We who like The Fixer (and love PJ)!

davidtriosdavidtrios Posts: 9,732
edited July 2009 in The Porch
Cmon People!!!!!!!!! It fucken rocks (and you know this)
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• AndoAndo Denver Posts: 410
    huh??
  • Nats310Nats310 Posts: 38
    I like it, and wish I could find a place to buy the single online (since I refuse to be the a-hole who downloads PJ off a "free" site). I felt generally good after hearing it. And then I sent the Myspace link to my mom, who's going through one of the toughest times you could imagine, and she said it made her feel better. That's good enough for me. I love the band, and they've entertained me for 18 years, so I'm going to trust that the album is going to be good and not read the doomsday posts from people who haven't graduated from 1994. The band seems to move on with each album, and if the naysayers don't like it, maybe they should hitch a ride with Marty McFly, put on their flannels and Doc Martens and rock out to Evenflow and Corduroy over...and over...and over. For those of you who don't like the song. . . just don't listen. Seems like a simple "fix."
  • LukinFanLukinFan Florida Posts: 28,971
    Ando wrote:
    huh??
    :lol:
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • It's a little mainstream, but I really like it.

Just wish it was a little bit longer.. :(
  • rawpixelsrawpixels Posts: 912
    I definitely like The Fixer. There's nothing incredibly deep or emotional about it, but after listening to it about 50 times already, I enjoy it.

Got Some is definitely a better song, though. I'm excited to hear the whole album.
    One man stands alone awaiting
    for her to come home
    eyes upon the horizon
    in the dark before the
    darkness leaves the dawn
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,712
    Nats310 wrote:
    I like it, and wish I could find a place to buy the single online (since I refuse to be the a-hole who downloads PJ off a "free" site). I felt generally good after hearing it. And then I sent the Myspace link to my mom, who's going through one of the toughest times you could imagine, and she said it made her feel better. That's good enough for me. I love the band, and they've entertained me for 18 years, so I'm going to trust that the album is going to be good and not read the doomsday posts from people who haven't graduated from 1994. The band seems to move on with each album, and if the naysayers don't like it, maybe they should hitch a ride with Marty McFly, put on their flannels and Doc Martens and rock out to Evenflow and Corduroy over...and over...and over. For those of you who don't like the song. . . just don't listen. Seems like a simple "fix."

This is one of the most mind-numbingly annoying posts I've ever read.

1) Downloading it off a free site wouldn't make you an asshole. You're streaming it for free from their myspace. You're gonna buy the album anyway. So how would that make you an asshole if you wanted an mp3 of it?

2) The Marty McFly thing, or "not graduating from 1994"........you people have to understand that those of us that don't enjoy a new Pearl Jam song or album aren't looking for "Jeremy lives" or "Vitalogy continued." Got Some is a good tune......The Fixer is not. It's possible to think that without hoping for the same old stuff that we're accustomed to.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • I loooooove the song. I was always the person that would skip the songs that got overplayed so I am getting my listens in now. This is a very good. I like how the riff kinda forms 2 different rhythms when the drums come in. The lyrics are still as heartfelt and still have many different meanings as only Ed is good at. This song will be awesome live.

A lot of people seem to be dogging the song. I think because every time a new PJ album comes out, people read the press about it and if it says anything about new directions musically, people always think of their favorite album and expect the new one to sound exactly like it. When it doesn't, they just complain. Let me tell you something, people...this band is who and what they are because they kept making the music THEY wanted to make. That's a main reason why people are waiting for it to sound like their favorite album. But it's not gonna happen. It's evolution, baby.

If they are fine with new fans and want to write a fucking catchy song (and it is a FUCKING CATCHY song) to garner a wider fan base, they can. THEY are Pearl Jam, not any of us. If you don't like The Fixer, I hope you like some of the other new songs. I think this album is gonna be awesome. The 2 songs we have heard(Got Some and The Fixer) are definitely brilliant songs with a new direction. That's why I love Pearl Jam. They constantly rock my face.
    Chicago 8-23-09

• dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    It's a little mainstream, but I really like it.

Just wish it was a little bit longer.. :(

Sadly, Pearl Jam has become a little mainstream...not full-blown, but I'm just saying...they aren't unknown. Thank God they haven't played the Super Bowl yet. ;)

I'm excited to read the threads over-analyzing all the juvenile details of the song..but fuck it, I like it too!! :D
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
  • asmacumberasmacumber Posts: 24
    dcfaithful wrote:
    Sadly, Pearl Jam has become a little mainstream...not full-blown, but I'm just saying...they aren't unknown. :D

What do you mean "a little main stream"? The band has sold over 65 million albums. I hate to tell you this, but the cat's out of the bag. You're right ... they aren't unknown.

They have never been, since their inception, an Indie band. They've made themselves more "Indie" as the years have passed and the fair-weather-fans have dropped off the bandwagon, but they were a mass-market machine for the first few years of their existence.
  • LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    oh come on kids. It's a "cute" song. lol.. reminds me of Let My Love Open The Door!
  • starmap3333starmap3333 Posts: 3,908
    The song is catchy, it rocks, and its lyrics have meaning. It's Pearl Jam... period.
    Ithaca, NY-11/6/91 SPAC, NY-8/4/92 Rochester, NY-4/7/94 Toronto-9/21/96 Buffalo, NY-10/1/96 Barrie, ONT-8/20/98 Pittsburgh, PA- 8/25/98 Jones Beach, NY-8/23/00 Jones Beach, NY-8/24/00 Jones Beach, NY-8/25/00 SPAC, NY-8/27/00 Buffalo, NY-5/2/03 MSG-7/8/03 MSG -7/9/03 Hamilton, ONT-9/13/05 Albany, NY-5/12/06 Cleveland, OH-5/20/06 Camden, NJ-5/27/06 East Ruth, NJ-6/3/06 Chicago, IL-8/5/07 Bonnaroo-6/14/08 MSG-6/24/08 MSG-7/25/08 Mansfield, MA-7/30/08 Chicago, IL-8/23/09 Philly, PA-10/30/09 Philly, PA-10/31/09 Buffalo, NY 5/10/10 MSG 1&2 5/20-21/10
    its lyrics have meaning.

2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Nats310Nats310 Posts: 38
    Nats310 wrote:

This is one of the most mind-numbingly annoying posts I've ever read.

1) Downloading it off a free site wouldn't make you an asshole. You're streaming it for free from their myspace. You're gonna buy the album anyway. So how would that make you an asshole if you wanted an mp3 of it?

2) The Marty McFly thing, or "not graduating from 1994"........you people have to understand that those of us that don't enjoy a new Pearl Jam song or album aren't looking for "Jeremy lives" or "Vitalogy continued." Got Some is a good tune......The Fixer is not. It's possible to think that without hoping for the same old stuff that we're accustomed to.

Look, I may be mind-numbingly annoying, but if this is the MOST mind-numbing post you've read, you haven't been on these boards much. The reason a lot of people think that many haters are looking for Jeremy or Vitalogy redux is that many people on these boards -- literally, hundred to the dozen or so who profess to like the new music -- bitch about everything this band does -- ticket prices, ticket distribution, show locations, song releases, lyrical content, the last 3 albums. It's really hard to understand why these people claim to be fans when they really don't seem to like much that the band has done in the last 6-8 years. That may not be you, but you'd be hard-pressed to deny that this is the general tenor of many postings.

The streaming myspace version and the radio versions are distributed by the band as teasers -- you like this song, buy the album. Can't wait for the album? Then buy the single. You pay for the privilege of not being stuck at your computer when you want to hear it. It is not license to make your own mp3, then go onto a bit torrent site and distribute the song to others who also like the song and also want to own it. Just as you don't go into Costco, eat a free sample and then walk out the front door with the full product without paying for it, I don't think it's right to download PJ songs for free when you profess to be a big PJ fan. I find that mind-numbingly annoying.
  • justamjustam Posts: 21,392
    I like the positive message in the words!! :mrgreen:

Why do songs have to be dreadfully sad to be considered deep?
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
    Nats310 wrote:
    Look, I may be mind-numbingly annoying, but if this is the MOST mind-numbing post you've read, you haven't been on these boards much. The reason a lot of people think that many haters are looking for Jeremy or Vitalogy redux is that many people on these boards -- literally, hundred to the dozen or so who profess to like the new music -- bitch about everything this band does -- ticket prices, ticket distribution, show locations, song releases, lyrical content, the last 3 albums. It's really hard to understand why these people claim to be fans when they really don't seem to like much that the band has done in the last 6-8 years. That may not be you, but you'd be hard-pressed to deny that this is the general tenor of many postings.

It's mind-numbing because so many people post stuff like that. "Well go listen to Jeremy if you don't like the new stuff." Posts like that. So it's not you, it's that mindset that's been beaten to death that's annoying.

I see where you're coming from though....sick of hearing people bitch. But I think there are times where bitching is warranted. Not if you don't like a song. Take The Fixer......I don't like it. But I'm not bitching about it. But I think the ticket prices are a very reasonable thing to bitch about if one chooses to. But I understand that you probably hate that like I hate fans who think that not liking a new song means you're living in the past. But in my opinion, there aren't that many fans on here who want them to make the same type of music they did in the mid-90's.

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • asmacumberasmacumber Posts: 24
    Nats310 wrote:
    The streaming myspace version and the radio versions are distributed by the band as teasers -- you like this song, buy the album. Can't wait for the album? Then buy the single. You pay for the privilege of not being stuck at your computer when you want to hear it. It is not license to make your own mp3, then go onto a bit torrent site and distribute the song to others who also like the song and also want to own it. Just as you don't go into Costco, eat a free sample and then walk out the front door with the full product without paying for it, I don't think it's right to download PJ songs for free when you profess to be a big PJ fan. I find that mind-numbingly annoying.

Actually, I remember a few years ago, when Napster was big, the band encouraged free sharing of their music. And believe it or not, there are some PJ fans that would have to choose between food and buying a song or CD. I understand the band needs to be reimbursed for their work, but ask most bands and they'll tell you that they make their money from tours and merchandise sales ... album sales generate more income for the label than the artist.
  • oh come on kids. It's a "cute" song. lol.. reminds me of Let My Love Open The Door!

That's exactly what I was thinking about the Fixer. I'm sure that back in the day there were Pete Townsend fans freaking out about "Let My Love Open The Door" not sounding like "The Who" enough. Songs that cause "outrage" to "fans", most of the time are best. Yeah,yeah,yeah!!! Who's not going to be singing "Yeah, yeah, yeah!!!" at the top of their lungs live in concert? I know I will be in L.A. show 1, yeah, yeah, yeah!!!
  • FW46778FW46778 Posts: 227
    Guess I am just an optimist but I love the song, and its positive message. What songs are deep? You want deep go read a book. I thought rock music was supposed to be about good vibes and good times. or am i dumb?
    I used to be MILKwasAbadChoice...Now I am just FW46778...a math teacher in jersey
  • tcaporaletcaporale Posts: 1,577
    I just think it's a really good song.
  • Its good, not their best, but I like it.
  • TEEJAM11TEEJAM11 Posts: 335
    I REALLY love this song.

Keep on rocking Pearl Jam and Jamers!!!!

I personal could use some fixing in my life....

Almost a year ago my wife was 8 1/2 months pregnant and she was in a car crash...
    I almost lost her and sadly lost my daughter... Point being my life is up side down and this song
    talks about getting it back and that's just what my wife and I are trying to do... working on The fixer...LOL

Thanks Pearl Jam...your music always has helped me threw the years...
  • Better DanBetter Dan Posts: 5,684
    FW46778 wrote:
    Guess I am just an optimist but I love the song, and its positive message. What songs are deep? You want deep go read a book. I thought rock music was supposed to be about good vibes and good times. or am i dumb?

Agreed!
    2003: San Antonio, Houston, Dallas, Seattle; 2005: Monterrey; 2006: Chicago 1 & 2, Grand Rapids, Cleveland, Detroit; 2008: West Palm Beach, Tampa; 2009: Austin, LA 3 & 4, San Diego; 2010: Kansas City, St. Louis, Columbus, Indianapolis; 2011: PJ20 1 & 2; 2012: Missoula; 2013: Dallas, Oklahoma City, Seattle; 2014: Tulsa; 2016: Columbia, New York City 1 & 2; 2018: London, Seattle 1 & 2; 2021: Ohana; 2022: Oklahoma City
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,368
    it didn't hit me the same way that "Got Some" did when I first heard it, but I really like it. can't wait for the whole album!! i really love the positive message that it conveys.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • the Chadthe Chad Posts: 65
    The Fixer rocksI Love it! Upbeat positive-fun! A breath of fresh air, dig it much more then WWS...
    Prob one of my favorite PJ songs since Smile :D Love PJ+Fixer Good Stuff-
  • triphobztriphobz Posts: 152
    Great Song.. I feel it will only get stronger with more listens...
    As for the whole "warranted ticket cost bitching" go to a U2 concert than get back to me about prices being too high.. :lol:
  • Looking at the thread title, should i create a new thread entitled "We who like The Fixer (but HATE PJ)"?
    You may have seen me:
    Cleveland 5/20/2006
    Pittsburgh 6/23/2006
    Columbia 6/16/2008
    Bristow 5/13/2010
  • evanserevanser Posts: 152
    Just wish it was a little bit longer.. :([/quote]

thats what she said
  • patrickredeyespatrickredeyes Posts: 8,834
    I didn't like it so much this morning. But this afternoon I have learned to like it. :)

I can't wait to hear this live in Chicago and Seattle. :mrgreen:
  • its deffinately growing on me .... fun tune
  • lowenanlowenan Posts: 79
    I can be as critical as everyone, but I think The Fixer is a great uptempo song. Fits into the PJ catalogue really nicely.