Options

Soundgarden in talks for reunion?

InHidingInOttawaInHidingInOttawa Posts: 154
edited June 2009 in The Porch
By WENN.COM

Soundgarden are in talks to launch a comeback, according to Shinedown rocker Brent Smith.

The band split in 1997 and former frontman Chris Cornell recently admitted he would "never count out" the idea of a reunion, after previously insisting there was no chance they would get back together because it would never live up to his expectations.

He said, "My fear would be that we wouldn't tap into the greatness we felt when we were on our game."

However, a mini-reunion of former bandmates Kim Thayil, Ben Shepherd, and Matt Cameron at a gig in Seattle, Washington, in March forced Cornell to rethink his future - and now Smith reveals plans have been set in motion.

He tells Britain's Kerrang! magazine, "There's talk of a reuniting of Soundgarden in the States soon. I know actually someone specific who told me that, who is actually specifically in their organisation. Kinda told me that they're talking about it."

Cornell went on to form Audioslave after Soundgarden split, before carving out a solo career for himself.
2005 - Montreal, Ottawa / 2011 Montreal, Toronto 1, Ottawa / 2013 London, Calgary, Vancouver
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Gary CarterGary Carter Shea Stadium Posts: 13,944
    4 things bout this

1. It will happen
    2. Its probably just gonna be just a america tour so the band can see what its like to tour and be around chris
    3. This will happen during a off year of pj. I would hope ben, kim and chris respect that matt is in pj
    4. Jack irons is retired from drumming. He's a studio drummer for brody dolls band. So don't get your hope ups of him coming back
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• Options
    soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    metsfan wrote:
    4 things bout this

1. It will happen
    2. Its probably just gonna be just a america tour so the band can see what its like to tour and be around chris
    3. This will happen during a off year of pj. I would hope ben, kim and chris respect that matt is in pj
    4. Jack irons is retired from drumming. He's a studio drummer for brody dolls band. So don't get your hope ups of him coming back

3. I hope they steal him back.
    4. Jack would be great, but there are plenty of great drummers that would love to be in PJ.

Who the hell is Brent Smith and why does this news come from a random singer from another band?
  • Options
    LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    If it meant Matt leaving, HELL NO!

Soundgarden was cool back in the day, but so over.
  • Options
    aNiMaLaNiMaL Posts: 7,117
    Yeah, I also think this will happen. And in no way would it ever have to mean that Matt leaves PJ. There is plenty of off time from the PJ camp for him to do a reunion with SG.

I for one am damn stoked about a SG reunion.
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    metsfan wrote:
    4 things bout this

1. It will happen

4. Jack would be great, but there are plenty of great drummers that would love to be in PJ.

Who the hell is Brent Smith and why does this news come from a random singer from another band?
    I HATED Jack's style of drumming for Pearl Jam. Too tribal. Too soft for Pearl Jam. It felt too loose and sloppy. Matt gave the band more structure.. Sorry, I just don't agree at all. I was so glad to see Jack go. With respect for the guy, he is talented, I just don't like his style for Pearl Jam. Not one bit.
    Post edited by LikeAnOcean on
  • Options
    PearlJamPatriotPearlJamPatriot Posts: 2,426
    I missed out on seeing them before they broke up. If they get back together, i will not miss seeing them in concert.
    Pearl Jam Shows: 1998 - 9/11 New York, NY (MSG night 2); 9/13 Hartford, CT || 2000 - 8/24 Wantagh, NY (Jones Beach 2); 8/27 Saratoga Springs; 8/29 Mansfield, MA (night 1); 8/30 Mansfield, MA (night 2) || 2003 - 4/29 Albany, NY; 5/3 State College, PA; 7/2 Mansfield (night 1); 7/6 Camden, NJ (night 2); 7/8 New York, NY (MSG night 1) || 2004 - 9/28 Boston, MA (night 1); 9/29 Boston, MA (night 2) || 2005 - 10/3 Philadelphia, PA || 2006 - 5/12 Albany, NY; 5/13 Hartford, CT; 5/24 Boston, MA (night 1); 5/25 Boston, MA (night 2); 5/27 Camden, NJ (night 1); 5/28 Camden, NJ (night 2)|| 2008 - 6/19 Camden, NJ (night 1); 6/24 New York, NY (MSG night 1); 6/25 New York, NY (MSG night 2); 6/27 Hartford, CT; 6/28 Mansfield, MA (night 1); 6/30 Mansfield, MA (night 2); 7/1 New York, NY (Beacon Theater)|| 2009 - 9/21 Seattle, WA (night 1); 9/22 Seattle, WA (night 2); 10/27 Philadelphia, PA (Spectrum night 1); 10/28 Philadelphia, PA (Spectrum night 2); 10/30 Philadelphia, PA (Spectrum night 3); 10/31 Philadelphia, PA (Spectrum night 4)|| 2010 - 5/15 Hartford, CT; 5/17 Boston, MA; 5/20 New York, NY (MSG night 1); 5/21 New York, NY (MSG night 2)|| 2011 - 9/3 East Troy, WI (PJ20); 9/4 East Troy, WI (PJ20) || 2012 - 9/2 Philadelphia, PA, 9/30 Missoula, MT || 2013 - 7/19 Chicago, IL (Wrigley Field), 10/12 Buffalo, NY, 10/15 Worcester, MA (night 1), 10/16 Worcester, MA (night 2), 10/18 Brooklyn, NY (night 1), 10/19 Brooklyn, NY (night 2), 10/25 Hartford, CT || 2014 - 10/22 Denver, CO || 2015 -  9/26 New York, NY (Global Citizen Festival) || 2016 - 5/1 New York, NY (night 1), 5/2 New York, NY (night 2), 8/5 Boston, MA (Fenway Park night 1), 8/7 Boston, MA (Fenway Park night 2) || 2018 - 9/2 Boston, MA (Fenway Park night 1) || 2020 - 3/30 New York, NY
    Eddie Vedder solo: 2008 - Boston night 1 & 2 || 2009 - Albany, NY night 1 & 2 || 2011 - Hartford, CT, Boston, MA

• Options
    12345AGNST112345AGNST1 Posts: 4,906
    metsfan wrote:
    4 things bout this

1. It will happen

I HATED Jack's style of drumming for Pearl Jam. Too tribal. Too soft for Pearl Jam. It felt too loose and sloppy. Matt gave the band more structure.. Sorry, I just don't agree at all. I was so glad to see Jack go. With respect for the guy, he is talented, I just don't like his style for Pearl Jam. Not one bit.

I agree completely.
    5/28/06, 6/27/08, 10/28/09, 5/18/10, 5/21/10
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
  • Options
    Jokertt14Jokertt14 Posts: 2,566
    i watched a youtube interview with chris about this and he said he has never been asked .. and if anyone one knows why the broke up .. chris and kim was starting to not get along ... would be great though ..

hope i dont get into trouble with this link but i wanted to back up what i said

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--_rz1dHbIk
  • Options
    metsfan wrote:
    4 things bout this

1. It will happen

I think you're exactly wrong. Matt's structure is stifling PJ. The band is a loose and sloppy live band, they always have been. And Matt doesn't groove or jam like the 2 drummers before him. More structure is fatal to the spontaneous, freewheeling energy that made PJ the unparalleled masters of live music in the mid to early 90s. I don't necessarily think Jack needs to come back, but I think they can do better than Matt. Matt's a great drummer... for Tool or Soundgarden or some other metal band that needs precise, metronomic, heavy drumming. PJ needs someone that can play loose and go with the jams everyone else is laying down. They should steal dave matthews' drummer or ben harper's (for the record, I loathe DMB, but their percussion section rocks).
  • Options

I think you're exactly wrong. Matt's structure is stifling PJ. The band is a loose and sloppy live band, they always have been. And Matt doesn't groove or jam like the 2 drummers before him. More structure is fatal to the spontaneous, freewheeling energy that made PJ the unparalleled masters of live music in the mid to early 90s. I don't necessarily think Jack needs to come back, but I think they can do better than Matt. Matt's a great drummer... for Tool or Soundgarden or some other metal band that needs precise, metronomic, heavy drumming. PJ needs someone that can play loose and go with the jams everyone else is laying down. They should steal dave matthews' drummer or ben harper's (for the record, I loathe DMB, but their percussion section rocks).
    It's my opinion though. I think the are too loose with Jack.. Matt balances it out for me.. Maybe Dave fit more, but he's long gone. I like Matt's songs anyhow.
  • Options
    Jimmydean55Jimmydean55 Posts: 1,141
    I hear Jimmy Chamberlin's available... :)
  • Options
    HeavyHandsHeavyHands Posts: 2,130
    I hear Jimmy Chamberlin's available... :)

Pearl Jam mark 2. Jazz Odyssey. Brilliant.
    "A lot more people are capable of being big out there that just don't give themselves a chance." -Stone Gossard
  • Options
    jfconnorjrjfconnorjr Posts: 518
    I think Ed has said that Matt actually saved Pearl Jam. Therefore, Matt is good...

I have seen Soundgarden, Audioslave, and Chris solo and I think that Chris is a bit of a diva. Kim and Matt were the backbone of the band but Chris vocally is amazing so I have to say that if the chemistry is not there it may be anti-climatic.

Regarding the Jimmy Chamberlin comment... that is a good example that you cannot put lighting in a bottle. Siamese Dream is one of the best albums ever but they were never able to recapture that again, Billy is also a diva.

After looking at these two front men (Chirs and Billy) we need to thank our lucky stars that Eddie leads this band and continues to put out great music and offer stellar shows year after year.
  • Options

It's my opinion though. I think the are too loose with Jack.. Matt balances it out for me.. Maybe Dave fit more, but he's long gone. I like Matt's songs anyhow.

Thus I'm all for Matt rejoining Soundgarden and the band finding someone more like Dave that fits their music better ;)
  • Options
    yosiyosi NYC Posts: 2,670
    metsfan wrote:
    4 things bout this

1. It will happen

I actually feel similarly. Jack did some cool things, and I think he was important in the direction PJ took with those albums, but his style just didn't fit. I think the band got a lot tighter and just sound so much better after he left and now with Matt. They just sound much more cohesive.
    you couldn't swing if you were hangin' from a palm tree in a hurricane

• Options
    mca47mca47 Posts: 13,258
    If you think Matt will compromise PJ for anything Soundgarden you are f'n crazy!

I'm not saying he won't do some SG stuff but there is no way he's jeopardizing his gig in PJ for anything else. It will be just a "side project" like everything/one else's.
  • Options
    12345AGNST112345AGNST1 Posts: 4,906

I don't get the whole "too precise" stuff. Matt is always changing his fills around live. He never follows what the studio had, even on his songs. His drumming is very complex at times (mainly during jams like RVM or Porch) but its done in sort of a loose sloppy way.

Precise is Danny Carey, or Rush.
    5/28/06, 6/27/08, 10/28/09, 5/18/10, 5/21/10
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
  • Options
    dustinparduedustinpardue Las Vegas, NV Posts: 1,829
    metsfan wrote:
    4 things bout this

1. It will happen

I agree with this guy. Jack Irons's sound was not good for Pearl Jam.
    "All I Ever Knew" available now in print and digital formats at Amazon, Barnes & Noble, and iBooks.
  • Options
    stratmadstratmad Posts: 208
    I want to fly the flag for Jack Irons. I thought he brought really interesting rhythmic ideas to their music, songs like In My Tree or Given To Fly only sound right (to me) when played with those beats Jack created. The way they are played now live is too straight and the rhythmic flavour is lost. if you want things pounded out, there was nothing wrong with what he did on songs like Brain Oj J, Habit, Lukin, etc. About as hard and to the point as anyone could have played it.

Matt is a top drummer, no doubt about that but there is one thing he does which annoys me to no end - yes, you guessed it - he plays the stuff too damn fast live!

If we're just picking a drummer for PJ, I'd love to see Jack or Dave A. come back, no disrespect to MC. I know it won't happen, and I can live with that too.

As for SG getting back together - in whatever format that takes, if it happens, it would be fantastic.
  • Options
    SolarWorldSolarWorld Posts: 1,902

Thus I'm all for Matt rejoining Soundgarden and the band finding someone more like Dave that fits their music better ;)

Yeah, just what we need... more fucking symbols on the kit :roll:. People trying to say Matt is not right for Pearl Jam are not modern day Pearl Jam fans and really need to move along. Do you really think the band would keep a member if they thought they were being "stifled'? I swear some of the shit people post here is amazing. If you dont like Matt in Pearl Jam, great. But to try and come off like you know more about how Pearl Jam should be making their music than they do is asinine, sorry but it is.
  • Options
    i like matt.ci like matt.c Posts: 1,121
    I'd like to see a reunion but not if it interferes with anything PJ.
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,347
    Ok people let's keep it to the reunion rumor not who the best drummer is for PJ that has been answered long ago, i for one think that reunions really never captured what the feel of the 1st time around was actually most of the time it tarnishes it, my 2c ..........
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    edvedder913edvedder913 Posts: 1,810
    after cornell's latest pop album, a SG reunion seems to be his only chance for any sort of career comeback.

Matty's not goin' anywhere!!!!!
  • Options
    PissBottleManPissBottleMan Union City, TN Posts: 4,154
    As much as I love the time period that Jack was in the band, that ship has sailed. It was a glorious moment in time and yielded (pun intended), two tremendous albums that I fear will never be duplicated by this band.

PBM
    "We paced ourselves and we didn't rush through it and we tried to be as creative as our collective minds would let us be over some course of time instead of just trying to rush through a record"

Wishlist Foundation: http://wishlistfoundation.org
  • Options
    jokertt14 wrote:
    i watched a youtube interview with chris about this and he said he has never been asked .. and if anyone one knows why the broke up .. chris and kim was starting to not get along ... would be great though ..

hope i don't get into trouble with this link but i wanted to back up what i said

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--_rz1dHbIk
    ............................................................................................................................................

I believe what Chris is saying in that youtube interview .. the only thing that is going to make it happen is money .. they put soundgarden away untainted and why wreck that with a reunion even though im with u guy on how awesome that would be .. check out the link .....please
  • Options
    Sent out a twit to Chris and just encase "Vicky Cornell" will post if they respond ..
  • Options
    Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,490
    SolarWorld wrote:

Yeah, just what we need... more fucking symbols on the kit :roll:. People trying to say Matt is not right for Pearl Jam are not modern day Pearl Jam fans and really need to move along. Do you really think the band would keep a member if they thought they were being "stifled'? I swear some of the shit people post here is amazing. If you dont like Matt in Pearl Jam, great. But to try and come off like you know more about how Pearl Jam should be making their music than they do is asinine, sorry but it is.

*facepalm*
  • Options
    I don't have a problem with Matt .. he has been there from the beginning .. even though he was in soundgarden ..

:D:D
  • Options
    Back_PedalBack_Pedal Posts: 1,171
    Oh please, I hope they don't reunite. With Chris' recent 'music' , and despite the fact that his voice has improved since Audioslave, it would be anywhere near what they once were. I can't see this Ken doll version of Cornell up on stage, screaming his lungs out on dirgy metal songs.
    Thanks EPOTTSIII!
    "Vinyl or not, you will need to pay someone to take RA of your hands" - Smile05
    424, xxx
  • Options
    PappasPappas Posts: 809
    is Dave A still drumming? getting him back would be the best. doubt it would ever happen though

i really hope soundgarden get back together though!

a new album from them would be so awesome

Even Flow Psycho Member #039

******Message Pit Australian Tour Members********
    rumour starter President & Member #1

www.myspace.com/pappas99