Options

Poll: Which Year (series) Are The Best Sounding Bootlegs?

HeavyHandsHeavyHands Posts: 2,130
edited April 2009 in The Porch
*** Open for ONE WEEK from OP. I will compile and make available some statistics on the OP after the poll closes so if you drop your $0.02 here be sure to check back and leave your comments and thoughts about the trends.****

***Please only vote for a year (bootleg series) once. Please only vote once per person. If you vote more than once I will only count your original ballot.***

There has been a lot of discussion and debate going on recently about which series of officially released Pearl Jam bootlegs are "the best." I'm creating this poll to see if we can differentiate between our feelings of whether the band plays at too fast a tempo, and the quality of how the actual recording sounds. If people truly perceive that there has been a significant reduction in quality for the listener then the PJ organization deserves to know about it. Numbers always help sell your case if you're going to argue it so...

There are several areas in which to leave your vote. Please fill in each area. If you have other ideas not provided for feel free to leave them at the bottom of your post. An example ballot* is all the way at the bottom.

1. Which year of official releases sounds the best overall? Pick one of the following...
a. 2000
b. 2003
c. 2004 (Benaroya Hall)
d. 2005
e. 2006
f. 2008

2. How you bought it:
a. CD
b. FLAC/Download
c. mp3/Download
d. Other...

3. What format do you listen to it in:
a. Original (silver) CD
b. Burned download to a CD
c. FLAC
d. mp3 (192KHz or higher)
e. mp3 (160 KHz or lower)
f. Other...

4. How you listen to it:
a. Car
b. Home Stereo
c. Computer w/speakers
d. Computer w/ headphones
e. Mp3 player w/speakers
f. Mp3 player w/headphones
g. A combination of the above (be specific)
h. Other...

5. Does the band play too fast overall in this year?
a. Y
b. N

6. When deciding my vote I referenced more than one show from the same year instead of just picking my favorite and deciding that it was the best.
a. Y
b. N

7. Why is this year the best in terms of sound quality?

8. If there is a pre 2000 bootleg I would rather the new shows sound like it would be: (Title of unofficial boot, Date of show, Venue, label of release if applicable)

*EXAMPLE Ballot: (Save time by just leaving the number of the question and the letter representing your vote.)
1. a
2. a
3. d
4. g. I hook up my mp3 player to my home stereo.
5. b
6. b (honesty counts!)
7. My vote is that 2000's bootlegs are the best because no one is buried in the mix. I can clearly hear every band member's playing. The recordings sound warm/rich and full instead of cold/thin and tinny.
8. Pearl Jam: Burning, April 4, 1994, Atlanta GA, Alley Kat 035/36
"A lot more people are capable of being big out there that just don't give themselves a chance." -Stone Gossard
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    redeyeredeye Posts: 620
    HeavyHands wrote:
    *** Open for ONE WEEK from OP. I will compile and make available some statistics on the OP after the poll closes so if you drop your $0.02 here be sure to check back and leave your comments and thoughts about the trends.****

***Please only vote for a year (bootleg series) once. Please only vote once per person. If you vote more than once I will only count your original ballot.***

There has been a lot of discussion and debate going on recently about which series of officially released Pearl Jam bootlegs are "the best." I'm creating this poll to see if we can differentiate between our feelings of whether the band plays at too fast a tempo, and the quality of how the actual recording sounds. If people truly perceive that there has been a significant reduction in quality for the listener then the PJ organization deserves to know about it. Numbers always help sell your case if you're going to argue it so...

There are several areas in which to leave your vote. Please fill in each area. If you have other ideas not provided for feel free to leave them at the bottom of your post. An example ballot* is all the way at the bottom.

1. Which year of official releases sounds the best overall? Pick one of the following...
    a. 2000
    b. 2003
    c. 2004 (Benaroya Hall)
    d. 2005
    e. 2006
    f. 2008

2. How you bought it:
    a. CD
    b. FLAC/Download
    c. mp3/Download
    d. Other...

3. What format do you listen to it in:
    a. Original (silver) CD
    b. Burned download to a CD
    c. FLAC
    d. mp3 (192KHz or higher)
    e. mp3 (160 KHz or lower)
    f. Other...

4. How you listen to it:
    a. Car
    b. Home Stereo
    c. Computer w/speakers
    d. Computer w/ headphones
    e. Mp3 player w/speakers
    f. Mp3 player w/headphones
    g. A combination of the above (be specific)
    h. Other...

a. Y
    b. N

6. When deciding my vote I referenced more than one show from the same year instead of just picking my favorite and deciding that it was the best.
    a. Y
    b. N

8. If there is a pre 2000 bootleg I would rather the new shows sound like it would be: (Title of unofficial boot, Date of show, Venue, label of release if applicable)

*EXAMPLE Ballot: (Save time by just leaving the number of the question and the letter representing your vote.)
    1. a
    2. a
    3. d
    4. g. I hook up my mp3 player to my home stereo.
    5. b
    6. b (honesty counts!)
    7. My vote is that 2000's bootlegs are the best because no one is buried in the mix. I can clearly hear every band member's playing. The recordings sound warm/rich and full instead of cold/thin and tinny.
    8. Pearl Jam: Burning, April 4, 1994, Atlanta GA, Alley Kat 035/36

1.A
    2.A
    3.A
    4.A
    5.B
    6.A
    7.EDS Voice is sooo strong on this tour
    8. Flashpoint, 92 i think, its in my car!!!!
  • Options
    A
    A
    A
    F
    B
    A
    All Of 95
    Tour with fucking NOFX
  • Options
    12345AGNST112345AGNST1 Posts: 4,906
    keepin it simple. the 2000 bootlegs have the best sound quality.
    5/28/06, 6/27/08, 10/28/09, 5/18/10, 5/21/10
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
  • Options
    FlaggFlagg Posts: 5,856
    1. A
    2. A mix of the above. Most on CD but picked up some later through trades, downloads, etc.
    3. MP3 or whatever format the iPod converts the CD to, so I guess D is the answer?
    4. G - a combination of A, C and F.
    5. B
    6. A
    7. You can actually hear all of the instuments. You can easily tell the difference between Stone's tone and Mike's, even when Mike is not soloing. Ed's voice sounds fantastic on this tour. The band is tight. Very few mistakes as compared to later tours. The crowd is not too loud or too quiet. The setlists were more varied. I know that reflects on the band more than the actual sound of the CDs so I think that clouds my judgement. I always thought 2003 sounded muddy. Sometimes it is hard to distinguish each instrument from each other when all three guitars, bass and drums are going. I like 2006 as well, but it was inconsistent. For every good sounding boot, there is one that isn't. But I think the 2006 boots were a huge step up from 2005 and better than 2003 as well.
    2008 was horrible in terms of sound. Mike is non-existent in some and the crowd noise is so quiet that the sing-alongs sound stupid.
    8. Live on Two Legs sounds better than any of the pre-2000 unofficial boots so I'll vote for that.
    DAL-7/5/98,10/17/00,6/9/03,11/15/13
    BOS-9/28/04,9/29/04,6/28/08,6/30/08, 9/5/16, 9/7/16, 9/2/18
    MTL-9/15/05, OTT-9/16/05
    PHL-5/27/06,5/28/06,10/30/09,10/31/09
    CHI-8/2/07,8/5/07,8/23/09,8/24/09
    HTFD-6/27/08
    ATX-10/4/09, 10/12/14
    KC-5/3/2010,STL-5/4/2010
    Bridge School-10/23/2010,10/24/2010
    PJ20-9/3/2011,9/4/2011
    OKC-11/16/13
    SEA-12/6/13
    TUL-10/8/14
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,413
    1. a/b
    2. a
    3. a
    4. g, all of the above
    5. b
    6. a
    7. a, because they are so ballsy and in your face an b, because Ed sounds great, the RA songs are performed with some balls(as opposed to the album versions), Mike sounds f'in awesome.
    8. I don't really care. I'll be happy if they put a out a vinyl from every era.
  • Options
    JordyWordyJordyWordy Posts: 2,257
    1 - c. 2004 (Benaroya Hall)
    2nd place goes to 2006 tour (particularly Bern, Switzerland)
    2 - c. mp3/Download

3 - d. mp3 (192KHz or higher)

4 - f. Mp3 player w/headphones

b. N

6 - a. Y

Perfect mix of band & crowd. Overall Warm sound, clear Ed vocals, distinct instruments, crisp drums, Fat low & full bass.

8 - Drop In The Park
    - Atlanta 94
  • Options
    Given to...Given to... Wyoming Posts: 4,982
    A
    A
    A,D
    ALL
    B
    A
    CUZ
    Road Rage, Salt Lake City, 11-1-1995
    "...would you like some forks?" EV 12-02-06
  • Options
    rival.rival. Chicago Posts: 7,776
    1. A
    2. A
    3. A
    4. B
    5. Y
    6. Y
    7. One of Eddie's strongest tours
  • Options
    i'm not reading through or answering a questionnaire, but to answer the thread-title question; it was definitely, hands-down 2003.
    If nothing is everything, I'll have it all
  • Options
    thunderDANthunderDAN Posts: 2,094
    I think the 2008 boots sound like shit, too bassy

E
    C
    D
    F
  • Options
    HeavyHandsHeavyHands Posts: 2,130
    i'm not reading through or answering a questionnaire, but to answer the thread-title question; it was definitely, hands-down 2003.

Come on man! At least its an opportunity to spin some PJ! ;)
    "A lot more people are capable of being big out there that just don't give themselves a chance." -Stone Gossard