Options

I am thinking of going to Europe and need help!

InHiding19InHiding19 Posts: 2,385
edited April 2009 in The Porch
1) Where to stay for cheap (hostiles and links to reservations to them)
2) Travel from city to city (the most inexpensive way whether its air or rail)
3) Anything other useful tips.
Out of the Blue and Into the Black................Uncle Neil Philly 08 here I come!!!!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    CalumCalum Posts: 635
    my advice... hold off dude. There has to be some PJ usa dates for you soon enough. The 4 gigs, aren't in the greatest of places (the uk ones) and I am sure you can save plenty of money by staying home. But if you do decide you 100% want to go, I'll help as much as I can.
    London Astoria - Dublin - Wembley - Shepherds Bush - London 02
  • Options
    I'm trying to go too. I'll probably be looking into details in the next couple of weeks.
  • Options
    InHiding19InHiding19 Posts: 2,385
    I just want to go to Europe though and PJ is a excuse.
    Out of the Blue and Into the Black................Uncle Neil Philly 08 here I come!!!!
  • Options
    McJuicyMcJuicy Posts: 747
    did you find a good rate on airfare or were you planning on redeeming dividend miles?
    buf dtw buf sce yyz tol grr yhm yyz pit yyz yyz pit bna cae aus lax lax san phl phl cle buf mke mke atl pit buf clt san lax lax gsp cae bna sea sea
  • Options
    BeerBaronBeerBaron Toronto-ish Posts: 4,089
    I briefly checked prices for flights from Toronto and they are ridiculous. I'd consider paying $1,000 to visit somewhere like Rome, Vienna or Marseille ... but not for the 4 places they have chosen to play this time (and no disrespect is intended with that comment). I'll save up my cash for shows in the US and the rumoured return to Europe some time in the next year or so.
    1996: Toronto 1998: Barrie 2000: Saratoga Springs 2003: Buffalo, Toronto 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto 2006: Toronto x2, Cleveland, Detroit, Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, Gorge #1 2007: London, Dusseldorf, Vic, Lolla 2008: WPB, Tampa, DC, MSG x2, Hartford, Boston x2, Beacon 2009: Toronto, Chicago x2, Seattle x2, LA #3&4, San Diego, Philly x4 2010: Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford 2011: Montreal, Toronto x2, Hamilton 2012: Missoula 2013: London, Wrigley, Pittsburgh, Buffalo, Hartford, Dallas, OKC
  • Options
    that's pretty much where i stand as well, a four show mini stint does not offer all that i had hoped, most notably amsterdam barcelona and italy - that said, i could easily be suaded if there was a contingency of folk traveling abroad, and the airfare was reasonably priced - in terms of getting to all the shows, well, i've traveled europe before and am quite comfortable with my ability to obtain high value for minimum expense
    buf dtw buf sce yyz tol grr yhm yyz pit yyz yyz pit bna cae aus lax lax san phl phl cle buf mke mke atl pit buf clt san lax lax gsp cae bna sea sea
  • Options
    Oxxys wrote:
    I just want to go to Europe though and PJ is a excuse.

Yeah, I'm going to be in Germany already too. PJ isn't so much an excuse for me as it is a nice bonus to my trip.
  • Options
    I can hook you up with a place to stay in Manchester, and a lift from there down to London the following day if you're interested.
  • Options
    dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    Oxxys wrote:

1. you shouldnt stay with hostiles... they wont like you... try a hostel though... they are cheap.
    2. the UK is an island... to get from Germany you'll need to fly... or drive all the way to northern france and get the eurostar.. once in the UK train is probably the best/quickest/cheapest way from then on.
    3. always check the white load of washing for a renegade red sock.

no need to thank me ;)
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • Options
    i'm basically in the same boat, my best friend has always wanted to go to europe to follow pj around and her birthday happens to be August 19 a day after the last show ends. however neither of us have much money, especially me since i'm in australia so i've been trying to do everything to make it a great trip, which means spending a bit of money. she wanted to couch surf but that's kind of out of the question for me since my mom is not letting me go if that's the case (and i'm not really objecting since i haven't seen my family in months so it would suck to come back home just to have to go again, plus i saw Taken so i'm kind of all right with passing on couchsurfing :) ). what i gather from this thread is that it's better to wait then? do you really think there will be another tour soon? i'm kinda on the fence, im scared that the next euro tour will be when i'm either a senior or a grad student and cant really take a semester off to go visit europe... :? oh what to do what to do...
    PJ: 9/29/04, 5/12/06, 5/13/06, 6/22/08, 6/24/08, 6/25/08, 6/27/08, 6/30/08, 10/30/09, 10/31/09, 5/18/10, 5/20/10, 5/21/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/18/13, 8/7/16
    eV: 8/4/08, 8/5/08, 6/21/11
    SG: 10/4/08<-- MET STONE!!!
  • Options
    Hitch-HikerHitch-Hiker Posts: 2,873
    If you're looking for hostels check out www.hostelworld.com
    when I went interrailing it helped a lot.
    I'll Ride The Wave Where It Takes Me
  • Options
    i found airfare from newark for 299 + 99 in taxes, total r/t expense $398
    this fits my budget, so tempting
  • Options
    JennytreeJennytree Posts: 5,340
    To get around Europe, try http://skyscanner.net and http://ryanair.com for cheap flights. I got a flight from Berlin to Manchester via Dusseldorf for €50. Trains in the UK are cheap if you book 12 weeks in advance. For hostels, try Hitch's suggestion, also http://www.hotels.com
    This is me:
    http://www.facebook.com/jennytree

SMELL YER MA!
  • Options
    dunkman wrote:
    Oxxys wrote:

1. you shouldnt stay with hostiles... they wont like you... try a hostel though... they are cheap.
    2. the UK is an island... to get from Germany you'll need to fly... or drive all the way to northern france and get the eurostar.. once in the UK train is probably the best/quickest/cheapest way from then on.
    3. always check the white load of washing for a renegade red sock.

no need to thank me ;)
    OMFG.... I LOL'd.... a lot.

on a more serious note: I echo the comments about flying to Europe in summer ($$$$). I know you said you just want to go to europe, but unless you're swimming in cash, which I assume you're not since you're asking for cost saving ideas, I'd hold off, wait to see if they announce a different schedule for the EU. Even just into September and the prices start to fall.

that being said, "carpe diem" and get your ass over there. It's awesome. I lived in Dresden (2 hours south of Berlin) for 3.5 years. I say go, take a minimum of 2 weeks, land in Berlin (JFK to Tegal there are usually some reasonably cheap flights, and it's direct, or at least it was), and get a Europass (train ticket that basically lets you get on (more or less) any train and go anywhere, any time. Also, http://www.hrs.com was always one of the best sites for cheap hotels. Trains at http://www.bahn.de (at the top there's an "english" page link).

Hope this helps.
  • Options
    Anyone else confused about why this tour is so short? Four shows and two countries seems almost silly for a major rock band to make all the effort. Not that I would go even if there were 30 shows, but I am just baffled regarding the underlying logic of this *very* mini-tour.
    "Goddamn Romans. Sure know how to make a ... drum room." --Matt Cameron
  • Options
    3 countries.... ;)
  • Options
    InMyTree4InMyTree4 Posts: 1,239
    the 02 arenas press release said they would be back in the months after the release of the new album for a full european tour
    PJ:7/2/03.9/28/04.5/25/06.8/5/07.6/14/08.6/27/08.6/28/08.6/30/08.
    10/30/09.10/31/09.5/17/10.9/7/11
    EV:boston 1+2.albnay 1.boston 2010
  • Options
    3 countries.... ;)

oh right--i always forget the netherlands is a real country
    "Goddamn Romans. Sure know how to make a ... drum room." --Matt Cameron
  • Options
    dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    3 countries.... ;)

oh right--i always forget the netherlands is a real country

yeah its right next to Narnia.
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.