• Options
    I hate to be a downer, but here goes.

For what it was, I dug this show. Many of my friends and I were going to Charlotte 10/4/96, so I felt lucky to catch a show ahead of them. I was psyched to be there and enjoyed it for that.

But...

1) Getting in was ridiculous.

2) A buddy of mine scored lawn seats, but I was able to get seats from a kind west-coaster that wasn't going to use her east coast 10C ticket form. On our way in, we checked out the lawn, and noted that it was almost completely impossible to see the stage. We were completely appalled - it seemed grossly unfair for people to pay to get in and not be able to see the stage at all. Honestly, it was completely inexcusable that the band insisted on not using the tv screens. (I know it was a general policy during that tour, but they should have made an exception.)

3) I'd been lucky to that point not to catch a show where Ed was drinking much. (At 4/3/94, he was entirely drinking water.) At this show, he wasn't just drinking, he was full-blown fucking drunk. He was just all over the place. Bombing the lyrics on "Immortality" was such a letdown.

4) It was such a pain in the arse to get out of the seated area to get to the bathrooms that some dude a row behind me decided to just take a leak on the concrete floor. I couldn't figure out what was splashing against my leg, and almost wished I hadn't turned around to find out.

On the other hand, getting "Wash" was fantastic, and seeing Stone roll through "Mankind" was fun.

I wouldn't trade that night for anything, but I can't describe how much better a show Charlotte ended up being.
    8/20/92 4/3/94 9/24/96 10/4/96 9/1/98 8/7/00 8/21/09 9/11/11 9/12/11 9/22/12 10/30/13 4/16/16
  • Options
    alphawolfalphawolf DelMarVa/Big Sky Posts: 646
    my 1st show

what a night

what a pit

the parking lot was crazy

one of the best times ive ever had in my life
    1996 - Columbia Maryland, Hartford

1998 - DC RFK Stadium, Virginia Beach, Columbia Maryland, DC Constitution Hall
    2000 - Virginia Beach, Camden I+II, Columbia Maryland

2002 - Seattle Key Arena I+II

2003 - Raleigh, Charlotte, State College, Bristow, Camden II

2004 - Asheville

2006 - Boston II, Camden I+II, DC

2008 - Virginia Beach, Camden I+II, DC

2009 - Philadelphia I, II, III, IV

2010 - Bristow

2013 - Philadelphia II, Baltimore, Charlottesville, Charlotte

2022 - Camden

• Options
    mensanemensane Posts: 912
    this was my first show as well...not that i remember much of it...WASTED..

what i do remember...

-the traffic getting into the venue was ridiculous

-my friend sam saying "what the hell happened to mccready's hair?"

-thinking that our seats sucked (very last row of the pavillion in the section on stone's side), so i proceeded to walk all the way up the aisle and no one stopped me. i watched the show from the front of the section up against the railing.

-i do remember them playing black because it was my favorite song at the time

-the party in the parking lot after the show was INSANE!!
  • Options
    PJ2k3PJ2k3 Posts: 218

Mine too!! I went home and joined the 10C. Thus the 160xxx number. Imagine what it would have been when I had seen the '10C' mailing label when I purchased Ten. F me.

But getting back on point, great fucking show, and WASH at the tail end. Incredible. What a pain in the ass to get tickets to though. Fans, Tours and Tickets. Still got that 15ft wide stub.
    9/24/96, 6/14/98, 9/18/98, 8/3/00, 9/1/00, 9/4/00, 4/28/03, 7/5/03, 7/6/03, 7/12/03, 7/14/03, 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 10/1/04, 9/15/05, 9/16/05, 9/19/05, 9/30/05, 10/03/05, 5/13/06, 5/27/06, 5/28/06, 6/1/06, 6/3/06, 6/19/08, 6/20/08, 6/24/08, 6/25/08, 8/7/08 (Eddie solo)
  • Options
    csblackb wrote:
    I hate to be a downer, but here goes.

For what it was, I dug this show. Many of my friends and I were going to Charlotte 10/4/96, so I felt lucky to catch a show ahead of them. I was psyched to be there and enjoyed it for that.

But...

1) Getting in was ridiculous.

2) A buddy of mine scored lawn seats, but I was able to get seats from a kind west-coaster that wasn't going to use her east coast 10C ticket form. On our way in, we checked out the lawn, and noted that it was almost completely impossible to see the stage. We were completely appalled - it seemed grossly unfair for people to pay to get in and not be able to see the stage at all. Honestly, it was completely inexcusable that the band insisted on not using the tv screens. (I know it was a general policy during that tour, but they should have made an exception.)

3) I'd been lucky to that point not to catch a show where Ed was drinking much. (At 4/3/94, he was entirely drinking water.) At this show, he wasn't just drinking, he was full-blown fucking drunk. He was just all over the place. Bombing the lyrics on "Immortality" was such a letdown.

4) It was such a pain in the arse to get out of the seated area to get to the bathrooms that some dude a row behind me decided to just take a leak on the concrete floor. I couldn't figure out what was splashing against my leg, and almost wished I hadn't turned around to find out.

On the other hand, getting "Wash" was fantastic, and seeing Stone roll through "Mankind" was fun.

I wouldn't trade that night for anything, but I can't describe how much better a show Charlotte ended up being.

Thanks for posting that (about the screens)
    This was my 1st pj road trip experience (7 shows) and merriweather only show i've ever scalped tix for ($100 for the lawn)
    Not only were people standing, but standing on the seats with no prob from security...heard a GREAT show, but couldn't see a darn thing :(
    People stormed the railings and got into the venue, my BFF included, high jumps not being my event i was stuck and it really and truly sucked

SUPER Glad they use screens now.....
    '96 7 shows / '97 3 shows / '98 15 shows
    '00 12 shows / '03 4 shows / '06 6 shows
    '08 3 shows / '09 5 shows / '10 6 shows
  • Options
    I have to agree with the security sucking here. I talked to them before the show. The security staff was all marines from somewhere nearby.

I got kicked out of this show and six guys actually carried me out. I was yelling the whole time. They just dropped me outside, and I ended up hanging out with the coolest people just outside the venue. We had all been booted for various reasons. (smoking weed, jumping barriers.etc). We ended up yelling at the cops and fucking with them all night. Only pausing to hear the show on occassion. I remember I was so pissed to be outside during wash.
    90 shows and counting...some of my favs: Randall's Island night 2, Milwaukee '95 night 2, Hawaii '06, St Johns '05, PJ20!
  • Options
    My first show as well, I got a late start being a poor college student in the sticks of Northern Pa, but I have made up for that lately. I think we were last row of the reserved seating, great show with the exception of the pole blocking our view of Ed, seemed like he was playing peek-a-boo with us. No matter how we adjusted for the view we were obstructed by that damn pole! I was fortunate to keep my ticket and find a poster.

So the sickness continues with the Philly shows coming up... :mrgreen:
    If there were no Angels would there be no sin?
  • Options
    Wow, also my first show. I don't even remember how we got tickets at Penn State but we crammed into our buddies old school Buick and made the long drive, smoking and drinking our way there. I think that was also my only lawn Pearl Jam show.

Great thread.
  • Options
    This was my first show as well!!!!! I am begging anyone that has an extra poster for a reasonable sale/trade!!!!!! PLEASE!!!!!!!!!

The Dude Abides...
  • Options
    PJ2k3 wrote:

Mine too!! I went home and joined the 10C. Thus the 160xxx number. Imagine what it would have been when I had seen the '10C' mailing label when I purchased Ten. F me.

But getting back on point, great fucking show, and WASH at the tail end. Incredible. What a pain in the ass to get tickets to though. Fans, Tours and Tickets. Still got that 15ft wide stub.

my first show...imagine if I would have joined the ten club when I got home... #403XXX. didn't know 10c existed. Ugh.
    "I knew all the rules, but the rules did not know me. Guaranteed."

1996 Merriweather, MD; 1998 Camden, NJ; 2000 Camden, NJ; 2003 Camden, NJ; 2005 Philly, PA; 2006 Camden, NJ(nights 1 & 2); 2006 Arnhem, NED; 2008 Camden, NJ(nights 1 & 2), Washington DC, MSG(night 2) 2009 Philly Spectrum Shows(nights 1,2,3,4) 2010 Hartford,CT and MSG(night 2)

ED Solo - 2008 Washington DC, 2009 Philly, PA(nights 1&2)*Met Eddie =)
  • Options
    Empty GlassEmpty Glass In Rob's shed Posts: 12,329
    Yes, I remember this show. My second show (Austin '95) and this would be my first of three shows this week. Had lawns this show and the crowd was really obnoxious where I was, so I left mid set and listened to the remainder of the show laying on the hood of my car gazing at the stars. 30+ shows and I'm sure this will be the only one I leave early for.

Funny, no 10c tix this night, but '98 same venue 10c gave me front row Mike's side....stayed for the whole show.
    I've met Rob

DEGENERATE FUK

This place is dead

"THERE ARE NO CLIQUES, ONLY THOSE WHO DON'T JOIN THE FUN" - Empty circa 2015

"Kfsbho&$thncds" - F Me In the Brain - circa 2015
  • Options
    JUKINJUKIN Posts: 102
    yes it was a great show, one of the first times that ed reflected the light off his guitar on the ppl in the audience. he did it for a long time, it was so many people on the lawn that if you left your spot there was no way you could get back. it was packed and nobody wanted to leave. the show was great, the weather was perfect. i've got the boot somewhere .
    jukin
  • Options
    i don't remember annnny of the security/viewing issues...i just remember having a blast on the lawn. My 2nd show was Randall's Island night 1 :-)

• Options
    i don't remember annnny of the security/viewing issues...i just remember having a blast on the lawn. My 2nd show was Randall's Island night 1 :-)

another great one that led to my all time fav ed ramble on night 2 (and i would soo be one of those 6 people :))
    '96 7 shows / '97 3 shows / '98 15 shows
    '00 12 shows / '03 4 shows / '06 6 shows
    '08 3 shows / '09 5 shows / '10 6 shows