Options

Hidden Findings discovered in Backspacer Cover (Updated)

Comments

• Options
    JoJo Posts: 2,098
    Good work Arcticangel, I recon you are spot on. :D
    Do we all agree?

Pleatherman- Astronaut Drumer is a contender, pretty sad if it is.

Thankyou IamMine - your hubby uses HIS brain.

So what needs Descovering now? :geek:
  • Options
    HeavyHandsHeavyHands Posts: 2,130
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pictures_of_Lily

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lilian_Baylis

Somebody in another thread just pointed out a lyrical reference in "Johnny Guitar" to the Who Song "Pictures of Lily." It turns out the Lily who is the subject mater in that song is Lily Bayliss, a theater star from the turn of the last century. I've looked for a picture of her in a dress similar to the album artwork but can find one. Anyone else?
    "A lot more people are capable of being big out there that just don't give themselves a chance." -Stone Gossard
  • Options
    I'm really shitty with techno stuff, so no. But good thinking,
    Lilly was a lady in a ' revealing' picture, WHO got a young boy through his masterbating days.
  • Options
    gobrowns19gobrowns19 Posts: 1,447
    I only made it up to about page 17 before I started my own investigating. I didn't come up with much, but for some reason I feel this image is relevant, maybe someone else can go off it.

For panel 1:

the+burning+train.jpg

It's not really that close I suppose. Also, I really feel like the person running from the train is Star Trek related...
    Happiness is only real when shared
  • Options
    igotid_8igotid_8 Cleveland, Ohio Posts: 497
    After getting the album and reading the lyrics, a lot of the panels make more sense.

ArticAngel hit it on the head with the girl in the red dress - my thoughts exactly!

Panel #3 - the Sirens Ed sings about in Force of Nature.

Panel #5 - "Brain is wired" from Unthought Known

Panel #4 - "Brain is deep, are you sinking?"

Panel #7 - I have no earthly idea.
    2000 Columbus, Pittsburgh
    2003 Cleveland, Pittsburgh, Columbus
    2004 Toledo
    2005 Hamilton, Pittsburgh
    2006 Cleveland, Auburn Hills, Pittsburgh
    2009 Chicago
    2010 Cleveland
    2013 Wrigley, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 Detroit
    2016 Tampa, Wrigley 1, Wrigley 2
    2018 Wrigley 1, Wrigley 2
    2022 Hamilton
    2023 Chicago 1, Chicago 2, Austin 1, Austin 2
  • Options
    Interesting story about the mouse with the ear on it's back, known as the Vacanti Mouse...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vacanti_mouse

http://www.abc.net.au/science/articles/ ... 644154.htm

freakyanimals_mouse_ears_02.jpg
  • Options
    igotid_8 wrote:
    After getting the album and reading the lyrics, a lot of the panels make more sense.

ArticAngel hit it on the head with the girl in the red dress - my thoughts exactly!

Panel #3 - the Sirens Ed sings about in Force of Nature.

Panel #5 - "Brain is wired" from Unthought Known

Panel #4 - "Brain is deep, are you sinking?"

Panel #7 - I have no earthly idea.

Absolutely, yes...the Sirens are referenced in Force of Nature in the lyrics.

Here is a post of mine from page 9 from earlier in this thread:

"in the upper right photo....the three blonde women coming out of the skull could quite possibly represent the 3 Sirens of mythology that lured sailors to crash their ships into the rocks with their hypnotizing song. It was prophesied when any ship was able to sail past their island without succumbing to the sweet song, the Sirens would leap into the sea and drown."

I was just speculating at the time, turns out I was right.

Interesting to see how more things are making sense and coming together now that the album is out.
  • Options
    GeoffGeoff Posts: 44
    the arts made me kill my neighbors! it is evil!
  • Options
    The identity of the Cyclops in the liner notes is solved!
    It is another reference to Lost In Space. In the liner notes the Cyclops is holding a TV over it's head.
    Here is a URL to the model used in the episode. (Sorry I couldn't post since the picture was too big.) Notice it is holding a square rock over it's head instead of a TV.

http://www.xofacto.com/d/lunarliscyclops.jpg

You can also find this model for sale on amazon.com if you search on "Lost In Space Cyclops".
  • Options
    IamMineIamMine Posts: 2,743

Absolutely, yes...the Sirens are referenced in Force of Nature in the lyrics.

Here is a post of mine from page 9 from earlier in this thread:

"in the upper right photo....the three blonde women coming out of the skull could quite possibly represent the 3 Sirens of mythology that lured sailors to crash their ships into the rocks with their hypnotizing song. It was prophesied when any ship was able to sail past their island without succumbing to the sweet song, the Sirens would leap into the sea and drown."

I was just speculating at the time, turns out I was right.

Interesting to see how more things are making sense and coming together now that the album is out.

Good job, Chris! :D

I'm so glad this thread is still alive!

Everything they've done with this record is truly incredible and the people they work with... the artwork hunt, artwork, website design, digital/internet record design (that's pretty damn creative with what they did!) working with indie records and also throwin in free orange vinyls to make it fun for the PJ fans, the list goes on....

It's so beautiful to see people getting together and discussing about their favorite band's new record in many different ways.... :)
    JA: Why do I get the Ticketmaster question?
    EV: It's your band.
    ~Q Magazine

"Kisses for the glow...kisses for the lease." - BDRII
  • Options
    doctor_1.jpg

I read in another thread, that the top left "Burning Train" drawing has the initials MR written in the flames... Which stands for Dr. Michael Richter, who got hit by a car and died recently. The album is dedicated to him as well... Just wanted to pass on the info.

Nobody has commented on my Al Frankin post, that's him in the TV, no?
  • Options
    Who PrincessWho Princess out here in the fields Posts: 7,305
    HeavyHands wrote:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pictures_of_Lily

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lilian_Baylis

Somebody in another thread just pointed out a lyrical reference in "Johnny Guitar" to the Who Song "Pictures of Lily." It turns out the Lily who is the subject mater in that song is Lily Bayliss, a theater star from the turn of the last century. I've looked for a picture of her in a dress similar to the album artwork but can find one. Anyone else?
    This doesn't solve your problem exactly but for a time Keith Moon used a custom made drum kit called the Pictures of Lily kit. It featured artwork supposedly depicting Lily Bayliss on the shell of the drums. This was probably Keith's best known drum kit. It was used when The Who toured the U.S. in 1967 and can be seen during their appearance on The Smothers Brothers Show which is in the movie The Kids Are Alright.

km-picsoflilykit.jpg

For more info and pictures:

http://www.thewho.net/whotabs/equipment ... 67-68.html
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • Options
    SpagsSpags Leigh-on-Sea, UK Posts: 2,924
    Lost in Space Cyclops made me smile this morning. Thanks for posting that,
    Nature drunk and High
  • Options
    pic7.jpg

wow this thread has just hurt my brain & lost me an hour ! You are all geniuses !
  • Options
    I saw a different cartoon drawing somewhere of Stone wearing the Gilligan hat. It's not in the album artwork but I saw it somewhere on the web on some sort of promo. Maybe it is the upcoming Spin mag... Anyway I just thought I'd throw that out there.
  • Options
    johnc66johnc66 Posts: 19
    edited September 2009
    Reading left to right, top to bottom, picture panels 3, 4, and 7 are the most perplexing.

My wife took a look at the cover and said the outline of the boy's face in panel 4 looks like a reflection, as though he were looking into a fish tank....interesting perspective since I hadn't heard that one brought up on this thread yet.... a reflection off the glass of a fish tank...hmmm.

By the way...I agree that the picture on the television in cyclops hands does resemble Al Franken...BUT what does it mean!!

Also, nuclear explosion in panel 7 could be from Dr. Strangelove.
    Who could forget that movie classic!

I suggest it's plausible since one of Pearl Jam's concert posters has similarities to one of the posters from the movie.

Poster from the movie:
    Drsluv.jpg

Poster from the June 1, 2006 East Rutherford, NJ Concert (Ames Bros. Poster)
    !B(b2cKgBGk~$(KGrHgoH-CEEjlLl0us,BKcO8EluMg~~_12.JPG
    Post edited by johnc66 on
  • Options
    elwayvedderelwayvedder South Jersey Posts: 9,047
    johnc66 wrote:

By the way...I agree that the picture on the television in cyclops hands does resemble Al Franken...BUT what does it mean!!

No way, its Smitty!! I swear that's him in that tv. Darn it I wish someone from 10c would confirm or deny!! SLH? Rubysdad? Come on!!
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    This is kinda off the topic but related to Tom Tomorrow.

http://thismodernworld.com/4921
    September 23rd, 2009
    Tom Tomorrow:
    Backspacer sightings

Somewhere in Manhattan: http://www.thismodernworld.com/blog/PJmanhattan.jpg

Easy Street Records in Seattle: http://www.thismodernworld.com/blog/eas ... nside1.jpg

Also, for those inquiring about the poster I designed for the Chicago show: I don’t know when I will have signed/numbered copies available for sale. Unlike some of the other artists PJ works with, I do not print these myself, and have not received my copies yet.

posted by Tom Tomorrow at 12:45 PM
    Post edited by IamMine on
    ~Q Magazine

• Options
    samnationsamnation Los Angeles, CA Posts: 277
    I saw a different cartoon drawing somewhere of Stone wearing the Gilligan hat. It's not in the album artwork but I saw it somewhere on the web on some sort of promo. Maybe it is the upcoming Spin mag... Anyway I just thought I'd throw that out there.

That is the Tom Tomorrow cover of SPIN magazine that subscribers got in the mail. But there is a poster of the same art in all SPIN mags with PJ on the cover.
    Sam
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    IamMine wrote:

http://thismodernworld.com/4921
    September 23rd, 2009
    Tom Tomorrow:
    Backspacer sightings

Somewhere in Manhattan: http://www.thismodernworld.com/blog/PJmanhattan.jpg

Easy Street Records in Seattle: http://www.thismodernworld.com/blog/eas ... nside1.jpg

I am unlikely to get copies of all these variously-formatted displays through official channels, but would love to have them for my archives, if anyone has access to any of it for whatever reason. (Unused copies, I mean — please don’t go ripping the posters down off walls…)

Also, for those inquiring about the poster I designed for the Chicago show: I don’t know when I will have signed/numbered copies available for sale. Unlike some of the other artists PJ works with, I do not print these myself, and have not received my copies yet.

posted by Tom Tomorrow at 12:45 PM

EDITED in respect to IamMine's edits:

I just take it as he's very excited and enthusiastic to be a part of the PJ Backspacer world and wants every version of 'his children" that are out there. I would feel the same way. I am sure management will get him stuff of everything they have created with his work but maybe he isn't 100% sure so he'd ask. I think its neat that a man who did this awesome work for our band is reaching out to any joe public guy for assistance in collecting every version of his work
    Post edited by elwayvedder on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    edited: wasn't really related to the thread and to keep this thread on track.
    Post edited by IamMine on
    ~Q Magazine

• Options
    edited September 2009
    EDITED in respect to IamMine's edits:
    IamMine wrote:

I just take it as he's very excited and enthusiastic to be a part of the PJ Backspacer world and wants every version of 'his children" that are out there. I would feel the same way. I am sure management will get him stuff of everything they have created with his work but maybe he isn't 100% sure so he'd ask. I think its neat that a man who did this awesome work for our band is reaching out to any joe public guy for assistance in collecting every version of his work

Thanks for your input, elwayvedder. You are right, he is very excited and enthusiastic to have been part of the PJ team and all that...

thanks for sharing your opinion, elwayvedder. :)

Peace out.

I respect your observation and opinion. Just think though, could you imagine the excitement and energy you would feel if your hard work and dedication is the main theme for the best band ever's new album? I wouldn't be able to sleep at night so I can channel some of his excitement and therefore have an understanding. Its just unfortunate that he's not getting every version of everything from the get go and has to wait or ask.
    Post edited by elwayvedder on
  • Options
    Yes, you are right, elwayvedder... :)

I think I should go edit the posts up there... it is not really related to this thread and wouldn't want to spread negativity in this thread.

Thanks, really!
    ~Q Magazine

• Options
    arduplardupl Scranton, PA Posts: 11
    not sure if this has been posted yet but here is the poster that inspired Johnny Guitar:

29xgro1.jpg
    "I know I was born and I know that I'll die. The in between is mine"
  • Options
    I think I know who the red dress woman is...

"Johnny Guitar Watson staring at me
    riding on three wheels a woman on his knee
    with a leg under a red dress I wish I could see..."

"On the left the girl in red so innocent
    Can't help but wonder where and who she is."

Seems like maybe they don't quite know either... ;)
    Maybe I'm reading too much into it... but it clicked when I looked at the lyrics today.

I totally agreed...earlier! :D

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=105643&start=360#p2518091
    There's a lot to be said for nowhere...
  • Options
    vital5vital5 Posts: 5,486
    johnc66 wrote:

No way, its Smitty!! I swear that's him in that tv. Darn it I wish someone from 10c would confirm or deny!! SLH? Rubysdad? Come on!!
    The guy in the picture on the television is the one and only Smitty....
    So in saying that... the person in the robot's television face might be band related too.. and not a famous person...
  • Options
    vital5 wrote:
    johnc66 wrote:

The guy in the picture on the television is the one and only Smitty....
    So in saying that... the person in the robot's television face might be band related too.. and not a famous person...

Finally, thank you! I have been waiting days for someone else to agree with me...
  • Options
    ardupl wrote:
    not sure if this has been posted yet but here is the poster that inspired Johnny Guitar:

29xgro1.jpg

This actually isn't the poster that inspired Johnny Guitar. The inspiration came from the cover to the album "What the Hell Is This?" I'm sure it's been posted somewhere
  • Options
    Tell us more please........................
  • Options
    arduplardupl Scranton, PA Posts: 11
    mvhess wrote:
    ardupl wrote:

29xgro1.jpg

This actually isn't the poster that inspired Johnny Guitar. The inspiration came from the cover to the album "What the Hell Is This?" I'm sure it's been posted somewhere

my bad, linked to the wrong picture. thanks.

watson_john_whatthehe_101b.jpg
    "I know I was born and I know that I'll die. The in between is mine"