Options

PJ Opener in Chicago?

ontheroadontheroad Posts: 250
edited June 2009 in The Porch
Magic Slim & the Teardrops, 9:30 p.m. (9:15 p.m. RiverRoad Lifetime Achievement Award Ceremony)

Magic Slim is a living blues legend who migrated from the South to Chicago during the 1950s. Slim plays raw, intense blues. His guitar tone is tough and cutting, united with a vibrato formed by using his fingers against the strings to reproduce the sound of a slide guitar while still being able to bend the notes. With an encyclopedic repertoire of hundreds of songs, his selections reflect the audience, giving his live shows a charming impromptu quality.

Magic Slim has a demanding travel schedule playing from Mississippi to the nightclubs in Chicago to concert stages throughout the world. Magic Slim & the Teardrops' performances have become legendary. The Teardrops consist of Jon McDonald on guitar/vocals, Danny O'Connor on bass, and Lenny Media on drums/vocals. They play the blues with an undeniable intensity that will leave you out of breath, lying on the floor, and in need of more. Magic Slim's live shows are so electrifying that Eddie Vedder invited him to open Pearl Jam's concert in Chicago after catching the Teardrops' performance at a local nightclub.

This big man of the blues was born Morris Holt in Torrence, Mississippi, on August 7, 1937. The son of sharecroppers, Magic Slim took an early interest in music, fashioning a guitar for himself with baling wire from a broom, which he nailed to the wall. Magic Slim earned his nickname playing with Magic Sam, who referred to the then lanky adolescent as Slim.

Join the Mississippi Valley Blues Society in celebrating Magic Slim's illustrious career. He will be presented with the RiverRoad Lifetime Achievement
"I remember when you sang that song about today, now it's tomorrow and everything has changed." - Bu$hleaguer
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,942
    That'd be great! Sounds cool, based on what I can hear on their website. I do love me blues. Where'd you find this, if you don't mind me asking?
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    Hawk123Hawk123 Posts: 2,006
    benjs wrote:
    That'd be great! Sounds cool, based on what I can hear on their website. I do love me blues. Where'd you find this, if you don't mind me asking?

http://www.rcreader.com/music/mvbs-july-4-tent-2009/
  • Options
    BeerBaronBeerBaron Toronto-ish Posts: 4,089
    Hawk123 wrote:
    benjs wrote:

Are you doing the Chicago shows?
    1996: Toronto 1998: Barrie 2000: Saratoga Springs 2003: Buffalo, Toronto 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto 2006: Toronto x2, Cleveland, Detroit, Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, Gorge #1 2007: London, Dusseldorf, Vic, Lolla 2008: WPB, Tampa, DC, MSG x2, Hartford, Boston x2, Beacon 2009: Toronto, Chicago x2, Seattle x2, LA #3&4, San Diego, Philly x4 2010: Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford 2011: Montreal, Toronto x2, Hamilton 2012: Missoula 2013: London, Wrigley, Pittsburgh, Buffalo, Hartford, Dallas, OKC
  • Options
    Hawk123Hawk123 Posts: 2,006
    BeerBaron wrote:
    Hawk123 wrote:
    benjs wrote:

Are you doing the Chicago shows?

No Chicago shows for me, just the one in Toronto. Are you going to Chicago?
  • Options
    hitmanhitman Posts: 469
    i'm going to Chicago! and i actually heard the Hip is doing a double bill with PJ that night!

just kidding. that'd be sooooo great though. i just saw the Hip in san fran and it was great, as always...

seriously, the Hip and PJ sounds like a wet dream waiting to happen....
  • Options
    BH71937 wrote:
    i'm going to Chicago! and i actually heard the Hip is doing a double bill with PJ that night!

just kidding. that'd be sooooo great though. i just saw the Hip in san fran and it was great, as always...

Agree to disagree. Saw them at Massey Hall with great seats, and was SO disappointed. Zero energy, poor performance, lack of enthusiasm from the band. In my opinion, the Tragically Hip show I saw that night was the antithesis of everything Pearl Jam is.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    Jokertt14Jokertt14 Posts: 2,566
    Does Ed still come out and play a couple before the Opening act .. he was doing that in 04' vote for whatever shows ... ??
  • Options
    jokertt14 wrote:
    Does Ed still come out and play a couple before the Opening act .. he was doing that in 04' vote for whatever shows ... ??
    He does it when he feels like it.. he may, or may not.

EV
  • Options
    BH71937 wrote:

Man, you almost gave me a heart attack there. I couldn't see the Hip being the type of band for PJ to select as an opener though.
    1996: Toronto 1998: Barrie 2000: Saratoga Springs 2003: Buffalo, Toronto 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto 2006: Toronto x2, Cleveland, Detroit, Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, Gorge #1 2007: London, Dusseldorf, Vic, Lolla 2008: WPB, Tampa, DC, MSG x2, Hartford, Boston x2, Beacon 2009: Toronto, Chicago x2, Seattle x2, LA #3&4, San Diego, Philly x4 2010: Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford 2011: Montreal, Toronto x2, Hamilton 2012: Missoula 2013: London, Wrigley, Pittsburgh, Buffalo, Hartford, Dallas, OKC
  • Options
    Hawk123 wrote:
    No Chicago shows for me, just the one in Toronto. Are you going to Chicago?
    Yep :) Couldn't turn down my fav band in my fav American city :) Plus, I LOVE arena shows and the Toronto sho is outdoors, so this will be a nice contrast to that ...
  • Options
    Jokertt14Jokertt14 Posts: 2,566
    benjs wrote:
    jokertt14 wrote:
    He does it when he feels like it.. he may, or may not.

thanks just thought i would ask the last time i have seen the hole band was Cleavland 06' and i couldn't recall him doing it then ..
  • Options
    benjs wrote:
    BH71937 wrote:

Agree to disagree. Saw them at Massey Hall with great seats, and was SO disappointed. Zero energy, poor performance, lack of enthusiasm from the band. In my opinion, the Tragically Hip show I saw that night was the antithesis of everything Pearl Jam is.

wow... do you LIKE the Hip? or did you chance upon the tix?
  • Options
    BH71937 wrote:
    benjs wrote:
    BH71937 wrote:

I like them, and made a point of getting tickets..since the show I have been listening to them less and less though. I found it to be a completely uninspired (and overpriced) performance.

EV
  • Options
    FW46778FW46778 Posts: 227
    Just checked their website and it appears that they are in vermont when PJ is in Chicago
    I used to be MILKwasAbadChoice...Now I am just FW46778...a math teacher in jersey
  • Options
    FW46778 wrote:
    Just checked their website and it appears that they are in vermont when PJ is in Chicago
    Not for night two, who knows? Or, more realistic, Eddie asked him, he can't make it.

EV
  • Options
    "In 1994 Eddie Vedder personally selected the band to open a show for Pearl Jam at the New Regal Theater."

Got this from a simple google search. So I guess they are not the opener.
  • Options
    http://www.pearljam.com/show/new-regal- ... ar-13-1994

Here's the setlist for that show. Doesn't say anything about who opened, but whoever it was got to see a great set.
  • Options
    Some info on the show from a RS article on Five Horizons:

That's not to say that Pearl Jam have forever resigned themselves to the Enormodome. After a two-day breather, the band descended upon the New Regal Theater -- Chicago's answer to Harlem's Apollo. Of the first three dates on the tour, this was the must-see for old fans. Vedder, nursing a cold, seemed to be having a tough time of it during the first few numbers, but a third of the way into the set, the hoarseness dissipated, and from there on in, the show was a rowdy tour de force, chock-full of rarities ("Yellow Ledbetter," "Footsteps," "Alone") and shot through with electricity. Midway through an encore of "Porch," an exuberant Vedder edged his way out onto a high balcony. Perched high above the crowd, apparently having realized too late that the throng below represented more of a threat than the jump, he paused for an agonizing interval before finally giving himself over to a backward free fall. As expected, the fans below politely caught him, then immediately transformed themselves into a pack of wild dogs. The several minutes that passed before crew members were able to fish Vedder out of the melee were scary, indeed. For Vedder, the incident was probably worse than scary; it was a harsh reminder -- in the middle of a week that otherwise saw the singer growing to accept the position he's in -- of the things that he can no longer do. Given that, Pearl Jam couldn't have chosen a more appropriate song with which to bid adieu to Chicago than the spare, achingly beautiful "Angel."

In 1991, around the time Vedder wrote the words to the song, he was under the spell of a book he'd found called The Eloping Angels. Written in the 1800s, it tells of a pair of angels who yearn for the love and intimacy they are unable to attain in heaven. It is a story about longing for things just beyond one's grasp and about the torturous isolation suffered by beings who are set apart from others. Those themes figure prominently in Vedder's lyrics to "Angel." At the time he wrote them, he probably had no idea how eerily they would one day echo his own situation.

To anyone unfamiliar with the song's genesis, the full impact of those lyrics would have been lost. But to watch Vedder on that last night in Chicago, pouring his soul into lines like "I'm not living what was promised, I am close but can't enjoy" was to be absolutely, spine chillingly certain that for him, the words had just grown a little weightier.

Interesting info on "Angel" and now I want to hear this concert.
  • Options
    wow... do you LIKE the Hip? or did you chance upon the tix?[/quote]
    I like them, and made a point of getting tickets..since the show I have been listening to them less and less though. I found it to be a completely uninspired (and overpriced) performance.[/quote]

Bummer... i am sorry you didn't enjoy it. whereas the rest of the band is admittedly a little stoic, Gordie is the most manic frontman i have seen. i guess he had an off night. sorry to hear it.
  • Options
    BH71937 wrote:
    I like them, and made a point of getting tickets..since the show I have been listening to them less and less though. I found it to be a completely uninspired (and overpriced) performance.[/quote]

Bummer... i am sorry you didn't enjoy it. whereas the rest of the band is admittedly a little stoic, Gordie is the most manic frontman i have seen. i guess he had an off night. sorry to hear it.[/quote]
    Oh, he definitely had stage antics... I just found them strange. A rag is not a stage prop, and the crowd doesn't want your sweat when you're done with said rag.

EV
  • Options
    Bummer... i am sorry you didn't enjoy it. whereas the rest of the band is admittedly a little stoic, Gordie is the most manic frontman i have seen. i guess he had an off night. sorry to hear it.[/quote]

Oh, he definitely had stage antics... I just found them strange. A rag is not a stage prop, and the crowd doesn't want your sweat when you're done with said rag.[/quote]

ok... as you said way back, we agree to disagree.... eddie does a very similiar "theatre" style of performance (counting 12345 in animal, making the "V" in jeremy, etc.) as gordie, albeit in a definitely more restrained way. i've seen the hip a few more times than i've seen pearl jam (liked 'em both since the early/mid-90's) i respect your view(s) and whereas i'm sorry you didn't like the Hip live, i am glad you gave 'em a shot.