Options

Preventive detention?? Future murder?

CommyCommy Posts: 4,984
edited May 2009 in A Moving Train
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1uuWVHT1WUY

Obama will be holding prisoners indefinitely without charges. using a justice system he'll "construct", to make sure its all legal... keeping them in prison for up to "10 years from now".

Its aimed "terrorists", ie anyone US military forces happen to run into in its conquest of foreign lands...but if this goes through-imagine how easy it will be when they decide to come for US.

holding people indefinitely with charges for up to 10 YEARS??

that's fucked up.

(thanks abook)
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    TriumphantAngelTriumphantAngel Posts: 1,760
    Until we can release them to their own lunar lander, with black jack and hookers, and until we can release them in accordance with our obligations to international law, it may be we have an obligation to our legal system to at least attempt to make their prolonged detention legal....I don't know, maybe that's their thinking? I don't like it. How is that any different to what's happening today.

They should be charged and the detainees should be given a fair trial. If there is not enough evidence for them to be charged then they should be released.
  • Options
    Drowned OutDrowned Out Posts: 6,056

They should be charged and the detainees should be given a fair trial. If there is not enough evidence for them to be charged then they should be released.

It's pretty simple, huh?
    Why change the system? Just charge them with something and throw 'em in jail. Make special wards if you want. But if you're going to hold these people, charge them.
    I'm guessing there are probably international laws against taking people from other countries and throwing them in your jails that you'd have to manipulate the system to ignore...
    Obama is talking about creating a fucking US gulag system...is this why we're seeing more mainstream discussion of the FEMA camps? Is that where the US is headed?
  • Options
    if they have such little regard for international law, it makes me wonder how easy it will be for them if they ever decide WE are the enemy.
  • Options
    Drowned OutDrowned Out Posts: 6,056
    Commy wrote:
    if they have such little regard for international law, it makes me wonder how easy it will be for them if they ever decide WE are the enemy.
    Ya...and any Canadian that thinks they're insulated from the US (esp in a martial law scenario) is dreaming...
    The borders are being further integrated as we speak...
    There is precedent of Canadians being allowed to be extradited (with RCMP assistance) on terrorism ACCUSATIONS (Omar Khadr - who I believe would technically be an underage prisoner of war, NOT a terrorist...if they ever decided to charge him......Maher Arar, who was deported to Syria and tortured on false information from the RCMP - the officer that supplied the false info was promoted a couple months ago )...

And now this, legal manipulation that will allow non-US citizens to be tried in the American court system, likely outside of international law. It's a little worrisome to have you guys as neighbours when I start thinking this way :( I don't trust our government to protect it's citizens if the US started requesting more 'terrorists' be detained (without charges) and shipped south...
  • Options
    WaveCameCrashinWaveCameCrashin Posts: 2,929
    Commy wrote:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1uuWVHT1WUY

Obama will be holding prisoners indefinitely without charges. using a justice system he'll "construct", to make sure its all legal... keeping them in prison for up to "10 years from now".

Its aimed "terrorists", ie anyone US military forces happen to run into in its conquest of foreign lands...but if this goes through-imagine how easy it will be when they decide to come for US.

holding people indefinitely with charges for up to 10 YEARS??

that's fucked up.

(thanks abook)

no whats fucked up is your views and opinions on all of this stuff but then you have an anarchy sign for your avatar :lol: :?
  • Options
    prfctlefts wrote:

no whats fucked up is your views and opinions on all of this stuff but then you have an anarchy sign for your avatar :lol: :?
    why is that fucked up?
  • Options
    Commy wrote:

Exactly. Everything's all fine and dandy when it's the 'bad guys' whose human rights are swept aside as if they never existed. But what happens when they start painting other groups of people, a little closer to home as suddenly 'bad guys' or 'threats to national security'? What then? At what point is holding other human beings without being charged of any crimes going to make people pause for a moment and start asking questions? Does it always have to be when it's too late to do anything about it?
    If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.

Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.
    -Oscar Wilde