Options

What's the rationale behind announcing one show at a time?

musicismylife78musicismylife78 Posts: 6,117
edited May 2009 in The Porch
I understand the Ten Club's dilemma, they are damned if they do and damned if they dont. If they only announce shows in one huge clump, people complain when they say "we cant announce anything right now, as we are still confirming things". But when they announce shows one at a time, people complain that they are paralyzed as they cant plan their summer or falls accordingly

That said, I for one am more a fan of the "announce the whole tour at once" way of doing things. It would be nice to have a list of shows they will be doing for the year, so we all could plan as neccesary.

What is the rationale behind announcing shows one or two at a time like this? Do you think this new way of doing things, has anything to do with the fact that it seems like from now on, when shows are announced by Ten Club, they go on sale immediately?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    AmentsChickAmentsChick Posts: 6,969
    edited May 2009
    I understand the Ten Club's dilemma, they are damned if they do and damned if they dont. If they only announce shows in one huge clump, people complain when they say "we cant announce anything right now, as we are still confirming things". But when they announce shows one at a time, people complain that they are paralyzed as they cant plan their summer or falls accordingly

That said, I for one am more a fan of the "announce the whole tour at once" way of doing things. It would be nice to have a list of shows they will be doing for the year, so we all could plan as neccesary.

What is the rationale behind announcing shows one or two at a time like this? Do you think this new way of doing things, has anything to do with the fact that it seems like from now on, when shows are announced by Ten Club, they go on sale immediately?

Why not wait to announce the entire tour until it's confirmed? :?
    Post edited by AmentsChick on
    This is the greatest band in the world -- Ben Harper

• Options
    benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,940

They don't even need to do a list of shows - all they need to do is provide a gist of what the tour's going to look like... "a limited number of shows in Europe mid-August", or "an extensive tour leg in the USA and Canada on the East Coast in the Fall". I think that'd be more than sufficient. The truth is, though, for these few shows, it wouldn't have made sense to give much advance notice. Clearly the band is doing very few shows in NA this year, so getting tickets would have been impossible if lots of notice was given.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    OGT92OGT92 Posts: 1,588
    At least they could have posted on Friday that there were only 2 more shows up for sale today and tell us where they are, so we don't have to waste the whole day worrying about it. Why have the tweet tweet bullshit. I don't think one of us on the board like that or are amused by it. Just cut to the chase...
    "I read about the evils of drinking, so I gave up reading." - Henry Youngman
  • Options
    FlaggFlagg Posts: 5,856
    I hate it too, but the rationale is the entire 10C membership freaks out and buys tickets thinking those will be the only shows.

Then they announce a couple more and the entire 10C membership freaks out and buys tickets thinking those will be the only shows.

And so it goes.

Case in point, I bought Chicago tickets when there is a really good chance they will play somewhere much closer later this year (besides ACL).
    DAL-7/5/98,10/17/00,6/9/03,11/15/13
    BOS-9/28/04,9/29/04,6/28/08,6/30/08, 9/5/16, 9/7/16, 9/2/18
    MTL-9/15/05, OTT-9/16/05
    PHL-5/27/06,5/28/06,10/30/09,10/31/09
    CHI-8/2/07,8/5/07,8/23/09,8/24/09
    HTFD-6/27/08
    ATX-10/4/09, 10/12/14
    KC-5/3/2010,STL-5/4/2010
    Bridge School-10/23/2010,10/24/2010
    PJ20-9/3/2011,9/4/2011
    OKC-11/16/13
    SEA-12/6/13
    TUL-10/8/14
  • Options
    Ryan_WFCRyan_WFC Posts: 1,320
    edited May 2009
    Flagg wrote:
    I hate it too, but the rationale is the entire 10C membership freaks out and buys tickets thinking those will be the only shows.

Then they announce a couple more and the entire 10C membership freaks out and buys tickets thinking those will be the only shows.

And so it goes.

Case in point, I bought Chicago tickets when there is a really good chance they will play somewhere much closer later this year (besides ACL).

But how does that benefit 10-C? In this age of Ticketmaster limits on fan club seats per show, the vast majority of 10-C's allotments sell out quickly, no matter how/when they make announcements.

And it's not as if Ticketmaster gives 10-C the tickets free of charge; we pay fewer fees via 10-C, which means they can't be making much of a profit on ticket sales, if any.
    "They said ... timing was everything
    made him ... want to be everywhere
    there's a ... lot to be said for nowhere."
  • Options
    benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,940
    OGT92 wrote:
    At least they could have posted on Friday that there were only 2 more shows up for sale today and tell us where they are, so we don't have to waste the whole day worrying about it. Why have the tweet tweet bullshit. I don't think one of us on the board like that or are amused by it. Just cut to the chase...
    They gave us specific hints regarding two different cities. I don't think they could've been any clearer than that while keeping it cryptic :lol:
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479
    benjs wrote:
    Clearly the band is doing very few shows in NA this year

what makes you say that?
  • Options
    AmentsChickAmentsChick Posts: 6,969
    benjs wrote:
    OGT92 wrote:
    They gave us specific hints regarding two different cities. I don't think they could've been any clearer than that while keeping it cryptic :lol:

""Coo Roo coo coo coo coo coo coo" The little birdy's channeling a bit of Bob McKenzie, eh? He's in such a giddy mood that he tweeted this second little ditty....Tweet, tweet, hear the beat,
    Give me something good to eat.
    (like deep dish pizza)
    You'll be sweet and on your feet,
    All paid up (by May 3rd) - and in your seat.... Read More
    ( Be sure your memberships are all up-to-date by May 3rd."

Where in this message does it say that the only two shows announced would be Chicago and Toronto and that tix would be available for sale at 10am PT 5/4??
    This is the greatest band in the world -- Ben Harper

• Options
    PissBottleManPissBottleMan Union City, TN Posts: 4,154
    *These are all great concerns, please type them up and place them in the suggestion box before you leave for the day.

*Please use a Times New Roman Font no larger than 12 point, single spaced on bond paper. Also, all suggestions must be signed and dated or they will not be used for consideration. All suggestions submitted will be answered one a day until completion. Thanks!

PBM
    "We paced ourselves and we didn't rush through it and we tried to be as creative as our collective minds would let us be over some course of time instead of just trying to rush through a record"

Wishlist Foundation: http://wishlistfoundation.org
  • Options
    OGT92OGT92 Posts: 1,588
    benjs wrote:
    OGT92 wrote:

Actually, they could have been more clear, if they just said there are 2 more shows in blah, blah, blah being added. How hard is that???????
    "I read about the evils of drinking, so I gave up reading." - Henry Youngman
  • Options
    pjhawkpjhawk Posts: 20
    I thought the message was pretty clear 1 Canada show and 1 Chicago show, and I think it is fair to assume that the Canada show would be toward the Atlantic, but they could have been more specific with that I suppose. I think the tweet tweet thing is just a fun little thing to do, plus people get their panties in a wad about it...double fun.
  • Options
    YieldToNothingYieldToNothing Posts: 3,667
    these shows bridge the gap between europe and outside lands. that's probably why they were announced on their own.

you'll have a legit gripe if they announce the shows between OSL and ACL one or two at a time.
    i have a paper here that entitles me to fast track status
  • Options
    yosiyosi NYC Posts: 2,646
    Is it not possible that they are only doing 6 shows in the coming months?

I don't understand why people automatically assume there are more shows on the way. (Granted, if there are more shows coming, than I agree that doing it one at a time is not the best strategy).

I have feeling they are doing these 8 shows, then finishing up the album, and will do some serious touring come the winter.
    you couldn't swing if you were hangin' from a palm tree in a hurricane

• Options
    BeerBaronBeerBaron Toronto-ish Posts: 4,089
    The rationale is likely that these 2 shows, similar to the 4 in Europe, are "special shows" that are not means to be part of any tour or mini-tour. The mini tour will be in the south and/or the west coast and I would expect all of those to be announced together and there will likely be announced on sale times that are staggered, much like last year.
    1996: Toronto 1998: Barrie 2000: Saratoga Springs 2003: Buffalo, Toronto 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto 2006: Toronto x2, Cleveland, Detroit, Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, Gorge #1 2007: London, Dusseldorf, Vic, Lolla 2008: WPB, Tampa, DC, MSG x2, Hartford, Boston x2, Beacon 2009: Toronto, Chicago x2, Seattle x2, LA #3&4, San Diego, Philly x4 2010: Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford 2011: Montreal, Toronto x2, Hamilton 2012: Missoula 2013: London, Wrigley, Pittsburgh, Buffalo, Hartford, Dallas, OKC
  • Options
    I'D RATHER BEI'D RATHER BE Posts: 528
    They probably have to wait due to the festivals. There is probably some agreement that they can't announce certain Pearl Jam only shows so that the festivals will sell better. If they did Pearl Jam only shows in the cities near by, chances are that most fans would only go to these. I know I would.
  • Options
    PearlJamPatriotPearlJamPatriot Posts: 2,426
    They probably have to wait due to the festivals. There is probably some agreement that they can't announce certain Pearl Jam only shows so that the festivals will sell better. If they did Pearl Jam only shows in the cities near by, chances are that most fans would only go to these. I know I would.
    Actually, I heard something like that too. Its within a certain number of miles from the festival.
    Pearl Jam Shows: 1998 - 9/11 New York, NY (MSG night 2); 9/13 Hartford, CT || 2000 - 8/24 Wantagh, NY (Jones Beach 2); 8/27 Saratoga Springs; 8/29 Mansfield, MA (night 1); 8/30 Mansfield, MA (night 2) || 2003 - 4/29 Albany, NY; 5/3 State College, PA; 7/2 Mansfield (night 1); 7/6 Camden, NJ (night 2); 7/8 New York, NY (MSG night 1) || 2004 - 9/28 Boston, MA (night 1); 9/29 Boston, MA (night 2) || 2005 - 10/3 Philadelphia, PA || 2006 - 5/12 Albany, NY; 5/13 Hartford, CT; 5/24 Boston, MA (night 1); 5/25 Boston, MA (night 2); 5/27 Camden, NJ (night 1); 5/28 Camden, NJ (night 2)|| 2008 - 6/19 Camden, NJ (night 1); 6/24 New York, NY (MSG night 1); 6/25 New York, NY (MSG night 2); 6/27 Hartford, CT; 6/28 Mansfield, MA (night 1); 6/30 Mansfield, MA (night 2); 7/1 New York, NY (Beacon Theater)|| 2009 - 9/21 Seattle, WA (night 1); 9/22 Seattle, WA (night 2); 10/27 Philadelphia, PA (Spectrum night 1); 10/28 Philadelphia, PA (Spectrum night 2); 10/30 Philadelphia, PA (Spectrum night 3); 10/31 Philadelphia, PA (Spectrum night 4)|| 2010 - 5/15 Hartford, CT; 5/17 Boston, MA; 5/20 New York, NY (MSG night 1); 5/21 New York, NY (MSG night 2)|| 2011 - 9/3 East Troy, WI (PJ20); 9/4 East Troy, WI (PJ20) || 2012 - 9/2 Philadelphia, PA, 9/30 Missoula, MT || 2013 - 7/19 Chicago, IL (Wrigley Field), 10/12 Buffalo, NY, 10/15 Worcester, MA (night 1), 10/16 Worcester, MA (night 2), 10/18 Brooklyn, NY (night 1), 10/19 Brooklyn, NY (night 2), 10/25 Hartford, CT || 2014 - 10/22 Denver, CO || 2015 -  9/26 New York, NY (Global Citizen Festival) || 2016 - 5/1 New York, NY (night 1), 5/2 New York, NY (night 2), 8/5 Boston, MA (Fenway Park night 1), 8/7 Boston, MA (Fenway Park night 2) || 2018 - 9/2 Boston, MA (Fenway Park night 1) || 2020 - 3/30 New York, NY
    Eddie Vedder solo: 2008 - Boston night 1 & 2 || 2009 - Albany, NY night 1 & 2 || 2011 - Hartford, CT, Boston, MA

• Options
    Vedder_Girl77Vedder_Girl77 Posts: 4,335
    Does anyone have any credible information that more US tour dates will be announced? Or are all of us just speculating?

I saw that some of you already new the exact dates for Toronto & Chicago before they were announced here...so tell me where else are they rumored to be playing this year?
    8/29/00, 7/3/03, 5/24/06,6/28/08 & 6/30/08, 10/9/09,10/28/09, 10/30/09 & 10/31/09, 5/15/10, 5/17/10, 5/18/10, 5/20/10 & 5/21/10, 10/23/10 & 10/24/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 9/11/11, 9/12/11, 9/23/11, 9/22/12, 9/30/12, 7/16/13, 7/19/13
  • Options
    youngsteryoungster Boston Posts: 6,574
    Does anyone have any credible information that more US tour dates will be announced? Or are all of us just speculating?

I saw that some of you already new the exact dates for Toronto & Chicago before they were announced here...so tell me where else are they rumored to be playing this year?

Ironically enough, the Toronto and Chicago show dates were up on Ticketbastards website early this morning hours before the pre-sale started.
    He who forgets will be destined to remember.

9/29/04 Boston, 6/28/08 Mansfield, 8/23/09 Chicago, 5/15/10 Hartford
    5/17/10 Boston, 10/15/13 Worcester, 10/16/13 Worcester, 10/25/13 Hartford
    8/5/16 Fenway, 8/7/16 Fenway
    EV Solo: 6/16/11 Boston, 6/18/11 Hartford,
  • Options
    I'D RATHER BEI'D RATHER BE Posts: 528
    Some of the band members have said in interviews that they would play the west coast and the south.